Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2009, 17:41   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Nice photos, CL. Those pink flowers seem to transform the place altogether. I've never noticed them in Kodai before, I guess they are seasonal.
Yes, they are indeed seasonal. I think they bloom after the rains.
Old 16th October 2009, 18:06   #92
Senior - BHPian

By 4 pm, we trudged back to the city. We were very weary after walking a total of for over six kilometers. But we did not sweat because of the cool weather. We had lunch from Hotel Hill Top. They had tasty Chettinad Biriyani. We enjoyed the food immensely. We also bought some home made chocolates and cookies from their bakery.

Later in the evening, we went back to the city and spent the rest of the evening walking around the town downhill. We also bought some fruits. There were lots of shops selling everything from flowers to mobiles. Kodai was slowly becoming commercialized!

By 8 pm, we went to a Tibetan restaurant (first floor) near the lake. We had tasty momos and noodles. The food was really good. We were reminded of the Momos we had in Darjeeling. That special flavor was present in Kodai’s momos too. There are a total of three Tibetan restaurants there. The first one and the last one (first floor) is good. The middle one is not up to the mark and is best to avoid it.

After our dinner, we retired back to our room and slept peacefully.
Old 16th October 2009, 18:14   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Avoid the Tibetan restaurant unless you have tried it before and liked it. The food is full of vinegar and is horrible (In my opinion).
Glad to see you enjoying yourself!
Thanks jyobeb, There are a total of three Tibetan restaurants there. The first one and the last one (first floor) is good. The middle one is not up to the mark and is best to avoid it.

We did not have any problems after having food from all three restaurants.
Old 17th October 2009, 09:17   #94
Senior - BHPian

Yup! Sorry about not identifying the restaurant correctly. The middle one was the one I was talking about. They turned me off Tibetan food for ever!
Old 17th October 2009, 09:35   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Yup! Sorry about not identifying the restaurant correctly. The middle one was the one I was talking about. They turned me off Tibetan food for ever!
Hi Jyobeb, even though those restaurants are Tibetan, they serve 99% chinese dishes. They serve very little or no authentic Tibetan dishes.

Tibetans mainly eat rice and chicken. Something like Ema Datchi of the Bhutanese. It is plain rice and spicy chicken curry with red chillies.

So please try the first restaurant again. Their momos are very good. And please don't be put off Tibetan food forever, because you may have not eaten any authentic dishes there! Try once more!
Old 17th October 2009, 11:43   #96
BHPian

Mmmmm,, you guys talking of food is making my mouth watery!.Hey Chevylover, go on with the travelogue,it is coming out beautiful!
Old 17th October 2009, 14:52   #97
Senior - BHPian

Kodaikanal....... So Beautiful.......

Day 6 – Kodaikanal

We woke up by 9 am on the 13th of September. We had breakfast from Hotel Bala’s restaurant itself. Their south Indian dishes were very tasty.

We walked to Coaker’s Walk soon after. The route to Coaker’s walk was straight uphill from our hotel. We reached Coaker’s walk after a ten minute stroll. We took tickets and went inside. The whole area was covered in thick fog. My wifey really enjoyed the panoramic view of Kodai from the path. We got a sudden craving for ice cream and had delicious chocolate ice cream. The stroll on Coaker’s walk was very relaxing.
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-coakers-walk-covered-mist.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-coakers-walk_path.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-mist-covered-coakers-walk.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-telescope-centre-2.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-telescope-house.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-view-coakers-walk.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-view-coakers-walk-.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-view-coakers-walk-b.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-view-coakers-walk-c.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-view-coakers-walk-d.jpg  

Old 17th October 2009, 15:20   #98
Senior - BHPian

More Pics....

More pics of Coaker's Walk .
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-view-coakers-walk-e.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-view-coakers-walk-f.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-view-coakers-walk-g.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-view-coakers-walk-h.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-view-coakers-walk-i.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-b-chevy-couple.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-b-chevy-couple-coakers-walk.jpg  

Old 17th October 2009, 15:34   #99
BHPian

Hello Chevy lover, lovely photos of Kodai, brings back memories of a nine year old trip! Do continue
Old 17th October 2009, 16:06   #100
Senior - BHPian

We spent over two hours in the Coaker’s walk. It drizzled a bit when we were about to come out of the walk. We managed to stay dry by barging inside a vendor’s cloth stall.

I was extremely lucky to snap two squirrels having corn. The vendors in Coaker’s walk regularly fed those poor little creatures. It was a magnificent sight to behold. I stood mesmerized by the spectacle for close to half an hour!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-squirrel.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-squirrel-.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-squirrel-.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-squirrel-feeding-corn.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-c-squirrel-his-friend.jpg  

Old 17th October 2009, 17:20   #101
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Wow. Squirrels photos are terriffic. I'm a wildlife enthusiast myself. Have a look at this one.
Old 17th October 2009, 17:45   #102
Senior - BHPian

Bryant’s park

We then went inside Bryant’s park. Its entrance is opposite to Coaker’s walk. The park was really beautiful. There was greenery all around us. There were lots of beautiful flowers too. It again started drizzling when we were inside. Soon the drizzle turned into a massive downpour. We took refuge inside the park’s office.
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-bryant-park-.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-bryants-park.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-bryants-park-b.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-bryants-park-c.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-bryants-park-d.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-bryants-park-e.jpg  

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-d-flowers-bryants-park.jpg  

Old 17th October 2009, 18:07   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Wow. Squirrels photos are terriffic. I'm a wildlife enthusiast myself. Have a look at this one.
That is a superb video. Is that you with the camera? I am surprised to see the squirrels so friendly with humans!
Old 17th October 2009, 18:28   #104
Senior - BHPian

We then went to the second Tibetan restaurant and had lunch. The food they served was bad. We somehow had enough to fill our stomachs.

We then went back to our hotel. We had not even started our Chevy after we reached Kodai. We simply enjoyed walking!!! We decided to go for a drive in our beloved Chevy. We went down to the lake and drove around the circuit. It was really nice seeing hordes of children cycling.

We had become quite addicted to the ice cream we bought from a guy with a freezer in his jeep. He used to be stationed near the TTDC boat house. We parked our car and had lots of ice creams. It was simply wonderful having ice creams in the cold weather of Kodai.

We went back to our hotel and parked our Chevy. We were not feeling sleepy, so we decided to go for a walk in the town. It began raining again and wifey was horrified to feel her socks wet. I was not convinced. So I made her remove her shoe in the shade of a store and was sad to see that her shoe had a crack in the sole.

So we went to the Bata shoe store and bought her a new Lotto shoe. She was very pleased. The manager and salesman in the shoe store were from North Kerala and we spent the next two hours chatting. It seems most of the film stars including Kamal Hassan has visited that store. Kamal never got out of his car and made his driver do the purchasing! They also told me that Keralite film stars also used to frequent that store.

We had so much fun chatting with those guys. They even offered us some Biriyani, which their landlord lady had made for them. Within no time, the time was 11pm.

We had completely forgotten about our dinner. Most of the restaurants had closed down by then. We bought Dosa and Chicken curry from a hotel near to our hotel and had it in our room. We retired for the night by 1am. We were so happy with our experiences on Day 6.
Old 17th October 2009, 21:13   #105
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
That is a superb video. Is that you with the camera? I am surprised to see the squirrels so friendly with humans!
Yes. That's me with the camera with the squirrels. They were very paranoid first. It took me 20 mins to gain their confidence. Then they came and touched me

Most Viewed