Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2009, 15:40   #1
BHPian

Adventure into the wilderness - K-Gudi

It was months since the last vacation. And the trip to k-gudi (jungle lodges) was the perfect way to recharge the zombied self

The plan was to leave at 6am. And as clock ticked away to 7:00 we started from Bangalore. I planned to take the Mysore-Chamarajnagar, route instead of the Kanakpura Malavalli route. I shall elaborate on this mistake later!

Had good Breakfast at Mysore Siddartha hotel and off to Nanjangud. Traffic on this road is slightly chaotic. People drive extremely fast for some reason. Intermittent potholes along the way reminded me that I had not filled in air for the spare tyre. The sweaty exercise lasted for over 20 minutes. Incase you people are wondering, getting the spare wheel out and back into the adventure is slightly time consuming. Decided to fill in petrol. At 13 litres tank is full! Hurray!! fuel efficiency is around 13.5!

Reached Chamarajnagar at around 11:45.
Some sights along the way

Adventure into the wilderness - K-Gudi-imgp1177.jpg

Name:  IMGP1180.jpg
Views: 3383
Size:  136.2 KB
The perfect countryside. A drying lake, some grazing buffaloes and a hilly backdrop.

Road to K-gudi is quite bad from Chamrajnagar. Reached K-Gudi at around 1:15pm. After a very heavy lunch, we relaxed for sometime and headed to the safari.

Adventure into the wilderness - K-Gudi-imgp1246.jpg
Never had a chance to take such a clear pic of a Barking deer!

Adventure into the wilderness - K-Gudi-imgp1375.jpg

Wildlife sighting is lesser in Kgudi compared to Nagarhole. But the dense green forest and winding trails along the hill slopes are good enough reasons to head to K-gudi. Lots of birds can be sighted too.

Adventure into the wilderness - K-Gudi-imgp1366.jpg

Adventure into the wilderness - K-Gudi-imgp1376.jpg

Adventure into the wilderness - K-Gudi-imgp1390.jpg

All three of them looking in the same direction. I realized this after uploading

Coming up.. Activities around K-gudi, more photos, the stay and the journey back including a visit to Shivanasamudram.
Old 21st October 2009, 15:51   #2
BHPian

Good pics.

By K-gudi do you mean Kemmangudi? Near Chikmagalur?
Old 21st October 2009, 15:55   #3
BHPian

Thanks!

K-gudi is short form of Kyatadevarayana gudi.
Its about 20Km from BR Hills. (famous during Veerappan days!)
Kemmangundi is closer to Hassan.

Last edited by kvish : 21st October 2009 at 15:56.
Old 21st October 2009, 16:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure you had a wonderful time there. The pictures are just lovely. The barking deer pic is very nice, also the 3 pics with birds looking in the same direction. I never noticed it until I read your comment on it.

Did you happen to drive to the Biligiri Rangaswamy Temple from K Gudi? The drive through the dense forest is just exhilarating.

It reminds me of an incident there a few years back. We suffered a flat on this road and the wheel was jammed (it wouldn't come out). It was getting dark (at 5 pm) and we had wait for long until a forest dept jeep came down and helped us.

EDIT: Actually, Kemmangundi is closer to Chikmagalur, around 45 kms or so.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 21st October 2009 at 16:23.
Old 21st October 2009, 16:58   #5
BHPian

The drive to the temple is amazing. Road is amazing!.
The driver says the increased traffic and buses plying on these roads have contributed to the lack of sighting of any animal in this route.

A flat tyre on that road in the evening is definitely one hell of an experience
Old 21st October 2009, 17:04   #6
BHPian

Kvish, that is a real nice teaser there, looking out for more pictures and narration to accompany them!
Old 21st October 2009, 22:39   #7
Team-BHP Support

Some time back the bridge on the river Kabini was broke at Najangud. How is it now? Should have been fixed. How is the water level?
Old 9th November 2009, 10:15   #8
BHPian

I am planning a drive to K Gudi this weekend

Is the road from ChamarajaNagar doable on a Honda City (IDsi)? Any other precautions? I am worried about the recent rains

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks