Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 23:04   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
I am planning to go to Nandi Hill tomorrow early morning. I have traveled couple of times to BIAL, but not further. Hence wanted to know from BIAL how far is Nandi hills,

Read the blog but not able to figure out the distance, can anyone give the break up of the distances.

After BIAL how many kms is it and what are the landmarks to head towards Nandi hills.
Almost 25kms 30min drive from BIAL. I love the road to nandi Hills after leaving the highway, it's just awesome surrounded both sides by trees and fields!
Old 12th February 2010, 23:13   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Almost 25kms 30min drive from BIAL. I love the road to nandi Hills after leaving the highway, it's just awesome surrounded both sides by trees and fields!
Thanks a lot Ankush... Hope to reach by sunrise tomorrow. Will post pics after my return.

Last edited by kadri007 : 12th February 2010 at 23:15.
Old 13th February 2010, 23:05   #63
BHPian

My sudden plan to visit Nandi hills was really worth. Went in my Hero Honda Hunk with my better half. Started early morning around 5AM. It was my first unplanned visit, Team BHP helped me a lot to get some idea on the direction.

Nandi Hills is around 60 Kms from Bangalore. For new visitors here are some inputs

Yelahanka Kogilu Cross - To the diversion after Devanahalli - 21 KMS

The road after BIAL is pretty dark, no street lights, in the begining road directions are not there which may make you nervous since you may not find people around to ask for direction, but after Devanhalli junctions there are road directions and small roadside tea stalls.

The diversion comes after Devanahlli Railway crossing, look out for a Lafarge Redy Mix plant on left side after that you get the diversion from where you need to take a left to Karahalli.

In Yelahanka - Devanahalli road my speedometer was making a average of 80KMS. Fill your petrol tank before BIAL. There are few petrol pumps near Yelahanka cross.

There are directions at this junction, its better to keep on left and look out for directions, lights are very less.

From the Highway to Karahalli Cross its 8 KMS. The roads are very good, but there are unmarked humps, so be careful. There are tea shops on the way. The road is dark early morning, but there were many bikers heading towards the hill.

At the dead end of Karahalli cross take a left further 6 Kms you will get the Nandi circle, but this road was freezing and I forgot to take my hand glows. Also the fog was making visibility difficult, hence opened my helmate glass, but the cold pricks. You can easily drive in 60's in bike. The road was excellent. Never thought village roads to be like this.

Took a break at Nandi circle below the ghat to escape from freezing cold weather. From here another 8 KMS of ghat roads starts. There are quite a few Hairpin curves, the road condition is excellent.

Since there was a temple festival a lot of special KSRTC buses were there, need to watch out for these buses and keep safe distances. They take reverse at hair pin curves since it cant take the full turn at once. Also getting side from them also takes time.

It was my first time climbing the ghat in bike and it was really exciting. At the end of the road Tippu's fort welcomes and there is a bus stand and few shops.

If you are going by bike, you need to park here, If you are going by car, you need to take ticket here to go further up. Reached by 6.30AM.

The view of Nandi hills is just mind blowing, the clouds are below you. I think you must see my snanps to feel it.

My Photos (Yeshwanth Live)

Nandi Hills also has a Nehru Palace, Tippu's Guest House, A temple, A lake on top of the hill and a beautiful garden dont miss it.And be careful of monkeys. It takes around 2 hours to see all the things.

The KSTDC hotel was closed in morning, there are no good hotels in Nandi hills or below at Nandi circle. There is a resort at Karahalli junction.

While coming down the ghat in the middle we encountered the cloud, it was just amazing to drive inside the clouds. Have posted the pics in my site.

After coming down the ghat the view while driving back till Devanahlli is also good. You can see some village life. There is no traffic till BIAL. After BIAL till Yelahanka even though the raods are empty, don't cross 60KMS. Traffic cops are waiting with Speed camera's to catch.

All together it was a wonderful experience to visit Nandi Hills in early morning.

Last edited by kadri007 : 13th February 2010 at 23:11.
Old 14th February 2010, 09:58   #64
Team-BHP Support

@Kadri,

All unplanned trips turn out to be sweet ! I suggest you should try Devarayanadurga next ! Its another classy place. Only catch is that its off Tumkur road. You will need to bear the brunt of construction on this stretch.
Old 14th February 2010, 13:46   #65
Senior - BHPian

I was driving between Nagamangala to Hyderabad yesterday and wanted to avoid the Banglore city traffic so after Kunigal took a left to Kudur-Dobbaspet-Dodballapur and Chikaballapur and then onwards.Initially the plan was from Dodballapur to Devanahalli and then to Hyderabad highway but took the route from Dodballapur to Chikaballapur road is single road drivable but never realized that there was a Nandi temple beneath the Nandi hills it looks to be a big temple and yesterday there was Jathra in the temple and the crowd was heavy I was caught in the traffic jam and lost about 1.30 hrs.
Old 14th February 2010, 18:00   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
I was driving between Nagamangala to Hyderabad yesterday and wanted to avoid the Banglore city traffic so after Kunigal took a left to Kudur-Dobbaspet-Dodballapur and Chikaballapur and then onwards.Initially the plan was from Dodballapur to Devanahalli and then to Hyderabad highway but took the route from Dodballapur to Chikaballapur road is single road drivable but never realized that there was a Nandi temple beneath the Nandi hills it looks to be a big temple and yesterday there was Jathra in the temple and the crowd was heavy I was caught in the traffic jam and lost about 1.30 hrs.
Wow! I did not realize this option. In most cases one continues on the NH207 to Devenhalli and there on to the NH7. Did not know, that one need not come south to Devenhalli, but continue northwards directly to Chikbellabur!
Old 14th February 2010, 23:07   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I suggest you should try Devarayanadurga next ! Its another classy place. Only catch is that its off Tumkur road. You will need to bear the brunt of construction on this stretch.
Thanks Ampere, How far is Devarayanadurga, Where does this actually come on Tumkur road. What and all are there in this place.

The Tumkur road currently is a bit OK compared to earlier days, so I think this can be managed.
Old 15th February 2010, 06:36   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Thanks Ampere, How far is Devarayanadurga, Where does this actually come on Tumkur road. What and all are there in this place.

The Tumkur road currently is a bit OK compared to earlier days, so I think this can be managed.
You need to go beyond Neelamangala till Dobbaspet. At Dobbaspet, you need to get under the flyover and take a right. The road at left will take you to Shivaganga. At right you will see roads turning at both north-east and south-east directions. The south east road is the NH207 which commences from here and goes through Dodbellapur and Devenhalli.

You need to take the North east road which is a State Highway (SH3). You will see the Karnataka Tourism boards (One State Many Worlds) all along the road. Its there even on Tumkur road before Dobbaspet indicating the diversions for Devarayanadurga/Channarayanadurga.

Once you take this State highway you get pretty much guided by the sign boards.

Now where are you can go?
  • You can drive till Devrayandurga. There are temples and the views are spectacular. Only problem is that you will need to choose between one of them. The temples dont open early and the misty mountain views dont stay late . But the views are worth it. You can plan to be there by 6:30 - 7 if you start by 5-5:30. This place you reach after taking a diversion from the stat e highway.
  • You can also go to Chanrayanadura which has an old fort and Siddarbetta. Both are about 30-40KM ahead on the same road beyond Korategere. Down further you can go to Madhugiri fort and black buck national park. Though I would not advice; as it gets hotter by the day.

You wont get much to eat, except for road side tea stalls. To partially beat the Tumkur road construction, you can take the NICE road if you stay in south Bangalore.

Last edited by ampere : 15th February 2010 at 06:39.
Old 16th February 2010, 22:55   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You need to go beyond Neelamangala till Dobbaspet. .
Thanks a lot Ampere. Will plan sometime to this place. Any idea on the distance from Nelmangala to this place.
Old 7th January 2012, 19:59   #70
Team-BHP Support

The public tamasha that Nandi Hills has now become

One of our favorite ways to spend a weekend was to go to the airport by 2am; spend time at CCD till 5am and then head to Nandi Hills to catch the sunrise.

The last time I went was Feb '10 so I thought it's been time enough for another visit. And boy, I was in for a hugely unpleasant surprise.

We left BIAL at 5am and reach that T-junction from where a right leads to Nandi Hills. Within 500m, there was a HUGE line of cars waiting.

Initially, I thought it was cars pulling up for pics etc. so I overtook them and then realized there was a barricade put up.

What disgusted me was - while waiting for the gates to open, many many cars (DL, KA, TN, AP alike) had youngsters standing outside the cars with doors open and LOUD music blaring out. And worst part, vulgar, vulgar dancing.

All this when the cops were right there!

Anywho, everything apart from that was wonderful. After the recent death of a techie, there are the steel barriers throughout a major part of the periphery; so that's a good move.

However, another thing that disgusts me is how blatantly people smoke out there. Smokers should just find some damn corner and puff away to glory out there rather than ruining the fresh air for everyone else.

All in all, the charm is going away - bit by bit.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 20:11   #71
Team-BHP Support

Re: The public tamasha that Nandi Hills has now become

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
All in all, the charm is going away - bit by bit.

I would recommend to shift the scene of action to Devarayanadurga.
(You can spend the night at Dobbaspet CCD! )

Some snaps which I collated and have already posted.
Have posted the links here again.

Nandi Hills - An early morning drive-img_2436a3.jpg
Nandi Hills - An early morning drive-img_2490a3.jpg

Last edited by Amartya : 31st January 2012 at 23:21. Reason: Re-attached images. Thanks.
Old 14th April 2012, 22:34   #72
BHPian

Re: Nandi Hills - An early morning drive

Warm early morning today started with quite an excitement in the air. Last night we had decided to drive to Nandi hills to view the sun rising over the clouds. We started our drive by 5am from Bangalore and by the time we reached the peak, we were just in time to catch a view of sun rising behind the dense floating clouds. Also found few fellow Bhpian cars parked in the lot.

We parked the car just before the parking lot and decided to walk. Heavy breeze, cloud moving at good pace over the hill, watching Bangalore at a distance was nearly impossible and mind was at peace.

Now comes the most interesting part of the trip. When we returned to our car (Alto Make:2010, Not K10 series), from the window glass I could see our things messed up. Hand bag was opened; every single thing in it was all over inside the car. The wallet was opened, money was lying on the back seat. First thing I checked was the lock which was still in the original state, the locked condition. Then I unlocked the car to find that everything inside was dispersed. Luckily nothing was lost but found foot prints of monkeys inside all over. Seats, windscreen, side panels had mud prints of monkey feet. Found my camera batteries outside the car. No money was lost. What was lost was the box full of snacks. Was in a fix, how could the monkeys have taken the snacks, along with the box, without opening the door!!!

Have you guys experienced something like this? I still cannot figure out how this could happen. Only way I see is, monkeys opened the door and someone seeing the door open, locked it back. Your views are appreciated…

-UB
Old 15th July 2012, 10:41   #73
BHPian

Guys, I read that Nandi hills entry is closed after 6PM. If I get there before 6PM, will I be allowed to stay to watch the sunset?
Till when can one stay at the top of Nandi hills in the evening?
Old 15th July 2012, 19:27   #74
BHPian

As far as I know - No. They don't let you.
But you can stay overnight in Skandagiri.
Old 15th July 2012, 21:07   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Guys, I read that Nandi hills entry is closed after 6PM. If I get there before 6PM, will I be allowed to stay to watch the sunset?
Till when can one stay at the top of Nandi hills in the evening?
You can stay over provided you have a reservation in one of the guest houses @ nandi hills. This booking is usually done at Bangalore.
-R

Most Viewed