Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 15:01   #166
BHPian

MX6 - thats a nice photo and the green color emerges perfectly well. I got the haze cleared looking at this photo about overexposure thing. Would try that soon. Learnt something new today.

CL - I now got what you have been saying. Overexposure is necessary to add life to the photo sometimes, evident from the photo posted by MX6. Keep the flow on. Or you dont want to move ahead from your anniversary day?
Old 9th February 2010, 15:50   #167
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
MX6 - thats a nice photo and the green color emerges perfectly well. I got the haze cleared looking at this photo about overexposure thing. Would try that soon. Learnt something new today.
It's again a tricky. Too much over-exposure burns the pic on bright places. For landscapes I see many doing the HDRs. Some get it right, others get a pic that looks very artificial. You may even try HDRs on night shots with taking multiple photos where you over-expose, under-expose and take correct exposure.
Old 9th February 2010, 17:22   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
It's again a tricky. Too much over-exposure burns the pic on bright places. For landscapes I see many doing the HDRs. Some get it right, others get a pic that looks very artificial. You may even try HDRs on night shots with taking multiple photos where you over-expose, under-expose and take correct exposure.
Dear C_L. It now goes without saying that we all are thoroughly enjoying those pics. And see how well all your efforts (those hrs spent in those cold nights in Udaipur taking those pics), have yielded good results! So much discussion about technicalities of photography going on here. Its good.
Old 9th February 2010, 18:10   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
CL - I now got what you have been saying. Overexposure is necessary to add life to the photo sometimes, evident from the photo posted by MX6. Keep the flow on. Or you dont want to move ahead from your anniversary day?
I am glad you got the point, Advait. I will be posting more pics later in the evening. I was tied up with work the whole day. Coming up... Sajjangharh Fort...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Dear C_L. It now goes without saying that we all are thoroughly enjoying those pics. And see how well all your efforts (those hrs spent in those cold nights in Udaipur taking those pics), have yielded good results! So much discussion about technicalities of photography going on here. Its good.
Thank you Longdrivelover. Photography is one area where you learn something new everyday. A particular scene can be shot in 50 or more different ways!!! I am still a beginner and I have miles to go before I become a good photographer!
Old 10th February 2010, 12:37   #170
BHPian

CL...i am having a tough time trying to explain to my wife when she is reading through this...she keeps asking me why i haven't taken her for a trip like this...you are really ruining my life..jokes apart...nice pictures of the night..wonderful exposures..looking forward to more
Old 10th February 2010, 17:30   #171
Senior - BHPian

Day 5 – Sajjan Garh Palace…

After capturing some amazing scenes of the city, we boarded the Gondola to the base station by 10 pm. Commander Alok was with us all the time and he helped us stay longer than the allowed time. We finally bid goodbye to Commander Alok and drove to the city and had a great continental dinner. We were very happy with the way we spent our anniversary day. We finally returned back to our hotel by 1 am and retired for the night by 1.30 am.

Day 5 – Sajjan Garh Palace…

We woke up on day 5 of our journey by 8 am. We decided to go to Sajjan Garh Palace, which was about 6 -7 kilometres away from the city, that day. This palace’s construction was completed in 1883 by Maharana Sajjan Singh and the palace was used as summer retreat for Mewar Kings and also as a Monsoon Palace, to watch the progress of Monsoon clouds. The palace is located inside the Sajjangarh forest sanctuary.

We had our breakfast from a restaurant nearby and started our journey by 11 am. We asked for directions from some auto drivers and soon reached the gate of the Sajjangarh forest sanctuary. We paid the entry charges for us and Chevy and soon started our drive uphill. The road was very narrow and had 12 or 13 hairpin curves. It was a difficult drive and I had to be extremely careful and honk at all turns as I had noticed that RJ drivers rarely used their horns, even at blind turns.

We reached the palace after a drive of about thirty minutes and parked our Chevy outside the gates. We decided to take the services of a guide from there as the palace was huge and we did not want to waste any time there. Our guide’s name was Jacky and he took great interest in explaining about the history and lesser known facts of the palace and the king’s life!

We were really impressed by the grandeur of the palace. It had huge wooden doors and the artwork at the entrance was very beautiful!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-1.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-2.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-3.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-4.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-5.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-6.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-7.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-8.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-9.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-10.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-11.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-12-sajjan-garh.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-13.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-14.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-15.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-16.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-17-sajjan-garh.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-18.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-19.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-20.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-21.jpg

Name:  22.JPG
Views: 1413
Size:  171.1 KB

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-23.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-24.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-25.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-26.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-27.jpg
Old 11th February 2010, 14:01   #172
Senior - BHPian

A tour of Sajjangarh Palace....

We entered the palace and was awestruck by what we saw. I will let the photos do the narration.

Huge water tanks constructed on the ground. This was a pioneering water harvesting structure to collect rainwater in many underground tanks with storage capacity of 195,500 litres per tank.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-1-water-tanks-palace-_-rain-water-harvesting.jpg

In spite of all these measures, the palace was abandoned by the royal family because of acute water shortage during the summer months! Know the reason why??? Stay tuned for a startling discovery…..

View of the villages and farm lands from the palace.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-2-view-villages-palace.jpg

A view of the palace

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-3-view-palace.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-4-view-palace.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-4a-view-palace_renovation-going-.jpg

A small fort built for hunting. The king used to sit here with his loaded gun and his soldiers used to go out in the jungle with drums to scare the animals and would make them run towards the fort. The king had easy targets! You call this hunting???

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-5-small-fort-built-hunting.jpg

The narrow trail built to Sajjangarh Palace. I wonder how long it would take to reach the palace on horseback!!!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-6-narrow-trail-sajjangarh-palace.jpg

Visitor’s bungalow built behind the palace. To the extreme left is the toilet complex!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-7-visitors-bungalow-toilets.jpg

A beautiful view of the hills and the infinite plains….

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-8-beautiful-view-hills-infinite-plains.jpg

Beautiful artwork at the entrance of the palace.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-9-beautiful-artwork-.jpg

The bathroom of the first Queen. Water used to spurt six feet high from the fountains on the floor. A real work of architecture! The king had installed special pumps for the purpose, which still work!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-10-bathroom-queen.jpg

A specially made water sprayer. There are many like this on the floor of the bathroom.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-11-water-sprayer.jpg

The controls of the water sprayer. We felt it and the metal pipe was frozen stiff!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-11a-water-sprayer-controls.jpg

Queen’s bedroom’s balcony, but we noticed that it was facing the bathroom on the first floor. Maybe it was for the King???

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-12-queens-bedrooms-balcony.jpg

Another sprayer fitted bathroom! For the second queen, obviously!!!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-13-sprayer-fitted-bathroom.jpg

Staircase to the first floor.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-14-staircase-first-floor.jpg

The King’s court or Darbar. He used to listen to live music and see classical dance, sitting here.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-15-kings-durbar.jpg

Place for musicians, just opposite to the King’s court. They used to sit in the balcony???

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-15a-place-musicians.jpg

The Queen’s room. She used to have her portraits made from here. See how people are treating our heritage palaces with utter disdain! Mr. Prakash Sagar and Mr. Aditya and all the other artists, shame on you!!! You ought to be spanked!!!

Name:  16 Queens bedroom.JPG
Views: 1575
Size:  92.3 KB

The Queen’s bedroom.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-17-queens-room.jpg

Farmland at the foot of the hills.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-18-farmland.jpg

Yet another bathroom of the Queen! This one had wall fittings for a change! Now I FULLY understand why there was always a scarcity of water in the palace!!! No wonder, the water tanks were going empty in very little time!!!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-19-another-bathroom-queens.jpg

Map of Aravalli Range

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-20-map-aravalli.jpg
Old 11th February 2010, 17:18   #173
BHPian

C_L. Liked this pic very much: "Farmland at the foot of the hills". Looks like taken from an aircraft! Wonderful view!
Old 11th February 2010, 18:53   #174
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Vandalism is a crime. These morons need to watch Lage Raho Munnabhai again I guess. distubed to see those photos of salivary paintings.
Old 11th February 2010, 21:14   #175
Senior - BHPian

A tutorial on Rajasthani traditional paintings....

After spending a little more than an hour to see the Sajjangarh Palace, we decided to return back to the city. We left the palace by 1.30 pm and on the recommendation of our guide, decided to visit a Rajasthani art school by the name Real Art School en-route. This was one of the best known art schools and gallery.

We drove through the numerous hairpin bends and finally exited the wildlife sanctuary by 1.50 pm.

Name:  1 Way back to the city through winding ghats.JPG
Views: 2100
Size:  139.6 KB
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-2-typical-forest-trail.jpg

Real Art School was on our right side and we parked our Chevy and went inside. We were greeted by Mr. Iqbal, who is a 28 year veteran. He was very happy to see our genuine interest in the artwork and started the tutorial in earnest! I will take the explanation forward with the help of the numerous pics that I captured. I hope you enjoy this tutorial!!!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-3-real-school.jpg

Influenced by the surroundings, Rajasthani paintings depicts themes like the hills and valleys, deserts, palaces and forts, gardens, court scenes, religious processions, etc. Paintings highlighting scenes from the life of Lord Krishna are the most common. The Raagamala paintings and those based on Geeta Govinda are treasures of Rajasthan.

The traditional artists of Rajasthan uses natural colors for their paintings derived from the natural sources like minerals, vegetables, precious stones, indigo, conch shells, pure gold and silver. Preparation and the mixing of colors is an elaborate process and it takes weeks, sometimes months, to get the desired results. The result of all this is that the paint never fades!!! The artists use real 24 carat gold and 100 % pure silver to make paints of the corresponding colour!!! Very fine brushes are made for different kinds of paintings. Iqbal uses brushes made out of fine hair of squirrels for his delicate work.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-4-wifey-checking-out-brush.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-5-super-fine-sharp-brush-made-out-single-hair-squirrel.jpg

We were astonished to see the precision with which Iqbal went about his work. He used a ruler to make fine lines on his painting and then used the fine brush to fill colour. It was mind blowing, seeing a real artist at work. Even the paint on the brush was taken on his hand to prevent any smudges in the painting. It was a really painstaking work!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-6-only-little-amount-paint-needed.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-7-work-mathematical-precision.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-8-precision-painting-done-drawing-lines.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-9-removing-excess-paint-brush.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-10-painting-utmost-care.jpg

An artist like Iqbal also does work on marble slabs. The intricate work was simply amazing!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-11-work-marble-slab.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-14-work-marble-slab.jpg

One painting depicting a royal couple was made with a lot of gold paint on it and it was brilliant!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-13-very-delicate-work-gold-paint.-exact-replica-sample.jpg

The earlier painting was an exact replica of this old painting on paper.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-12-sample-painting.jpg

Iqbal then showed us how they make paint from minerals and stones. Red colour paint was made by rubbing Red Oxide on a marble stone.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-15-making-red-colour-rubbing-red-oxide-stone.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-16-what-stone.jpg

Yellow paint is made from Sulphur!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-17-now-we-make-yellow-colour-sulphur-stone.jpg
Name:  18 Sulphur stone for yellow colour.JPG
Views: 1483
Size:  117.9 KB

Cobalt Blue is used for making blue colour paint.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-19-now-turn-cobalt-blue-making-blue-colour.jpg

Black paint is procured from Graphite stone.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-20-graphite-stone-black-colour.jpg

Zinc Oxide gives white paint.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-21-zinc-oxide.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-22-who-would-have-thought-stone-could-used-make-paint.jpg

Iqbal mixed blue and yellow paint to make green paint. Then he added white paint to it and got turquoise colour!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-23-mix-blue-white-we-have-turquoise.jpg

He also showed us two finished paintings, which were to be spruced up for sale.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-24-two-paintings.jpg

Then Iqbal showed us how he makes Silver and Gold paint. A silver or gold foil is placed on an acrylic plate and on top of that, a drop of liquid gum and one drop of warm water is added and is rubbed with the palm of the hand for two to three minutes, till the sheet becomes thin. A part of this thin sheet is put in a cup and a drop of warm water is added to it. After mixing for some more time, the paint is formed.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-25-silver-gold-paint-made-100-percent-pure-silver-24-carat-pure-gold.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-26-silver-gold-foil.jpg

Cobalt is ground in big marble vessel as it is one of the main colours used! Sky is an integral part of their paintings.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-27-cobalt-being-mixed-making-blue-paint.jpg

A painting done by a student.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-28-work-beginner.jpg

Iqbal’s Guru at work. He specializes in landscape paintings and commands a huge price for his work. He has more than 35 years of experience.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-29-landscape-being-painted.jpg

Iqbal then took us to the school’s art gallery. We saw some beautiful paintings on display. The cost of a normal painting in the size of an A4 size paper, depicting Lord Krishna or a King will cost Rs. 900 and a huge painting, in the size of a 32 inch LCD TV, depicting a Tiger costs around Rs. 27,000. There are some paintings which costs a couple of lakhs too!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-30-paintings-sale.jpg
Old 11th February 2010, 21:42   #176
Senior - BHPian

Hi, That is a wonderful tutorial. Such learnings make the vacations worthwhile. It broadens one's horizons

thanks for sharing..
Old 11th February 2010, 22:28   #177
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Splendid piece about the art work there. I have to plan a trip now because my wife loves such things.
Old 12th February 2010, 10:55   #178
BHPian

What an amazing art work.

These things make our trips memorable. New learning for me too and the paintings - marvelous.

CL - one question for you. Did you know about this school before hand and planned to visit it or on the way you saw it and went inside to check it out? You really have an eye for art and details.
Old 12th February 2010, 11:43   #179
BHPian

The painting part was just awesome. Never seen before how the natural paints are made.
Old 12th February 2010, 12:02   #180
BHPian

Chevy_Lover,

Very interesting info there on paintings .... The pics of the palace and surroundings from the palace were amazing .... Thanks for sharing all these ..

Srini

Most Viewed