Team-BHP - Desert Rider Linea's 2000 kms & 6 days: Baroda-Barmer-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Baroda
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Desert Rider Linea's 2000 kms & 6 days: Baroda-Barmer-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Baroda (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/68116-desert-rider-lineas-2000-kms-6-days-baroda-barmer-jaisalmer-jodhpur-baroda.html)

Introduction :
Trip begins: Sun 18 Oct'09 - 1030 hrs
Trip ends: Fri 23 Oct'09 - 1955 hrs
Car: Fiat LINEA - Petrol (2K km & 3 months old at the beginning of trip).
The desert riders - Family of five (Me, wife & two below 11 yr kids - and the LINEA)

Am in the process of completing the trip log in one document and will post that first. It will be a combined log and a travelogue.

Next I will be gradually posting the event-wise pics after downsizing as and when I find time.

This was a much anticipated trip and the most thrilling one till date for us. The highpoint was driving through the lonely desert roads that only BSF use. Hope the readers will find it interesting. To begin - here is the family pic at the Munabao Raliway station - Indo / Pak border.

Cheers, Sam

Trip Summary:
18 Oct - Baroda to Barmer via Viramgam, Tharad
19 Oct - Barmer to Jaisalmer via Munabao, Sundra, Miajla
20 Oct - Jaisalmer to Sam Sand Dunes
21 Oct - Jaisalmer to Jodhpur
22 Oct - Jodhpur
23 Oct - Jodhpur to Baroda via Pali, Palanpur, Mehsana

Great trip, looks you must have enjoyed it thoroughly, I have been once from Nagaur, Jodhpur, Barmer and Jaiselmer and return trip but long time back by Amby taxi. Its very pretty site driving in deserts.

Nice to see an active member from Baroda clap:
The Linea is not available from Miles motors, did you purchase from Ahmedabad ?

That's a great trip.Pls post more snaps if you have any.
Seems to be the left mirror has a scar on it.Was it a gift given by on coming bikers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by adityamunshi (Post 1549604)
Nice to see an active member from Baroda clap:
The Linea is not available from Miles motors, did you purchase from Ahmedabad ?

Yes, from Universal Aspi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramsagar (Post 1549629)
That's a great trip.Pls post more snaps if you have any.
Seems to be the left mirror has a scar on it.Was it a gift given by on coming bikers?

No scars yet !! That is is TBHP sticker...:D On both sides of the mirror - also helps avoid scratches from such bikers..

Snaps will follow this week..

Just in time. Waiting for your take on the Sam sand dunes experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves (Post 1549695)
Just in time. Waiting for your take on the Sam sand dunes experience.

Hi,

It is in the trip log attachment (pdf) - Check logs of 21 Oct.

Cheers, Sam

Nice interesting information you have, looking out for more details on the travelogue when it is going to come.

Hi Majic & other readers,

My travelogue & the log is in a single document (pdf attacment). Am attaching once again after renaming it in case anyone missed.

What will follow later in the week are journey pics with comments.

Cheers, Sam

Good info. and quite in detail. clap:Appreciate. Just got a Linea 20 days old and did 1200kms only. How was the performance on such long drives. I heard in one of the post that the Linea gave an avg of 30 but mine seem to give me around 14. How was the fuel effiency. Was it comfortable for the kids in the rear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khurshedc (Post 1550072)
Good info. and quite in detail. clap:Appreciate. Just got a Linea 20 days old and did 1200kms only. How was the performance on such long drives. I heard in one of the post that the Linea gave an avg of 30 but mine seem to give me around 14. How was the fuel effiency. Was it comfortable for the kids in the rear.

Dear Khursedc.

Thank you for going thru the log.

I have a Petrol Linea (FIRE) and therefore cannot boast of high averages. The overall average on the highway was 14.5 kmpl per the trip meter. Tankful to tankful calculations gave me about 13.8 kmpl. AC always on (set to 22 deg, ACC) and with the boot full of luggage & shopping.:D I guess you have the diesel Multijet version.

Average speed was 65kmph. The RPM was at 2.5k level most of the time.

It was comfortable in the rear for the kids and also for us in the front. The driver seat is cushy for such long drives - no exhaustion / back-ache at all. Kids did help massage my feet at times in the evenings though, when I lied down in hotel room,,,:D. Probbaly feeling sorry for their driver papa.

cheers, Sam

Last June we were in the Garhwal hills for about 10 days - nestled in the cool environs of the Himalayan foothills. As that trip was coming to an end we were trying to decide where to go next. Since a new car was also on the agenda, it was almost decided that the Diwali vacation had to be a drive.

But where? West of Madhya Pradesh, South Guj or Rajasthan?

As late as end Aug we were almost undecided - the hot weather was persistent and we were fearing if it would be too warm to visit Rajasthan. The deserts were the first choice and we thought we must try to make the most of it. TBHP travelogues & some friends informed the roads were excellent in Rajasthan. So Rajasthan it was.:thumbs up

But where again? Becasue it was to be a 5-6 day trip and that we had to be Baroda for Diwali - it was best decided to limit to only two places - Jodhpur & Jaisalmer. I wanted to get the best of driving & remote sights; wife wanted to experience the majestic Rajasthan & of course shopping.

We did not want to repeat the route to break the monotony so decided to go via Barmer to Jaisalmer then Jodhpur & back via Palanpur.

Next were the RTDC rounds to find the place of stay. We prefer the state tourism joints in Raj, MP and Uttaranchal as they are generally okay and our experience of 2002 in Ranthambore & Jaipur were good. Got details of the places from RTDC Ahmedabad office and booked the venues on phone - later remitted the DD for the full amount.

Barmer - The RTDC hotel was undergoing renovation so they recommended the Ciruit house. Called them on phone & booked it. Also confirmed the stay on the day before the travel

Jaisalmer - Booked one night ; a Family Room at the Moomal on CP basis. It is an independent home in itself. Costs Rs 1600 a night & is non ac. Has two bedrooms, verandah but a single large bathroom.

Jaisalmer Sam Dhani - Tent booked for one night @ RS 2500 per tent on AP basis. Entertainment / camel rides extra.

Jodhpur - Booked two nights @ the Ghoomar @ 1350 per day - non-ac on CP basis.

This was done in Sep beginning & we were all set for the trip.:)

More to follow later....

Lightinin,

Very good travelogue and I am eagerly waiting to see the posts. The Log attached has very good information which I am sure will help lot of us to refer when we travel to these locations. I am waiting to see the photos of the border and the sand dunes. Hope they have allowed you to take the snaps of the fences etc. For many of us this will be the first view.

thanks for sharing and keep updating the thread fast.