Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2009, 17:18   #1
BHPian

Can't talk right now Ma, busy in a critical meeting - Trip to Rohtang

Its hard to tell your folks what you upto sometimes!
Attached Thumbnails
Can't talk right now Ma, busy in a critical meeting - Trip to Rohtang-large-1.8.jpg  

Old 27th October 2009, 17:28   #2
BHPian

Nice teaser. Now the waiting starts. Give us more.

Souvik
Old 27th October 2009, 17:43   #3
BHPian

Wow, that was a nice teaser, interesting title, so what is this about, A trip to -----? Please continue posting!
Old 27th October 2009, 17:47   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiJack View Post
Its hard to tell your folks what you upto sometimes!
hey SJ..

nice teaser and a very very nice place to have a crucial meeting!
waiting for the meeting to proceed..
Old 27th October 2009, 17:59   #5
BHPian

It had to be...

Dream destination... I still have'nt woken up
Attached Thumbnails
Can't talk right now Ma, busy in a critical meeting - Trip to Rohtang-small-1.jpg  

Old 27th October 2009, 18:08   #6
BHPian

Now I'm a BHpian

Wow!! I dind'nt realize I have been promoted here- Mods, this is means quite a bit to newbies, it will be great if you can send a note to the member announcing his "promotion".

As for the logue- where else could it be but the Himalayas, have been dreaming of Manali/Kullu/ The mountain passes for years now, just didnt know how to get there as I'm not a great fan of taking trains or plains to travel destinations within India. Here is my ride- I call "him" "D"
Attached Thumbnails
Can't talk right now Ma, busy in a critical meeting - Trip to Rohtang-large-1.6.jpg  

Old 27th October 2009, 18:11   #7
BHPian

Ok , now you have my undivided attention after all the threads of Rohtang, i am really looking forward to your also.
Old 27th October 2009, 18:19   #8
BHPian

Does it have to be a travelogue?

Na.. you will find 100s on this forum on how to get there and thats exactly what I did- followed HVKs routes and tsk's logues to understand how to do this- mind you, I have never ventured beyond Goa and this was a biggie for me!

Gimme sometime to cook up the story while you enjoy the ones below.

OK- need help here- I'm not sure how to put in my comments against each pic, anyone?

Rajasthan... no way a dry land!
Attached Thumbnails
Can't talk right now Ma, busy in a critical meeting - Trip to Rohtang-large-1.jpg  

Last edited by SamuraiJack : 27th October 2009 at 18:20.
Old 27th October 2009, 18:37   #9
BHPian

Hi Jack,

You can upload the picture inside the text body, click here

Cheers,
L&S
Old 27th October 2009, 19:07   #10
MX6
Senior - BHPian

hmm. All the way from Bangalore to leh? Is your D the vehicle who's photo I saw in another travelogue covered with slush / dirt / dust/ all around? Must have been one hell of a drive... waiting for more.
Old 27th October 2009, 19:41   #11
BHPian

Thanks for that L&S.

Majic- Doing this at work and trying to make it interesting, just hang in there buddy have lots to talk about!

MX6- nope, this is the first logue I will be writing, though I did post D's pic on show off your alloys thread.

Here is one of my fav pics- Just reached Rohtang and we were above the clouds, the scenery was mind blowing so had to get down, but lo behold my bones started freezing the minute I stepped out and had to run back to the D's warmth whoose heater was running, but still I was shaking for the next 15 mins..lol
Attached Thumbnails
Can't talk right now Ma, busy in a critical meeting - Trip to Rohtang-large-1.0.jpg  

Old 27th October 2009, 20:03   #12
BHPian

Alrite.. here we go

Hmm, lets see- that time of the year when I get incentives, have about 15 days leave balance, I think I will go to China (my girl is working out of China for the last three months you see) but the travel agent says you need to have a certain sum in your account as a bank balance- GTH I dont have that, ok- let's go to Bangkok! no way, not the first stamp I want to have on my passport for good reasons. Hmm maybe I'm just coaxing myself here to go visit the "Nirvana" land, The ultimate trip that I was usually skeptical to plan cause the means to get there never interested me.. you know trains/planes/taxis, no way!.

I had been twice to Goa in the month of Sept and on the drive back my freind happened to say- "need to go for a long drive" , and the other nutcase "Me" says how about Himalaya.. ahh you only talk is the reaction..

Get back to office (the only place I visit the net) and reopen all the travelogues to Leh, HVK is the one that came the closest as he had done this trip from B'lore, looked up google maps and at that point I didnt understand why HVK would divert to Chittourgarh in Rajasthan from Udaipur and then get back to Jaipur when the NH8 went straight to Jaipur... experience dude is what I say to myself rite now.

So- through Nov I look up everything I can, invite all the freinds I can cause not many are up for such rides, hell I'm prepared and I'm talkin stuff like, guys- we need gum boots/shovels/rubber gloves/ropes and the guys are just not getting the picture rather they are interested in going to Kullu/Manalli and they think that is the destination... he he how wrong they were.

The initial date planned was Sept 30, but no way I could wait got my sal on the 29th and I was off by 5:30PM wanting to hit Mumbai.

If the strech btw Chitradurga and Davangere is completed you can do Mumbai in 10 hours flat!, we reached mumbai (Charkop) at 10:30 AM next day!

I dont have pics for this piece of the journey as it was just two of us till then and I did not have a cam.

Picked up another freind from Mumbai and by next day 8 AM we were off towards the unventured by us so far.

Stopping for chai before getting out of Mumbai

This was the first time I was visting the city and I felt good, We had to take the Western express to get to Charkop and I felt that we would be stuck in jams for long, but no.. though I did see lot of traffic on the other side of the road getting into Mumbai was sweet, love the western express, I'm sure this road makes life easy for a lot of Mumbaikars. The sight of all the famous area names made me feel weird in a good way, like was being in a TV or Movie, Dombivalli/Goegaon/Malad and basically all those sign boards, felt good, and ofcourse the fiat taxis with all the drivers driving in the usual one hand holding the door sill style, maybe to get some air in the armpits?? cause its humid and the taxi surely does not have AC

We were out of Mumbai by 10, but here is when we witnessed a mishap. I was driving pretty safe and I could see two guys on a Yam zig zag a little ahead of me- I commented saying check that *** out (my freinds didnt hear this though and neither they noticed) the roads were pretty empty and within the next 300 mts I saw a elderly person sitting on the right hand side visiblyl in pain and bang in the middle of the road the two guys lying still, the rider was I think looking at me/the car, a small crowd gathered by then and I had to move on... the guilt feeling always there as "what do I do now".. but the common thought amongst us was to move on.

I love riding too, but 2 wheelers on this forum ride sensibly.

TBC
Attached Thumbnails
Can't talk right now Ma, busy in a critical meeting - Trip to Rohtang-dscn1241.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd November 2009 at 16:22. Reason: Changes made as per request.
Old 27th October 2009, 20:04   #13
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiJack View Post
but lo behold my bones started freezing the minute I stepped out and had to run back to the D's warmth whoose heater was running, but still I was shaking for the next 15 mins..lol
I've noticed this. I shake too not outside.. but when I run in to a vehicle with heater running. Happened to me in new york.
Old 27th October 2009, 20:28   #14
BHPian

Loving this. I am going to hit F5 every hour to get the next version. I am so hooked. Reading all this, I am thinking to bring forward my Ladakh trip now. Just cannot sit in Bangalore now.

Please please, keep posting.

Souvik
Old 27th October 2009, 20:38   #15
BHPian

jai Ho!

Great Candid narration dude! And the subtle and not so subtle humor is fun.
Keep writting...

Most Viewed