Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 18:14   #151
Senior - BHPian

Great going!!! Real detailed pics i must say!!!
Old 8th February 2010, 20:47   #152
Senior - BHPian

Udaipur at night!

After spending a couple of hours inside the zoo, we returned back to our hotel. We had a late lunch by 4.30 pm and walked around Surajpole area for some time. By evening we went to Dudh Talai, with the intention of taking some night shots of the palaces from the top of the Machhala Hill.

We first went to see the musical fountain in the park opposite to the Ropeway entrance. The musical fountain was nowhere near the one of Vrindavan Gardens, Mysore. But still we enjoyed it. We got a very good view of the lake and palaces from there.

By 8 pm, we decided to take the Gondola ride to the top of Machhala Hill. We purchased the tickets and was about to enter the gondola, when we heard someone calling my wifey’s name. We were surprised to see Commander Alok again! Commander came with us to the top and gave us company, when I ran around taking photographs. Commander took us to a special place atop the hill and I got the best view of Udaipur city below. It was really a wonderful sight. We were awestruck by the beauty of the city at night!!!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-1.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-1a.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-1b.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-1c.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-1d.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-1e.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-1f.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-2.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-2a.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-2b.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-3.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-3a.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-3b.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-3c.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-3d.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-3e.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-3f.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-3g.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-3h.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-3i.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-4a.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-4b.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-6a.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-6b.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-6c.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-7a.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-8a.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-night-view-udaipur-8b.jpg
Old 8th February 2010, 21:05   #153
Senior - BHPian

Hey C_L

I just saw on NDTV Goodtimes.. Custom Made for Vir Sanghvi, where the you know who stayed at the Lake Mahal Palace in the middle of Lake Pichola and experienced the Custom built Luxury experience

i could see the internal view of the palace which complimented the external view presented by you.

They did not capture the lake palace + fireworks at the same time.

you did a better job i think.
Old 9th February 2010, 00:01   #154
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Good photos there, though some of them are a tad over exposed. But very good photos. And the place is bewitching. I'm over-awed. The one other time I saw something grand was Paris from Eiffel tower in the night. This one's real close to that.
Old 9th February 2010, 00:21   #155
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Star, Majic, Kaushal and MX6. We just loved the view of the city at night. I had to get more light in, as it was a very dark night and I was shooting from over 4 kilometres away, and some of the pics were underexposed. It is better to have a well lit, bright photo than a dark and dull one, right??

Udaipur is definitely one of the most beautiful places in the world!
Old 9th February 2010, 11:40   #156
BHPian

CL - I dont have any more adjectives left. Simply superb. Some photos however I think are over exposed and and in some light too bright and hits eyes.

one query - I know night shots are very difficult. Do you use tripod for capturing such images? If not, congrats for having rock solid steady hand. Also do you use night shot option in your camera that adjusts the exposure?
Old 9th February 2010, 11:45   #157
Senior - BHPian

WOW!!! the night pics are amazing!!!!!

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 9th February 2010 at 11:47.
Old 9th February 2010, 12:52   #158
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Advait and Kaushik.

I use a tripod. No one can take these kind of night shots without a tripod. It is next to impossible!

About your query on exposure, I have never used automatic settings. It is always manual. I deliberately increased the exposure to give a bright look. I take about 10 to 12 shots of the same scene with different settings. I posted different pics with different exposures just to make the pics brighter. It is not an overexposure, by mistake! What is the use if all the pics have the same exposure and brightness???

This is my humble effort in trying different settings and exposure. I have lots of perfect exposure shots, which I have posted along with the brighter ones!
Old 9th February 2010, 13:04   #159
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I noticed that Chevy. Hence I pointed out that it's slightly over-exposed. I understood it's a deliberate attempt. I tend to slightly over-expose too when I use my DSLR. I also got the tripod point there. But I did notice in a couple of photos there's a bit of camera shake due to initial clicking though mounted on a tripod. Sometimes I set it on timer mode (2 sec timer), take the readings and click. Since the photo is taken 2 seconds later, any minute shake due to pressing gets ruled out.
This is very useful when you are zooming in from far away on night shots, mounted on tripods. Humble suggestion, but you might be knowing it already.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:06   #160
BHPian

Thanks for clearing it CL.

My personal preference is photos that are not too bright and "hit-in-the-eye" kind. But, that's me and my choice. As I said earlier, I am running out of adjectives.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:43   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I noticed that Chevy. Hence I pointed out that it's slightly over-exposed. I understood it's a deliberate attempt. I tend to slightly over-expose too when I use my DSLR. I also got the tripod point there. But I did notice in a couple of photos there's a bit of camera shake due to initial clicking though mounted on a tripod. Sometimes I set it on timer mode (2 sec timer), take the readings and click. Since the photo is taken 2 seconds later, any minute shake due to pressing gets ruled out.
This is very useful when you are zooming in from far away on night shots, mounted on tripods. Humble suggestion, but you might be knowing it already.
Thanks MX6. I use the ten second timer in my camera. The camera shake is not because of the clicking. It is because I was sitting on top of the rocks in the picture below, to capture the night shots of the city. It was pitch dark and I had to do a balancing act. I could not balance my tripod on all three legs, as there was hardly any level space on the rock. I had to balance the tripod on one leg and use some other rocks to support it! See the star? That was where I was sitting!!! One slip and I would have become an Angel!!!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-13-hill-top.jpg

You can never imagine the pain I took to capture these shots in 3 degree C temperature!

Since there is some discussion about exposure, here is a pic with the right exposure!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-city-palace.jpg
Old 9th February 2010, 13:59   #162
Senior - BHPian

Lots to learn abt photography...i think i need more oppertunities to click. The RJ trip i did was my first with the DSLR. Will be great if you guys give me your feedback and areas to work on.
Old 9th February 2010, 14:08   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
That's a good suggestion MX6. Will try that.
I typically use the remote control to operate my camera, for zooming as well as click. It does not have problem of even minute shake when click is remote controlled. Of course, it would dry the battery faster since I would be using the lcd panel rather than view finder.

@ CL - that's a great image. perfect exposure; my vote goes to this for "photo of the log" with close runners-up as "...3i.jpg" and "...3j.jpg" in post # 152.

Last edited by advaitlele : 9th February 2010 at 14:11. Reason: Added comment
Old 9th February 2010, 14:12   #164
MX6
Senior - BHPian

now it explains. So you reduced your tripod effectively to a monopod. Still, you got very steady hands at 3 deg! I remember hanging out of trains, standing at the edge of cliffs and highrises to take some photos. People say I'm crazy. I don't let vertigo come in the way too! I'll work on my european travelogues once I'm through with my current one.
Here's a teaser pic though. Overexposed slightly, deliberately to get the green grass, in a night shot.

Paris from atop 1st level of Eiffel tower.
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-eiffel-1.jpg

Last edited by MX6 : 9th February 2010 at 14:18. Reason: Adding a photo
Old 9th February 2010, 14:26   #165
Senior - BHPian

Great photo MX6. Sometimes overexposure works wonders!

This photo would have been ruined, if the grass was black, because of under-exposure!!

@ Kaushik, the more you click, the more you learn. I took about 35,000 photos during the last year with different cameras.

@ Advait, thanks for the comment. Sometimes over exposure is necessary to bring life in an image.

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 9th February 2010 at 14:39.
Chevy_lover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed