Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2010, 18:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
You are just lucky count your stars, Had it bitten you you would have definitly died as you were far from civilisation, most of the calls that i have seen where a rusells Viper is involved people think its a baby python. And get bitten while trying to catch it, a rusells viper is undoutedly the top rank holder in the maximum snake bite deaths that happen in Asia.
Pramod
Pramod,
Yes, the place was definitely very far from medical help. Like you said, I too thought it was a harmless baby python who would just give me a nasty bite at the most and then I would take control of it. How wrong I was on all counts, the markings, colour, body shape is all so similar. The way the viper coiled and took an offensive stance before it lunged at me, my first thought "man baby pythons... too are this fast??"
Lucky me.
I also admire how well informed and knowledgeable T-BHP guys are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
I have driven once to Srisailam though and always wondered how the jungle would be like. Have not done like that ever.
Truly Interesting. This is the third time I am coming back to view the thread. Reminds me of Tintin Flight 714
More photos please.
btirthankar,
The jungle is too vast and every place is so different and so full of surprises, that one only wants to come again and again like we have been doing since 17 years. Every month we make it out atleast once or twice to this place.
The pangs only grow. Also check other 4 threads I have done on Srisailam.
Regards,
Old 25th January 2010, 18:39   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
LonelyPlanet,
Take Shamshabad airport road, and head towards the main airport terminal,
on the main cross you will see a pointer read SRISAILAM with an arrow, take that road and you will straight reach the lords abode.
The main problem starts when you reach there and not the journey to there, make sure you take along some friends who have been there previously, if not... friends who you can depend upon (as a team).
If you have not ventured into the forest before DON'T TRY to do it in your first go. We have been visiting this forest for the last 18 years very frequently but still feel like insects once in it, it is huge(3 558 KM2), it is unpredictable and dangerous.
Regards,
Any chance I can accompany you on your future escapades to this area ?
Old 25th January 2010, 19:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Any chance I can accompany you on your future escapades to this area ?
Lonely planet,
Sure!
Please PM me our mobile number and lets meet up before our trip to Srisailam which could be a little late this time as we are heading to Tadoba and Pench tiger reserves first week of Feb.
Regards,
Old 25th January 2010, 20:24   #34
BHPian

Fazal Saab, I have been keenly following your travelogues. I will be waiting for your travelogue on Tadoba & Pench Keenly.
Old 27th January 2010, 10:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srimath View Post
Fazal Saab, I have been keenly following your travelogues. I will be waiting for your travelogue on Tadoba & Pench Keenly.
Srimath,
Thank you very much for you interest in my travelogues. Be certain I will not let you down on Tadoba and Pench.
Regards,
Old 26th November 2010, 13:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

Really very interesting place and nice photographs. There are so many such treasure troves hidden in our country. Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I couldn't resist myself appreciating it.
BTW, would like to know more about how to get there by boat. Would that be an easier route to reach? Any more details would be appreciated.
Old 26th November 2010, 19:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Really very interesting place and nice photographs. There are so many such treasure troves hidden in our country. Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I couldn't resist myself appreciating it.
BTW, would like to know more about how to get there by boat. Would that be an easier route to reach? Any more details would be appreciated.
kaushik,
Thanks for the appreciation.
You are right about our country and its treasures, believe me it will take atleast 10 years to claim " I have seen India" that to if one travels a lot into the interiors...thats where lies the raw beauty of our country.

The easy way to there is by boat which leaves from Srisailam temple town, ask anyone where Patala Ganga is and they will guide you, everyday 3-4 trips from there to the Akkamahadevi caves. Though I have never been here by boat , imagine how tempting it was to take a boat back, than to climb up the treacherous incline and trek 10 kms again.
Regards,
Old 29th November 2010, 09:20   #38
BHPian

The river pic is just beautiful.. A nice treat after trekking miles.
Old 11th January 2011, 12:40   #39
BHPian

Re: Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.

Dear Fazal,

I am planning to trek to the Akka Mahadevi Temple with a couple of friends.

As the trek will take one day, which is the best place to stay overnight? Do I have to go all the way to Srisailam town to get accomodation or would Mannanur be an ideal spot?

It would be also be nice if you could share the point on the highway as to from where the trek starts?

Regards, Ram
Old 11th January 2011, 21:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeggina View Post
Dear Fazal,
I am planning to trek to the Akka Mahadevi Temple with a couple of friends.
Dear Ram,
I am sorry for this late reply, as I had not seen your post.
Make a night halt at Mannanur, after breakfast head in the direction Srisialam-cross Farahabad (tiger statue)-continue until you reach Vatvarlapally-pick up water and snacks-continue onwards for about 5-6 kms-on your right you will see a light blue colour board with a saffron clothed sadhu on it and Akka Mahadevi written on it, right there is the entry to this trek.
Stick to the main path which will directly lead you there.
All the best, post photographs.
Regards,
Old 11th January 2011, 22:11   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Lonely planet,
Sure!
Please PM me our mobile number and lets meet up before our trip to Srisailam which could be a little late this time as we are heading to Tadoba and Pench tiger reserves first week of Feb.
Regards,

I thought of giving you a call stratghtaway after reading this post but then did a double take when I saw that this was dated Jan 2010

However I am still hoping to see you soon in Pench this year.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 12th January 2011, 12:53   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
However I am still hoping to see you soon in Pench this year.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

Dear Dr Ghosh
I have been following your posts closely and will surely be planning the Pench/ Tadoba sometime. I stayed/ studied in Nagpur when I was a kid so that added attraction of going back.
Regards
LonelyPlanet

Most Viewed