Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2009, 07:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Not purposefully done but confusion of route. Instead of by pass entered into town. I asked the people the way to junction and went.
Yes. The Tiruchi by-pass badly needs to be developed with clear signs and road. When are they going to complete it?
Old 12th December 2009, 07:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

It seems that they are not going to complete in the near future.The bridge parallel to Srirangam will take long time. So the diversion there is only a single road. The same thing near that Tanjore junction. At least it seems it will take another year.
Old 12th December 2009, 09:43   #18
BHPian

Navan, nice travelogue,could you please post me the condition of the road from Trichy- Manaparai - Dindigul, what distance and how much time did you take to cover this distance. I am planning for a drive during Pongal and mostly it would be a night drive
Old 12th December 2009, 11:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue. Rameshwaram is in my wish list, have been till only Parmakudi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Navan, nice travelogue,could you please post me the condition of the road from Trichy- Manaparai - Dindigul, what distance and how much time did you take to cover this distance. I am planning for a drive during Pongal and mostly it would be a night drive
Approximately around 100 kms. Certain parts of roads were in bad condition (read not smooth, but not big pothole types), but can maintain 80-100 kmph. Normal driving should take around 1.30 hr. Since the road expansion work is going on, most part would be on a single but wide lanes

Last edited by Surprise : 12th December 2009 at 11:36.
Old 12th December 2009, 15:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi magic,

Surprise is right. It is around 100kms. Almost every now and then you have to take diversion. I mean half portion of the four lanes completed either on the left or right. Manaparai is 40kms. That too we will go by bypass. After that we cross Vaiyyampatti. If you wish you can have tea on the road side tea stall. Then Aiyyalur and Dindigul. Say it took me around 2plus hours. Speed was between 60 and 80.
Old 12th December 2009, 15:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi Surprise,
Thank you for your appreciation. Rameswaram is worth visiting at par of religion. Here is the beautiful Pamban Rail bridge, Indira Gandhi Road bridge across the sea. The sea is quite calm here in front of the temple. Wonderful scenic beauties around here and there in Rameswaram and Danuskodi.
Old 12th December 2009, 15:54   #22
BHPian

Thanks Surprise and Navan Sir, Thanks for the information on the condition of the road. Can this route be taken in for the night drive is it safe?
Old 12th December 2009, 16:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

magic,
It is not a problem of night driving in that road. The traffic is not heavy. I did twice in the early morning at 3.30 am and 4.00 Am. I reached beyond Ulundurpet for break fast at 8.15 0r 8.30. Drive in a moderate speed which you can control in case if there is bright light. Beware that the vehicle going ahead speciallly Trucks and Government buses are not having tail lamp.
Old 12th December 2009, 16:30   #24
BHPian

Oh Sir, that i am very much aware of i just wanted to be sure that no potholes are there. Is there any other route to Trichy from Theni, shorter if possible. What would be the approximate time taken to drive from Theni to Mayiladuturai.
Old 12th December 2009, 17:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

No patholes but lots of curves and bends. The alternative from Theni is Madurai Pudukkotai Tanjore Mayiladuthurai. The road to Madurai from Theni was good and it should be good. From Trichy too you have to go through Tanjore.Distance wise both might be of same or 30 to 40 kms difference.
Old 14th December 2009, 10:58   #26
BHPian

Thank you sir, actually my target is to go to Tranquebar and i was looking out for options of driving in the night and i wanted some nice roads, Thanks for the information on Madurai, i have been to Madurai last month i see that it is good.Please do inform if you have any other suggestions.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:18   #27
BHPian

Navan Sir, Thank you for your travelogue. I am planning to visit Rameswaram on 28-Dec-09. I will be driving from Tuticorin to Rameswaram and back. Can you help to let me know how much time i should account for seeing the Rameswaram temple? I know it depends on the crowd and festive season. I am assuming that I am going on a normal day with no festivals. I wont be taking bath or going to all theerthas. I just want to go to the temple, see the main deity, dip legs in the sea and come back. I am traveling with my one year old son and hence want to understand if it really takes half a day to stand in the queue and see the Lord. We need to plan his supplies accordingly. Thanks for your help
Old 14th December 2009, 12:45   #28
BHPian

Hye Gopi KB, though i have not been to the temples, i have read that there are people to help you out without going through the ques, if it is only the temple half day is more than enough but if it is something more like that of Dhanuskodi visit then one day is required. All the best!
Old 14th December 2009, 13:38   #29
BHPian

Hi Majic, I do agree there are many temples which has priests who can take you inside to the sanctum directly for money. But this is not true with all temples. I have never been to Rameswaram and am not sure about the system there and if there is a special entrance etc. Since Navan Sir has traveled there recently, he should be able to advice correctly on that. With my infant, I cannot afford to take chances.
Old 14th December 2009, 15:32   #30
BHPian

No objections with regard to that but somewhere in the travelogue section i think i had read this is possible at the temple at Rameshwaram, if i remember correctly its a thread belonging to Ramkya sir, please check the travelogue section. I can understand the apprehensions of a father as i too face the same problems on trips with my little one

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks