Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:08   #1

Coimbatore to Hogganakkal on a Victor.

This wonderful trip happened way back in 2003, soon as I brought my TVS Victor GL. It so happened that my family was at Cochin, my hometown, and I was at Coimbatore, where I work. It was October 2nd, and I had nothing to do. For some reason, I did not feel like going home. I wanted to free myself, and decided to go to Hoggenakkal, which is in the Tamilnadu - Karnataka Border. (Sorry, I dont have any photographs of the Trip. I was all alone.)

I started by 5:30 AM armed with a helmet (vehicle papers of course) and nothing else. Filled up the fuel tank and started rolling. Since it was a brand new Bike, still in running in period, I took care not to exceed 45-50 kmph. It was very smooth and the sun was rising before me, and I proceeded to Salem, some 155 kms away from Coimbatore. I made two stops for tea in between. Reached Salem at around 9 O Clock and then, proceeded to Omalur, which is on the Bangalore Highway. From Omalur, I took left, to Mechery, which I reached some 2 hours later. This route was fantastic, where one cannot find any other vehicle en-route. This was very beautiful. Not a soul in sight for such a long time. It never happened in my life before. The Bike was just doing fine, and was absorbing the humps and potholes very well. I should appreciate the makers of the bike for providing a seat that fits the indian backside. No Backaches. One hour after Mechery, I reached Pennagaram, from where the forest region starts and we have to furnish our details and the vehicle details to the forest authorities. Got company from a lot of Simbians. Reached Hoggenakkal by 1.00 PM. I made it a point not to race and ride in a medium pace, so that I could enjoy the road and the senic beauty as I proceeded. This was my first solo long ride ride on a motorbike.

As soon as I reached Hoggenekkal, a group of people surrounded me, offering to take me around. Finally I agreed with one for a sum of rs. 350/- for a 5 hour trip in his Basket like boat. He was a nice guy, and took me around. Soon, he showed me a place where I could get fried fish so fresh that as soon as they catch the fish from the river, they clean it and fry it, and it is served hot. I gave my guide Rs. 20/- and he bought me some 10 prices of fish, which I asked him to share with me, which was happily obliged. He told me that this place is in Veerappan's Territory, and told ma a lot of his stories. He offerred to give me a oil massage, which I turned down with thanks. Soon, the trip was over and I headed back to Coimbatore. I started by 6.00 PM and took the return route via Dharmapuri, Salem. Since I had nothing else since morning except two- three cups of tea and some pieces of fried fish, I decided to stop at a Dhaba and treated myself with 'Chicken Fried Rice'. What surprised me was the quantiry. They charged me Rs. 70/- for it, but it was enough to feed at lease three like me (I weigh 90 kg). Hoggenekkal - Dharmapuri is about 45 kms. As soon as I left Dharmapuri, It started raining, which spoiled the entire fun. The traffic from Bangalore was heavy. In there was no other option, but to drench myself in Rain. I made some stops for heating up myself with hot tea(thank god ! that was available in plenty !) The rain lasted till I reached the outskirts of Coimbatore. It was about 1.00 AM. I decided to have another cup of Hot tea before I reach my residence. I found a man shutting down his tea shop, which was adjcent to his house. I asked him whether I could get some tea. He looked at me and asked from where I was coming from. I told him I am coming after a trip from Hogenekkal. He immediately went to his house and brought our his wife and showed me to her, telling her 'see he is coming from Hogenekkal, some 300 kms from here.' Soon, I was given a glassful of hot tea, and they were very reluctant to take money from me. finally, after much cajoling, they accepted the money and I soon,was back home in one piece.

I was expecting some serious bcak pain the next day. But I found that the Victor has taken the beating very happily and has protected my back perfectly. I think this is a very good bike. I still keep it. With lots of smile...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks