Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2010, 20:52   #91
Senior - BHPian

Old 14th January 2010, 21:24   #92
Senior - BHPian

The Last Leg - Udaipur to Mumbai

We left Udaipur before breakfast and as we had planned to eat something on the outskirts. Lunch was at Baroda and we were back in mumbai for dinner.

Not much traffic luckily and the roads are a delight as you can see in the pics and the video.

Was a smooth drive back home, with loads of memories in our hearts.

Mumbai Roadsters - Touring LADAKH "Roof of the World" in a Gypsy-dscn5363.jpg

Mumbai Roadsters - Touring LADAKH "Roof of the World" in a Gypsy-dscn5366.jpg

Mumbai Roadsters - Touring LADAKH "Roof of the World" in a Gypsy-dscn5371.jpg

Mumbai Roadsters - Touring LADAKH "Roof of the World" in a Gypsy-dscn5377.jpg

Mumbai Roadsters - Touring LADAKH "Roof of the World" in a Gypsy-dscn5380.jpg

Mumbai Roadsters - Touring LADAKH "Roof of the World" in a Gypsy-dscn5381.jpg

Mumbai Roadsters - Touring LADAKH "Roof of the World" in a Gypsy-dscn5393.jpg

Mumbai Roadsters - Touring LADAKH "Roof of the World" in a Gypsy-dscn5397.jpg

Mumbai Roadsters - Touring LADAKH "Roof of the World" in a Gypsy-dscn5399.jpg

Mumbai Roadsters - Touring LADAKH "Roof of the World" in a Gypsy-dscn4783.jpg
Old 15th January 2010, 17:12   #93
Senior - BHPian

Ladakh...in conclusion!!!

Ladakh - Finally, we had done it. There are trips and thee are trips .. and then there is Ladakh. I run out of superlatives for "beautiful", "exciting", "adventurous" …. while describing my feelings during the trip.

I still remember the week before we left, every day Mihir would ask me “are we going for the trip??” It was not a question, it was just a reassurance for both of us that come what may we have to do it this time. Even just 3 hours before we were abt to leave I was in 2 minds as I did not want to do the trip without Varun & Rahul, I called both of them and said that “I dont wanna go BUT”….and then I was blank. Every arrangement that had to be made was made, I had put in almost all my weekends for the last 4 months is getting the “Demon” ready for the challenge. I had taken I don’t know how many days of leave from work to get stuff done and now at the last moment I was in 2 minds. Till the last moment, even when we met Rahul and Varun before we left I was hoping that they would join us for the trip.

This situation had become such an emotional fight for me because I had never imagined doing this trip even with 1 person less. Driving alone was never a major problem; at the most we would have taken a few extra days. Doing it without friends who you knew wanted to go for it desperately but cant make it, was a major roadblock. At the end of it I am glad that Mihir and i decided to go for it…..

It was not just a journey or a road trip, it was an experience. An experience over 6000km and 14 days. From the highest motorable road in the world, to the highest desert, from driving on "non-roads" to driving for 28 hours straight, from double hump camels to strong stallions, from extreme cold and windy conditions at sarchu to the serenity of Pangong, From driving through Pagal nala to climbing Baralachla without the accelerator cable in place, from being scared of getting lost in More plains to getting scared of buried under a landslide o our way back, from visiting the Changla baba temple to darshan at Vaishnodevi, from headache at manali to breathlessness at changla, from mumbai to leh and back - we did it all, we experienced it all and as our souvenir t-shirts from khardungla say, "i was there".

We were back and from Khardungla and now it was going to be one of the tall flyovers in mumbai, instead of the sand dunes at Nubra it was going to be the sand at Juhu beach, instead of Pangong it was going to be Bandra lake, instead of the cold, dry and chilly weather it was going to be hot, humid and frustrating. Now we would have to wait in traffic jams on highways breathing polluted air instead of a traffic jam due to a land slide right next to a beautiful valley view with snow and flowers, we would have to get up early in the morning and leave home for office instead of the next location on our log….same old food instead of ladakhi bread and Maggie…..well the list goes on and on but I guess that’s the way life is…..

In this post I cannot even attempt to describe the beauty of Ladakh and nor do I need to do that after so many pics that you guys have seen on the wonderful travelogues posted this season. But all I am going to say is that it is a must to make a trip to Ladakh in every month of the season (obviously in different years) to really figure out how beautiful and diverse that heavenly paradise is…compare the pics similar spots in Suman’s and my log (or any 2 logs which contain pics of the same spot taken even at a 1 month interval) and you will know what I am talking abt.

And now that the trip has ended, there is only 1 thing which is a surety. We'll be back !! We'll do this again... and again !!!!

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 15th January 2010 at 17:21.
Old 16th January 2010, 08:13   #94
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Kaushik!!! Thats the spirit.
If luck has it I might do the trip soon, maybe this year or maybe the next one. I am off to Rajasthan next month and will get an answer whether me and my machine are physically fit for the Ladakh (I would like to call it a challenge but trip also sound good)!!!

I really love and admire your spirit!!!
Cheers bro!!!
Old 18th January 2010, 11:24   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Congrats Kaushik!!! Thats the spirit.
If luck has it I might do the trip soon, maybe this year or maybe the next one. I am off to Rajasthan next month and will get an answer whether me and my machine are physically fit for the Ladakh (I would like to call it a challenge but trip also sound good)!!!

I really love and admire your spirit!!!
Cheers bro!!!
Thanx a lot Harjeev for your kind words i really appreciate the fact that you have been following my thread all along.

Great time to visit RJ, was there in December and had a great time!!!
(Will start a thread soon...lol)

I am sure you will get a positive answer and you will go to Ladakh soon, may be we can go together this time if things work out.

Well here is how Ramky has described LADAKH "Mother of all drives" -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post

IMHO, Ladakh is truly one heck of a drive; few places in the world has roads as high as this with challenges like this. Europe, UK and US the roads are so good, the signages are brilliant and emergency responses so well organized, the risk is actually dwarfed. I've talked to / mailed to many foreign friends / relatives; hard core roadies dream of doing the Ladaky drive once in their life time, the adrinaline is in the actual danger of the drive, you can never be sure of anything on this ride!!!! I feel this ride is truly "Mother of all drives" and people who have done are really lucky and blessed.

--Ramky
=====

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 18th January 2010 at 11:28.
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:55   #96
BHPian

Wonderful photos. Loved your view on Nubra valley - nature as best painter.
Thank you.
Old 3rd February 2010, 14:13   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewithwind View Post
Wonderful photos. Loved your view on Nubra valley - nature as best painter.
Thank you.
Thanx a lot!!! Very True. Nubra in that month is at its best i would say.
Old 3rd February 2010, 22:09   #98
BHPian

KSM -Vtec, I read the whole travelogue and enjoyed.
I am planning a two months long landscape painting trip to Ledakh in may from Trivandrum in my Gypsy.
You think these extra lights were really useful in your Gypsy?

Is camping your own allowed in Ledakh?

Is there anything more a beginner have to know about travelling to Ledakh from your experience?
Old 4th February 2010, 11:39   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
KSM -Vtec, I read the whole travelogue and enjoyed.
I am planning a two months long landscape painting trip to Ledakh in may from Trivandrum in my Gypsy.
You think these extra lights were really useful in your Gypsy?

Is camping your own allowed in Ledakh?

Is there anything more a beginner have to know about travelling to Ledakh from your experience?
Thanx a lot!!!

If you plan to drive in the night they will help for sure. We did the Nubra Pangong stretch in one day via Warila. Having left late from Nubra we reached Pagal Nalla in the dark @ 8PM and the lights for of great use there.

Well camping alone shoud not be a problem i guess. But it sure does get very very cold at night. So you will need to look into that.

Diamox for altitude sickness in the is the only critical part, as altitude sickness can make or break you trip. Everything else can be taken care of.

Remember to organise your permits on time. Am sure you will get you car in full condition before you leave.

Also carry as many spares as you can. (Buy them on returnable basis if you can)

Do let us know if you need any help. Am sure there are many Ladakh Gurus on our very own TBHP.
Old 4th February 2010, 12:54   #100
BHPian

Kaushik, 2009 has been the year of Ladakh travelogues on TBHP and everyone wants to revisit Ladakh in their life! Seeing and hearing all this my heart has also started chanting Ladakh, ladakh.. But, it'll take time for us to plan that trip. BTW, lime other Ladakh travelogues, enjoyed yours too. Yes, pics show it clearly, what Ramky sir has said, it surely must be the 'Mother of all road trips'. I liked your narration in conclusion very much.
Old 4th February 2010, 12:55   #101
BHPian

Sure. Thank you very much.
I have done a trip to dwaraka(Gujarat) from Trivandrum last year and my MPFI king did very well. I have most of the basic FIRST AID for Gypsy. Will get in touch with you when the time comes.
Old 4th February 2010, 14:32   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Kaushik, 2009 has been the year of Ladakh travelogues on TBHP and everyone wants to revisit Ladakh in their life! Seeing and hearing all this my heart has also started chanting Ladakh, ladakh.. But, it'll take time for us to plan that trip. BTW, lime other Ladakh travelogues, enjoyed yours too. Yes, pics show it clearly, what Ramky sir has said, it surely must be the 'Mother of all road trips'. I liked your narration in conclusion very much.
Thanx a lot!!! It truly is the "Mother of all Road Trips"

Quote:
Sure. Thank you very much.
I have done a trip to dwaraka(Gujarat) from Trivandrum last year and my MPFI king did very well. I have most of the basic FIRST AID for Gypsy. Will get in touch with you when the time comes.
Sure any time!!!
Old 4th February 2010, 14:55   #103
BHPian

Congrats Kaushik for back home safe!!! your last post is absolutely delight to read.

Its a pending "Dream for Many" and you are already in the top 3%

Great spirits!!!
Old 4th February 2010, 14:58   #104
Team-BHP Support

Finally, the travelogue ends. You guys sure had a very adventours trip. Where there is a will, there is a way!
I guess you will be back this year? Well maybe, I will!
Old 4th February 2010, 15:36   #105
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Amazing travelogue you got there. Very dramatic landscape that goes with very dramatic narrative style. One never gets bored reading any number of Leh Travelogues. I guess, I'm inspired to say, after reading this travelogue, that there are only two kinds of people in the world. The one's that Leh'd and the one's who are planning on it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks