Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2009, 13:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

If you are passing through Panchgani, all they are supposed to collect is a similar small charge - something like two rupees or so, but less than the Rs 5 for Mahabaleshwar.
Old 9th December 2009, 16:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Thanks. It seems Road to Karde is in bad shape. I also went through your earlier post on Guhagar and Malvan. You had a good experience in Mangalya at Guhagar. Does they offer Non-veg also and what are the overall charges.?
Don't let the road to Karde discourage you, the bad stretch is just a couple of kilometres at the end, with one section that calls for careful driving.
Mangalya is at Velneshwar, and won't even serve you eggs! But their food is excellent and the room are for Rs 800 a night, food extra. It is a home stay and not a resort, but very good people as hosts.
Personally, I would recommend Malvan if it is sea food that you are looking for. A longer drive, but if you like fish, that is the place to head to. Although the vegetarian food is excellent as well. We stayed at a home, where we were served superb vegetarian meals by the lady of the house. That place was for Rs 800 a night as well. So if you can stay there at least 2 nights over a three day weekend, that is where you ought to head to!

Last edited by Sawyer : 9th December 2009 at 16:17.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:02   #48
BHPian

Thanks Sawyer for the inputs.. Curently I can not take any extra leave, so will stick to the 2 day plan of Karde only, with possibility of crossing over to Guhagar.. But Malvan as you said is surely tempting.. Lets see If I can fit it in the 31 dec-3 jan period, as I will be having holidays! Thanks again..
Old 9th December 2009, 17:22   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Purely , but wanted to know whether there is anything i.e. seperate drive thru fees for Panchgani bcos when I passed thru Panchgani on my way to Mahabaleshwar, they charged me for the car and for folks inside even though I was just passing thru the town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
If you are passing through Panchgani, all they are supposed to collect is a similar small charge - something like two rupees or so, but less than the Rs 5 for Mahabaleshwar.
panchagani have similar ticketing as mahabaleshwar.
just say that you are going to mahabaleshwar and hand over rs 5 and he will give you rs 5 pass to cross panchagani within 20 min.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:40   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but in the auctions, you will smell the people but not the fish!
Sawyer
Another travelogue and nice too. Great photos. Awesome is the word actually
Guess the people are not as fresh as the fish.
No free wheeling front hubs for your gypsy? Thats a good vehicle for these trips.
Maybe it's time I found me a Gypsy.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 9th December 2009 at 17:52.
Old 9th December 2009, 19:20   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Sawyer
Another travelogue and nice too. Great photos. Awesome is the word actually
No free wheeling front hubs for your gypsy? Thats a good vehicle for these trips.
Yes, thanks, but the real thing is a lot better I assure you, the lens is too constrained!
And I am not sure the FWH make sense to be honest, one more think to fail, and one more thing to fiddle with. I'd like to keep this a simple car.
Old 14th December 2009, 10:02   #52
BHPian

@Sawyer,
I am planning to do a small Kokan outing with my family. My travel route would be Pune-Dapoli-Guhagar-Ratnagiri and back to Pune (I will be adding a travelogue for that ). In this case I will be going down the Tamhini Ghat and then I will be going to Dapoli via Mandangad. So my question for you is , could you please tell me the quickest way to go from Dapoli to Guhagar and onwards to Ratnagiri ? Preferrably without coming back to NH-17.
Google maps shows there is no road and on of my friends assures me there is one to a place called Jaigad where a new creek bridge has come up.
Could you kindly guide me on this ?
Old 14th December 2009, 12:33   #53
Senior - BHPian

Varandha may turn out shorter than the route you propose to Dapoli, using NH 17 till the Khed turn off. The Kashedi part of the road is a very good drivers road as is the Khed Dapoli section.
I have never gone to Guhagar from Dapoli, but I know that there is a car ferry at Dabhol that takes you across the creek to Anjanvel and thence to Guhagar, but I am not sure of the timings.
From Guhagar, head south toward Velneshwar and then you need to ask for directions to get to the Bhatgaon Rai bridge that allows you to cross to the Jaigad side of the river, that will allow you to go to Ganapatipule, and thence to Ratnagiri all without touching NH 17. I have posted about that journey from Velneshwar to Ratnagiri in an earlier thread of a trip I made early last month.
Old 14th December 2009, 15:23   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Varandha may turn out shorter than the route you propose to Dapoli, using NH 17 till the Khed turn off. The Kashedi part of the road is a very good drivers road as is the Khed Dapoli section.
I have never gone to Guhagar from Dapoli, but I know that there is a car ferry at Dabhol that takes you across the creek to Anjanvel and thence to Guhagar, but I am not sure of the timings.
From Guhagar, head south toward Velneshwar and then you need to ask for directions to get to the Bhatgaon Rai bridge that allows you to cross to the Jaigad side of the river, that will allow you to go to Ganapatipule, and thence to Ratnagiri all without touching NH 17. I have posted about that journey from Velneshwar to Ratnagiri in an earlier thread of a trip I made early last month.
Thanks for the quick reply. Its very informative. Let me see how I can tackle that. By the way I didn't think of Varandha ghat at all. A long time ago I had a real nightmarish experience reaching Varandha. That was the time when that dam was newly built and had covered up the old road and the newer road not yet tarred was straight out of WRC and I did it entirely in my old M-800.
I assume that the Varandha ghat road is good. Tamhini is messed up bad as no one seems to repair it at all. Thanks for the info.
Old 14th December 2009, 15:44   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I assume that the Varandha ghat road is good. Tamhini is messed up bad as no one seems to repair it at all. Thanks for the info.
Varandha has a stretch of broken tarmac for about ten kms after Bhor, till the new dam. Other than that, its decent.
Old 14th December 2009, 15:47   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Varandha has a stretch of broken tarmac for about ten kms after Bhor, till the new dam. Other than that, its decent.
Ok Sir will remember that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks