Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2009, 16:28   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
oh oh!

Does that mean end of pictures in this travelogue?
Not really but it would not click sometimes in variable modes and had to use mostly auto mode.

Contd...

Next we decided to drive down to South Goa and check out some beaches and our first stop being the Colva Beach. While driving we had packed some snacks ( Chicken Pies, Egg Rolls) and were munching on them and we collected the trash in a plastic cover and kept it in the car and waited for some place to dump it.

We reached Colva and got a called from another Team-BHP member (Naveen.KK) who was in Old Goa and he was asking directions to Colva and we just sat in the car for quite a long time since it was raining heavily and we could not even step out.

After sometime, we saw a scorpio pull next to us and see Naveen and his friend jump out. We exchanged pleasantries and they headed out to the beach.

After sometime we stepped out and if you have been to Colva Beach, there's a drainage type of water flowing under the ramp just before you approach the beach.

I dropped that small plastic packet into that and heard someone clapping and turned around to see 2 couples on motorcyles and one of the guy was sarcastically clapping his hand mentioning " Great Job, My friend" obviously he meant i was spoiling the environment.

I politely told him sorry about that and gestured no other place place i can think of throwing this packet due to the continous rains. He seemed to want to pick up a fight, Then he used an abusive word and that was that. I realized politeness does not work with this bloke and had a major scuffle and ensured he got a proper lesson in behavioural management ( especially when he is accompanied with his wife/girlfriend). I am sure later on he must have regretted for picking up a intentional fight with a bunch of strangers ( that too 4 of them)

Some queries :

1. I am aware that throwing away plastic in public place is not appropriate for our environment but i was bound by that particular weather related cirumstance and I even apologized to him for doing so. But, he still wanted to pick a fight. Was he right or I was right in thrashing him?

2. How many of us take this issue seriously? Do we stow away plastic carefully till you see a proper dustbin to throw it? I for one always do that and never throw anything out of a moving car like chip packets, used plastic cover or any other trash.

Finally, i thought the issue was trivial ( considering again the cirumstances) and he blowed it over the top.

Here are some pictures while returning from Colva to Panjim on the highway
Attached Thumbnails
Goa Vacation Amidst Tri-State Floods-dsc_9438.jpg  

Goa Vacation Amidst Tri-State Floods-dsc_9461.jpg  

Goa Vacation Amidst Tri-State Floods-dsc_9463.jpg  

Goa Vacation Amidst Tri-State Floods-dsc_9466.jpg  

Old 13th October 2009, 16:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Some queries :

1. I am aware that throwing away plastic in public place is not appropriate for our environment but i was bound by that particular weather related cirumstance and I even apologized to him for doing so. But, he still wanted to pick a fight. Was he right or I was right in thrashing him?

2. How many of us take this issue seriously? Do we stow away plastic carefully till you see a proper dustbin to throw it? I for one always do that and never throw anything out of a moving car like chip packets, used plastic cover or any other trash.

Finally, i thought the issue was trivial ( considering again the cirumstances) and he blowed it over the top.

Here are some pictures while returning from Colva to Panjim on the highway
Avi,

I don't know whether you were right or wrong, but the thumb rule thatI follow is that carry trash bags and dump everything in them and then at the end of the day dump it in the hotel or dustbin if I get to see. One thing that I saw in Ladakh was the creation of Litter Bins every 20-30 KMs for people to drop their rubbish and keep the environment clean.

Having said that, I would say that the guy was definitely out of line and may be what you did was the best solution at that given point oftime.
Old 13th October 2009, 17:03   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Avi, as far as I remember, it was just drizzling lightly when we were chit-chatting on the road. As we were slowly walking towards Sinerquim Beach, it started raining heavily. I thought your camera was pretty much safe in my car, when we kept it there. I never knew it was already drenched in rain.
Actually yes, it was drizzling when we were chatting then you left towards the beach and i collected the camera from your car and was left stranded since it started pouring and there was no shelter so stood at the entrance of the resort for a good 20 minutes or more. In that process the camera did get exposed to quite a bit of rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Avi,

I don't know whether you were right or wrong, but the thumb rule thatI follow is that carry trash bags and dump everything in them and then at the end of the day dump it in the hotel or dustbin if I get to see. One thing that I saw in Ladakh was the creation of Litter Bins every 20-30 KMs for people to drop their rubbish and keep the environment clean.

Having said that, I would say that the guy was definitely out of line and may be what you did was the best solution at that given point oftime.
Well, the attitude or the way he expressed it was totally wrong. Instead of sarcastically clapping and using abusive word, had he politely made his point that scuffle would never have happened and i would have been the guy regretting for doing that heinous crime ( of throwing the plastic carrybag).
Old 13th October 2009, 17:15   #49
BHPian

Quote:
had he politely made his point that scuffle would never have happened and i would have been the guy regretting for doing that heinous crime ( of throwing the plastic carrybag)
Rudeness seems to come to us quite naturally. I've met many many people who make a point politely, but unfortunately they are in the minority.

It's been great following your travelogue considering that even I was in Goa the same weekend - based at calangute. But since ours was going to be a very short trip, my friends and I took the trains there and back.
Now that you mentioned it, I remember we overheard some of the waiters at Britto's discussing in goan about a group of women (who were at another table) who were involved in some incident on the beach - dunno if it was Baga or Calangute - maybe they were the same group you guys encountered?

Last edited by gomzi : 13th October 2009 at 17:19.
Old 13th October 2009, 17:31   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Rudeness seems to come to us quite naturally. I've met many many people who make a point politely, but unfortunately they are in the minority.

It's been great following your travelogue considering that even I was in Goa the same weekend - based at calangute. But since ours was going to be a very short trip, my friends and I took the trains there and back.
Now that you mentioned it, I remember we overheard some of the waiters at Britto's discussing in goan about a group of women (who were at another table) who were involved in some incident on the beach - dunno if it was Baga or Calangute - maybe they were the same group you guys encountered?
Thanks.

It was on a Saturday afternoon ( Oct 3rd) and they did create an uproar at Baga from 2pm in afternoon until late in the evening and not to mention because of them a couple of shacks and Brittos did some brisk business.
Old 13th October 2009, 17:37   #51
Senior - BHPian

Well, well... Now I am very curious to know what that incident was.

You guys are talking about a group of women, who created some uproar, gave good business to shacks, and sitting at the table next to yours.
Old 13th October 2009, 17:42   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Actually yes, it was drizzling when we were chatting then you left towards the beach and i collected the camera from your car and was left stranded since it started pouring and there was no shelter so stood at the entrance of the resort for a good 20 minutes or more. In that process the camera did get exposed to quite a bit of rain
Thats bad Avi, my friend was sitting in the car all the time, till it stopped raining. You could have taken shelter in my car. Hope your camera is working properly now.
Old 14th October 2009, 09:16   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You guys are talking about a group of women, who created some uproar, gave good business to shacks, and sitting at the table next to yours.
Wait till you hear what happened on Saturday afternoon. I am right now on a friday evening dinnner part

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Thats bad Avi, my friend was sitting in the car all the time, till it stopped raining. You could have taken shelter in my car. Hope your camera is working properly now.
I wanted to take some pictures so i took the camera back from him and suddenly the rain gods got angry. So nothing that i could do.

Nope, the camera has gone kaput. It clicks only in Auto mode and that too at 55mm zoom all other modes and lesser zooms dont work. God knows what the problem

Contd......

So we continued on to the Calangute and Baga area and went straight up to Brittos for hanging out at the beach front and subsequently had our dinner there. I tell you, it's one of the best places to have your grub. Amazing continental stuff and reasonable pricing ( Dishes Ranging in Rs.180 to Rs.225 price range).

We ordered Grilled Fish with Butter Garlic, Some fancy named chicken, ofcourse a few other snacks for our veggie friend and enjoyed the beach front until 11pm till it was time to hit the club again.

We headed back to Kamaki in the Mambo/Tito lane and spent the night dancing away and at 5:00AM had some amazing Prawns fried rice from a small outlet opposite to Tito's and walked back to the hotel and crashed.

P.S: Since we landed in Goa on a Thursday evening until now ( Friday evening) the rains continue relentlessly and best times were only when it drizzled, else it poured most of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Goa Vacation Amidst Tri-State Floods-dsc_9348.jpg  

Goa Vacation Amidst Tri-State Floods-dsc_9349.jpg  

Goa Vacation Amidst Tri-State Floods-dsc_9350.jpg  

Goa Vacation Amidst Tri-State Floods-dsc_9360.jpg  

Goa Vacation Amidst Tri-State Floods-dsc_9365.jpg  

Goa Vacation Amidst Tri-State Floods-dsc_9359.jpg  

Goa Vacation Amidst Tri-State Floods-dsc_9361.jpg  

Goa Vacation Amidst Tri-State Floods-dsc_9364.jpg  

Goa Vacation Amidst Tri-State Floods-dsc_9342.jpg  

Old 14th October 2009, 09:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was on a Saturday afternoon ( Oct 3rd) and they did create an uproar at Baga from 2pm in afternoon until late in the evening and not to mention because of them a couple of shacks and Brittos did some brisk business.
Quote:
Quote:
Wait till you hear what happened on Saturday afternoon. I am right now on a friday evening dinnner part
@avi,
now Friday dinner part is over.
Eagerly looking forward.
Old 14th October 2009, 11:03   #55
BANNED

Quote:
After sometime we stepped out and if you have been to Colva Beach, there's a drainage type of water flowing under the ramp just before you approach the beach.
That was not meant to be a drain. It was meant to "drain" out water that inundated some areas off Colva Beach during high tide. It has now got converted into a drain over time after the near by hotels and other buildings came up.

Quote:
I dropped that small plastic packet into that
This "drain" doesn't lead to any water purification/cleansing plant but leads all the waste directly into the sea. Like explained above.

Quote:
and heard someone clapping and turned around to see 2 couples on motorcyles and one of the guy was sarcastically clapping his hand mentioning " Great Job, My friend" obviously he meant i was spoiling the environment.
Ok I am on the side of the guy who clapped. Not that I agree that was the best way to put the message forward. But remember this is home for us. I stay very close to Miramar beach and even after having like a hundred garbage bins, visitors still throw garbage, broken beer bottles and plastic all over the beach and into the water sometime.

Garbage should go in garbage bins. Period. Do you know that plastic can get stuck, will not decay and create a block in the smooth flow of water.

No municipality dumps garbage into flowing water.

Please remember this in the future. NO PLASTIC BAGS SHOULD BE DUMPED EVEN IN DRAINAGES.

Quote:
I politely told him sorry about that and gestured no other place place i can think of throwing this packet due to the continous rains.
Please keep the garbage with you and put it in a garbage bin.

Quote:
He seemed to want to pick up a fight, Then he used an abusive word and that was that.
Its not worth going to their level to fight it out. One should just let it go. When on holiday and in a new place one should not try and teach a lesson to such people not worth it.

Quote:
I am sure later on he must have regretted for picking up a intentional fight with a bunch of strangers ( that too 4 of them)
Thank your stars you were in Goa. People here are comparatively milder and won't gang up to thrash the other person without reason.

Try doing this in a place like Bangalore, Hyderabad or Chennai, if you are not a local and to top it driving a non local registered vehicle, the 4 of you couldn't have been so brave. You could have been relieved of your money, your car and probably end up in a police station and messed up your holiday. Please no false bravado here.

Quote:
i was bound by that particular weather related cirumstance
Please this is no excuse. You could have dropped it in your hotel rooms garbage bin and let it stay in the car till then, if you couldn't find a bin. Throwing plastic in flowing water is well.. not right.

Quote:
Was he right
He was to an extent. Maybe he needed to put it properly. He was wrong in the way he put it.

Quote:
or I was right in thrashing him?
You were wrong.

Quote:
2. How many of us take this issue seriously?
To give you an example. I drive frequently between Blore-Goa. I have a kid who has his nappies to be changed periodically. I don't dump them in flowing water along the way but carry them in the car until the closest hotel with a bin or if its the end of the journey all the way to home in Goa.

Quote:
Finally, i thought the issue was trivial
For you as an individual maybe. But put yourself in the other person's shoes who notices this happening everyday and you start reacting the way he reacted.

I enjoy reading every travelogue to Goa and I like to see my state through the eyes of our guests. I am thoroughly enjoying your travelogue too.

I am sorry if you think any of the above is offensive to you. It is not and I apologise in advance if you do feel so.

Last edited by Spitfire : 14th October 2009 at 11:07.
Old 14th October 2009, 13:14   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

@Spitfire, thanks for your detailed insight. I can imagine your feelings being from Goa.

Firstly, that guy was a tourist and not a goa resident which was evident from their outfit. However, that's not relevant here.

I disagree goanese locals are mild, infact i found them very agressive and this opinion is not from one visit. I have been visiting goa since 1991 and i know it better than my own city. They exhibit their milder version only for foreigners and treat indians disrespectfully, you may have a different opinion but that's a fact. I will outline what i witnessed at Baga beach in my continuation to re-affirm this point.

I agree and follow the fact that all garbage should go in garbage bins. However, one odd times we tend to step out of line and it happens with EVERYBODY. I didnt notice any garbage bins at Colva, there could one odd here but not distinctly visible and that is hugely insufficient for the number of tourist your state attracts. You can term it as poor tourism/municipality management or whatever.

IMO that guy was completely wrong in his attitude and he got what he deserved. As mentioned before, had he been polite things would have been different. I dont regret for doing what i did. Morever, I will repeat what I did if people don't show courtesy.

Finally, your opinion may differ from mine as its not necessary everyone's should match. For me it was a trivial matter and such incidents cannot discourage me to visit your beautiful state again.

Thanks again for pointing out your views and no offense taken.
Old 14th October 2009, 14:04   #57
BANNED

Quote:
They exhibit their milder version only for foreigners and treat indians disrespectfully,
They are not Goans man. They may have been born and bought up in Goa and may have goan surnames but they aren't goans. They are the slave mentality people, the remnants of the Portuguese rule and then the greed for money. Nothing else. Believe me we have a big issue with these people who treat other Indians below par. Its a big issue in Goa if such incidents get reported.

If you or any of your friends/relatives or anybody reading this has faced or is facing this. Please send me a pm with the details of the restaurant or hotel. Trust me some real follow up happens on these cases.

Also there is a mindset with tourists coming to Goa that everything goes. That is not the case.

Please also understand that the behaviour shown by some tourists towards some foreigners/indian is also desicable. I don't have to elaborate on that. There have been upteem incidents where tourists have crossed the line.

This has created a mindset among goans that the domestic tourists will affect their businesses due to their constant ogling and lewd approaches to others around.

Also foreign tourists are not given the lee way, what with paedophile being a big problem there.

Goa is a tourist spot, it does not mean we don't have morals.

Quote:
I will outline what i witnessed at Baga beach in my continuation to re-affirm this point.
Waiting for it.

Quote:
You can term it as poor tourism/municipality management or whatever.
Agree. Its lacking. But yeah self discipline is also required instead of waiting for someone else to give reason to complaint.

Quote:
Morever, I will repeat what I did if people don't show courtesy.
Using physical force is not always the right thing to do. Sometime, you might not be the strongest. Why take a chance?

Quote:
to visit your beautiful state again.
Atiti Devo Bhava. To be frank, the state has no other mode of sustainable income other then tourism.

Quote:
Thanks for understanding. I mostly get the stick for such posts.

Last edited by Spitfire : 14th October 2009 at 14:06.
Old 14th October 2009, 14:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I am sorry if you think any of the above is offensive to you. It is not and I apologise in advance if you do feel so.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Thanks for understanding. I mostly get the stick for such posts.

Now, i hope, its time to move toward uproar on baga beach.
Old 14th October 2009, 14:26   #59
BHPian

Baga off late seems to have turned into a haven for panga's
Old 14th October 2009, 14:46   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Now, i hope, its time to move toward uproar on baga beach.
Yes Please... Even I am eagerly waiting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks