Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2005, 19:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

1 Weekend - 800 KMS - 1 Person - 2 Fiats

I did this trip during the August 13th – 15th long weekend. The plan is to drive my Palio D to my Hometown Rajahmundry which is 400 KMS away from Hyderabad. It was due for a very long time and I and my wife were waiting for this day. Unfortunately my wife has to leave a week early and return back a week later than me. So I did it alone.

On the night before the drive, when returning home after filling the Diesel, some 2-wheeler **** hit my right side rear-view mirror and broke the glass. It sounded like a bad omen during before starting the trip itself but the better half of my heart was not willing to take it.

I started on 12th morning at 5:00 AM. I started early to avoid the city traffic and get on to the highways ASAP. The outskirts were behind me in less than half an hour. I took the road towards Vijayawada. This is a 4 lanes road with a median. I was flying on this stretch, overtaking every other vehicle. After 30 KMS, the 4 – lanes became 2 lanes and the road turned from very good to Ok. Just before I quit the 4 lane road, I overtook a brand new Indica and a Maruti 800. Once on to the 2 lane road, I slowed down because traffic from the opposite side is crowded with trucks and buses trying to beat the time limit to enter the city limits.

The Indica and Maruti 800 which I overtook earlier were right behind me by now. And even they managed to pass me when I slowed down behind a truck. May be the new Indica guy is trying to keep it cool, he gave up after a while. The Maruti guy kept me stressed for the next 1.5 hours. He was continuously doing 100. And also he was doing some silly maneuvers to overtake me whenever I slowed down behind a truck. I could make him a distant object in my rearview mirror when going more than 100 KMPH. After 1.5 hrs and 100 KMS of racing we reached Suryapet.

At this point I have to decide whether to go towards Vijayawada (170 KMS from Suryapet) and join the NH5 to Rajahmundry (Another 190 KMS). This road has 4 lanes after another 60 – 70 KMS drive but the traffic is very heavy and the cyclist, pedestrians, two-wheels etc are known to be unruly on 4 lanes roads having a median). The other choice was to go towards Khammam and continue to Rajahmundry. I had no idea about the road and the distance. I heard the 2 lane roads are very good and the distance is some 80 KMS less than the former. I opted for the second choice and I never regretted that.

Till Khammam (60 KMS), the road was ok, me doing 80 – 100 KM/Hr. I missed the bi-pass and entered Khammam town. After few enquiries and a bargain to offer a lift, I was back on the Bi-pass. I was amazed by the roads from here. The 2 lane roads were having long straights, very smooth and very less traffic. Even the pedestrians, cyclists etc near the village were well mannered. Though there were few huge potholes in between, I was having a very good time. I was doing 120 – 140 KMS/Hr (Car speedo) on these stretches. I even managed 150 at some point. The Palio was rock solid at these speeds and felt like it can do more. After 150 KMS of nirvana, I entered the last leg of the drive. I have to join the Eluru – Rajahmundry road. My destination is 35 KMS from here. The road was just opposite to what I just passed a few minutes ago. More of potholes and less of road.

After reaching Kovvur, I have to pass the Godavari bridge to reach my town. This is road cum Rail Bridge and is one of the longest in Asia. The length is 3.5 KMS and connects East and West Godavari districts. Unfortunately this bridge is closed for repairs and I have to take a detour. This added another 30 KMS and 45 minutes. Otherwise my home is just another 15 mins from this side of the bridge.

Some pictures of the Godavari Bridge

Once I reached home, everybody was surprised. I know they were thinking me insane, driving alone for 400 KMS. Total I covered 435 KMS in 6:45 hours.

The return journey was on August 15th. Started at 8:30 AM. The difference is this time I am driving my Dad’s Siena 1.2 (new model). I drove it to Hyderabad to get some small issues fixed and put an LPG kit. The return journey has a dead line. My cousin is flying to US on the same day and he checks in at 3:30 PM. I have to reach Hyd by then.

I choose the same route. I was not in the same mood as I was three days ago. The car is taking its own time to reach 100. Every time I have to overtake a truck, I have to shift to 3rd gear. I felt the 4th gear in 1.2 pretty useless to get sudden boost whereas Palio D can manage it even without downshift. The top speed was 120 KMPH. By now the Godavari Bridge was opened for traffic though there are no signs of any repairs. After reaching Hyderabad, I directly drove to airport. I covered 385 KMS in 6:45 minutes. I reached the airport by 3:15 PM and my cousin has not yet reached the airport.

I enjoyed every minute of this trip and there were no signs of bad omens. My wife is very sad for missing this trip. She was unsure whether I want to do such a lengthy trip again. But I want to do this once or twice every year.

For this journey, I made a few rules for myself.

Always wear the seat belt.
No silly maneuvers
No changing CD when driving.
Slow down when passing towns and villages.
No races (Which I had to disobey for a while).

I prescribe every petrol head and diesel head one long drive every year.

Last edited by satish_appasani : 24th August 2005 at 19:43.
satish_appasani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2005, 21:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice description. But a question. What did you mean by new model of the Fiat Siena 1.2?
Old 24th August 2005, 21:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Nice description. But a question. What did you mean by new model of the Fiat Siena 1.2?
I guess, it means face lifted new Sienna.
Old 25th August 2005, 12:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Cool description.

I agree with the fact that 4th gear in 1.2 is pretty bad. I seldom remember down-shifting from 5 to 4 in my palio 1.2. It is almost always 5-3-4-5.
Old 25th August 2005, 13:45   #5
BHPian

Great man...seems you had a lovely ride

I also drove Hyd-Bangalore-Hyd over the long weekend.. in my new Siena 1.6 ELX

I started at 6:00 am in the morning & reached Yelenka by 2:30 pm...But from Yelenka to reach JP Nagar Phase 9...was a PAIN !!!!!
Took me almost a hr & 30 min..in the city

Bangalore roads now a days are fillers between Potholes...I found it more convenient to park my car at my friends place & move around the city in a borrowed bike !!!

On the return journey back...had a scary experience..Some kms away from Ananthpur..It was raining & was quite windy...I was doing around 100 kmph & a truck passed me from the opp side of the road....at a high speed
The car wobbled !!! for a sec or so...I was quite surprised...!!

Any clues why it wobbled ??
paharino1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2005, 13:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

RX, thanks that clears it up.

Pharino, you got into what would be called a slipstream. The truck being bigger and moving fast wouldhave created a kind of churn in the air behind it, which is what casued your car to wobble.
Old 25th August 2005, 21:02   #7
BHPian

great description s_a...u've gotta be careful on those long drives to make sure no idiot pushes you to make rash overtaking moves. though i love driving fast - i never make a dangerous overtaking manouvre - even though the guy trying to outrace me is doing so to go ahead...he won't live long!

and yes - at those speeds, you've got the right rules - most importantly concentrate, concentrate and concentrate!
Old 25th August 2005, 22:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice post. What else did you find different between Palio and Sienna. Ride quality, FE, noise.
Old 26th August 2005, 11:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess, it means face lifted new Sienna
Yes thats right

Thanks cream. Yes, I was concentrating alot. I still remember almost every curve enroute. I remember some silly drivers who allowed me to overtake, but they don't slow down. This takes more than required time for the whole process. Not an issue for the Palio but for Siena. Couple of time I have to give up midway because it is too late and there is some oncoming traffic. Are we not supposed to slow down when allowing others to overtake?

Mpower: The Siena had a very bad wheel alignment problem. Otherwise I felt it has better handling compared to Palio D. The heavier engine might be the problem. Ride, I felt both are similar. Anyway, I am not that good at car dynamics.
I noticed the FE in Siena 1.2 is much better on long drives. But I was pushing Palio upto 140 - 150. Palio is noisy having a Diesel mill. Siena is very silent.
Old 26th August 2005, 17:04   #10
BHPian

Thanks for the nice update. Gives me confidence for choosing Petra 1.6 ELX. Waiting for Monday
Old 26th August 2005, 18:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingmepal
Thanks for the nice update. Gives me confidence for choosing Petra 1.6 ELX. Waiting for Monday
Which colour? And any bells and whistles you are adding?
Old 27th August 2005, 00:14   #12
BHPian

hey pingmepal, congrats on the new buy - u won't regret it...just ask typeOnegative

wow, s_a, u really pushed the palio d didn't you? i mean 150kmph! on twisty roads that too - all i've had the guts to do was 130 in mine

how did the palio d fare at that speeds - any special notes to be taken down?
Old 27th August 2005, 11:17   #13
Team-BHP Support

Great report man, you must have had a wonderful experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
The Maruti guy kept me stressed for the next 1.5 hours. He was continuously doing 100. And also he was doing some silly maneuvers to overtake me whenever I slowed down behind a truck.
Careful what you say about ..er.. better drivers doing ..er.. smooth maneuvers. That 800 guy could be a member/reader of this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
I prescribe every petrol head and diesel head one long drive every year.
Very low dosage I believe. I prescribe at least half a dozen a year...
Old 27th August 2005, 12:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nice report about your journey and you must have had a very good experience.
Old 27th August 2005, 13:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Which colour? And any bells and whistles you are adding?
Moon Mist Grey. It is GLX model which has all the stuff I want. Shopping for music system / Fiat brand seat covers. Will post photographs once I get it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks