Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2010, 12:45   #46
Senior - BHPian

Hi

Enjoyed your drivoblogs, the photos are great, Captions are very crisp and often very meaningful.

Thanks for sharing, Keep posting when ever you can..
Rated 5 star

Old 11th January 2010, 14:46   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
Pictures in Nalgonda District, AP
What made you say that is a old generation loco !! It is a WDP4 class loco quite popular in its category and most effective in pulling shorter rakes i.e 18 coach ones.
Old 11th January 2010, 14:50   #48
Senior - BHPian

Very well done Drivoblog except for the two mistakes which has been pointed out earlier on the Electric Loco and the new gen GM WDP4 loco.
Old 11th January 2010, 20:44   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
except for the two mistakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
What made you say that is a old generation loco !! It is a WDP4 class loco quite popular in its category and most effective in pulling shorter rakes i.e 18 coach ones.
Pardon my ignorance. I stand corrected now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Rated 5 star

Thank You
Old 11th January 2010, 21:21   #50
cLJ
BHPian

Very good photos and nice travelogues. Long train journey is altogether a different experience, which I had a lot in my childhood.

Railway has still a long way to go to electrify and modernise the tracks.

CLJ
Old 11th January 2010, 22:25   #51
BHPian

Outstanding photos. A feast for train lover like me.

I have taken the liberty of a posting a link to this thread in IRFCA discussion forum
Old 11th January 2010, 23:23   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
Outstanding photos. A feast for train lover like me.

I have taken the liberty of a posting a link to this thread in IRFCA discussion forum
you are most welcome. I'm aware of that forum. Its the TBHP of Trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLJ View Post
Railway has still a long way to go to electrify and modernise the tracks.
And speed too.

Last edited by btirthankar : 11th January 2010 at 23:25.
Old 15th January 2010, 05:24   #53
BHPian

Now I know what is this WDP4 Loco

"WDP–4These are GM EMD GT46PAC locos. Starting in June 2001, 10 of them (#20000 to #20009) were provided by GM, operating out of Hubli (but frequently seen at Guntakal, Gooty, Bangalore and Secunderabad). In April 2002 DLW started producing these locomotives with 20011, 20013 and 20014 being assembled from completely knocked down kits. 20012 was the first indigenously manufactured WDP-4 and features a modified fibre glass shell over the standard cab. DLW had plans only for these 5 in its first production batch, but started to produce them in large numbers starting in late 2003.

These are 4000hp locos with the 16-cylinder EMD 16-710 (16-V-710G3B-EC) turbocharged engines (AC-AC transmission) with unit fuel injection. The fabricated underframe has a rigid design. The bogies are GM's light-weight cast HTSC bogies similar to those of WDG-4 locos but meant for passenger use. (See the WDG-4 notes for some more information.) The bogies are said to have a 'million mile' overhaul interval because of a reduction in the number of wearing surfaces. The suspension is a two-stage suspension. They have an interesting Bo1-1Bo wheel arrangement. At 119t they are 7t lighter than the WDG-4 because they have 2 fewer traction motors. Max. speed 160km/h, although in trials it is said to have been run at speeds up to 180km/h. However, in most cases today [2/05] the loco is restricted to 110km/h or so since it used for hauling heavier 24-coach passenger trains. Factor of adhesion is claimed to be around 32% (all-weather). The EM2000 onboard microprocessor system provides a flexible and expandable control system with complete self-diagnostic and unit history features. The cab body is made of fibreglass. It is expected that these will need to return to their home sheds only once in about 90 days for regular maintenance. However, the links at Hubli [1/05] are such that these end up being 'home' every 15 days in any case. Indigenization has proceeded well with many components being made in India now: motors by Crompton, alternators by Kirloskar, etc.

Unusually for IR locos, the DLW-built WDP-4's have cab air-conditioning factory-installed. However, the Hubli shed apparently discourages the use of the air-conditioning equipment for fear it affects fuel consumption adversely [10/04].

Starting in April 2005, these locos were allocated in large numbers to Krishnarajpuram shed of the SWR with Siliguri in the NFR receiving a few locos in late 2006. [12/08] More sheds are expected to home these locos, but currently, along with Hubli, these are the only sheds that handle this class. The current holding of all sheds combined is 75+.

#20040 homed at KJM shed is the first IGBT based WDP-4. The traction conversion system was supplied by Siemens.

Builders: GM EMD, DLW
Engine: GM-EMD 16-710, 4000hp
Transmission: Electric (AC - AC), GM components?
Weight: 118t
Fuel tank capacity: 6000l
A 24-coach (1430t) passenger rake can be accelerated to 110km/h in 1020 seconds (over 25.7km) by a WDP-4."

Courtesy: [IRFCA] Indian Railways FAQ: Locomotives -- Specific classes : AC Electric

And thats the reason I spotted it in Siliguri recently.
Attached Thumbnails
DRIVOBLOG® | [CCU-HYD] Special Railway Edition | LIVE!-dsc00454-copy.jpg  

Old 15th January 2010, 15:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

@btirthankar
How about the mileage (kmpl of Diesel ) of the loco engines.
I should rather ask in this way, How many liters of Diesel is required for 1 Km ? :-)
Old 15th January 2010, 15:31   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
@btirthankar
How about the mileage (kmpl of Diesel ) of the loco engines.
I should rather ask in this way, How many liters of Diesel is required for 1 Km ? :-)
Even I would love to know. I am requesting the IRFCA affiliated members among us to do the honors.
Old 15th January 2010, 15:38   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Actually,all diesel engines used for hauling Trains on Mainline do not have batteries. The 2 Stroke TC fuel-injected Diesel engine drives an alternator which is coupled to AC Traction motor which run a Bogie in pairs. More info on WDP4 can be found in [IRFCA] Indian Railways FAQ: Locomotives -- Specific classes : AC Electric

Nitpicking! The Slide 30 jpg actually is an electrical locomotive (WAP 4) and locomotive in slide 2 is actually the latest diesel locos acquired by IR from EMD (previously owned by GM). They are more powerful and efficient than earlier ALCO ones
Thanks Dwind. The incorrect information that I posted made me learn some facts about WDP4. (rectified as well)

Well Diesels are carbon efficient but I wonder why the route between HYD and KOL is not electrified? Does it not make things more eco-friendly?
Old 16th January 2010, 21:35   #57
BHPian

Some short Videos

Some short Videos of the journey

Old 17th January 2010, 02:04   #58
BHPian

Now Get Trainspected!

The journey continues at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...y-edition.html

Now Get Trainspected!
Old 17th January 2010, 07:17   #59
BHPian

Are the windows clean enough to take pics from where you sit or do you rush to the door every now and then for a pic?
All pictures and captions are wonderful!
Old 17th January 2010, 07:53   #60
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful thread and I really like your narrations too!!!
I too fancy train journeys and too am fond of photography, However I am never able to devote enough time to caption and upload the pictures. You could say that I am very lazy when it comes to documenting my experiences!!!

Most Viewed