Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 12:20   #61
BHPian

Yes. Will do that. I will be starting by tomorrow morning 6am. Will be returnin by 12PM from Madurai on Sunday.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 4th December 2009 at 12:26.
Old 4th December 2009, 12:39   #62
BHPian

That's good, i think for the forward journey take Thodupuzha and for the return you can take the other road. in case of doubt or help feel free to call me
Old 4th December 2009, 18:02   #63
BHPian

@Majic Talk to you probably tomorrow. I would need advices on the routes.

@hvkumar Thank you for the info on the alternate routes.

Old 7th December 2009, 13:46   #64
BHPian

The return
Woke up quite early as we had to go to the church and also attend the function in the morning. Rains were still playing hide and seek. After time of devotion we moved to our hosts house for the function. With relatives it was more of exchange pleasantries, more like a get together.

I called my wife and told her that we would have to leave early so that we would be able to cover the ghats before sunset. I was not very sure about the brightness of Vista Headlight as all my attempts to upgrading didn’t work owing to the warranty clause. We planned to leave by 1 or the maximum by 2. Agreed upon, we went back to enjoying the function.
Actually with me things never happen the way they are planned and always there would be some problem cropping up. Today it was something more serious. My wife had gone to get the water bottle of my son, using the remote she opened the rear door, kept the key on seat and took the bottle and was feeding my son and he being in a not so good mood , she carried him away from the car and unaware that the keys were inside she shut the door. She was not aware of the auto lock mechanism of the car and now she had done it left the keys in car and the car was locked.
Now after understanding her mistake , she rushes to me literally in tears to inform me that the keys are left in the vehicle itself. I was like shocked, 265km away from home, that is where the spare key of the car and I don’t know what to do. I was like left in big soup not knowing what to do as it was my first instance of being locked out. Seeing my wife upset I told her no problem we can get it solved but my mind was thinking if things were as simple as said it would be good.

Luckily for me, I was in touch with a service advisor of Tata motors for the upgradation of the light and quickly recollected that I have his number. Soon I called him and informed him of my predicament, he like a cool customer informed me that no problem sir. Remove the beading on the drivers side, use something like that of steel scale and you can open it. Wow, that was simple, since the function was going on I thought I will wait for some time and try it out when the most of the guests have left. Assured that something is possible I once again reassured my wife that its okay.

Then a thought struck my mind, using the mobile phone, one could open using the spare key, the method is to keep your phone at a distance of from the car. I would have tried it but the spare key was in my home and surely my mother would be at church, sad I couldn’t try that out.

Soon the function was over and the guests were departing slowly. Time now was nearing 1.30 PM, we had scheduled to leave by 1.30 Pm, now that has got to change. Soon set out to try the scale technique as advised by the TASS advisor. I first had to find the a steel scale, I am soon able to buy one from a nearby shop. I proceed to remove the rubber beading outside the window. The first try and I am able to pry it out slowly, hey that was easy. By now a couple of guests who had come for the function were getting interested with what I was doing, I had spectators to my antics. As adviced, I tried moving the scale in between, EUREKA ! the door opened with a loud alarm. I immediately took the key and silenced the alarm.

Its really funny what life can do to you, now I am an expert in opening cars without keys. My wife gave me a nice smile which seemed to say, so the next time I leave the keys inside, you know how to take it out. Settled down for lunch which was fabulous mutton biriyani, it was really tasty. Might be because of the success I had in opening of the door of the car.
Majic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2009, 13:55   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
She was not aware of the auto lock mechanism of the car and now she had done it left the keys in car and the car was locked.
Now after understanding her mistake , she rushes to me literally in tears to inform me that the keys are left in the vehicle itself. I was like shocked, 265km away from home, that is where the spare key of the car
Every trip I make I carry my spare car key in a pouch around my waste to guard against getting locked out. Further, I am very fastidious about leaving the car doors open or window down whenever the car key is inside the car - an obsession that has led to quarrels at times with co-passengers who perhaps have never been through a "key-less" crisis before!
Old 7th December 2009, 15:48   #66
Senior - BHPian

What a scary situation! I always carry my spare key in my wifey's bag and make sure that the bag is always carried by her and never left inside my car.

Another precaution I take, is to remove my key from the ignition as soon as I turn off the engine. I am very careful about this.

Waiting for the details of the rest of your journey!
Old 7th December 2009, 15:51   #67
BHPian

HVKumar sir, thank you very much for the trip one incident has made me more wiser, i was thinking on having second key hidden somewhere under the bumber do you think that would work??
Old 8th December 2009, 11:22   #68
BHPian

@Majic

I went to Madurai and got back. Took the Idukki route on both days since I had to go to Mvtpha to visit my relative. The trip was great. But the sad thing is that the mileage was just 15kmpl for the entire trip.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:43   #69
BHPian

Nice Dieseladdikt, i think you would have enjoyed your ride all the way, i am not surpirsed by your mileage as most of the users of QJD are complaining on this front. Are we going to see pictures and a travelogue to accompany.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:00   #70
Senior - BHPian

very good snaps and very good narration. See this is the way it has to be done. Well done dude
Old 8th December 2009, 12:07   #71
BHPian

hahaha, finally Guru Shishir has finally come visiting this thread ! Thank you guruji!
Old 8th December 2009, 12:32   #72
Senior - BHPian

Majic i had visited this thread long back but since after every snap there was a continuation period and it never told it is the last set of snaps so i was waiting for the last set. Anytime for fellow BHPian
Old 8th December 2009, 12:47   #73
BHPian

Coming home!

Jigir Thanda and Kothhu porotta

So all set and done we were very much behind schedule, nothing much but around 2 hours, by the time we checked out from the hotel it was already 3.30 Pm. All I could think was returning back home at the earliest and so it was more like pushing the pedal. Unlike the last time this time there were no other passengers. Her Uncle and Aunt had said that they are visiting friends in that area and they stayed back. Wife was complaining that its because of your speeding that aunt opted for staying back. I had to assure her that those are nothing compared to what some of my friends do.

We were soon out of Madurai town limits and I kept on the pace, wife slowly fell asleep. What better timing and I see good roads ahead. After one hour she wakes up, Where are we? She asks, I say close to Theni, actually I was in Theni. Are you sure? Yes, yesterday were not able to cover the same distance in an hour. Ok, I admit I was doing good speed.
Soon it was past 4.30 Pm and we had reached Theni town from and we decided to take a coffee break. Suddenly my wife remembered about Jigar Thanda and was insisting on the drink, I told her no way as we are now in Theni, we wouldn’t be able to get that here. Probably we can have it the next time that we are in Madurai.

Now there was a small eatery near the teashop that we had stopped. I walk across and asked if they have Kotthu Porotta. The owner says yes and I order two parcel. I told him of our long term wish of savoring this and this put more enthusiasm with the owner who was assuring that it would be the best that you would have had in your life. After paying the shopkeeper I proceed back to the car. By then wifey had fed the child and was sipping the tea ordered earlier.

I put the two packets in back seat and asks out of curiosity what it is I tell her Kothhu Porotta, I could see her eyes wide and almost popping, she asks is that for dinner, no midway snack, since we would be driving and we might be very late for dinner.
After having the tea and paying for it I start once again proceeding to Cambam. The enthusiasm of the drive was still lingering in my foot that the pedal was floored once again. For the first time in history of this vehicle I was touching 120 Kmp.

Ayyappa devotees, it was really surprising about the number of devotees who are traveling through this route. What was more surprising was that some of them were walking their way across to Sabirimala. I was seeing them going from almost much before Cumbam. Their devotion is something that needs to be mentioned, walking without chappals. Amongst them I saw an old person, I think he must be a regular and might be the leader of the group who was the first person who was walking in line.

Soon it is dusk and we stop near Lower Camp, we stopped to take a break as we would be doing the ghats. The reason for the break can also be attributed to the aroma of two packets of Kothu poratta in the back. We soon were devouring it, sad that the same could not be shared with my son who was fast asleep. The food was really delicious and do request to any fellow travelers to this part of the country to definitely try the same if they pass through rural Tamil Nadu.After a 20 minute break we resume our journey.

The climb up hill was really too bad as the roads were filled with potholes and really in a bad shape. I took refuge behind a scorpio after I gave ample space to overtake so that he would be my pilot and he did a good job taking me up all the way to Kumily. Soon we reached Kumily. Wifey wanted to stop at some shop which sells Green tea. I told her that we could get it somewhere near Connemara. The drive continued soon we left Kumily town and we were steadily progressing to Vandiperiyar. Soon we reached Connemara estate and were surprised to find the sales depot closed, I got down and enquired with the person, as to Why? He looked surprised at my question? Saar, today is a Sunday its holiday. Now it was my time to apologise. After driving from Madurai and coming through Tamil Nadu, where most of the shops were open it never occurred to me that the day was Sunday.

All through the downward trip I was expecting to encounter some mist or fog but nothing was seen, we were still expecting them till Mundakayam. It was really surprising that we didn’t see and in the least expected place it was fogging, at the areas after Mundakayam. We soon realized it was futile to go through the thick fog with the Indica Vista standard headlights, we found them inadequate for the purpose. Well its time for pilot vehicle, soon a route bus running enroute was spotted and I kindly took refuge behind him , he was doing it in good speed and so we had to keep in pace with him soon we were nearing Kanjirapally.

I was not sure whether to drive all the way to Kottayam or to take the Pala route and from there the road to Piravam via Uzhavoor. I suggested that we stop for dinner at Kanjirappally, wife was like no I think we could do it at Pala, where the hotels are familiar with us. Soon after Kanjirapally town we took a left where the board said Pala 22 Kms. The traffic enroute was so heavy, much more than what was seen during the drive from Kumily. I had to slow down drastically, we were not sure whether we would be able to reach Pala at dinner time as most hotels would be closed by the time we reach.

As anticipated by the time we reached Pala , most of the hotels were closed. Just as I realize that we would miss our dinner, I started feeling more hungry. I told my wife that we would check out and see if anything would be available. Soon we were able to spot a roadside shop ( in the local language its called Thattukada). I was like anything would do, soon we were helping ourselves with hot soft porottas and spicy beef curry. Believe me it was fantastic. The taste still lingers in my mouth.
After dinner, it was time to trace our the road to Uzhavoor, I knew the road but there were a couple of turnings which did not have any boards and so it was just guess work as no one was there for asking the route. Soon we spotted on person walking and stopped beside him, our man was like really surprised, I think he felt that we were some gangsters, and was still looking flabbergasted still my wife rolled down the window and asked for the route. We were on the right track. Soon more familiar roads came and reached our quarters by 10.30 pm.

All I wanted was just to lie down. Soon I was l asleep with beautiful memory of the travel.

Statistical Details
Total km traveled: 557 Km ( Forward was through Kottayam, return through Pala, Uzhavoor) this includes 10km of internal running in Madurai town, thekkady etc)
Total fuel consumed: 25.60 litres ( Full tank – 11130- Refilled at Piravam next day-11687{ half kilometer to the pump})
Average mileage: 21.67 ( AC switched on for 15 %)
Majic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2009, 14:22   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Nice Dieseladdikt, i think you would have enjoyed your ride all the way, i am not surpirsed by your mileage as most of the users of QJD are complaining on this front. Are we going to see pictures and a travelogue to accompany.
Yes. I did enjoy the drive. I had taken a few pics in my mobile. But not posting them now since you have covered them in detail. And you have written a pretty much exhaustive description of the trip.
Old 8th December 2009, 15:08   #75
BHPian

Thats no problem , i think a couple of more pictures wouldnt do much harm. Hope you were able to enjoy the roads in plains of Tamil Nadu, what is the distance covered in the Idukki route?

Most Viewed