Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 19:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
I suggest following
Sorry Laluks: for highjacking your thread.
Hey Star, not at all an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Lalu will not mind if there are 2-3 OT post. Right Lalu??
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
well more My niece used to have motion sickness too. Then my cousin sis did a wierd innovation. Now she places an unfolded newspaper on the backseat and then my niece sits on it.
No more motion sickness however long the journey is. I don't know how it works but you could give it a try.

Infact I am happy that we are discussing how to enjoy the travel with kids, than keeping away because of them to grow. Both the kids and we lose out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Superb photos, Laluks. Nice transition to the DSLR world. I could not visit Avalanche when we were there. Your photos gave me another reason to head back to the hills! Please continue.
CL, plan the offbeat places next time, and get all the permissions required. Nilgiris will open out a lot of possibilities, and your chevy can enjoy its ride .

Quote:
Great pics and travelogue Laluks.

I'd been to Ooty a few years ago, but stayed to the main places only. Looking at your pics I feel like visiting again now.
Thanks gomzi.
Old 2nd December 2009, 20:14   #62
Senior - BHPian

Day 1, November 27th 2009 Continued

Kalhatty Falls - OOTY - Love Dale - Coonor - Sims Park

We left from Kalhatty waterfalls and reached Ooty by 09:30.

Queen of Hills welcomes us
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0073.jpg

Since we did not visit Coonor in our last visit except for the toy train station we decided to head to Coonor. The Ooty Coonor road is blocked due to the recent landslides and we were diverted through Lovedale, Ketty to Conoor. Some roads are bad, but there are roads to go, and connectivity is established. We reached Conoor by 10:50AM. If the other road was not blocked Conoor could have been reached faster.

By 11:00 We reached Sims Park. We spent an hour in the park. Frankly having seen many parks, Sims park did not inspire much. But the cool shade was a welcome break and we all took some rest from the travel.

Sims Park Entrance
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0081.jpg

Sims Park - A glance
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0082.jpg

Sims Park - Orientation
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0147.jpg

Nice Flower
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0089.jpg

Gimme RED, More RED any one??
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0110.jpg

Children play Area
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0106.jpg

Small bridge to the island
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0113.jpg

Fish in the pond
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0112.jpg

Path to gate 2
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0129.jpg

The oldest tree in the park
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0117.jpg

My lens is not enough
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0118.jpg

Finally
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0119.jpg

By 12:00PM we came out of the park and had some brunch from the near by Dhabha. Purchased some Passion fruits and guavas and drove to wards Lamb's Rock by 12:30PM

Continued...
Old 2nd December 2009, 21:39   #63
Senior - BHPian

Sims Park - Lambs Rock - Kattapattu - Kotagiri

By 12:30 we started from Sims park to Lamb's Rock. It was foggy and not much things were visible. Just took the gamble and went there. Lamb's Rock is named after a British captain who made a path to this spot in the forest.

Direction Boards
Swifted :  Ooty-dscn6538.jpg

The path to the view point covered in fog
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0152.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0154.jpg

As expected nothing could be seen of the valley from the viewpoints due to the thick fog. Spent some time lazing around and returned.

Trying to figure out what lies behind the fog!!
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0173.jpg

My elder one thinks climbing a tree might help to see more!!
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0188.jpg

The view point covered in fog
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0198.jpg

Fog everywhere, time to call it quits.
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0169.jpg

So we return, another path to the exit
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0209.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0222.jpg

While driving towards Dolphin's Nose, we spotted this waterfall.
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0245.jpg

We then drove further onwards to Dolphin's Nose. A little further we found Guernsey Tea Factory. You can visit them to see how tea is made. By now the fog got thickened. So we decided to call it quits as going all the way to Dolphin's Nose would then just become a ritual and nothing to see due to the thick fog. Locals told me the best way to avoid mist is to visit early. I also got the information that the roads were getting paved due to less number of visitors(due to the landslide). So we had to walk atleast a kilometer to the viewpoint on that date. Hence it was a wise decision to turn around. May be today the road work is over and you can drive till the end.

6 kilometers to Dolphin's Nose. Red Riding Hood enjoying the roads
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0250.jpg

See the paved roads.
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0252.jpg

Tea Estate on the road to Lamb's Rock covered in Mist
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0262.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0265.jpg

Red Riding Hood ready to get back to Kattapattu. See the fog behind
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0273.jpg

We turned around by 14:00 PM and reached Kattapattu by 14:30PM. We reached Kotagiri by 15:00PM. From Kotagiri, in the Mettupalayam road after 8KMs you get the Catherine Falls location. From the place you park it is a three Kilometer trekk to the foot of the falls. Due to the fog and trekk, we decided to give Catherine falls a miss too this time.

This day seemed to be very cloudy and foggy.

Continued...
Old 2nd December 2009, 22:45   #64
Senior - BHPian

Kotagiri - Kodanadu - Kotagiri - OOTY.

We reached Kotagiri by 15:00PM. We drove further onto Kodanadu viewpoint, dismissing the factor of fog. The views on the route was nice.

Some Views from Kotagiri
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0280.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0283.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0290.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0303.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0310.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0317.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0318.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0319.jpg

Tea Estates enroute Kodanadu view point
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0320.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0329.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0332.jpg

Red Riding Hood among the clouds!!
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0338.jpg

We reached Kodanadu View point by 15:40. Fog was playing spoil sport, but was not as thick as in Dolphin's nose.

Kodanadu View Point
Swifted :  Ooty-dscn6540.jpg

Views around from the view point
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0354.jpg

You can see a waterfall
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0364.jpg

Panaorama
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0366.jpg

A peak
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0370.jpg

Important peaks in Nilgiris
Swifted :  Ooty-dscn6539.jpg

We left the viewpoint by 16:00PM, reached Kotagiri by 16:30PM. You can visit Elk falls and Catherine falls from here.

Since the traffic was lean, we were allowed to take the normal Kotagiri Ooty Road, instead of the diversion. This road also suffered due to landslides, but they have brought the situation to control.

We finally reached Ooty 17:00PM.

Continued...
Old 2nd December 2009, 23:10   #65
Senior - BHPian

Ooty - Zest Danish Villa resort

We finally reached the resort by 17:15PM. This was a resort by Zest, Zest Danish Villa. Club Mahindra members can access this property. But the property was a very small one, but enough for us for this trip.

We were welcome
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0378.jpg

The entrance to the restaurant
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0382.jpg

Our Room for the night
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0312.jpg

Kids area
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0314.jpg

The corridor
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0327.jpg

Cottages
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0334.jpg

Garden
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0339.jpg

Flower like plant
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0341.jpg

Another one
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0344.jpg

Adventure Zone
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0351.jpg

Restaurant
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0357.jpg

Nice Flower
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0369.jpg

An X6. Never saw it started though it was religiously washed every morning like a ritual.
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0372.jpg

After checking in we discussed about the next day, and decided to stay back at the resort and catch up some rest and sleep. So the plan was a lazy day. Kids as usual found the fun zone and play ground and were in their world.

By 20:00 we had dinner from the resort. Menu was limited, food left a lot to be desired, but nevertheless Ok for us. We retired early dreaming of a lazy day ahead.

Last edited by laluks : 2nd December 2009 at 23:17.
Old 3rd December 2009, 00:21   #66
BHPian

Wonderful pics again, great to see so many natural colours.

The blue in your pics of Kotagiri is striking! We miss that in Mumbai where the sky is more of a murky dull blue at best.
Old 3rd December 2009, 07:31   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wonderful pics again, great to see so many natural colours.

The blue in your pics of Kotagiri is striking! We miss that in Mumbai where the sky is more of a murky dull blue at best.
Thanks gomzi.
We start missing the blue from Bangalore as well these days
Old 3rd December 2009, 09:37   #68
BHPian

Wonderful Lalu.

Interesting to note that the kids reserved their sleeping places using their Bags !
Old 3rd December 2009, 09:52   #69
Senior - BHPian

"lalu" You have done it agai. Amazingly superb and fantastic snaps. you are a professional i feel in taking photos and it is a privilage to watch these snaps with so much clarity and attention to details and thanks for allowing a small drift in the topic( on kids)
Quote:
Great pics and travelogue Laluks.

I'd been to Ooty a few years ago, but stayed to the main places only. Looking at your pics I feel like visiting again now.
well more My niece used to have motion sickness too. Then my cousin sis did a wierd innovation. Now she places an unfolded newspaper on the backseat and then my niece sits on it.
No more motion sickness however long the journey is. I don't know how it works but you could give it a try.
This is cool. i don't know how it helps but for me i tried that also. So best what i am doing is every now and then taking my kid outside so that he gets adjusted to the drive and now even he is adjusted to some extent. Last month when we came from bandipur he was sitting in the front(my brother in law wasd driving) and i was with him in the front wearing seatbelt and to my surprise until we reached bangalore not even a single time he vomitted. So i think he is getting adjusted to it.(but we had lots of breaks in between.we stopped in mysore,maddur and many other places also)
Old 3rd December 2009, 09:55   #70
BHPian

Good Morning Lalu, i see the the post for the day has been done, wonderful is just an adgective, your travelogue speaks more than that. Looking forward to the rest of the posts. Pictures- beautiful.
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:59   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Wonderful Lalu.

Interesting to note that the kids reserved their sleeping places using their Bags !
Thanks Murali.
They are so much used to travelling, that they have their own processes

Quote:
"lalu" You have done it agai. Amazingly superb and fantastic snaps. you are a professional i feel in taking photos and it is a privilage to watch these snaps with so much clarity and attention to details and thanks for allowing a small drift in the topic( on kids)
Thanks Shishir

Quote:
This is cool. i don't know how it helps but for me i tried that also. So best what i am doing is every now and then taking my kid outside so that he gets adjusted to the drive and now even he is adjusted to some extent. Last month when we came from bandipur he was sitting in the front(my brother in law wasd driving) and i was with him in the front wearing seatbelt and to my surprise until we reached bangalore not even a single time he vomitted. So i think he is getting adjusted to it.(but we had lots of breaks in between.we stopped in mysore,maddur and many other places also)
You can try getting a child seat and restrain him in that in the front passenger seat (if your car is without airbags, or you drive a expensive vehicle with occupant sensing) though I'd not advice to seat a child in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Good Morning Lalu, i see the the post for the day has been done, wonderful is just an adgective, your travelogue speaks more than that. Looking forward to the rest of the posts. Pictures- beautiful.
Thanks Majic. More coming up.
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:59   #72
BHPian

Nice pictures and nice detailed travelogue.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:26   #73
Senior - BHPian

"Lalu" still pics are in que. Wow that is amazing. Eagerly waiting for somemore clarity and detailed snaps
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:16   #74

Super post by a travel guru. I have done the same stretch 2 times. We also start at 4 AM always from banaglore. I have always taken about 5.5 hrs.
My daughter is also on your kids footsteps she is 5 yr old and gets up as soon as the alarm rings at 3:40. she is ready before me. She cannt help me with odometer though, but she has to ask if we are looking for directions to a particular hotel etc. So we have to let her ask from the window "which way is hotel X". I am sure she's gonna grow up with same passion.
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:40   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
Nice pictures and nice detailed travelogue.
Thank you akas.

Quote:
"Lalu" still pics are in que. Wow that is amazing. Eagerly waiting for somemore clarity and detailed snaps
Shishir, only Day 1 pictures are done, now we have three more days to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj_125 View Post
Super post by a travel guru. I have done the same stretch 2 times. We also start at 4 AM always from banaglore. I have always taken about 5.5 hrs.
Thank you neeraj.
A lot of factors influence, even the day - like a Saturday early morning will have traffic towards Mysore, etc. On 27th, the roads were mostly empty till Nanjangud , a rare thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj_125 View Post
My daughter is also on your kids footsteps she is 5 yr old and gets up as soon as the alarm rings at 3:40. she is ready before me. She cannt help me with odometer though, but she has to ask if we are looking for directions to a particular hotel etc. So we have to let her ask from the window "which way is hotel X". I am sure she's gonna grow up with same passion.
That's cool.
My Elder one is 10+, and the smaller one is 6+ years old. They both enjoy the serious stuff they do for their travel freak Daddy!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks