Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.

It was 19th Dec 09. This time we decided to take a trek to Akka Mahadevi temple which is 10 kilometers from the main highway followed by a steep descent of 1 kilometers on a 45 degree gradient.
Ramesh is and always was a natural athlete, Devidas keeps himself fit by daily tread milling, and all in a gym. Me...smoker, arthritic knees and not used to walks was constantly supported by the two, especially on the way back.
The pilgrims journey path was mix of loose cobble stone, rock, sheet rock, all the way very very treacherous. Why would anyone build a temple where you need to go through this ordeal, was on my mind all through.
Two bottles of water is all we had....yes Vijay decided to stay back at the base camp on the forest highway and do his breathing Asana's in the Scorpio. After trekking about 6 kilometers we could hear axe against wood geting louder in the dead silence of the forest, as we proceeded we encountered 4 men axing a teak tree about 15 feet tall, we called out they ran with their axes into the forest and disappeared, we went ahead to inspect the damage and were shocked to see 6 feet and 7 feet logs dressed up which were 9X9 inch thick. And they say there is no tree felling or smuggling in this forest under the vigilant eye of the department. Photographed it and sent it to a Urdu daily when we reached Hyderabad the same night by 12 am. The English dailies had some reason for not printing the same but the Urdu daily was out with the news and the photographs the next morning.
We proceeded to the edge of the hill and were in deep thought...getting down there???? a drop of about 600 feet...but climbing up again and walking back to the base camp again 10 kilometers???
We went ahead and were immensely rewarded by the awe inspiring sights of nature... the river Krishna snaking its way through the Nallamalla hills like the Amazon and a breath taking 150 feet long and 30+ foot high and 25 feet thick (top) stone arch which was carved out by the natural elements more than a billion years ago.
The temple also was a level above it and the sadhus who gave us a jug of water, all that we could consume on the way back (as we had consumed the two liters on the way to this place). Climbing back up after photographing what we could...I was half way dead on the way back uphill, Ramesh was my companion as Devidas went to the top much ahead, after 5 halts I too reached there. Ramesh started to lead and now Devidas was my companion all through the 10 kilometer trek back to base. The fact of being accompanied by the two, who are with me for 30+ years was faith enough to keep me going.
My thigh were cramping due to dehydration and knees were killing me, rested and halted numerous times messaging my fatigued muscles and catching breath but could not afford to rest much as the sun was about to set in 30 minutes and the wild bears are most dangerous here and worse was the walking path surface, if the sun had set we could not take 5 steps without falling due to the very very uneven stony path and the random incline.
About half a kilometer from the base camp we saw Ramesh coming back to us with water and biscuits, what a relief, what a relief! On our way we also saw a 6 foot python crossing out path. We just managed to reach before sundown
We were again with Vijay who was wild at us like a bull in a matador ring, for he was a wreck imagining the worst, what had happened to us for about 5 hours.
The level at the base camp was 2 180 feet above sea level and the temple was at exactly 1 080 feet (courtesy, Devidas's watch which has a altimeter) a 1100 feet descent and accent we pulled off plus a up and down 20 km trek.
It was a memorable and bonding trek indeed.
Regards,

Start of the long march.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-1.jpg
and continuing further down.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-2.jpg
Fresh cut teak tree.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-3.jpg
Dressed teak.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-4.jpg
Sheet rock on the way.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-5.jpg
At the start of the 1 km descent.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-6.jpg
View from there, notice Devidas in front.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-7.jpg
The 45 degree slope.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-8.jpg
Somewhere midway.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-9.jpg
River Krishna from midway.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-10.jpg
Ramesh, still a lot to go.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-11.jpg
Even athletes rest here.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-12.jpg
And me too. just before the temple.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-13.jpg
Akka Mahadevi Temple.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-14.jpg
The awesome stone archway.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-15.jpg
Under the archway.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-16.jpg
Photographing it.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-17.jpg
My camera ran out of storage space.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-18.jpg
Lower temple in the backdrop.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-19.jpg
Back on the 10k trek after climbing ascending 600 feet, yes that's me.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-20.jpg
Notice the rough path and the incline.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-21.jpg
Devidas correcting his shoes.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-22.jpg
The python encounter.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-23.jpg
Not far from sundown when we were a kilometer from camp.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-24.jpg
Vijay doing his Asana's before we left at the forest highway.
Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.-25.jpg

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 23rd December 2009 at 14:44.
fazalaliadil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:48   #2
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Fazal isn't it a bit risky to trek into that forest so?

The area around Akka Mahadevi is spectacular. I've been there twice in a boat. Never saw a more pristine untouched countryside around Hyderabad as you get to see here

BTW did you guys go into the cave? Its way too cramped. Deep inside you can only slither sideways. Can freak someone who gets claustrophobic

Last edited by DKG : 23rd December 2009 at 14:50.
Old 23rd December 2009, 15:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Fazal isn't it a bit risky to trek into that forest so?

The area around Akka Mahadevi is spectacular. I've been there twice in a boat. Never saw a more pristine untouched countryside around Hyderabad as you get to see here

BTW did you guys go into the cave? Its way too cramped. Deep inside you can only slither sideways. Can freak someone who gets claustrophobic
DKG,
I remember seeing the pics of temple on your thread.
Yes it is risky, but it is worth it. The caves are not only cramped but also smell of bat refuse right at the entrance and Devidas is claustrophobic and passed on the feeling to us too.
Did you see the teak pics?
There is so much to explore here that it will take a life time and you don't need to go anywhere
Regards,
Old 23rd December 2009, 15:37   #4
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
There is so much to explore here that it will take a life time and you don't need to go anywhere
I totally agree. That place is divine, and you have 3500 square kms of it !!

Fazal lets get this formalised through the forest department. Eco tourism is a viable way to protect the forests. Just imagine if more safaris are organised in a manner which does not disturb wildlife with such activity this kind of clandestine poaching/logging will automatically diminish

I am totally in love with Srisailam. I would love to explore the place. But I want to do this officially

Even if they charge per head and allow visitors that's huge money for conservation efforts. Not to mention the cottages running full and revenue through that too

BTW there's a gorgeous cave temple called Saleshwaram. Need to visit that and Ishtakameshwari

Last edited by DKG : 23rd December 2009 at 15:38.
Old 23rd December 2009, 15:53   #5
BHPian

Place looks awesome. How do i get there ? Driving directions please.
Old 23rd December 2009, 16:30   #6
BHPian

Wonderul travelogue, wow i am really surprised with your physical condition of a painful knees you were able to make it up the steep climb. Enjoyed the pictures and narration. Wishing you lot more in the future.
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Lovely Pictures Fazal sir, especially of the Krishna river snaking its way between the hills. The stone archway also looks awesome.

Speaking of snakes, the snake in your picture does not look like a python. It looks more a like a very big Russel's Viper. Looks like you guys had a close encounter.

btw, I'm surprised that the tree fellers have felled a very young teak tree. That too on a temple trail where people frequent. I hope the authorities take action soon.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 23rd December 2009 at 17:17.
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! Fazal Sir, you are at it again!
Amazing pictures as always of your trek, that snake encounter was close.
Hats off for pulling off the 22km long trek that too in the treacherous forest terrain.
Nallamalla forest looks too pristine.
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:36   #9
BHPian

Fazal sir, what can I say about the pictures. I am speechless! It is really sad to see out forest wealth is getting stolen. I donot know when our governments will awake and save the remaining forest cover in that area.
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:39   #10

Srisialam

Quote:

Fazal lets get this formalised through the forest department. Eco tourism is a viable way to protect the forests. Just imagine if more safaris are organised in a manner which does not disturb wildlife with such activity this kind of clandestine poaching/logging will automatically diminish

I am totally in love with Srisailam. I would love to explore the place. But I want to do this officially

Even if they charge per head and allow visitors that's huge money for conservation efforts. Not to mention the cottages running full and revenue through that too

BTW there's a gorgeous cave temple called Saleshwaram. Need to visit that and Ishtakameshwari
I had this rare oppurtunity to go to Saleshwaram 2 months ago ( i didnt go exactly to the temple) but the track till Rangapur and further, plus Appapur.i am in love with the magaical beauty of Nallamala forests, there is a more picturesque viewpoint than farhabad one, which i keep missing, its somewhere on tha appapur track, i hope on my next visit i shall rediscover it. I have quite a number of NSTR trip pics which i soon would try to upload, including my recent trip to Bandipur where i had the rare privilege of dawn to dusk access inside the park and i was lucky enough to see a Panther( a video clip of it) would soon be posted on travelogue.
Old 23rd December 2009, 19:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

DKG,
I am game for anything and everything for this place.
The forest dept. should reciprocate our efforts instead of blocking.
There is tremendous scope for eco-tourism which can only help the forest and its wildlife. I am looking forward to being there with you someday soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Fazal sir, what can I say about the pictures. I am speechless! It is really sad to see out forest wealth is getting stolen. I donot know when our governments will awake and save the remaining forest cover in that area.
venki,
These pictures represent a very very small component of the place called Srisailam. Plundering of its wealth has been going on for decades and still continues, sad part is that it is irreversible at this stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Lovely Pictures Fazal sir, especially of the Krishna river snaking its way between the hills. The stone archway also looks awesome.

Speaking of snakes, the snake in your picture does not look like a python. It looks more a like a very big Russel's Viper. Looks like you guys had a close encounter.

btw, I'm surprised that the tree fellers have felled a very young teak tree. That too on a temple trail where people frequent. I hope the authorities take action soon.
addy,
If that is a Russels Viper like you say, then I had a close close shave and should consider it as my second life. I picked it by the tail thinking it is a non-venomous python, but its lightning, ferocious attack made me give up the idea of any further adventure.
Thank you all for your appreciation.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2009, 20:38   #12
BHPian

Indeed you have got a second life. The one you came across was a Russel's viper and not a python. Great pics and trek. Take care. Snakes are not what they look. Dangerous creatures.
Old 24th December 2009, 10:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
Indeed you have got a second life. The one you came across was a Russel's viper and not a python. Great pics and trek. Take care. Snakes are not what they look. Dangerous creatures.
Torque123,
Thanks, Yes I now realize, it was divine intervention that saved me otherwise help was (Hyderabad) 200 kilometers and 4 hours away from the snake encounter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev D View Post
i was lucky enough to see a Panther( a video clip of it) would soon be posted on travelogue.
Dev,
It is a beautiful video clip of the panther in Bandipur, hope you share it soon for all to see in your Bandipur Travelogue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Wow!! Fazal Sir, you are at it again!
Amazing pictures as always of your trek, that snake encounter was close.
Hats off for pulling off the 22km long trek that too in the treacherous forest terrain.
Nallamalla forest looks too pristine.
Fordmanchau,
Yes, it was very gruelling while we were at it, but now the feeling of "have done it" is exhilarating, I plan to do it again but this time after some training.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Wonderul travelogue, wow i am really surprised with your physical condition of a painful knees you were able to make it up the steep climb. Enjoyed the pictures and narration. Wishing you lot more in the future.
Majic,
Thank you very much for your good wishes, I need them! And will be updating all you guys on the forum of "The beauty of the Nallamalla".

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Place looks awesome. How do i get there ? Driving directions please.
LonelyPlanet,
Take Shamshabad airport road, and head towards the main airport terminal,
on the main cross you will see a pointer read SRISAILAM with an arrow, take that road and you will straight reach the lords abode.
The main problem starts when you reach there and not the journey to there, make sure you take along some friends who have been there previously, if not... friends who you can depend upon (as a team).
If you have not ventured into the forest before DON'T TRY to do it in your first go. We have been visiting this forest for the last 18 years very frequently but still feel like insects once in it, it is huge(3 558 KM2), it is unpredictable and dangerous.
Regards,
Old 24th December 2009, 11:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
addy,
If that is a Russels Viper like you say, then I had a close close shave and should consider it as my second life. I picked it by the tail thinking it is a non-venomous python, but its lightning, ferocious attack made me give up the idea of any further adventure.
Thank you all for your appreciation.
Regards,
You picked it up, OMG. That too without knowing it was a Russell's Viper. You have definitely got a second life. I was earlier shocked that you came near this snake thinking it to be a python, but reading that you picked it up definitely shook me. A snake of that length (as seen in the pic) could have easily bitten you. This is one of the fastest strikers in the snake world.

Even a python could have given you a very bad bite. Although not life threatening, it could have scarred your arms or legs for life.
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2009, 11:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
You picked it up, OMG. That too without knowing it was a Russell's Viper. You have definitely got a second life. I was earlier shocked that you came near this snake thinking it to be a python, but reading that you picked it up definitely shook me. A snake of that length (as seen in the pic) could have easily bitten you. This is one of the fastest strikers in the snake world.

Even a python could have given you a very bad bite. Although not life threatening, it could have scarred your arms or legs for life.
addy,
You think had I known it is a Russel's Viper, I would have picked it up???
Thought it was a small python, whose bit would hurt but still be non-venomous, I took my chance and gave up further plans the moment I saw its lightning fast reaction. No doubt... like you mention it to be the fastest striker.
Thank god for it. Next time even if I encounter a one foot python I will keep my distance.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks