Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2010, 22:21   #211
Senior - BHPian

Thanks KRRaj, MX6 and ElantraGT. The Squirrel is my favourite too!

We were astonished seeing the condition of some of the rooms in the Haveli. Even after employing about five security guards, they were not able to keep the place clean and free of spit! I don't know what kind of extreme steps are necessary to stop this kind of a menace!
Old 20th February 2010, 02:35   #212
Senior - BHPian

Sahelion Ki Bari

We exited Bagore Ki Haveli at 5pm and rushed to our next destination, "Sahelion Ki Bari" or "Garden of maids". This garden is said to have been made for the 48 girls, Maharana Sangram Singh II received, as part of his dowry. What a lucky man!!!

We hailed an auto rickshaw by 5.15 from the Jagdish Temple circle and negotiated a rate of Rs. 40 for the trip.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-1-sunset_enroute_to-sahelion_ki_bari.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-2-bridge_enroute_to_sahelion_ki_bari.jpg

We reached the garden after a short ride, bought tickets and entered the premises by 5.45 pm. It was already a bit dark when we entered. So we quickly captured some snaps of the fountains, statue and the pond. We did not like the place much and in my opinion, it is totally avoidable, if a visitor is hard-pressed for time!

Name:  3 Sahelion_Ki_Bari_entrance.JPG
Views: 2176
Size:  300.2 KB
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-4-sahelion_ki_bari_ticket_counter.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-5-details_of_sahelion_ki_bari.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-6-sahelion_ki_bari_garden.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-7-sahelion_ki_bari.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-8-sahelion_ki_bari_garden.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-9-sahelion_ki_bari.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-10-sahelion_ki_bari_garden.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-11-sahelion_ki_bari.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-12-sahelion_ki_bari.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-13-sahelion_ki_bari_garden_and_fountain.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-14-sahelion_ki_bari_shop_for_curios.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-15-sahelion_ki_bari_statue.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-16-sahelion_ki_bari_pond_and_fountains.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-17-sahelion_ki_bari.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-18-sahelion_ki_bari.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-19-sahelion_ki_bari_wifey_near_the_entrance.jpg

We came out of the garden and went to a shop near the entrance and bought some curios. We were also happy to witness some visitors adorning the traditional dresses and getting the photographed!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-20-sahelion_ki_bari_curios.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-21-sahelion_ki_bari_men_wearing_traditional_dresses.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-22-elephant_calf_inside_an_elephant.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-23-sahelion_ki_bari.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-24-sahelion_ki_bari_night_view.jpg

Suddenly we hear loud clapping sound and saw a bus load of tourists coming inside with a guide. We burst out laughing when we saw everyone clapping like mad!! We were totally shocked seeing this strange behaviour. Then we noticed that the fountains on the pathway, suddenly sprung to life! We wondered whether it was really the clapping that set off the fountain!

Imagine our shock, when the shop keeper asked us to look to our right! We saw the gardener switching on and controlling the fountain’s motor!!! The harder the tourists clapped, the higher the water spurted out from the ground!!! We had a hard time keeping a straight face when the tourists walked past us!

The guide had made them believe that sound controls the fountain!!! We wanted to capture a snap of those geniuses, but they went inside quickly!

After all the excitement, we got out of the garden by 7.30 pm and had tea and samosas from a restaurant nearby. The temperature dropped quickly and we were forced to cover ourselves up!

We decided to walk for sometime, before hailing an auto to go back to our hotel. We visited a small shopping complex nearby and soon came across an exhibition conducted by the Govt. of India. The artisans were from New Delhi. There was a huge collection of ornaments in metal and precious stones, marble statues and leather items. We got a great deal for most of the stuff and left the hall by 9 pm, with a heavier bag and a much lighter wallet!!!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-25-shopping_centre_near_sahelion_ki_bari.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-26-exhibition_centre.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-27-exhibition_centre_curios_for_sale.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-28-a_huge_buddha_statue.jpg
Old 20th February 2010, 11:53   #213
Senior - BHPian

Hi Chevy appreciate your photographs and you are making us see most of Udaipur.Good work but stretching upto 2am?? for uploading.
Old 20th February 2010, 12:01   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post

Imagine our shock, when the shop keeper asked us to look to our right! We saw the gardener switching on and controlling the fountain’s motor!!! The harder the tourists clapped, the higher the water spurted out from the ground!!! We had a hard time keeping a straight face when the tourists walked past us!

I couldnt help laughing when I imagine that scene. A snap of these geniuses would have been real great ;-)
Old 20th February 2010, 17:14   #215
Senior - BHPian

Some night shots of the Garden Hotel....

After visiting the exhibition, we hailed an auto rickshaw and reached our hotel after a fifteen minute ride, by 9.30 pm. We paid the driver Rs. 40 and straightaway went to have dinner from Surajpole junction. We had tasty momos, which we tried after a long time! We ordered Roomali Roti and Tandoori Chicken as parcel and returned back to our room. We had our dinner in our room as the restaurant was really small! The food was really good.

After our dinner, we got out of the hotel as I wanted to take some night shots of the Garden Hotel and the Vintage Car Museum. We had been seeing the beauty of the illuminated Garden hotel, right from the day we reached Udaipur and I was always procrastinating, the night photo shoot. Finally we got some time to capture the beauty of the palace at leisure!

We were surprised to see completely empty roads. I did not want to use my tripod and all these shots are handheld.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-1-gulab_bagh_road.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-2-gulab_bagh_road.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-3-garden_hotel.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-4-garden_hotel.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-5-gulab_bagh.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-6-vintage_car_museum.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-7-gulab_bagh_hotel.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-8-garden_palace_hotel.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-9-garden_hotel.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-10-garden_hotel.jpg

Please excuse me if the pic quality is not up to the mark!
Old 20th February 2010, 21:05   #216
Senior - BHPian

@ Gajadonga, I am happy that you are enjoying my pics. There are lots more coming up. I had a terrible time with connectivity yesterday and the uploading got over only after 2 am. Well, I have to complete this travelogue, right?

@ Raj, I just couldn't get my hands free quick enough, to click a snap of those geniuses. My belly was aching after laughing so hard and I was holding it tight!!!
Old 20th February 2010, 21:35   #217
Senior - BHPian

Hi C_L

Complete your travelogue at your time. do not be under pressure of forum members

we have been enjoying the photographs and the write ups.

slow and steady also wins the race.
Old 21st February 2010, 00:48   #218
MX6
Senior - BHPian

You have a steady hand, getting those long exposures without much of shake. I've taken shots even up to 1/4th of a second without a tripod. The bad thing is that I stopped using tripod for quite sometime now.
Old 21st February 2010, 01:05   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
You have a steady hand, getting those long exposures without much of shake. I've taken shots even up to 1/4th of a second without a tripod. The bad thing is that I stopped using tripod for quite sometime now.
You guessed it perfectly, MX6. These shots were also taken with 1/4 shutter speed and 800 ISO. I did not increase the AV though! I am very happy with the results, even though I never used flash.

May I ask why you don't use a tripod?
Old 22nd February 2010, 17:16   #220
Senior - BHPian

Day 7 – Journey to our next destination in Rajasthan….

After capturing some wonderful pics of the Garden Hotel and Vintage Car Museum, we returned back to our hotel at 11.30 pm and retired for the night. That was our last night in Udaipur. We were so happy that we could spend some quality time in such a beautiful city. We always wanted to spend more time in Rajasthan and planned to leave for our next destination, the next day.

Day 7 – Journey to our next destination in Rajasthan….

We woke up on Day 7 of our journey by 9.30 am and freshened up. We checked out of our hotel by 11.20 am. We loaded our heavy luggage in Chevy and finally were ready for the drive by 11.35 am. My Chevy’s odometer read 82,795 km. We had a huge stock of water, juices and chocolates in our cool box.

We started our journey after a short prayer to the Almighty. We got directions from an auto driver and took the road towards Sukhadia circle. We saw Lok Kala Mandal en-route and took some pics. But we did not bother going inside as we were hard-pressed for time and we wanted to reach our next destination before evening! We soon passed the Chetak Circle and continued our drive on the butter-smooth roads of Udaipur city.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-1-udaipur_city_roads.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-2-lok_kala_mandal.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-3-description_of_kala_mandal.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-4-artwork_at_kala_mandal.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-5-kala_mandal.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-6-description.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-7-chetak_maharana_prataps_faithful_horse_chetak_circle.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-8-a_street_in_udaipur.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-9-a_decorated_elephant.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-10-fruit_market.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-11-buses_parked_outside_stadium.jpg

We were cruising along the streets, when suddenly an Alto car came parallel to my Chevy from the left side and tried to take a right turn, after overtaking me from the left side. I had barely two seconds to react and before we understood what was happening, we heard a loud WHAM sound!!!

I pulled my steering completely to the right and somehow braked to a stop in the middle of the road. I was shocked at the sudden turn of events!! The Alto had also stopped in front of my car.

My wifey quickly rolled down her window glass and shouted at the guy in the Alto. She was sitting in the passenger seat and had witnessed the stupidity of the Alto’s driver firsthand! She was literally fuming at the driver! My wifey is extremely possessive about Chevy Baby and she WILL take on anyone who messes with our Chevy, in her presence!!!

I quickly got out of our car and went outside to inspect the damage. The Alto had a HUGE dent and a very deep scratch on the right side back door. The paint from the door was scraped off! Fearing the worst, I went near my Chevy to see what had happened to my headlights. Surprisingly, there was not even a single scratch on my Chevy’s body, as my crash guard had completely absorbed the impact and protected the headlight. There was a deep scratch on my crash guard, but it was nothing serious. I thanked God and was completely relieved!

The driver of the Alto had also got out of the car by then and I was shocked to see him still speaking on his Bluetooth earpiece. He was a well-dressed guy in his 40s and appeared educated! I lost my cool seeing his careless attitude!

I blasted him and asked him what his intention was, when he took a right turn after trying to cut me off! I also asked him whether he did not want to reach home in one piece! He got an earful from my wifey too and was at a loss for words. His explanation was that he had put the indicator before turning right! I told him that he must be the biggest fool in Udaipur to overtake a big vehicle from the left side and suddenly turn right!

He did not have anything else to say. I went back to my car and reached for my phone to call the Police. When I turned back, the Alto was nowhere to be seen! He had quickly left the scene as he must have realized that he did not stand a chance, if the police came!

We pulled over to the side of the road and calmed our nerves. We had a drink, relaxed for a minute and re-started our drive and soon reached Sukhadia Circle.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-12-sukhadia-circle.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-13-sukhadia-circle.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-14-sukhadia-circle.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-15-sukhadia-circle.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-16-boating_in_the_pond_in_sukhadia_circle.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-17-chevy.jpg

Sukhadia Circle commemorates the memory of Udaipur's Mohan Lal Sukhadia, one-time Chief Minister of Rajasthan and was built in 1970. There is huge fountain and a park inside the circle and a circular pond surrounds the fountain!
Old 22nd February 2010, 17:27   #221
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
You guessed it perfectly, MX6. These shots were also taken with 1/4 shutter speed and 800 ISO. I did not increase the AV though! I am very happy with the results, even though I never used flash.

May I ask why you don't use a tripod?
My one year old daughter and her other things need to be carried!
So I don't even carry my DSLR most of the times. It's mostly a point and shoot camera that my wife carries.
Sorry about the
Old 23rd February 2010, 01:02   #222
Senior - BHPian

Drive to Mount Abu....

We reached the highway towards our next destination, Mount Abu, after another 45 minutes of drive through city roads and state highways. The highway was fantastic as always. The road was deserted and I increased my cruising speed to 110 - 120 kmph.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-1.jpg

We reached the first toll plaza at 1.05 pm after covering 40 kilometres from Udaipur and paid Rs. 45. The road condition was simply awesome and we reached the second toll plaza in 50 minutes, covering 55 more kilometres. This time the toll was Rs. 40. The highway was well maintained throughout and we enjoyed our drive greatly.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-9.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-12.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-13.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-14.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-15.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-16.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-17.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-18.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-19.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-10.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-11.jpg

The scenery was breathtaking and we stopped for a short photo shoot of the fields. We loved the wonderful landscape!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-2.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-3.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-4.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-5.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-6.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-7.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-highway-mount-abu-8.jpg
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:24   #223
BHPian

Excellent Pics CL,

Good that your chevy did not damaged due to the irresponsible Alto Driver....Its difficult to control the anger at that moment, but I think you managed well...
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:22   #224
BHPian

CL : I missed this log for more than a week due to travel. But your log and photos made my weekend. The night shots without tripod are simply amazing. You must be having a good steady hand for this.

Keep it coming. Next is Mt Abu? did you try the famous Rabdi on the Abu Road station?
Old 23rd February 2010, 13:00   #225
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Advait and Sri for the appreciation.

It was difficult getting good shots of the Garden Palace without a tripod, as the shutter speed was lowered to the maximum possible limit, due to extremely low light. It was one of my first efforts in night photography, without a tripod. I guess it came out well!

Regarding local delicacies, we keep one arm distance from them, due to some past experiences. We are very careful about what and where we eat, whenever we travel.

@Sri, we were furious at the Alto guy. But there is no point in crossing the limits. He got an earfull (not abuse) from my wifey, which he is unlikely to forget for a short time. I say short time, because he was totally dumb! By the way, that was my first accident involving a car! I am happy that there was no collateral damage!

@Star, thanks. My story progresses at a steady pace. I won't be able to speed up, even if I wanted to! There are so many pics to be posted!

Coming up, our journey to Mount Abu, through some of the most beautiful terrain in the country!

Most Viewed