Team-BHP - 'Xing'ing around ! - Trainspotting at Dudhsagar.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   'Xing'ing around ! - Trainspotting at Dudhsagar. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/69455-xinging-around-trainspotting-dudhsagar-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigbarai (Post 1584536)
However, is it safe to walk thru train tunnels ? :eek:

It is indeed safe. The tunnels are wide enough to stand aside when the train passes by. They do sound their horn and are noisy enough to know when they are coming. Talking from my Sakleshpur Rail Trek Experience :)

Fantastic travelogue !! Though Dudhsagar and CastleRock are favoured destinations of the members of the Indian Rail fans association, this is as an exceptional report as it has been done by trekking between the Stations. Wonderful photographs. Kudos !!

What a hotstuff travelogue. awesome.

Dudhsagar falls during the rains is mind blowing. Veerapan Kanavali WOW! nice place for lunch. Have been to this place many times.

Trekiing on the tracks is actually dangerous & we have to be very careful.

Nice travellogue man. Walking along a railway track seems like fun man

@ramkya1
@mathranik
@akroy
@akbaree
@ravibhat
@jigbarai
@muralisk
@Indian Ranger
@milindajp
@KRRaj
@kannan666
@sami316
@emkay456
@kiren
@maddy42

Thank you all for your comments!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramkya1 (Post 1583975)
...Remember, 20 years back when we went for our honeymoon, took a train from Mysore to Goa, took 24 hours to Vasco on Dec. 22nd. There was this one compartment which was full of honeymooners, compartment gets detached and attached to 3 different trains on the way, last one at Arisikare and goes over Doodsagar falls, have photos of it in an album somewhere!!!! Brings back lovely memories, thanks for starting the thread....Wonder if that train runs now????

Ramkya Sir, I Googled around to check out the trains that used this route and looks like this is a fairly busy route even if we consider only passenger traffic. (Link below). I think the Mysore-Goa trains have been discontinued.

Castle Rock Station | Cleartrip

Quote:

Originally Posted by akroy (Post 1584423)
...How much distance did you walk on track?

@akroy; The distance between Castlerock to Dudhsagar is 14 kms. Ideally it should take around 3 hours to cover the distance. But we took 5 hours; since we stopped for a leisurely lunch, took a 30 minute break at the smaller waterfall and paused at a couple of places for pics etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravibhat (Post 1584507)
...Castle rock name is because of lot of castle type rocks around that area mostly named by British. I heard Jungle lodge people conduct safari too in that area although animal spotting is limited. Rafting is famous activity there. Its advisable to visit that area before Feb end. (summer is hot) and avoid rainy season. Best time to visit is October to Feb so you visiting in perfect time.

Do trekking next time around Kali river around Kaiga-Ganesh Gudi-supa area although there might be security issue since that area has lot of reservoirs....

Yes, Ravi; even I heard the same comment when we were there... that the JLR jungle safari may not be great due to very limited animal sightings.

As for rafting, normally water is released from the dam into the river every weekend and the rafting trips are timed accordingly. However there seem to be some changes in the release schedule and even the JLR folks were caught unaware. Water had been released the previous evening due to a spike in power-demand and the weekend rafting had to be canceled.

Since rafting is a good money-spinner for JLR, they will re jig their schedules as per the new release times. Anyone headed that way should confirm with JLR the evening before the trip to confirm that rafting is on. (The JLR folks had tried to reach us the previous night, but we were out of phone range.)

The JLR folks also organize light treks/ nature-walks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigbarai (Post 1584536)
...However, is it safe to walk thru train tunnels ?

As far as the train is concerned, yes; there is space on both the sides to stand aside and let the train pass. However you have to carry a torch to ensure that you don't step on any snakes that may have taken shelter inside the tunnels. Also, the gravel between the sleepers may have been removed during the maintenance work, so need to walk carefully.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRRaj (Post 1584732)
...What is the best time to go? I heard it as December, but also was told that too many tourists come and it would be crowded. Is Jan a good time to go?

As @ravibhat has mentioned in his post, the best time would be between Oct to Feb, which is a pleasant season. If you do the trek during the rains, you can catch the falls at its best. Water levels steadily decrease from the June / July peak.

December may be a bit crowded due to the holidays and the year-end tourists, but the area is quite spread-out, so no problems.

Just remember to ask at the Castlerock station and also reconfirm at the Dudhsagar station about the trains that stop at DS. If you miss the last train, there are no night-stay / food options at DS. I don't think there is any proper road access / alternative transport facilities from DS station either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kannan666 (Post 1584775)
..And are the tunnels wide enough to go through in case a train passes by when you are actually in the tunnel ?

Yes, Kannan; there is gap on both sides. There was repair work going on inside a couple of tunnels and the workers would just stand aside and let the trains pass. But it gets very noisy inside the tunnel!

Envious travelouge you have here. Hope sometime to do the same. Had seen the durgasagar falls once when coming from Goa to Bangalore that was at start of monsoon and the falls looked majestic.
Can you please let know the accomodation rates and contacts that you used apart from JLR?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpksuhas (Post 1823231)
Envious travelouge you have here. Hope sometime to do the same. Had seen the durgasagar falls once when coming from Goa to Bangalore that was at start of monsoon and the falls looked majestic.
Can you please let know the accomodation rates and contacts that you used apart from JLR?

@mpksuhas, apologies for the late response. Have been traveling and without a net-connection for a couple of days.

First of all, try and plan your visit during the monsoons or a little after... right now the falls has very little water.

IIRC Castlerock doesn't have too many accomodation options and Dandeli is the place to use a stop over for the night.

There are quite a few small and 'budget' resorts in and around the place (not big enough to be advertised.) I remember that we had booked the rooms for the night at 600/- per room + 100/- for each extra bed.

For the water sports and rafting, JLR is the best bet since they'll take care of everything.

Just saw these snaps now ! Amazing !

Only thing close that I can remember is Sakleshpur to Kukke which I did quite some time back when trains were halted due to Gauge conversion. But this is class apart with the water all its glory ! I had done this stretch by rail and had seen the falls, but not by trek. Will do it some day for sure.

Count me in Ampere. I'd like to do a trek too.

Did you have any IRFCA members along with you while photographing trains as Dudhsagar is absolutely one of the best areas in India to spot double and triple header wdg3/4 headed trains banked by some more locos while climbing up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotstuff (Post 1830037)
@mpksuhas, apologies for the late response. Have been traveling and without a net-connection for a couple of days.

Hotstuff- Thanks a lot for the reply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotstuff (Post 1583940)
The tracks wind their way up into the hills...

Vijayendra Vir asks on our facebook page :
Planning a 2 nights 2 day visit from Pune to Dudhsagar Falls on a weekend [July / August]. Plan is to go by road to Castle Rock.

Trek along the railway line from Castle Rock to Dudhsagar waterfall (14kms and thru 11 tunnels and a few naked bridges) and back to Castle Rock.

Have been able to locate only two detailed travelogues along with photos till now for the railway trek. [I do not wish to make the kolem road trek to the base of the fall]..

Can somebody let me know of their experience of the railway track trek to Doodhsagar...

URL of travelogues :
1. Rain Trek - Braganza Ghats and Dudhsagar Falls

2. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...dhsagar-2.html

Thanks to respective writers of the blogs
Any advice?

Here's what i was just reading this morning,
Monsoon Magic