Team-BHP - Horanaadu, Sringeri, Udupi, St Mary's Island, Dharmasthala, Subramanya - Road Trip
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Horanaadu, Sringeri, Udupi, St Mary's Island, Dharmasthala, Subramanya - Road Trip (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/72583-horanaadu-sringeri-udupi-st-marys-island-dharmasthala-subramanya-road-trip.html)

Hello,

After lot of speculation on the road conditions to Dharmasthala, Subramanya. Finally decided to pay visit to the Temples during the Xmas holidays. It was first decided to travel on the day before Xmas in the afternoon so that we do not end up in the rush of people traveling due to long weekend/holiday season. Started off on 23rd Afternoon with a day's off on 24th it become a very long weekend. Few checks with friends and relatives for accompanying us, we had my wife's cousin and her family accompanying us.

Day 1, 23rd December:

Started off @ 3 PM from Maratahalli, picked up our fellow people and headed straight towards NICE Road after Kengeri. Soon we were taking the Magadi Road with lots of traffic before magadi we were slowed down. After Magadi we gathered speed and reached the Hassan Road. The Road conditions as much debated and spoken is a pain, considering the road laying activity. After channapatanna we stopped for a Chai Pani in Kamat. After that the roads improved and we soon crossed Hassan and headed towards Chikamagalur. By 8.30 PM we were there and were confused if to head straight to Horanaadu or stay back in Chikamagalur. Finally decided to stay, and we stayed back in "Planter's court". The hotel was a decent one. We did not bother too much as we had planned to vacate in the early morning next day. Accomodation Rate 640/- for a double room.

Day 2, 24th December:

We started early @ about 6 in the morning with the intention of reaching Horanadaau before 9AM and we did it. The road conditions is Ok. Took a deviation from Balehonnur to Horanaadu and stopped at a shop before Horanaadu (Hallimaney) and did some shopping. Took blessings from Goddess Annapurneshwari in Horaandu and headed straight to Sringeri. We were in a dilema if it take the SK Border route to Sringeri or go back through Balehonnur. Called up few localites around Sringeri only to find that the road through Kalasa and SK Border is in bad shape. Hence decided to start through Balehonnur. Mistake no 1, we did not head towards Balehonnur, instead we went by the signboads and ended up taking the bad roads. Advise fellow TBHP's to head to balehonnur all the way and then proceed towards Sringeri. Took Blesseings and headed straight to having some Lunch @ 2.00 PM (close timings for Lunch in Sringeri is 2.30 PM). it was time for some relaxation and some fun for the kids. They were excited to see the Fishes and were happy to feed them.
Regretted that we were not able to go to the Ashram beyond the river as it was closed till 5 PM.
Proceed towards Aagumbe, the roads were good all the way.
Stopped for a Chai/ Pani in Aagumbe just before Sun Set Point. You get very good Neer Dosa's in Aagumbe.

Post that it was time for sun to show his Magic, as usual the sunset and the view from top was awsome. The entire days tiredness was gone with the cool breeze around the place.

Some discussions amongst ourselves and we decided to halt @ Udupi. The moment we started desending the Aagumbe Ghat, the roads strated getting wrose. Till we reached udupi the roads were only worse.

Finally reached Udupi and thanked god there was no driving that day in those phatetic roads.

A quick refresh and we were off for Dinner, had dinner @ Hotel Woodlands which I guess is the favourite of all locals in Udupi. The food was fine.

Day 3, 25th December:

Took early morning Darshan of Lord Krishna and we had the entire day @ our disposal. The kids were a little crancky with 2 days travel. We decided to take some rest till noon. At 1.00 PM we decided to move towards St Mary's island which my Wife wanted to go since long. Finally we were there. Kids with the sight of water had turned enthu and the adults were kids all over again :) Played till the sunset and back to Hotel .
It was time for vehicle to quench its thrist. Filled up the Diesel and had some peaceful Dinner and sleep.

Day 4, 26th December:

Started @ 5.30 AM towards Dharmasthala. Roads are Ok and can be covered fast. Non stop driving to Dharmasthala only to find it tooo crowded. People who visited Dharmasthala on 26th would agree to what I say. The Q was a lengthly one and when enquired they said it would take minimum of 3 hours for Darshan. I was like "Oh god"..., soon we had our saviour. My Wife's cousin's husby's friend happened to meet him there who inturn knew someone in the Trust. A quick call, and we were inside the temple 15 minutes is all it took. I smiled, god was there for me.

We had decided that we would get our Daughters Hair chopped off, we got it done. With some quick grab we headed towards Subramanya.
Roads are fine, and quickly had darshan of God. We were looking for accomodation in Subramanya only to find all hotels are booked. We were cursing our fate, God was not there for us this time. We decided we move towards Bangalore.

We had a preset notion of not to travel through Shiradi and we opted to travel through Madikeri. Roads are good from Subramanya to Sulya-Madikeri Junction, beyond that is just hell. It got bad to worse and finally we hit Madikeri. A Stop in Madikeri for some snacks and off towards Kushalnagar. We wanted to visit the Golden Temple but since the cousins daughter had caught fever we decided we move straight back to Bangalore. Roads from kushal nagar to bangalore is breeze. Reached bangalore @ 1.15 and by the time we reached home it was 2.00 AM.

Drive between Subramanya to Madikeri was the most scary for me. Dangerous Drive on this road, considering the shoulders of roads are as high as mountains and the Lorry/Buses/Jeeps/Private vehicles do not bother to slow down nor give you way. I had by heart in my mouth when I saw a vehicle in front of me.

Photos Follow, not many but few atleast.

Photos in random view.

Photos - Part 2 follows

Photos - Part 3 follows

Good u avoided Shiradi Ghats ..

I went to Kukke 3 weeks back and its real Hell....

Deepak,

Excellent Photos. You have taken the temple snaps in good angles. Thanks for sharing such nice snaps.

Nice pics. Please share your driving experiences too. I guess you meant "Channarayapatna"and not "channapatanna"

@ pearljam, my bad yes its indeed Channarayapatna and not channapatanna.