Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:08   #46
Senior - BHPian

Hey Majic, beautiful photos of the rainbow. And nice narration too. Do continue.
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:13   #47
BHPian

trrk Sir, thanks for logging on this thread, i hope you enjoyed the travelogue, there is still more to come please bear with me the next postings would come soon.
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

We'll lay off the 'sir' part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
trrk Sir, thanks for logging on this thread, i hope you enjoyed the travelogue, there is still more to come please bear with me the next postings would come soon.
It has been a pleasure to go through.

Moreover we have some tings in common - medical degree and a fondness for travelling. Unfortunately my family is not into travelling and even stopping for photos while travelling is a disturbance for them.

Hope to meet you.

And continue with the travelogue.
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:44   #49
BHPian

trrk, i agree with you on the sir part. Yes we could get to meet some time probably on drive to Alapuzha beach some time. Do PM me your number willl get in touch with you. Sorry with the part of family not enjoying traveling, my wife is like a travel freak i think it was only in the last two years during her pregnancy and also in first year of the child rearing that we had cut down to two to three trips. Either way we do atleast a minimum of 150-170Km drive a week. Thanks for your pateince in going thorugh my thread. Will do post more soon!
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:32   #50
BHPian

Sorry folks busy with the other travelogue, since no one is interested with this thread thought i will update that and then come back. Cheers
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:13   #51
BHPian

Finally Madurai

Madurai:
Much to our surprise it took almost 45 minutes to reach Madurai and was welcomed by a mad rush of traffic,with all people returning from the office and areas, it was very much crowded. I stopped at the first signal was the first near the white line, soon there came Motorbikes and Cycles before me. Some of them were even riding not bothering about the signal and a mute spectator to all this was a police man, speaking on a cell phone.

My uncle, was able to guide me to some extent but he said all the places are changed and was not able to recollect the correct landmarks but with a little help from the pedestrians and motorbikes we were able to reach the place. All of a sudden my Uncle recollected that we have to enter this gate.I immediately put the turn indicator applied the brake and tried to turn, I was unaware that someone was trying to overtake me as I was already on the extreme left with a little space left for turning, an Auto, I just looked at him smiled sheepishly and told “Sorry” while he tormented me with the choicest of abuse. He was turning around and still going forward when he accidentally hit a biker going in front of him. Sad, I was also partly responsible for this though it was the fault of the Autodriver.
Soon we were in company of our hosts who were very welcoming, after the initial chit chatting about the drive down and the excitement we soon were directed to the hotel where our hosts had booked rooms for us. Good ! time for some rest and freshening up. Bid the hosts goodbye and went along.

Mosquitoes in an AC Room.
Arriving at the reception of the hotel, I was really impressed. Soon our bell boy came with our luggage and opened our room 203. The room was well furnished, five minutes in there I came to my senses when I was swarmed by mosquitoes trying their luck for dinner on me. I called up the reception, very apologetically I was told that there aren’t any more AC rooms available. I asked for an Mosquito repellent. Sorry sir, we don’t provide as most of our rooms are mosquito free.
Not wanting to hurt our hosts who only wished that they do the best they can, I walked down out of the hotel and brought a Good Knight pack. After a quick shower, I relaxed watching TV while my wife went along to meet other relatives who were staying in the hotel. I don’t know when I dozed off. My wife had come to call me for dinner. As usual, dinner was excellent, though the stay was lousy, the food compensated. I asked one of the bearers what was famous in Madurai, one is Meenakshi Temple and the other is a drink called Jigir Thanda
Jigir thanda
I mentioned this to my wife was all the more excited to try it out. So it was decided we will make take a small drive to the temple and then try to get the drink. Soon we leave the comforts of room and make way to my car and after getting directions to the temple,we move out to the temple. Madurai is still very active during the night, lots of shops open at night and fruit shop, juice parlours etc.
After driving around for sometime we halted at a decent looking juice shop and asked for Jigir Thanda. The shopkeeper was like, What? I repeat, Jigir Thanda, No Sir, this is fruit juice shop we don’t sell that here. Where do we get this? Sir it is now out of fashion no one really drinks this, why don’t you try out something else that we have. No I will lookout somewhere else. Ok Sir as you wish, you may try it near the bus stand. So soon I was moving out to the bus stand, I walk around and ask some shops where I can get this. Most of the shopkeepers look at me in surprise, I suddenly get the feeling that I was being fooled into this stuff. Ok one more shop and then I will leave, the last shop keeper was kind enough to say, that this was once a popular drink but nowadays there are no takers for it. During the day you can find some peddlers selling. I walked back to my car and informed wife about the happenings. She took it quite lightly and said no problem we will have both Kothu porotta and Jigar Thanda tomorrow.

So we left back to the hotel to retire for the day. Just as I hit the bed my son is in all mood for playing as he was asleep for most part of the trip and I had to be a good father,so its going to be playing with my son at least till he sleeps
Old 3rd December 2009, 14:08   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hey Majic, nice narration. Waiting for the pics. Do continue.
Old 3rd December 2009, 14:12   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Some of them were even riding not bothering about the signal and a mute spectator to all this was a police man, speaking on a cell phone.

This, I think, is a common sight in TamilNadu. I have seen this everywhere I have gone in TN. I think Kerala is a little better in this area. Most of them stop when the signal is red.
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:23   #54
BHPian

Thanks CL and Diesel Addikt, i am acutally having a tough time loading the pictures taken with the camera, i dont know but i am not able get it attached , a message comes size is too big. Hey techies please help.
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:50   #55
BHPian

I have never uploaded a picture here. So I dont know what to do.

By the way, after reading your Travelogue i feel i should go via Thekkady this Saturday. I am going to Madurai for the first time. Hence please bear with me for the following questions.

1. Can you tell me the exact route if i want to go to Madurai without touching Thekkady ?
2. How much more time will I take if i decide to visit Thekkady as well ?

Note: As you know, I am starting from Cochin.
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:36   #56
BHPian

Thekakady is actually less than 4kms from Kumily town, there is not much you can do, but since you are driving you can take a break at this place. The detour will take only an additional of 15 minutes maximum.

There is also an option of going through Thodupuzha, Idukki, Kambamettu and then Theni. but i am not sure about the road conditions, the same upto Idukki etc is good.
i think it would be best if you stick to the same route that i took or if you are planning for more adventure then other route is advised
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T
There is also an option of going through Thodupuzha, Idukki, Kambamettu and then Theni. but i am not sure about the road conditions, the same upto Idukki etc is good.
i think it would be best if you stick to the same route that i took or if you are planning for more adventure then other route is advised
The route via Idukki is lovely, and the roads are fantastic. I have driven on that route 10 days ago till Madurai via Kumili and Theni and but for the small section of bad ghat road after Kumili, great road. I am told that teh route via Kambamedu to Theni is also good, but I have not been on it.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:01   #58
BHPian

HVkumar Sir, thank you very much for your information, it helped me with the drive from Kumily onwards towards lower camp. I had mentioned a word of acknowledgment in my travelogue and also do appreciate that you took time to check out this thread! Thank you sir once again!
Old 4th December 2009, 11:28   #59
BHPian

Hmmm... In a dilema now. Cant decide. So probably will go via Thekkady and come back via Idukki.
Old 4th December 2009, 11:57   #60
BHPian

I think that is a wise decision,i would suggest that you take the road through Thodupuzha in the morning and come back via the thekkady. That route is more spectacular.

Most Viewed