Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 17:05   #31
BHPian

Thank you Majic. We share the same thoughts. I had gone through few other travelogues of Rameswaram, but did not come across a person explaining the procedures and time taken inside the temple. I will keep digging until Navan Sir or somebody throws some light on this.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:31   #32
BHPian

Ok i think probably if you could post a general question in the forum for routes and maps or better still try getting in touch with H V Kumar he would be able to give you some road info and also at times what you need also.
Old 14th December 2009, 19:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

Nice lots of queries. Pl wait till tomorrow I will give all details with in my limit. To day my broadband went off. That was good too. So I went to CRO BSNL. Who really gave lots of ides. Which I can share in Computer & Gadgets thread later.
Old 15th December 2009, 09:50   #34
BHPian

Navan Sir, Thank you. I am waiting for your update on the temple timings and procedures at Rameswaram
Old 15th December 2009, 10:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

It is nice you reminded me. If you are making your travel in the night reaching early morning you can start your Dharshan from 6am. First you have to have a dip in the sea it is so calm like a lake. With wet clothes you have to enter besides the main temple entrance which leads you to 22 holy water wells.Then after having a bucket of water from each well you can change your clothes after the Kodi theertham. There is a ticket for the holy dip. I believe Rs 25 per head. One man will be allotted for a group to take water from the well and pour on you. You have to pay him at least Rs.25 or 30 per head for his services. After Changing the clothes you can have the Dharshan of ramanatha samy and near by the goddess. It will take you one hour. It depends on your sea bath. The sea inself is called as the agni theertham. Keep it in mind that the temple closes at 1.00Pm. Then they may open at 4 PM. If you start from Madurai better start at 3.00 or 4 am. So you can finish up before 12. You can visit Dhanuskodi and on return you can visit a couple of temples and dip near Ramnad. All are with in a radius of 8 to 16 kms.The guides will approach you. It is not at all necessary as per my view. If you need make it sure net payment later they may ask per head. The priests are good and not like some other temples. After the 15th or sixteenth well you may be asked to give your tickets(Holy dip). So better keep some one who is not taking dip with the tickets and also your changing clothes at the last group of theerthas. If you happen to have in the evening start at 3 from the sea dip and enter at 3.30 for other holy dip. So you can complete the formalities with in five. Let me know from where you start and when you will be at the nearest point(Trichy,Madurai,Tiruchendur) on the previous day. As per your previous days halt I can suggest accordingly. Near by Ramnad Navabashanam Sethukkarai sea shore dip and Tiruppullani a Bishnu temple. Utharakosa mangai are some important temples which you can visit if time permits.

Last edited by navan49 : 15th December 2009 at 10:27.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:27   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Navan Sir, Thank you for your travelogue. I am planning to visit Rameswaram on 28-Dec-09. I will be driving from Tuticorin to Rameswaram and back.
Which route are you taking from Tuticorin to Rameswaram? Is the coastal road via Vembar and Kizhakarai to Ramanathapuram in good condition now?
Old 15th December 2009, 10:52   #37
BHPian

Navan Sir, Thank you for the detailed explanation. As indicated in my post earlier, I am not planning to take bath in the 22 theerthas. I will just dip our legs in the sea, go to the temple to visit the main deity and be back. Since I am traveling with my one year old son, I cant plan the bath in theerthas this time. Thank you informing about the temple closure between 1 and 4PM. I will plan my travel accordingly.

hvkumar, my Dad told me that the east coast road from Tuticorin to Nagapattinam was opened by Dy CM Stalin on 19-Nov-09 and this road provides very good connectivity along the coast from Tuticorin all the way to Chennai now. I guess you are taking about the same coastal road. The road it seems is excellent and the 200km drive from Tuticorin to Rameswaram can be completed in 2 and 1/2 hours. I will post my experience after completing the trip
Old 16th December 2009, 00:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gobikb,

As you are having a baby it is not possible to bath in all. If no bath it is such a wonderful temple that you can finish the Dharshan in half an hour. I was also told about the Tuticorin Rameswaram road. I did not hear it will be done in 2.5Hrs. But the road is a road of scenic beauty. Keep minimum at least 5 hours for Rameswaram - Tuticorin.
Old 16th December 2009, 06:42   #39
BHPian

Are there any hotels in Rameswaram after one crosses the road bridge over the sea?
Old 16th December 2009, 08:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Just to put the geography in correct perspective,
40 kms from Ramanathapuram is Mandapam.
Mandapam has TTDC's Hotel Tamil Nadu
After Mandapam, you cross the Sea Bridge into Rameswaram Island.
It is 18 kms from Mandapam to Ramewaram.
The Ramanathaswamy Temple is in Rameswaram, and the town is full of hotels, including one more Hotel Tamil Nadu.
If you go 20 kms more in Rameswaram Island, you will reach land's end at Dhanushkodi, which overlooks the Palk Straits that narrowly separate India and Sri Lanka.
Old 16th December 2009, 16:56   #41
BHPian

Navan Sir, what is the time that was taken for you to reach Theni from Chennai, what are the current road conditions?
Old 16th December 2009, 18:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hi canon Guy,

Our HVK has given all the details of your queries. Apart from TTDC hotels, there are many hotels you can see and occupy as per the comfort of yours.. It is not much crowded now a days. Mostly people maka Madurai as base and visit and come.
Old 16th December 2009, 18:04   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hi Magic,

Chennai to Dindigul I travelled this trip. I started at 4.00am sharp and reached Trichy at 8.00 AM. From Trichy it took 1.45 hours. So say 6 to 7 hours to Dindigul. Beyond Dindigul may be 2 hours you can add up. Your tidious drive will be upto ourtskirts of Trichy. From Trichy you won't feel you are driving. Are you planning to Chennai too. If so let me know, Check the PM.
Old 16th December 2009, 19:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

Dindigul to Theni comes close to 80 kms with travel time of around 1.5 hrs.. Dindigul-Sembati-Bathalagundu-Periyakulam-Theni... Smooth single lane roads
Old 16th December 2009, 19:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

Thank you surprise. It is an accurate answer to Magic. I was not sure of the distance. I had been on the Madurai Theni route to (Bodi Bodimettu Munnar) Tekkady.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks