Lake Windermere and around - Day 1- Part 2

William Wordsworth's place:
Road Trip–2700 KMs Europe & 3380 KMS UK + end-to-end.-dsc03160.jpg
Road Trip–2700 KMs Europe & 3380 KMS UK + end-to-end.-dsc03166.jpg
Road Trip–2700 KMs Europe & 3380 KMS UK + end-to-end.-dsc03171.jpg
Road Trip–2700 KMs Europe & 3380 KMS UK + end-to-end.-dsc03175.jpg
Road Trip–2700 KMs Europe & 3380 KMS UK + end-to-end.-dsc03181.jpg
Road Trip–2700 KMs Europe & 3380 KMS UK + end-to-end.-dsc03183.jpg

Picture above.... Wodden seat from where the poet penned his best ones.

My wife very much wanted to visit Wordsworth's house at Rydal Mount near to Rydal Hall an old house, Ghyll Force-70 feet waterfall etc., the car parks were full, so we drove towards Ambelside a little down the road to the Museum and house, Dove Cottage at Grassmere from where he did most of his productive work. Wifey's the typical right-brained-dreaming-poet of our house and loved the place, it was the highlight of our tour for her. Well, what can I say, I'm the typical left-brained, logical machine, tried hard to see the bearuty of poetry on a cold day and gamely followed her like a ba-ba-lamb. There's a 5p ticket for the tour, a 50sh man explained the life and times of Wordsworth and pointed to the place, a stone bench from where the poet penned his wonders. Needless to say, sitting on the same bench was another dream-like experience for my wife. We could also tour the museum, most of his original pages are kept here with memorabilia. It was 3 and still time left for a drive around Lake Windermere.

Lake Windermere is the biggest, 17 kms, deepest 215 feets, freshwater one England, 18 islands in it, many stories of monsters on the lake like the one at Loc Ness, one can drive almost all around, stop and wonder at the penoramic view of the lake form all angles. There are boating clubs, races and sometimes speed boat events. You can take a walk on the popular paths, trekking is a craze here, take a steamer across the lake or sit and feed the ducks at Bowness on Windermere which is the lake pier for the ferry.

Sit near the ferry and see people, relaxing, feeding ducks, young girls learning to cayak, a dog swming in the ice cold water, you could sit there for ever, we almost did. Tried very hard to caputre some of the moments....
Road Trip–2700 KMs Europe & 3380 KMS UK + end-to-end.-dsc03190.jpg
Road Trip–2700 KMs Europe & 3380 KMS UK + end-to-end.-dsc03206.jpg
Road Trip–2700 KMs Europe & 3380 KMS UK + end-to-end.-dsc03224.jpg
Road Trip–2700 KMs Europe & 3380 KMS UK + end-to-end.-dsc03238.jpg
Road Trip–2700 KMs Europe & 3380 KMS UK + end-to-end.-dsc03266.jpg
Road Trip–2700 KMs Europe & 3380 KMS UK + end-to-end.-dsc03274.jpg

We take the A592, 15 kms of lovely ride around the lake to Newby Bridge and to the seaside of Greenood; this was a port at one time, now a quiet place for plople to sit and watch time go by. 25 KM more through Ulverston, we would be at the top of the land at Burrow-In-Furnis, a iron and shipbuilding town, all for tomorrow, 5 PM and time to turn around. We tracked back through Nweby Bridge, Windermere, Rydal and the GPS took us back to Keswick at 0730, we went to the local departmental store, picked up fruits, bread, noodles and some quick soup packets; just hot water and you have the most delicious steaming soups and have dinner watching the telly. End of day........... and what a day!!!

On the way back, there was a break in clouds, God smiled, we could capture Rydal mount area.

Road Trip–2700 KMs Europe & 3380 KMS UK + end-to-end.-dsc03277.jpg

==========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 11th November 2009 at 20:33.
Old 11th November 2009, 20:44   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Ramkya,

Please plan your next trip during the month of August because of Edinburgh Festival. It's a must have attraction if you are visiting Edinburgh. The seats in Edinburgh castle are totally booked a couple of months in advance. Also the rooms in all hotels and serviced apartments are full during this time. The coming edinburgh festival starts from 6th Aug - 30th Aug 2010.
Irish: What scares me is the madness in the peak season, frankly I'd get spooked if things don't go on plans, but I guess it would be worth a try next time. Thanks.

@MX6: We missed it, can you please post photos?
We flashed past Glasgow, told my wife to click a few photos for people who would recognize some landmarks, you did. Actually did not knwo it was the Library, Glasgow was not in our plans.

Wonder why Glencoe is called tragic? It would be great to see the winter photos too, we loved the land and the drive through there.

@Magic: Thank you very much indeed. I am happy you like it....... keep reading, a couple of more instalments and I'd take a long rest.....

======
Old 11th November 2009, 21:14   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
truly amazing.
could not help but to complete the whole stuff after discovering it today.

hats off to you for chronicling it in details; I guess some day I will need it
Hai Arindam,

Thanks Brother. You should try a driving trip to the Lake District, it would be magical for sure.

I've fallen in love with the place and now know how the Lake Poets got inspired to write immortal lines......
Old 11th November 2009, 22:30   #109
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Ok here goes.

The Forth Bridge is a cantilever railway bridge over the Firth of Forth in the east of Scotland, to the east of the Forth Road Bridge, and 14 kilometres (9 mi) west of central Edinburgh. It is often called the Forth Rail Bridge or Forth Railway Bridge to distinguish it from the Forth Road Bridge.
The bridge is, even today, regarded as an engineering marvel. It is 2.5 km (1.5 miles) in length, and the double track is elevated 46 m (approx. 150 ft) above high tide. It was opened on 4th March 1890!

Panorama of the Firth of Forth Rail bridge.
Road Trip–2700 KMs Europe & 3380 KMS UK + end-to-end.-firth-forth-1.jpg

The Forth Road Bridge is a suspension bridge in east central Scotland. The bridge, opened 0n 4th Sept 1964, spans the Firth of Forth; connecting the capital city Edinburgh, at South Queensferry, to Fife, at North Queensferry. The bridge replaced a centuries-old ferry service to carry vehicular traffic, cyclists, and pedestrians across the Forth; rail crossings are made by the adjacent and historic Forth Bridge. That's 2.5 kms long too!

Here's a photo of both the bridges. The view of the rail bridge from the road bridge.
Road Trip–2700 KMs Europe & 3380 KMS UK + end-to-end.-firth-forth-2.jpg

The grand view of the firth road bridge
Road Trip–2700 KMs Europe & 3380 KMS UK + end-to-end.-firth-forth-3.jpg

Her majesty Queen Elizabeth II walked on this bridge I believe on 4th Sept 1964. I walked on this bridge on 6th March 2009. Almost 45 years later.
Old 12th November 2009, 00:10   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Ok here goes.

The Forth Bridge is a cantilever railway bridge over the Firth of Forth in the east of Scotland, to the east of the Forth Road Bridge, and 14 kilometres (9 mi) west of central Edinburgh. It is often called the Forth Rail Bridge or Forth Railway Bridge to distinguish it from the Forth Road Bridge.
The bridge is, even today, regarded as an engineering marvel. It is 2.5 km (1.5 miles) in length, and the double track is elevated 46 m (approx. 150 ft) above high tide. It was opened on 4th March 1890!

Panorama of the Firth of Forth Rail bridge.

The Forth Road Bridge is a suspension bridge in east central Scotland. The bridge, opened 0n 4th Sept 1964, spans the Firth of Forth; connecting the capital city Edinburgh, at South Queensferry, to Fife, at North Queensferry. The bridge replaced a centuries-old ferry service to carry vehicular traffic, cyclists, and pedestrians across the Forth; rail crossings are made by the adjacent and historic Forth Bridge. That's 2.5 kms long too!

Here's a photo of both the bridges. The view of the rail bridge from the road bridge.

The grand view of the firth road bridge

Her majesty Queen Elizabeth II walked on this bridge I believe on 4th Sept 1964. I walked on this bridge on 6th March 2009. Almost 45 years later.
Those are great pictures, the railway bridge looks geat, reminds me of the Kolladam Bridge at Trichy.

Just checked the maps, I was way off from Ediinburgh, took a long right turn south after Glasgow Airport on M74 then on to M6, I must have ben at least 70 KM from your bridge which is on A90 between south and north Queensferry.
=====
Old 12th November 2009, 07:17   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
, I liked this part.

Some beautiful photos Mx6 aand ramky
Old 12th November 2009, 10:23   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai Arindam,

Thanks Brother. You should try a driving trip to the Lake District, it would be magical for sure.

I've fallen in love with the place and now know how the Lake Poets got inspired to write immortal lines......
Was in UK for 5 months in 2001, could not visit the Lake District (due to spread of Foot & Mouth disease during that time).

All my photos during that time are in hard copies, otherwise would have shared few.

The day we were at Glenco it was cloudy, drizzling time to time, the wavy mountains with traces of snow still on top, a bagpiper playing, it was almost out of a fairy tale.
Old 12th November 2009, 10:31   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Was in UK for 5 months in 2001, could not visit the Lake District (due to spread of Foot & Mouth disease during that time).

top, a bagpiper playing, it was almost out of a fairy tale.
Remember my breakfast friend Benson saying something like they were not allowed entry into Cumbria which had maximum problems with F&M, said the whole area was cordoned off, access and travel inside Cumbria itself was a problem.

Glencoe around winter would be beautiful.

==
Old 12th November 2009, 14:05   #114
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
, I liked this part.

Some beautiful photos Mx6 aand ramky
Thanks for the comment Laluks. Reading Ramkya's blog is unleashing the writer in me. I'm waiting for him to finish his travelogue (but the feeling is that hope it keeps going on and on as it is too good to end soon). I will definitely put some time in to penning my thoughts and my travelogue with the much acquired and respected English humour.
Old 12th November 2009, 14:34   #115
BHPian

Ramkya,

A terrific terrific post. Very inspiring.

I have always been fascinated by the Scottish Highlands and the Lake District.
I like the way the British Government has this AONB ( Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty) for England and Wales; Scotland has a different terminology which I forget now.

I will have to re-read your post on your road trip in Scotland as well as in the Lake District, to imbibe it fully.

To me the austere beauty of the Scottish Highland and our very own Himalayas are two outstanding areas of natural beauty on our planet.

Thank you for a most delightful and enlightening thread.

How easy ( or difficult) is it to drive up to Scotland ( through the Lake District) from London? [Nothing like driving in a Maserati Ghibli from London to Inverness]

Regards
Old 12th November 2009, 18:06   #116
akp
BHPian

Ramkya,
thanks for a nice travelogue and some fabulous photographs. Really enjoying it.
I have a small query. Did you pick up an International driving permit from your local RTO here? If yes, did you have to do any extra paperwork in UK, or this permit was enough?
Thanks.
Old 12th November 2009, 18:23   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Ramkya,
thanks for a nice travelogue and some fabulous photographs. Really enjoying it.
I have a small query. Did you pick up an International driving permit from your local RTO here? If yes, did you have to do any extra paperwork in UK, or this permit was enough?
Thanks.
International permit was very easy, had to show Visa and Tickets to the RTO, through an agent costs 1K. Though no expiery is given there, the agent said it's for 1 year only, don't know what is the truth??? No extra paper work, the rental agency just looked at it but took a photocopy of the original licence.

@ISSIGONIS: Not difficult, about 11 hours, you can drive thro. Perth too, faster. On the way back you can touch Lake District, better this way.

If you see the Lake District and then go to Scotland, you'd be disappointed. What you'd get in 500 km in Scotlant, you'd get in 250 at Lake Dstrict, it's much more beautiful and compact, IMO.

That would be something, driving a Masterati all the way... keeping within the speed limits would be difficult with an thunder like that under the hood!!!! 2 door, 330 hp V8 engines?

========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 12th November 2009 at 18:27.
Old 13th November 2009, 04:38   #118
BHPian

Hi ramkya1, your pictures and narration were breath-taking, have given 5 stars! This thread can be used as a guide for Eurotrip for sure. Thank for your efforts.
Old 13th November 2009, 09:47   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Hi ramkya1, your pictures and narration were breath-taking, have given 5 stars! This thread can be used as a guide for Eurotrip for sure. Thank for your efforts.
Thanks for the rating and encouragement.

That was the main reason for me to put up narration and pictures.

Just now caught up in work, when I get some time this week-end, hope to finish.

=======
Old 13th November 2009, 11:55   #120
BHPian

Ramkya sir, will wait for your posting, i am right here with you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks