Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2010, 12:21   #76
Senior - BHPian

The biggest challenge in such a trip is to convince your wife for the adventure (considering the distance). Rahul, I read the convincing part initially but is there any more Jurmana (shopping bribes) that we are unaware of

Amazing pictures and experience
Old 9th January 2010, 22:31   #77
BHPian

Rahul - I continue to crave to read more. Wonderful log. Travelogues like this create a impression of Kashmir that is more accessible - family, kids, and fun like most of the other places in India. I hope peace and normalcy stays in this region big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post

"Honey, look at me " I quietly say to my wife
Click....

"heheheh, i know you have eyes for me only" I tag her a little
What better place to be enjoying yourself - after all you were at heaven on earth and Dal Lake is the symbol of that heaven...
Old 10th January 2010, 23:37   #78
Senior - BHPian

Finally

Gar Firduas ruhe zamin ast, hamin asto hamin asto hamin asto.

Today is the last day of our great beautiful trip in valley.
After having a good night sleep and early morning garam garm chai, we are ready to check-out

"Hello, what happened to you ?" I ask the steed
"*@&^% -2 degree (*!@#" comes back the reply (i guess)

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010072.jpg
"Wow" look at the grass, the dew is almost iced.

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010073.jpg

"This place is so very familiar" I say to myself.
Its almost thirty years, I am at the same place & suddenly a nursery rhyme echo's in my ear. But wait, thats my elder daughter singing that song & thats the same song mom used to sing to me by the side of dal lake. What a coincidence. Priceless to be in such a place.

Soon we pay visit to the Shakaracharya Mandir and have a hazy view of the entire Srinagar. After the descent we visit Chasme-shahi gardens. They are a master piece of erstwhile Mughal Era they tell.

In the meantime, more dal lake as we drive along the empty boulvard road.

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010074.jpg
Escape to Gulmarg-p1010075.jpg
Escape to Gulmarg-p1010076.jpg

Sooner than later chasmeshahi comes, we pay Rs.50 to get into the empty dry gardens, but still its beautiful.
I am searching for the same spot, where a pic was clicked 29 years ago. Its etched in my mind. I can remember all the roses and flowers, but where is it. I am sure it was this garden or was it not.
"In summers, this would be really a treat to eyes, with water flowing", my wife says
"Yes, its firadus then" I reply as we click and get clicked for the moments to treasure.

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010078.jpg
Escape to Gulmarg-p1010079.jpg

Happy that I found what I was looking for, we leave the garden, in order to get to Jammu by evening.

Soon the phone buzzes..

"But, Ma are you sure?", I reply back.
"Yes, Its Shalimar Garden" comes the reply.

Soon, we are on our way to Shalimar Gardens. We do manage to find out the way there soon. The road signs are really helpful and majority of Gardens are along the Dal Lake, which helps.

Shalimar Garden they say is one of the most beautiful gardens during spring, summer. Right now its, dry due to winters.
Again Rs. 50 paid, we enter into the huge garden.

My eyes are scaning every nook and corner of the garden. Finally the moment of joy arrives.

"Hey, there it is..but somethings have changed.. No water but almost the same" I shout to my wife, who hurries towards the spot with kids in tow.
Escape to Gulmarg-p1010080.jpg
Escape to Gulmarg-p1010081.jpg

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010086.jpg
Escape to Gulmarg-p1010087.jpg
Content, we find what we were looking for, we head out and have some Ok, but not so good food outside the gardens and then start our journey back to Jammu.

"Look, the char chinars" says my wife, while i click it across

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010088.jpg

There are few things, you dont want to miss, when you visit firadus and this is one of em.

Escape to Gulmarg-26122009037.jpg

Escape to Gulmarg-26122009038.jpg

Escape to Gulmarg-26122009039.jpg

Escape to Gulmarg-26122009040.jpg

Escape to Gulmarg-26122009042.jpg

Escape to Gulmarg-26122009043.jpg

On our way back to Jammu

Reminder that we started at
Escape to Gulmarg-26122009049.jpg

OUR VICTORY

Escape to Gulmarg-26122009046.jpg

Parting note

Escape to Gulmarg-26122009047.jpg

and a great learning

Escape to Gulmarg-26122009059.jpg

A big thank you to Kashmir. I'll be back

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010089.jpg

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010090.jpg

A reminder of what we saw
Escape to Gulmarg-p1010091.jpg
Escape to Gulmarg-p1010092.jpg

& a reminder of few good things still "Final Garam Garam omlet and chai before leaving the valley"

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010093.jpg
Escape to Gulmarg-p1010095.jpg

contd..
Attached Thumbnails
Escape to Gulmarg-26122009044.jpg  

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010099.jpg  

Old 10th January 2010, 23:51   #79
Senior - BHPian

The End

Goodbye to Valley finally (not posting Jawahar Tunnel Pics purposefully)

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010104.jpg

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010113.jpg

"We reach Jammu in night at Dak Bunglow, JKTDC and have some lovely rogan josh etc for the final leg of the trip"

In the morning, due regards and prayers at Raghunath Mandir are offered, and in the afternoon, we start for delhi"

We pass Lakhanpur toll plaza around 13:28 by paying Rs. 70

"Why is the road a little different and showing Amritsar?," my wife asks me, after we cross pathankot.
"Well, i really am not sure, but there should be some marking saying to delhi na.. Look carefully" I reply back.

Its almost 10 mins of good roads and every milestone is shouting Amritsar so and so kms.

"Oops I did it again" Britney Spear song eh.

"I am lost again, Lets ask that innova guy ahead" I say to my wife.

Soon we come parallel to innova.

"Excuse me, is this the road to delhi ?" my wife asks the driver of innova.

The rear passenger window of innova, rolls down and a unshaven youth, peeks out in our direction and says,

"Ojee dilli jake kya karoge, hamare sath challo, Amritsar ki sair karayenge"

We are taken aback at this answer and I am slowly trying to put reverse gear to get out of there.

"Hey, go back 15 kms and take a right" comes a very rough voice from the driver and they take off.
"Phew, thank god" I manage to say and take a bbiigg U-turn and head back.

We manage to find the correct path there and then, and then decide halt for heavy brunch at McDonalds. I am sure that we would reach Delhi by evening

Afer few hours, thanks to heavy traffic, we pass Ladowal toll plaza at 18:46 by paying Rs. 82. Its quiet a mess of traffic at plaza. Its a big rush.

Little do we realize that time is running out fast and we would pass l&t panipat around 00:00 hrs a BIG thanks to unruly traffic jams and misbehaved vehicles. They are all over the road.

Finally after panipat, the roads get clear and we reach our destination around 1am in the morning to have our good night rest.

We have a laugh riot and a de stresser by watching 3-idiots, the next day. After the movie, I tank up at Rohini Sec -11. Karan Filling Station, which later while refuelling at Rishabdeo, gives a outstanding FE of 16.xx

A day well spent I must say at delhi, we catch up with friends and relatives.

We finally start back from Delhi around morning of 29th Dec.

I manage to break the speed barrier by a factor of 2 on the GGN = Jaipur road and escape only by paying a hefty fine. Little did I know, why people ahead of me were suddenly slowing down

We halt at Rishabdeo again, for the night and then start the final leg of the journey.

Again a beautiful roads greet us all the way until Talasarai, after which its a complete mess.

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010018.jpg

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010019.jpg

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010021.jpg

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010023.jpg

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010025.jpg

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010027.jpg

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010028.jpg

Escape to Gulmarg-p1010029.jpg

Its around 9pm and we are nearing Ghodbunder road. I am a little tired now seeing the mess.

Its dark and I am little confused as to where I am. So we decide to call up HV and ask for his directions, lest we get lost.

"Hello.. Hello HV ? I need your help negotiating Ghodbunder to Thane Belapur road."
"Where are you right now?" HV asks.
"Falna Falna place" I reply.
"Ok, go exactly 50 kms and then you'll see Hotel Fountain. Take a right from there", comes back the reply, with a addenum that, we can call him once I reach that place.

I am amazed by the accurateness of Mr. HV

He manages to guide me out from Ghodbunder road to thane belapur road, step by step ONLINE with perfectness, i have never witnessed myself before.

I do blaze the streets of thane that night trying to keep pace with HV' expert navigation.

My wife & I had a superb navigation experience to remember always.Thank You HV Kumar

We manage to negotiate and come to Pune Expressway within 1.xx hrs.
& we are finally home safe and sound on 31st 00:02hrs

"Listen, that was a beautiful lake na, at the end of the 3-idiots" my wife says.

"Yes, soon" I manage to say
Old 10th January 2010, 23:53   #80
Senior - BHPian

Facts and Figure

A few details on the trip

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 10th January 2010 at 23:55.
Old 11th January 2010, 00:18   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My wife & I had a superb navigation experience to remember always.Thank You HV Kumar
A few quotations:

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens".
Jimi Hendrix

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE:
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply!"

MARGARET FULLER:
"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."

Rahul, that was a great trip, we are all happy to have been part of it.

BTW, those graphs are fab!
Old 11th January 2010, 09:36   #82
Senior - BHPian

beautiful trip Rahul and equally great pics and narration.
Old 11th January 2010, 11:32   #83
BHPian

That was a great trip Rahul, thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11th January 2010, 12:58   #84
BHPian

That was a great trip. I am sure kids must be happy seeing and playing in snow.
Old 11th January 2010, 16:31   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Rahul - I continue to crave to read more. Wonderful log. Travelogues like this create a impression of Kashmir that is more accessible - family, kids, and fun like most of the other places in India. I hope peace and normalcy stays in this region big time.

What better place to be enjoying yourself - after all you were at heaven on earth and Dal Lake is the symbol of that heaven...
Amen to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The biggest challenge in such a trip is to convince your wife for the adventure (considering the distance). Rahul, I read the convincing part initially but is there any more Jurmana (shopping bribes) that we are unaware of

Amazing pictures and experience
Part of the package Dadu.. Somethings are better understood than said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
A few quotations:

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens".
Jimi Hendrix

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE:
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply!"

MARGARET FULLER:
"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."

Rahul, that was a great trip, we are all happy to have been part of it.

BTW, those graphs are fab!
Thanks HV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
beautiful trip Rahul and equally great pics and narration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
That was a great trip Rahul, thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme27 View Post
That was a great trip. I am sure kids must be happy seeing and playing in snow.
Thanks rkbharat, srikanthpotluri, contactme27. We really enjoyed this trip.

Its a great feeling when you visit all the places you grew up and were born. I guess we were lucky, given the time.
Old 11th January 2010, 18:34   #86
BHPian

Rahul. Wonderful beginning. Just hooked to it, still on Page 1, was waiting for your travelogue. Your experiences will be helpful to me as I too have plans to drive our Safari to Kashmir in next winters.

That messy situation on Narmada bridge between Ankleswar and Bharuch is very tricky. Recently during our return trip from Mumbai, we also experienced it, but were luckey to have been advised in advance by HVK sir, how to come out of it. That saved us quite a time.

Enjoying the journey with your words and pics..BTW, Excellent narration skills.A great story teller you certainly are! Keep it up mate!
Old 12th January 2010, 14:23   #87
Senior - BHPian

"LongDrive lover" thanks for the comments. Glad you saw this trip through my writeup

HVK logs are real guide to travel anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Rahul. Wonderful beginning. Just hooked to it, still on Page 1, was waiting for your travelogue. Your experiences will be helpful to me as I too have plans to drive our Safari to Kashmir in next winters.

That messy situation on Narmada bridge between Ankleswar and Bharuch is very tricky. Recently during our return trip from Mumbai, we also experienced it, but were luckey to have been advised in advance by HVK sir, how to come out of it. That saved us quite a time.

Enjoying the journey with your words and pics..BTW, Excellent narration skills.A great story teller you certainly are! Keep it up mate!
Old 12th January 2010, 14:31   #88
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful , Also courage shown by your spouse for agreeing to the long road trip with kids is commendable.
Were you the lone driver or both of you shared driving responsibilities.
Old 12th January 2010, 14:43   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Wonderful , Also courage shown by your spouse for agreeing to the long road trip with kids is commendable.
Were you the lone driver or both of you shared driving responsibilities.
Yes, Amit It was indeed wonderful trip. A beginning of a exciting journey called life

I was the lone driver and she an emergency one limited to 2nd gear

God willing, she would graduate 3rd, do an MS. with 4th gear of Safari very soon and do a PHD with 5th sometime later.

Hopefully in next travel she may drive.
Old 12th January 2010, 17:11   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Yes, Amit It was indeed wonderful trip. A beginning of a exciting journey called life

I was the lone driver and she an emergency one limited to 2nd gear

God willing, she would graduate 3rd, do an MS. with 4th gear of Safari very soon and do a PHD with 5th sometime later.

Hopefully in next travel she may drive.
Be careful in Safari speed can not be sensed easily like small cars untill one looks at speedo , My Wife graduated to 5 in first trip itself limiting to 100 Kmph but in second pushed to top speed of 160 and I have to constantly nag to bring to sensible limits .
There are two disadvantages

1. Role reversal is not enjoyable .
2. Now she gets bored in couple of hours and insist on getting behind steering to "help me" and does not leave for good 200 - 300 km

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks