Team-BHP > Travelogues

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:09   #1
BHPian

got leh'd Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai 6100 kms, 4 bikers

wow! what a journey! the journey to be proud of all my life!

we started from Mumbai, rode to Leh and road back to Mumbai.. Pure awesome 21 days of my life.

Route:

Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Ajmer - Delhi - Chandigarh - Mandi - Manali - Darchu - Baralachala (16000fts) - Pang - Tanglang La (17500 fts, 2nd highest road in world) - Leh (Ladakh, main destiny) - Chang La (17500 fts, 3rd highest road in world) - Pangang Tso (300 kms lake going in china with 7 colors) - Khardungla (18360 fts, highest motorable road in the WORLD) - Ladakh - Kargil - Drass (2nd coolest inhabitant place in world) - Shrinagar - Jammu - Amritsar - Haryana - Punjab - Rajasthan - Ajmer - Godra - Mumbai

To start with a teaser pic.

Attached Thumbnails
got leh'd Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai 6100 kms, 4 bikers-img_6701.jpg  

Old 3rd November 2009, 17:48   #2
BHPian

Thnkx guys for the anticipation!

Day 1

first day of sports tracker, sorry for lotsa broken routes
Nokia Sports Tracker Beta

I did not sleep for the night. I tried thrice but could not! "I am riding to Leh" kept resonating in my ears! was sitting in the dark room with the window open and smiling at myself!

have packed up all my luggage in the night itself! called up rachit to know he did not sleep too told him that I will meet him at fountain at 4:30.

bid good bye to my room mate and took all the backs to the garage to load up on the bike. Black Jacket, gloves, knee caps.. darn those stray dogs gave me a good chase! finally our security to the chase with the dogs and i got relieved!

took the bike outside.. clicked the electric start, vroom the engine screamed! saddled up and started at 4:00 from my house!

was amazed to see few people waiting for to see us off! they were there at the hotel before us and that too at 4:20 am in the morning I was shocked!

more friends started coming and I felt like a celebrity later winzee arrived with no saddle bags, no tank bag, no jacket and all plastic covers wrapped around his bike! it was a sight to watch!

saddle bags from shiva, tank bag from cos and jacket from motorbreath and man he was ready for leh in 10mins!

Later rachit and prasad arrived! Got some chicken sandwiches in the bag for later!

There were around 12-14 guys came to see us off.. this gave us a lot of confidence and a very warm start! thanks guys.

Parked our bikes in a line and rachit suddenly took out a coconut! I thought may be he eats a lot of them
He nattered a parayer to the almighty and bang, the coconut was into pieces!

We bid our friends good bye and we were on the roads.. I had some pride on this trip which kept me smiling for the first 15 mins of the ride and that was an awesome feeling which i never experienced!

we did some 80kms and I stopped since my stomach was busy playing drums! :P took out the sandwich and we all had a bite of it. Some magical ingredient was there I guess which never kept me hungry till 11:00 am.

too much traffic jam once we entered Gujarat. It took us 2 hours to cover 10kms with a little off roading here and there! The traffic was still which made very tough even to move the bike! totally exhausted due to the heat. people were asking us a lot of questions, a lot! there was this gentleman who helped us get through the traffic and he even offered us to come sit in his house for a few minutes. good people are still there I thought! there were some crazy guys who were revving hard and trying to race with us in that still traffic :P

got out of the traffic atlast and found a road side shop where we drank around six bottles of water. I myself drank around two of them

we were riding through big big trucks again trying to negotiate a way out. finally in a distant sight the four lane was visible. I felt like i was in some kinda guy who was in a war and heading back home!

Stopped for a small sugar cane juice break

all saddled up we were riding with full charge now. we zoomed across vadodra and skipped the expressway since we were not allowed.

we stopped for lunch in a road side dhaba. they served us chicken and i was amazed, chicken in gujarat? we are lucky today! we were sitting outside and we were asked to move in since there were some veggies sitting outside. had lotsa chicken curry and egg bhurji. prasad had a small nap and we were making fun of the printed rupee notes which were hanging in the shop. the bikes were literally like frying pans due to the heat! poured in some water on the seats so that our butts does not get fried on the very first day of our journey.

we reached ahmadabad at around 4:00 pm. it was a total mess when we entered the city! we stopped near a town near the highway and started searching for a decent room to stay, but in vain. we were told to go a little ahead and we could find some good hotels.

finally found "Hotel Peace" and we bargained the price saying we are touring across India and we are out of money! Got an ac room for 850 bucks with extra beds and stuff.

ordered food, begged the room service guy for dharu since i forgot the monk at my home. no dharu, not a surprise since we were in ahmadabad but amazing food. we watched tv till 1:00 am and dozed off!
Attached Thumbnails
got leh'd Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai 6100 kms, 4 bikers-img_6264.jpg  

got leh'd Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai 6100 kms, 4 bikers-594676.jpg  

got leh'd Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai 6100 kms, 4 bikers-594667.jpg  

Old 4th November 2009, 14:37   #3
BHPian

DAY2

i am not a very good narrator and i have tried something.. so dont throw rotten tomatoes and eggs at me!

sports tracker link,

Woke up early in the morning.. 6am! took bath and checked out of the hotel. saddled up at around 7:30 and we were confused about which route to take.. everyone was telling us a new route. finally settled for the Naroda road so that we can catch the highway without stepping into Ghandinagar. We kept riding and darn there were lotsa branch roads.
we took the wrong route and ended up in a junction where an uncle told us to take the Ghandinagar route. he promised us that the roads are very good and its thru the national park. The route was beautiful indeed.
dog was the only visible animal inside the park since it was morning. :P we saw a bunch of peacocks flying over us though! that was a sight. before i could remove my camera from the saddle bag they dissapeared. the roads were amazing with green flush all aound us.
We reached Gandhinagar Thermal Power Station and could not ride without stopping. huge cooling towers in the plant which stood majestically.

we started posing near the jet fighter with fully geared and a helmet in hand.. people were asking weather we are jet pilots and we told them yes we are! you should have had a look at their faces!

Re: got leh'd Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai 6100 kms, 4 bikers
DAY2

i am not a very good narrator and i have tried something.. so dont throw rotten tomatoes and eggs at me!

sports tracker link,

Woke up early in the morning.. 6am! took bath and checked out of the hotel. saddled up at around 7:30 and we were confused about which route to take.. everyone was telling us a new route. finally settled for the Naroda road so that we can catch the highway without stepping into Ghandinagar. We kept riding and darn there were lotsa branch roads.
we took the wrong route and ended up in a junction where an uncle told us to take the Ghandinagar route. he promised us that the roads are very good and its thru the national park. The route was beautiful indeed.
dog was the only visible animal inside the park since it was morning. :P we saw a bunch of peacocks flying over us though! that was a sight. before i could remove my camera from the saddle bag they dissapeared. the roads were amazing with green flush all aound us.
We reached Gandhinagar Thermal Power Station and could not ride without stopping. huge cooling towers in the plant which stood majestically.

we started posing near the jet fighter with fully geared and a helmet in hand.. people were asking weather we are jet pilots and we told them yes we are! you should have had a look at their faces!

the next journey was one of the most memorable trip! we did 210 non stop. we were very happy to ride on the small mountains after the lengthy straights!
we were doing all monkey stunts like leaning and cornering. it was fun. none of us came to know that we covered that much. all the guys were still riding and i decided to stop to give a break to the bike.

we had garam garam chai and some pakoda!

we kept riding as long as we could in the scorching heat of rajasthan. i was literally baking inside my jacked since it was made for cold weather and rains! darn RST! now i realized "Indian roads, Indian jackets"

the road to ajmer from udaipur was a single lane highway flooded with trucks. so we thought of taking the super smooth highway via Chittaurgarh. that adds around 120 kms extra though!

we got lost somewhere in the middle of the desert. it was a desert since we cant find a single shadow, a single tree or a single soul to ask for directions!
got totally exhausted. to add to our tragedy ther was no water to drink too. we went on the wrong way a little ahead hoping there will be some shop where we can buy some water.
no. nothing there! prasad got mad and he started running around the desert for water. finally after 15mins are so he came like a god with water.
drank the whole bottle and we were waiting for someone to pass to ask for directions.
finally few under 18 guys driving a car came by. sorted out the directions and we were on our way. took the correct Bhilwara route.
now its 3:00pm and we wanted to gas up our bikes and some food for our tummy.
found a good a/c dhaba in the middle of no where! people were very arrogant though. they told us to keep all our helmets down since the hotel might get flooded with people.
for god's sake there were around eight big big tables and we were the only soul in that room. without any option we obliged him.
food was good though. what more can you ask for in the middle of a desert? good food, a/c room and we were more than happy!

started riding towards Ajmer. darn it was hot. i was riding in the shadows of big trucks for a long time conversing with the truck drivers! that was fun.

we stopped after a 150km ride and there were very old people resting under a big tree. asked their permission for a few clicks and they offered us water after that.

finally at dusk we reached kishangarh. got a huge room for 850 bucks which had four cots with an a/c room.
loads of thandoori chicken and rotis.. fueled a little bit, feasted and slept!
Attached Thumbnails
got leh'd Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai 6100 kms, 4 bikers-img_6272.jpg  

got leh'd Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai 6100 kms, 4 bikers-img_6274.jpg  

got leh'd Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai 6100 kms, 4 bikers-img_6275.jpg  

got leh'd Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai 6100 kms, 4 bikers-img_6278.jpg  

got leh'd Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai 6100 kms, 4 bikers-594691.jpg  

got leh'd Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai 6100 kms, 4 bikers-594699.jpg  

got leh'd Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai 6100 kms, 4 bikers-img_6280.jpg  

Old 13th October 2010, 13:09   #4
BHPian

do you have travelogue in excel sheet with routes and all.???
Old 13th October 2010, 14:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

Old thread. Not active for a year. Closing it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed