Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:49   #91
Senior - BHPian

navan honestly you gotto post some more pics.Did you visit Dhanushkodi at all ? I am planning on a drive sometime soon to Dhanushkodi and would like to know if the Scorp' can be taken to lands end ?
Old 3rd February 2010, 00:00   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
navan honestly you gotto post some more pics.Did you visit Dhanushkodi at all ? I am planning on a drive sometime soon to Dhanushkodi and would like to know if the Scorp' can be taken to lands end ?
Doubtful, there is a check post 17 kms from Rameswaram town, after which private vehicles are not allowed. You have to share a seat (or roof!) in a Mahindra 4WD tempo which will go further 3-5 kms depending on tide to the location of the old Dhanushkodi Railway Station (which was swept away in the '60s cyclone) and thereabouts. Even if you wrangle some permission (doubtful), I would not recommend you go yourself since the terrain can be sandy in parts and the tidal flows can be dangerous and unless you know the tide timings, you may even be stranded midstream.
Old 4th February 2010, 00:25   #93
Senior - BHPian

Couple of Pictures from Madurai. The Ganesh is inside Meenakshi Temple and the tower is the Northern gate inner circle tower.
Attached Thumbnails
Journey To Dindigul, Madurai And Rameswaram-ganesh-mdu-copy.jpg  

Journey To Dindigul, Madurai And Rameswaram-tower.jpg  

Last edited by navan49 : 4th February 2010 at 00:26.
Old 4th February 2010, 00:43   #94
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Good one that of Mukkuruni Vinayagar there. Is that Sandalwood paste on him in the photo? I spent good time in Minakshi temple too on 8th Jan. Will be putting those up when I come to that part of my travelogue. I'm still in Sringeri as of now!
Old 4th February 2010, 01:10   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Good one that of Mukkuruni Vinayagar there. Is that Sandalwood paste on him in the photo? I spent good time in Minakshi temple too on 8th Jan. Will be putting those up when I come to that part of my travelogue. I'm still in Sringeri as of now!
He is covered with the Vipoothi. The scented ashes of the dry cow dung in fine powder form.
Old 4th February 2010, 19:15   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Doubtful, there is a check post 17 kms from Rameswaram town, after which private vehicles are not allowed. You have to share a seat (or roof!) in a Mahindra 4WD tempo which will go further 3-5 kms depending on tide to the location of the old Dhanushkodi Railway Station (which was swept away in the '60s cyclone) and thereabouts. Even if you wrangle some permission (doubtful), I would not recommend you go yourself since the terrain can be sandy in parts and the tidal fWDlows can be dangerous and unless you know the tide timings, you may even be stranded midstream.
I believe you can take your vehicle. But if you are a novice with 4WD would suggest that you hire a private jeep in Rameshwaram by contacting your hotel or hire a guide to help you with the path when you are taking your scorp. That way you have the jeep for your exclusive use when compared to Mahindra 4WD. I had hired a jeep from Rameshwaram last August.
Old 4th July 2010, 21:42   #97
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends,

The Trichy Madurai Road is through. Now the drive is fantastic from Chennai Madurai with heavy toll fee which may be around 250. But beware, the people from the villages between Madurai and Trichy come on the opposite direction.The Trichy divesions are dis appeared. But if you want to Go to Trichy town take turn on the left hand side from the main road. If you miss you have to take around 10 to 15kms and to turn right.There is a new restaurent near Ulundurpet check post seems good. But I could not get a cup of cofee when I reached there at around 6 Am.
Old 5th July 2010, 19:51   #98
Senior - BHPian

I am moving towards Dindigul. Probably I might go to Madurai. The road condition and the new development on the Trichy - Dindigul road and Dindigul - Madurai road will be posted after my return from Madurai.
Old 5th July 2010, 20:07   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
I am moving towards Dindigul. Probably I might go to Madurai. The road condition and the new development on the Trichy - Dindigul road and Dindigul - Madurai road will be posted after my return from Madurai.
Good updates. Ya, I am looking for the developments from Dindigul to Madurai. Also the toll charges if they started.
Old 5th July 2010, 20:13   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Good updates. Ya, I am looking for the developments from Dindigul to Madurai. Also the toll charges if they started.
They started the toll. I believe that it is near Vadipatti. There is a good restaurant (Temple City) near Madurai on Dindigul- Madurai Road. Same restaurant is functioning in Trichy and Madurai Road near Othakadai link Road.Still the bridge near Paravai was not completed. Now it is the only development to be observed.
Old 5th July 2010, 20:20   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
They started the toll. I believe that it is near Vadipatti. There is a good restaurant (Temple City) near Madurai on Dindigul- Madurai Road. Same restaurant is functioning in Trichy and Madurai Road near Othakadai link Road.Still the bridge near Paravai was not completed. Now it is the only development to be observed.
Just curious. Why do you take the Dindigul - Madurai route from tiruchy? Why not the NH45B, the Viralimalai, Melur route?
Old 5th July 2010, 22:14   #102
BHPian

Madurai, Tirumangalam bye-pass

Here is a GPS recording of the new superb 4-lane road bye-passing Madurai and Tirumangalam. Those coming from Dindugal to Virudunagar can avoid messy Madurai.

I did the recording with my Nokia 5230 with a free app called 'gpsmid' (took ideas from another thread on gps). Then exported/imported the gpx file into google-map/google-earth.

I have also attached the gpx file.
Attached Thumbnails
Journey To Dindigul, Madurai And Rameswaram-shot.png  

Journey To Dindigul, Madurai And Rameswaram-mdu_byepass.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: gpx mdu_byepass.gpx (99.3 KB, 443 views)
Old 7th July 2010, 22:17   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Just curious. Why do you take the Dindigul - Madurai route from tiruchy? Why not the NH45B, the Viralimalai, Melur route?
Hi Jothi,

I had work in Dindigul. So I take 45A.I will give an another travelogue on this section 950 kms in 24 hours with job and pilgrimage to Madurai via Dindigul.It will combine all the details of the toll etc. Wait for a couple of days to complete my tight schedule of pending jobs.
Old 7th July 2010, 23:07   #104
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Here is a GPS recording of the new superb 4-lane road bye-passing Madurai and Tirumangalam. Those coming from Dindugal to Virudunagar can avoid messy Madurai.

I did the recording with my Nokia 5230 with a free app called 'gpsmid' (took ideas from another thread on gps). Then exported/imported the gpx file into google-map/google-earth.

I have also attached the gpx file.
It's new? I thought this was the route I took durng my drive in first week of Jan 2010. Yes. This definitely was the route I took from Karur - Dindigul - Virudhunagar - Tirunelveli. 4 lane highway.
Old 10th July 2010, 23:18   #105
Senior - BHPian

972 KMS solo driving in 24 Hours.

On 6th July early morning at 3.45 I started from Chennai. Reached Chingleput toll at 4.30 and crossed the toll after paying Rs 20 and reached Athur toll and paid 20. Later reached vikkiravandi at 5.18 on payment of Rs51. Next Sengurichi at 6.05 on payment of 35 and Thirumandurai at 6.53 on payment of 35 again .Then came to Samayapuram tollat 7.53 on payment of Rs 25. Had breakfast in Trichy New sangeetha and now a days some what inconvenient due to their maitenance work. Reached Dindigul at 10 Am and I finished my official work and started at 12.30 and crossed Sholavandan Check post at 1.55 on pay ment of 37. So till Madurai via Dindigul the toll is Rs 223. Trichy Dindigul road condition is poor. You are restricted to enter through Samayanallur Paravali road and I was told to go further and take right by the cop in Samayanallur junction road. I went on the Tirumangalam High way for 3 to 4 kms and took left and via Thuvariman reached Kochadai and Kalavasal. We had visited Meenakshi temple and Teppakulam and stared back at 6 Pm from Madurai, The return fare direct to Madurai toll altogether it came around 281. A difference of 58 Rs over all. Return journey experience in next post to morrow.

Most Viewed