Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2010, 22:24   #121
Senior - BHPian

Bypassing Bangalore - From NH7 to NH7

HOW TO BYPASS BANGALORE -
NH7 (North East, Hyderabad) to NH7 (South, Hosur)

Leave NH7 and enter Devanahalli town (left fork, 13 kms from the end of the Chickballapur bypass).

At the Devanahalli bus station (right side), 3 kms from NH7, take a left turn, onto NH207

4 kms down the road, take the right turn, off NH207. As you take the right turn, you will see the big overhead board indicating Whitefield 34/K R Puram 29/Electronic City 64.

23 kms later, this road will skirt the boundary walls of the new airport (to the right) and intersect NH4 (Old Madras Road) before Hoskote.

There is a flyover under construction here. Take a left turn (towards Hoskote/Kolar, right goes to Bangalore city), and go on the NH4 1-2 kms before you see a break and a U-turn possibility.

Make the U-turn and come back till you see a road to the left - no markings!

Now you are on a 4-lane road heading to Whitefield 7 kms away - you know you have reached when you cross the rail level crossing (overbridge under construction).

Keep going straight - you will intersect a road junction with signals - past the Kadugodi bus stand.

5 kms from the Whitefield level crossing, you will reach Varthur which is indicated by the Mega Mart (left hand side) and after crossing a roundabout, you are on a narrow 2-lane road skirting the Varthur Lake (right hand side).

10 kms down this road, from the Varthur Lake you hit the Sarjapura Road, where you turn left (right goes to Bangalore-Koramangala) (there is a BPCL pump at that point), and it is peaceful 5 km run till the Sarjapura Police Station (right side) where you take a right turn (straight goes to Chikka Tirupati/Bagalur), and reach Attibele, on NH7, 10 kms later, just short of the TN border, at 1145 pm.

The entire drive is 70 kms and take upto 2 hours, depending on time of the day.

Overall, a fast route to bypass Bangalore, easy to understand, and recommended.

Petrol pumps at Whitefield, Varthur & Sarjapura Road.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2010, 07:43   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

..... you will reach Varthur which is indicated by the Mega Mart (left hand side) and after crossing a roundabout, you are on a narrow 2-lane road skirting the Varthur Lake (right hand side).....

That is Value Forum Mall, which also has Megamart in it probably their ad was too big and you took it for Megamart.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:20   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If there was a A2B after Karur, I am sorry I missed it.
I have not noticed it, either, on NH7. I don't think the A2B@Karur is on NH7, it is probably inside the town.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:37   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
That is Value Forum Mall, which also has Megamart in it probably their ad was too big and you took it for Megamart.
Thanks for the correction. The Mall is a good landmark.

Quote:
I have not noticed it, either, on NH7. I don't think the A2B@Karur is on NH7, it is probably inside the town.
sbraj, I am not even sure that there is a A2B in Karur, I think I heard someone mention it. The A2B webiste is so uninformnative and they also did not respond to my mail asking them for info on their A2Bs.

Now even Madurai is bypassed, I wonder if there are any good places to eat anywhere between Salem and Madurai!
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:38   #125
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
+1. Neither have I noticed it on NH7. I was inside the town as well. Didn't notice it from the town centre on the way to NH7 as well. Beats me.
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:02   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I crossed Ananthapur pretty quickly (379 kms, 735 am, 4.35 hrs). I personally thought that, both in terms of food and fuel, facilities are very poor on this route, especially after Gooty. Running short on fuel, I had to refuel at a broken-down petrol pump after Penukonda. Happily, despite the rising sun, miscellaneous traffic remained light and there was not much wrong-side movements, quite characteristic of the new-fangled 4-laned roads.

I reached Devanahalli (new Bangalore airport town) at 950 am, having covered 560 kms in 6.50 hrs, and now I turned off NH7 into the Devanahalli town, where I first travelled on NH207 before taking a peaceful route via Whitefield, .
HVK,

That petrol pump is not broken down. Its built like that. Otherwise how can it exisit in that condition for the las 40 years. I have filled up in that pump (more correctly my family) since 1969

The route you have followed from Devanahalli to Whitefield was again a favourite of mine (you can call it the Sai Baba route). I used to cover the distance from Devanahalli Jn to Whitefield Level Cross via Hoskote cross (I don't know if its still a level cross) in about 25 - 30 minutes (the best was 22 minutes in 1979 in a Ford Capri)

You brought back a lot of memmories

Thanks

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 2nd February 2010 at 12:05.
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:07   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
HVK,

That petrol pump is not broken down. Its built like that. Otherwise how can it exisit in that condition for the las 40 years. I have filled up in that pump (more correctly my family) since 1969
Heritage structures on the highway - that is something new! I filled up just enough at the pump to cross KA and reach TN where fuel is cheaper.

Quote:
The route you have followed from Devanahalli to Whitefield was again a favourite of mine (you can call it the Sai Baba route). I used to cover the distance from Devanahalli Jn to Whitefield Level Cross via Hoskote cross (I don't know if its still a level cross) in about 25 - 30 minutes (best was in 1979 in a Ford Capri)
Yes, it is an old road, I have myself ridden a mobike on this route way back in 1988!
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:42   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
+1. Neither have I noticed it on NH7. I was inside the town as well. Didn't notice it from the town centre on the way to NH7 as well. Beats me.
No A2B after Thoppur. You have to go inside Karur around 200m to Residency, around 1500m Adayar Anandabhavan near bus stand. Other hotels are, Valluvar (OK), Hemala (very good). Hemala is deep inside the town and around 3-4 Kms from NH7.
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:45   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
No A2B after Thoppur. You have to go inside Karur around 200m to Residency, around 1500m Adayar Anandabhavan near bus stand. Other hotels are, Valluvar (OK), Hemala (very good). Hemala is deep inside the town and around 3-4 Kms from NH7.
That is not a A2B? Unfortunate that there are no highway hotels, question of going into messy small towns does not arise at all.

funda2max, that is fantastic info, thanks.
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:45   #130
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Incidentally we had lunch at Adayar Anandhabhavan! Sandwiches, Chaat items and Basundi. However, I don't remember noticing any A2B from Anandabhavan to NH7. Guess, I have to go on another drive from pune to karur!
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:51   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Incidentally we had lunch at Adayar Anandhabhavan! Sandwiches, Chaat items and Basundi. However, I don't remember noticing any A2B from Anandabhavan to NH7. Guess, I have to go on another drive from pune to karur!
Yes, No A2B after Thoppur toll gate till Tirunelveli.

Quote:
That is not a A2B? Unfortunate that there are no highway hotels, question of going into messy small towns does not arise at all.

funda2max, that is fantastic info, thanks.
Thanks HVK sir. As far as i know, A2B is highway restaurant where in Adayar anandabhavan is a proper hotel inside town.
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:06   #132
BHPian

Quote:

Leave NH7 and enter Devanahalli town (left fork, 13 kms from the end of the Chickballapur bypass).

At the Devanahalli bus station (right side), 3 kms from NH7, take a left turn, onto NH207
4 kms down the road, take the right turn, off NH207. As you take the right turn, you will see the big overhead board indicating Whitefield 34/K R Puram 29/Electronic City 64.
The entire drive is 70 kms and take upto 2 hours, depending on time of the day.
Overall, a fast route to bypass Bangalore, easy to understand, and recommended.
HVK Sir, Very useful info that you are giving here. We'll take a printout of all this and go tension free during our upcoming trip on that route in coming summer! This travelogue of yours have come in right on time for me. Thanks.
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:05   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There is a flyover under construction here. Take a left turn (towards Hoskote/Kolar, right goes to Bangalore city), and go on the NH4 1-2 kms before you see a break and a U-turn possibility.

Make the U-turn and come back till you see a road to the left - no markings!

Now you are on a 4-lane road heading to Whitefield 7 kms away - you know you have reached when you cross the rail level crossing (overbridge under construction).

Keep going straight - you will intersect a road junction with signals - past the Kadugodi bus stand.
HVK

A small factual correction here.

The Junction you are talikng about is the "Hope Farm Jn." this is junction of the Krishnarajapuram - Kolar & Hoskote - Whitefield Roads.

Kadugodi is on the road left from the Whitefield Level Cross (when you are towrads Whitefield), Kadugodi Bus Stand is at the Level Cross itself - just past the level cross. (there is another bus stand in the Kadugodi Village which is behind the Sai Baba Ashram which is at the Level Cross) .

Hope this will be of small help in keeping your logs more accurate

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 2nd February 2010 at 14:07.
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:37   #134
DKG
Senior - BHPian

We all know that HVK is a living GPS/map of India but Basu you have, I must say, an outstanding talent for communication. Your pictures were simply brilliant and your commentary witty and insightful.

You seriously should print this, its entertaining !
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:52   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
HVK,

The route you have followed from Devanahalli to Whitefield was again a favourite of mine (you can call it the Sai Baba route). I used to cover the distance from Devanahalli Jn to Whitefield Level Cross via Hoskote cross (I don't know if its still a level cross) in about 25 - 30 minutes (the best was 22 minutes in 1979 in a Ford Capri)

You brought back a lot of memmories

Thanks

Ram

Wow! I did not know that NH207 (if it was called the same then) existed so long ago ! Why the govt. had to make such a small NH?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks