Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 01:17   #301
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Ok. Guess you've taken photos of the photos of Dilwara. Maybe from a postcard, some museum around there, some shops having those photos or even a guide book.
Can't think more. off late I find the colours in your photographs tending to be a bit towards artificial side.

Yes. Taking another look at many of those photos, it does look like you've taken photos of photos.

Last edited by MX6 : 6th March 2010 at 01:19.
Old 6th March 2010, 01:27   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Ok. Guess you've taken photos of the photos of Dilwara. Maybe from a postcard, some museum around there, some shops having those photos or even a guide book.
Can't think more. off late I find the colours in your photographs tending to be a bit towards artificial side.

Yes. Taking another look at many of those photos, it does look like you've taken photos of photos.
Bravo. Perfectly right answer.

These photos are taken from postcards that we bought from the temple. Since there are so many restrictions on photography inside the temple, I was adamant that I had to share some pics with the world. Dilwara has spectacular architecture and its beauty has to be shared!
Old 7th March 2010, 18:45   #303
Senior - BHPian

The Sky is God's Canvas......

We rushed to the Sunset Point by 6pm from Dilwara temple. The point was about five kilometres away. We lost our way a couple of times, but finally managed to reach the parking area of the point by 6.15 pm. We had to park our car and then walk for close to a kilometre to reach the point.

We parked our car safely and were soon accosted by a guide-cum-photographer. He offered to take great photographs of us together and showed us his album. But he dejectedly turned away when he saw my camera gear. I felt sorry for him and asked him to come along.

There were two options before us to reach the Sunset viewing point. The first option was to take a horse ride to the point and the second one was to hire a hand pushed rickshaw, which was very common in Mount Abu! We decided to take the second option for a charge of Rs. 50 for a one way ride. The rickshaw was quite small and we could barely fit in. One person was in charge of pushing the cart most of the time. But when we neared an incline, two more people appeared out of nowhere and pushed our cart uphill. The amount of effort they put in was tremendous, since we both were heavyweights!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-1-the_rickshaw_of_mount_abu.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-2-way_to_sunset_point.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-6-what_an_effort_to_push_us_uphill.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-7-way_to_sunset_point.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-8-the_famous_mount_abu_rickshaw.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-9-what_an_effort_needed_to_push_two_people.jpg

We had a Langur monkey for company most of the time. He was running helter-skelter scaring the kids and grownups alike!!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-3-langur_running_past_us.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-4-langur.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-5-langur_bolting_past_kids.jpg

After an incline uphill, there is always a gradient downhill and suddenly we picked up speed! At that time, there was only one guy controlling the cart and soon we were hurtling downhill at close to 40 kilometres per hour!!! I was so scared that I was literally screaming.

The rick guy used his rubber slippers as an improvised braking mechanism. We were bamboozled to see him skating on the tar road, holding on to our cart! Finally, he managed to stop the cart at the entrance of the point. One look at his face and I knew that he was in control throughout the run and we were safe the whole time! I felt so sad seeing his slippers that I gave him a very generous tip too. He was surprised at first, but then his expression turned to one expressing gratitude!

We trekked through some thick bushes and soon reached the viewing point. There were so many huge rocks everywhere and people could climb up those rocks to take snaps. There were some guys taking pics from a hill above us.

We were instantly transported to another world by the view of the horizon. The sky was so brilliant that we were at a loss for words. There were plenty of clouds and we couldn’t see the sun clearly. But we had nothing to complain about as the view was simply out of this world!

As I always say, ‘The Sky is God’s Canvas!!!’

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-10-beautiful_sky_at_sunset_point.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-11-beautiful_sky_at_sunset_point.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-12-beautiful_sky_at_sunset_point.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-13-beautiful_sky_at_sunset_point.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-14-beautiful_sky_at_sunset_point.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-15-beautiful_sky_at_sunset_point.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-16-beautiful_sky_at_sunset_point.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-17-beautiful_sky_at_sunset_point.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-18-beautiful_sky_at_sunset_point.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-19-beautiful_sky_at_sunset_point.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-20-beautiful_sky_at_sunset_point.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-21-thats_us.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-22-terrific_sky_scape.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-23-beautiful_sky_at_sunset_point.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-24-beautiful_sky_at_sunset_point.jpg
Old 7th March 2010, 20:33   #304
BHPian

CL,

Superb Pics ... For some time, I felt like I was looking at some pics from NASA ... ..Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures with all of us ...

MX6,
Congrats on finding the correct answer

Thanks,
Srini...
Old 7th March 2010, 21:45   #305
Senior - BHPian

Hi C_L

Pictures of you and your wife together with a backdrop of God's own Canvas are simply brilliant.

God is the greatest painter of all. No one can mix and match colors like him.

Old 7th March 2010, 22:49   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
CL,

Superb Pics ... For some time, I felt like I was looking at some pics from NASA ... ..Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures with all of us ...

MX6, Congrats on finding the correct answer

Thanks,
Srini...
Thanks Sri. That was one brilliant scene we witnessed. Frankly speaking, no words can truly express the beauty of the sky! We felt that the sky caught fire!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi C_L

Pictures of you and your wife together with a backdrop of God's own Canvas are simply brilliant.

God is the greatest painter of all. No one can mix and match colors like him.

Thanks a lot Star! These photos are priceless due to the fact that the sky scape changed every single minute!!!

Yes, God is most brilliant painter! And we were very very fortunate to witness one of HIS finest creations!
Old 7th March 2010, 23:09   #307
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Good use of the tripod, long exposure and the flash. It reminds me of the photos of sunrise in Matheran and night skyline of east london from greenwich I took.
One small suggestion. When you attempt such photos, would be good if you can wife your faces clean (there's oil due to sweat as it's end of day) and also do away with the specs. They tend to glisten in the flash.
Old 7th March 2010, 23:53   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Good use of the tripod, long exposure and the flash. It reminds me of the photos of sunrise in Matheran and night skyline of east london from greenwich I took.
One small suggestion. When you attempt such photos, would be good if you can wife your faces clean (there's oil due to sweat as it's end of day) and also do away with the specs. They tend to glisten in the flash.
Thanks MX6 for your comments and suggestions.

We were standing on top of a huge rock, in the middle of a small thicket, to capture these shots. We spent more than an hour there in freezing cold temperatures. We even removed our jackets for the snaps! So we were literally shivering! It was also pitch dark. The rock had no railing or any other protection for us. One false step and we both would have landed about 30 feet below in the valley.

The sky was very cloudy and I couldn't get a clean shot of the sun for a very long time. We stayed there with the hope that the sky might clear up. Our guide was the only living being besides us, present there, at that time!

We just wanted to get out of there after getting some snaps, as the time was already 6. 43 pm or so. We did not have a torch with us and we had a daunting task of trekking a kilometre back to our car, in near complete darkness! Not an ideal situation for a photo shoot, right??

Cleaning our faces was the last thing that came to our mind!

This was our last shot of the day!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-last_shot.jpg
Old 8th March 2010, 01:05   #309
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Look at the levels people go to capture photos.

Here's a photo of somnath temple I took in 2000. It's again the photo of my earlier photo (as I don't have a scanner).
I clambered up on the building next to the temple to get the elevation. Spoke to the Authorities and convinced them to let me on the terrace. There's no way up there and I had to literally do a rock climbing act there, from the top most floor to which stairs where available. Reason, it was sloped roof above. Hence no terrace and hence no approach route.
at 8 pm in the night, I'm standing a good 50 - 60 ft above msl. Heavy winds blowing all over in beginning april. 2 feet away is the end of the sloped terrace and below is a sheer drop on to the arabian sea.

Crazy right? But the pic was worth it. I printed a 2x3 ft photo of this, which adorned the office of the somnath trust in 2000. Don't know whether it's still there. It was a gift from my side to them, which they happily put it on show there for some time!

Sorry, this has got nothing to do with your travelogue. But your efforts brought back those memories.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-saurashtre-somanatham.jpg
Old 8th March 2010, 01:43   #310
Senior - BHPian

That's a great photo MX6! Beautiful capture!

Yes, sometimes we tend to forget everything else, when we see a good photo opportunity!
Old 9th March 2010, 16:16   #311
Senior - BHPian

Day 10 – Day for relaxation….

After capturing some amazing shots of the brilliant sky, we left from the sunset point by 6.50 pm. The sun had set and the whole hillock was enveloped by darkness. We trekked through the thick bush, trying very hard not to think about snakes or reptiles. We had to use our mobile screens as a source of light! We finally reached the tarred road after five minutes. The temperature was near freezing and we quickly covered ourselves up. There were some street lights but we had a terrible time walking, because the road was very dirty. We were very lucky that we had a guide with us and we finally reached our car by 7.20 pm. We paid our guide and also gave him a lift to the city centre.

We returned back to our hotel by 7. 40 pm and parked our car and then decided to go for dinner. We quickly freshened up and went back to the city centre and had a great dinner. We had our favourite ice creams and returned back to the hotel by 9.30 pm. We were exhausted after the trek and retired for the night by 10 pm.

Day 10 – Day for relaxation….

We woke up on day 10 of our journey by 10 am. The night was very cold and we had had a very peaceful sleep. The hotel had running hot water only till 10 am. But as a special consideration, they always gave us hot water till the time we required. We got out of our hotel by 11 am and straightway went to have our breakfast from a vegetarian restaurant. We had Idlis and Dosas and were very happy with their food and service. Their coffee was simply superb and it reminded me of the coffee we used to have from the Indian Coffee House!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-1-hotel_shanti_view_from_our_room.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-2-wifey_enjoying_her_coffee.jpg

After our breakfast, we walked to the shopping street nearby and looked around for curios and shoes for my dear wifey. We got a great deal from one shoe store and wifey bought four pairs of typical traditional footwear. The guy was a simpleton and he was more interested in our satisfaction than ripping us off!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-3-main_shopping_street.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-4-main_shopping_street.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-5-main_shopping_street-palace_in_the_background.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-6-a_shoe_shop.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-7-wifey_trying_out_a_traditional_shoe.jpg

Later that afternoon, we walked to the Tibetan Market, which was about 2 kilometres away from the city centre. There were lots of shops inside a tented area. There were also some shops opposite to the market selling jackets, trousers, jeans, etc. We browsed around a bit and got a good deal for socks and some woolens!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-8-tibetan_market.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-9-tibetan_market.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-10-tibetan_market.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-11-tibetan_market.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-12-tibetan_market_entrance.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-13-shops_outside_the_market.jpg

We decided to have ice creams after the shopping and saw a huge stallion near the market. He was a majestic animal and was easily over six and a half feet tall!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-14-wifey_enjoying_her_icecream_near_that_huge_horse.jpg

We returned back to the city by 3 pm. We were quite tired but couldn’t stop ourselves from doing some more shopping. We saw a shop with so many decorative items and bought some chains and curios.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-15-what_a_colourful_shop.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-16-a_shop_in_mount_abu.jpg

We then bought some masala groundnuts and were thrilled to find poppins sweets in the stall. We had sweet memories of having poppins during our younger years! We thought that there was no production of the sweet and it was a surprise finding that sweet, 2500 kilometres away from home!!!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-17-wifey_is_so_happy_to_see_poppins.jpg

We returned back to our hotel and rested for some time. We had a big drive ahead of us the next day and we wanted to be totally relaxed and fresh, when I took the wheels.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-18-city_centre.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-19-beautiful_sky_and_palms.jpg
Old 9th March 2010, 16:24   #312
MX6
Senior - BHPian

big happiness lies in finding small pleasures of childhood at unexpected places. When you are transported to memories of childhood, you are filled with an inexplicable happines. I noticed that the cheerness level in your wife was going up in recent photos. Now I get the reason. Poppins!
Old 9th March 2010, 17:00   #313
Senior - BHPian

I still remember Ramu & Shyamu telling us about the difference between the authentic POPPINS and fake/duplicate ones.

Did you check whether these were indeed authentic ones ?

one way was to check the labeling, second one was to check whether you will end up with stomach ache ?

Old 9th March 2010, 19:53   #314
Team-BHP Support

Big moments get washed away in the heat of the moment, but they are the small ones which stand the test of time. Nice snaps there. As I told you, I am re-living through your snaps. I have only dusty old black and whites !
Old 10th March 2010, 11:40   #315
Senior - BHPian

@Ampere, thanks friend. I will be very happy if you are able to replace the old, dusty, black and white memories, with my new coloured ones! I hope I did justice to the beauty of Rajasthan! And no one better to comment on them, than the person who has spent 13 long years in that majestic land!!

@Star, the sweet was an authentic one. Thankfully, we did not find it out the hard way!

@MX6, seeing that sweet brought back a flood of memories of our childhood, when we used to have it almost everyday. My wifey had a big grin pasted on her face for the rest of the evening! And yes, we stocked up poppins, before we left!!

Most Viewed