Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2009, 10:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Another Picture of the Shore temple in mahabali puram.
Attached Thumbnails
Enchanting Weekend Getaway Places Around Chennai-dsc00725.jpg  

Old 12th December 2009, 15:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

HI friends.
Here is another post of a picture which is in my store taken in Mamallapuram. Location Arjuna's Penance.
Attached Images

Old 14th December 2009, 21:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends,

On the link road between Sholinganallur (OMR) and Injambakkam in ECR there is a temple called Maha Prathyankira Devi Temple. It is a temple built for The Amman. Hindus can include this in their pilgrim list in between Mahabalipuram it can be seen on return from Mahabalipuram Via OMR.

In the mean time there is an ancient temple in Tiruporur which is dedicated to Lord Muruga, where he gives Dharshan as Kandasamy.
Old 16th December 2009, 00:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi Members,

There is another place to be visited is hear Tigers Cave there is an excavation of ASI. It is believed that this site is under development and it is found after the tsunami.
Old 16th December 2009, 18:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi friends,

After a drive of 41 kms from Chennai. You can find a road side park. It is a well maintained small park with a kiosk selling some snacks and soft drinks. Nice benches and trees and swings for the kids are there. If you are there with the kids they will enjoy a very little. You can sit under a canopy or tree in the benches and see them play.
Old 16th December 2009, 22:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends,
Some one wrote to give the heritage back ground of Mahabalipuram. It is not a joke to put it just like that. I know bit about Mahendra varaman,Narasimha varman as well as the back ground of Mahabalipuram which is my favorite place and Mamalla heritage restaurent is ny favourite vegetarian eaterie too. It was included in Unescos world Heritage site in 1984. Just give me some time to recollect the correct figures and names and it will be put up soon with atleast 90% accuracy. Rest can be corrected by our great Members. Some one pointed that GRT is expensive. Yes that is true but people can try Mamalla Heritage which is good as well as cheaper too.
Old 27th December 2009, 18:35   #22
BHPian

In addition to the eat Outs mentioned earlier, people can try "Barbeque Nation" in Hanumantha Road on North Usman Road. They offer two kind og Buffets (Veg as well as non Veg). one for Rs.300 and the other for Rs.500. The specialtiy in this place is the unlimited barbeque starters.The Food Is awesome as well as the ambience.

Beware: You need to make a reservation well in advance since this place is always full.

As far as the religious places these are my 2 cents,

1) Thirupachur - Sivan Temple - Theendadeeshwarar - it is located 10 - 15 Kms after tiruvellore in the Chennai - Poondhamalli - Tiruttani route

2) Bagasalai - Murugan Temple - Located near Kanchipuram

3) Singa Perumal Koil - Naramasimhar Temple - This is one of the cery Ancient temples around Chennai located over a hillock. It is 20 Kms from Tambaram on NH45

4)Kakkalur - Veeraanajaneyar Temple - Located in NH205 on the road that goes to Putlur Railway Station from NH205

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th December 2009 at 19:47. Reason: Back to back posts. Thanks
Old 29th December 2009, 11:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jason,
Thank you for adding the new items. In fact the eateries you mentioned is not known to me. On OMR one Sabari Classic is offering a good buffet lunch for Rs. 450 during week days.In Tambaram Henkala is offering a good buffet lunch all days for 250. Worth for the price. Another place in the city is Daba express in cenetop road for Rs.75 for Veg. They do offer non veg as addional payment.
Old 29th December 2009, 11:09   #24
BHPian

Great Thread, More Exploration Navan. Nice to see you bring out more about madras.
Old 29th December 2009, 12:50   #25
BHPian

It's Kalakshetra sir and not kalachetra...

Im so particular because it's the school which I studied in
Old 29th December 2009, 14:15   #26
BHPian

mahabalipuram in night...
Attached Thumbnails
Enchanting Weekend Getaway Places Around Chennai-img_1061-copy.jpg  

klassics45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2009, 14:44   #27
BHPian

Had been on a visit to Pulicat. Thought of starting a separate thread but felt that this thread is a better place.

On 25th evening , which was working day for me, got a call form my cousin for a short picnic on Saturday. Pulicat was quickly agreed upon and two more cousins joined up.

There are many spots in the lake to visit and the most popular one is through the Pulicat (Phazaverkadu) town on the TN side. This gives access to the small strip of land between the sea and the lake. However we decided to visit the AP side and chance to drive through the lovely NH5 was also a reason.

We left in 3 cars by noon and took the NH5. The plan was to go through Tada and visit the bird sanctuary located near by. But as we drove along, stopped at Arambakkam, a small town on the TN/AP border ,to enquire about the route. The locals informed us of boating facilities available near by and a person offered to take us along. The plan was to go to the tip of peninsular land mass which juts out of the northern end of the lake and come back.

After a bit of negotiation agreed for Rs.1000 for approx 3 hrs. We took a small but well maintained road of about 2 kms to reach the shore. Finished the packed lunch in the shore and got on to the boat.

Well it was a fishing boat with no proper seats no life boats. We were a bit worried since we were 8 adults and 6 children. The boat was long and narrow and boat man explained that these boats due thier shape never capsize. We had sit along the length of the boat in the center facing the sides.

Our Ride

Enchanting Weekend Getaway Places Around Chennai-im003461.jpg

Seating

Enchanting Weekend Getaway Places Around Chennai-im003462.jpg

The ride was wonderful. It was a calm day and except for the annoying noise of the boat's engine, we were one with nature

Enchanting Weekend Getaway Places Around Chennai-im003399.jpg

Enchanting Weekend Getaway Places Around Chennai-im003400.jpg

After a 50 min ride we reached the southern tip land mass in the middle of the lake

Our destination

Enchanting Weekend Getaway Places Around Chennai-im003434.jpg

It was a calm isolated part with the village called Kuppam a little farther to the north We spent some time exploring the place and I was surprised to see cultivation in the midst of the salt water around.

Enchanting Weekend Getaway Places Around Chennai-im003444.jpg

We found this water snake in a small pit dug for taking out fresh water

Enchanting Weekend Getaway Places Around Chennai-im003457.jpg

Soon the sun started setting and cast a golden hue over the lake. It was serene and sight to watch as the lake showed various colurs from bright blue, to murky green to golden yellow.

Enchanting Weekend Getaway Places Around Chennai-im003426.jpg

Enchanting Weekend Getaway Places Around Chennai-ex000023.jpg

Enchanting Weekend Getaway Places Around Chennai-im003459.jpg

Enchanting Weekend Getaway Places Around Chennai-im003454.jpg

Enchanting Weekend Getaway Places Around Chennai-ex000020.jpg

We started our ride back and as luck would have it , our boat's engine failed with 25% of the distance to go. The boat men (two nice youngsters), were hesitant to put the sails on, since the boat may rock with the sails and deiced to use the oar. Luckily we saw another boat coming our way and we were quickly towed to the shore.

Enchanting Weekend Getaway Places Around Chennai-im003464.jpg

The boat men were extremely nice and courteous and didn't allow us to tip the other boat which towed us, saying that it was their duty to see us on the shore safely.

We left by 6 pm and reached home by 8.30 pm

Trip stats:

Distance traveled from Nanganallur - 160 kms to & fro.

If you are interested in visiting a calm and unexplored part of the lake, this is the place.

Last edited by raju2512 : 29th December 2009 at 14:48.
raju2512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2009, 14:54   #28
BHPian

awesome snaps @raju place looks good ,i have just recently moved back to chennai and was looking around for quick weekend getaways for the family. Nanganallur looks good
Old 30th December 2009, 00:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi Raju,

I was planning to visit Pulicat, Periayapalayam, Kalahasti in January and post. But I doubt, even if I could have gone also I would not have done a wonderful adventerous trip like yours.The photos are mind blowing. I am in Medavakkam near by Nanganallur.

Great Native,

If you don't mind there is a small information. The place Raju visited is Pulicat and where he resides is Nanganallur in Chennai city.

Thank you Abishek,

You can expect more in the coming days. The coming days till February is my off season. I do lots of travel and give as much as I can for the travelers. I am preparing about the heritage story of Mamallapuram and will appear in the same thread soon. Once again thanks to everybody making this thread active and alive.

Last edited by navan49 : 30th December 2009 at 00:46.
Old 1st January 2010, 00:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi Travel lovers,

Another one day getaway can be planned Chennai Singaperumal Koil Nara simmar Temple. then straight to Maduranthakam Eri Katha Ramar Temple and to Melmaruvathur Adhi Parasakthi Temple and if time permits Thirukalukundram and return. On the way there is a A/C Motel near Pukkathurai after Palar.

Last edited by navan49 : 1st January 2010 at 00:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks