Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Reviving since I have no idea to put.

Have been planning for a visit since a week. Did not materialise yet due to problems reported in that area.

How is the situation now? I have tomorrow and day after tomorrow to spare and would like to visit.

Is there any alternative route which avoids the trouble areas?
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

At the moment everything is calm and highways not affected at all.(the trouble area is always the interior part of the city. When they say Thaliparamba or Kannur it is not on the highway but some internal places where the problem/trouble errupts). Unless there is a hartal, the highway is always open and traffic moves as usual.

From Kannur, you need to come on the highway and the parassini turning will be on the highway itself.
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Is there any alternative route
Apart from the regular route mentioned earlier in the thread, there is another one which I took. This one approaches Parassinikadavu from the east side, crosses the Valapattinam river via Parassinikadavu bridge. View of the temple from the bridge is good.

Route : Kannur town-NH17 towards Kasargod-right at Puthiyatheru-Kattampally-Mayyil-Parassinikadavu

This route goes through interior villages. Kattampally has a small dam.
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

Yes, you are correct - you come from the other side of Parassini through the dam bridge. However you are entering into the puthiyatheru (internal part and driving through all the village area where the chances for group trouble -something which is going on). Whereas if you drive through the nh17 the route is straight - the parassini turning towards right begins from the nh 17 and one need not to ask for any guidence.?
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely agreed.

I mentioned the alternative in case people are interested and if it is during safer times. When I had driven some time back (see here), there was no unrest and those were peaceful times.

But alas, it is Kannur. You never know when things change. After all, it is the lab for most political parties.
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:41   #21
BHPian

Excellent info nairrk - Whenever I am planning to visit Kannur I will follow this thread to plan my visits accordingly. Thanks for the detailed info.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Absolutely agreed.

I mentioned the alternative in case people are interested and if it is during safer times. When I had driven some time back (see here), there was no unrest and those were peaceful times.

But alas, it is Kannur. You never know when things change. After all, it is the lab for most political parties.
+

Yes, at the present situation, it is always advisable to keep main route ( NH ) instead of taking internal roads which are more sensitive to the communal(political) disturbances.
?

Last edited by nairrk : 2nd June 2010 at 15:16. Reason: correction
Old 2nd June 2010, 19:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Thanks nairrk and sbraj.

I am leaving Alleppey at 5.00am tomorrow for the proposed trip. Since I am not a frequent traveler on NH17, I am not sure about the timings etc.

I hope I can do it in 12 hrs.

I hope to stay at the Thai resorts, near the temple. Apparently they have rooms available.

Thanks once again. I hope they don't try any stunts for a couple of days.
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks nairrk and sbraj.

I am leaving Alleppey at 5.00am tomorrow for the proposed trip. Since I am not a frequent traveler on NH17, I am not sure about the timings etc.

I hope to stay at the Thai resorts, near the temple. Apparently they have rooms available.

Thanks once again. I hope they don't try any stunts for a couple of days.
Hope you might be already on the road/driving ?

Have a nice drive and pleasant stay in Parassini.
(dont worry there are more hotels available there and since you are coming on a weekday there wont be much rush - Saturday evening to Sunday there will be heavy rush in/around the temple).

All the best.
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Wishing a safe and happy journey, Rajesh Sir.

Please update us on the road & traffic condition, especially from Ernakulam to Kannur.
Old 5th June 2010, 20:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Sorry could not log in from Parassinikadavu. The BSNL EVDO card would not work there as no EVDO enabled tower nearby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Hope you might be already on the road/driving ?

Have a nice drive and pleasant stay in Parassini.
(dont worry there are more hotels available there and since you are coming on a weekday there wont be much rush - Saturday evening to Sunday there will be heavy rush in/around the temple).

All the best.
Thanks. I did and have come back. First time, never knew about other hotels. Thai Resort was fine except that the service is a little indifferent.

We found the rush huge even on a working day. So a weekend would be jam packed, I guess.

Don't you people on that side enjoy traditional south Indian snacks like, Idli, Dosa and Poori Bhaji? Had a tough time with other options. Even plain ordinary meals were not found, maybe we looked in the wrong places!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Wishing a safe and happy journey, Rajesh Sir.

Please update us on the road & traffic condition, especially from Ernakulam to Kannur.
Thanks.

I took the Ernakulam, Thrissur, Kunnamkulam route while going to the temple and the NH17 all the way while coming back.

The roads were good on both the routes. I would any day prefer the former as the drive is a lot easier compared to the latter.

NH17 is surely more scenic than NH47, though!

Last edited by trrk : 5th June 2010 at 20:26.
Old 6th June 2010, 10:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nice to hear that you had a trouble free travel and temple visit.

Idli, normally available, but will be over quickly. Thereafter you will find Idiyappam,
Appam and some hotel you will find Parotta. But very difficult to get Dosa or phuri bhaji. ( I have seen hotels in Thalssery serve appam with fish curry in the morning
and have seen many locals prefer this fish curry for breakfast!).

In parassini, free meals (Annadhanam) are served in the noon ?
Old 6th June 2010, 15:27   #28
BHPian

Rajesh Sir,

Happy to see that you had a good trip.

Quote:
We found the rush huge even on a working day. So a weekend would be jam packed, I guess.
Rush will be more in Saturday's and other day's in the morning time. Usually afternoon is calm and quiet (~2-3 years back..!!)

Quote:
Don't you people on that side enjoy traditional south Indian snacks like, Idli, Dosa and Poori Bhaji? Had a tough time with other options. Even plain ordinary meals were not found, maybe we looked in the wrong places!
Most of the highway side hotels will have "Porotta" or Appam (may not be fresh) only. If specific to Dosa, Idli and all, we should try inside the towns (Kannur).

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 8th June 2010, 20:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
and have seen many locals prefer this fish curry for breakfast!).

In parassini, free meals (Annadhanam) are served in the noon ?
We do love non vegetarian, but somehow are used to the idli, dosa, puri options for breakfast. Appam is fine too, but what we had was already made and kept. But still, to be fair, it was decent.

Yes, the free 'Annadhanam' is there both for lunch and dinner. For the dinner, at least, there was a huge queue and traditionally, it is split for ladies and gents and so we did not join them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Happy to see that you had a good trip.
Thanks.

Quote:
Rush will be more in Saturday's and other day's in the morning time. Usually afternoon is calm and quiet (~2-3 years back..!!)
But the theyyams are in the mornings and evenings.

Quote:
Most of the highway side hotels will have "Porotta" or Appam (may not be fresh) only. If specific to Dosa, Idli and all, we should try inside the towns (Kannur).
Yes, we found it out the hard way. Did not want to venture deep inside the town to check for hotels since we did have a long drive back to Alleppey.

Forced my wife to have breakfast in a small tea shop opposite the temple. She is a little picky about where she goes!
Old 9th June 2010, 14:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Normally hotels around the temple do not prepare more items because people staying there overnight will be less than the daily vistors who normally comes after breakfast time. Also in the noon and night there you have the annadhanam from the temple. So hotel business in the temple visinity is not that attractive? (also tea and boiled cherupayar is available from the morning as prasad from the temple).

So where one will have chance to go the hotel ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks