Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 13:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

A gripping travelogue and some exciting pictures of Mr. & Mrs. Stripes.

When shall we learn after all some basics of visitng a jungle? The guide should be debarred.

Quote:
We were all pretty upset with the Indica guy for scaring away the Tigress, we all gave a piece of our mind to the driver of the Indica and the guide accompanying the group.
This reminds of my visit to the Rajaji National Park, Haridwar, many many years ago. We were tracking a Tusker and right in the middle of no-where heard some film music blaring. I was a bit shocked. Turning a corner spotted a car on the roof of which a 2-in-1 was kept and the music was on. The occupants had beer bottles in hand and were dancing outside. They could have been attacked by any scared wild animal and then the forest admin would've been blamed. Our guide reported to the Director on his RT and also asked them to get in the car and stop the music. But they didn't listen. Infants should not be allowed in the jungle IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@tan2s@int View Post

We waited patiently for about an hour for the tiger to show up. Seeing us waiting and expecting some action other vehicles also slowly started queuing up close to the watering hole. Soon there were around 20 vehicles parked on both sides of the watering hole.There was almost a traffic jam on a narrow path with lots of vehicles, full of bawling infants and their equally loud parents, trying to take vantage positions to see the tiger. It was such a chaotic scene and that too in the middle of a forest! We soon realized that with this kind of commotion the tiger would never dare venture out to have a dip.
+ 1 to this

Quote:
Near one of the watering holes we saw broken beer bottles, waste paper litter and rubbish strewn on the forest floor. It’s sad that people have no respect for the environment and wildlife.
Old 28th October 2009, 17:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
This reminds of my visit to the Rajaji National Park, Haridwar, many many years ago. We were tracking a Tusker and right in the middle of no-where heard some film music blaring. I was a bit shocked. Turning a corner spotted a car on the roof of which a 2-in-1 was kept and the music was on. The occupants had beer bottles in hand and were dancing outside. They could have been attacked by any scared wild animal and then the forest admin would've been blamed. Our guide reported to the Director on his RT and also asked them to get in the car and stop the music. But they didn't listen. Infants should not be allowed in the jungle IMO.

Beer bottles, loud music and dancing ?? Wonder how these guys got out alive of the national park !

The Authorities should have stringent rules to avoid such incidents. Each vehicle entering the reserve should be thoroughly checked and only than should be allowed to enter the reserve.
Old 28th October 2009, 17:47   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
A gripping travelogue and some exciting pictures of Mr. & Mrs. Stripes.
@GD1418, thats what I call An Eye for Detail
Old 28th November 2009, 02:47   #34
BHPian

Man Vs Wild

Bumping an old travelogue with some new updates from Tadoba..

Here is a pic showing how vulnerablethe tigers are to poaching in our protected Tiger reserves. Wonder How people have free access to go around on foot in a tiger reserve.

No doubt the tiger population is dwindling day by day.

Pic courtesy. Shalik jogwe .TATR Group in Facebook.
Attached Images

Old 28th November 2009, 08:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Satan,
You are spot on right about the state the forests, parks and reserves are heading towards.
But there is no reversal of this trend most wildlife experts feel, it could only get worse.
I loved the photograph though, it would make a great great promotional photograph on the cover of a India tourism magazine or the National Geographic.
Regards,
Old 28th November 2009, 09:46   #36
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wonder How people have free access to go around on foot in a tiger reserve.
Wondering why he missed a free lunch !!
Old 28th November 2009, 13:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Wondering why he missed a free lunch !!
Three free lunches actually.
Old 7th June 2010, 19:58   #38
BHPian

Tadoba Trip- May 2010

Tadoba Trip 2010

Just back from a trip to Tadoba last week. Things have changed very much since our last trip to Tadoba In May 2009. This visit, we noticed that the entry to various zones inside the forest have been restricted, also the entry for the number of vehicles per trip inside the reserve has been restricted to 25 at a time.

With this new rule, it meant that we had to be in the queue at least 3-4 hours before the safari timings to ensure entry inside. Getting a ticket to entry is next to impossible as the private safari operators and the touts book all the 25 tickets.

We managed to strike a deal with one of the touts who arranged the tickets for us at a price of rs 1300 per visit.

As per the information gathered, a tigress recently gave birth to 4 cubs. With Tadoba gaining popularity with tourists and with equal number of vehicles moving around causing disturbance to the new born tiger cubs and the tigress, the authorities decided to restrict the entry to many zones within the reserve.

This I see as a welcome move by the forest dept as it is in the best interest to protect and safeguard the ever dwindling tiger numbers in our forests..

Special thanks to Dr Ghosh for his help and guidance which made this trip possible..
Attached Thumbnails
A visit to the Sher khan’s den- Tadoba Andhari tiger reserve.-03840008.jpg  

A visit to the Sher khan’s den- Tadoba Andhari tiger reserve.-03840027.jpg  

A visit to the Sher khan’s den- Tadoba Andhari tiger reserve.-03870014.jpg  

A visit to the Sher khan’s den- Tadoba Andhari tiger reserve.-03840024.jpg  

Old 7th June 2010, 20:23   #39
BHPian

The aggresive Male

Clicked this pic at the second waterhole.. This guy was very annoyed with the attention he was getting.. heard from one of the guides that he chased a gypsy in the morning safari ..
Attached Thumbnails
A visit to the Sher khan’s den- Tadoba Andhari tiger reserve.-sss.gif  

Old 8th June 2010, 09:37   #40
BHPian

Quote:
before some ignorant fool in an indica tried to pull up his car too close to the tigress comfort
Happens all the time, people have no respect for wildlife. Such fellows need to head to a zoo and thrown in as 'upma' to the striped one!
Excellent log so far, hooked on to it!
Old 8th June 2010, 10:57   #41
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This guy was very annoyed with the attention he was getting.. heard from one of the guides that he chased a gypsy in the morning safari ..
I think we are waiting for a major tragedy to occur. The Forest Ministry won't wake up until some tourists are mauled to death.

Number of people and vehicles being allowed into the parks must be restricted and spaced so at any point in time there are no more than two vehicles max. Also the time for viewing must be limited to 2hrs in the morning and 2 in the evening.

Its not a zoo !!
Old 8th June 2010, 11:59   #42
BHPian

great pictures and sightings, made my day thanks for posting.
Old 8th June 2010, 12:14   #43
BHPian

Quote:
the entry to various zones inside the forest have been restricted, also the entry for the number of vehicles per trip inside the reserve has been restricted to 25 at a time.

This I see as a welcome move by the forest dept as it is in the best interest to protect and safeguard the ever dwindling tiger numbers in our forests..
I am really glad that the forest department there is trying to regulate things properly. Hope they take more initiatives for the same.

And nice pictures. Its always special to view the Tiger.
Old 8th June 2010, 19:31   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srimath View Post
I am really glad that the forest department there is trying to regulate things properly. Hope they take more initiatives for the same.

And nice pictures. Its always special to view the Tiger.
And i just hope to show the tiger in the wild to my grand kids!
Old 8th June 2010, 21:39   #45
BHPian

Man Vs Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
And i just hope to show the tiger in the wild to my grand kids!
I really hope that the govt and the forest dept does whatever possible to conserve the tiger population..

I have a video that I captured of a 4 month old cub that came face to face with a villager riding on a two wheeler inside the Tiger reserve..

such kind of close encounters make me really think how serious is the govt in putting an end to the man/ animal conflict and help conserve our tiger population.

Not sure how I can directly post the video here.. but here is the link to the video on facebook..

Sabarish Harinath | Facebook

Most Viewed