Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 19:25   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
Chevy_lover, I was enjoying the pics and narration....have a query, is the hotel parking beside the road ?

Thanks,
Srini
Yes Sri. Most of the hotels in Udaipur have open, but guarded parking. Even Hotel Florence, with a tariff of Rs. 2200+ has parking on the roadside. But it is absolutely safe! If you go to Hotel Garden, you can get closed parking inside its premises.
Old 25th January 2010, 23:27   #77
BHPian

Thank CL for your prompt reply....Hope we will get more updates and pics for the log .... tomorrow :-)
Old 26th January 2010, 17:40   #78
Senior - BHPian

Meeting with Mr. Rajesh....

After spending some hours, admiring the beauty of Pichola and the many lake palaces in it, we decided to go for a camel ride. There was a camel handler right near the lake. We went to the handler, Yash, and enquired about the rates and settled on a small half trip around Dudh Talai. Dudh Talai is a pretty pond on the southeast side of Lake Pichola. Now it is fondly called ‘Dhobi Ghat’ by the locals, as it is used predominantly to wash clothes.

Soon we found ourselves face to face with our ride for the next half an hour. The Camel’s name was Rajesh and he was named after the famous actor Rajesh Khanna! He was very well behaved and did not even flinch once when we climbed on his back. It was a real test of his character as we both were heavyweights !!! He passed with flying colours!!

Soon we started the ride around the pond. Rajesh walked very slowly and gave us a memorable ride. It was such a nice experience! The camel-handler was a very friendly guy and he took some great snaps of us on top of Rajesh! We loved the experience!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-pichola-lake-camel-ride-2-rajesh-camel.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-pichola-lake-camel-ride-5.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-pichola-lake-camel-ride-6.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-pichola-lake-camel-ride-7.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-pichola-lake-camel-ride-8.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-pichola-lake-camel-ride-9.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-pichola-lake-camel-ride-10.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-pichola-lake-camel-ride-11.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-pichola-lake-camel-ride-12.jpg

The ride was over by 3 pm and we were famished by then. We decided to go to the city area and have lunch. The streets in that area were dotted with antique, cloth and traditional shops. It was so colourful all around and we enjoyed the scenes tremendously . We decided to have lunch in Hotel Raj Palace. We were happy to get a parking space there.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-pichola-lake-camel-ride-_-cable-cars-1.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-street-1.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-street-2.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-street-3.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-street-4.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-street-5.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-street-6.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-street-9.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-street-10.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-street-11.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-street-12.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-street-13.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-street-14.jpg

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-street-15.jpg
Old 26th January 2010, 20:07   #79
BHPian

Chevy_Lover,

Am looking forward to your description of the places you visited in Udaipur.
Did you also visit places around Udaipur, such as Haldighati, Nathdwara, Chittorgarh, Kumbhalgarh and Ranakpur?

A few points,

1. If you can, please upload an excel of your travel log - this will help others by providing data/info. on the roads, distances, petrol pumps, toilets etc., which are so essential for a trip.

2. You have posted a very large number of pics; editing will make your story crisper. Look forward to pics of Udaipur as well.

3. The yellow sticker which is required in Gujarat to be put on the right headlight ( on the right edge of the light) is to prevent the driver of the vehicle coming toward you getting dazzled by the light beam. How did you manage to procure a yellow sticker in Pune? Is it freely available in automobile shops there?

4. The pics showing camels, overloaded jeeps and buses, give a sense of deja vu to persons who have lived above the Vindhyas ( in north India) for some time; looks very familiar and may I add, very natural. I think it would be a little different for people from the south.

5. The travel logs of HVK are a source of information and inspiration to a host of t-bhpians. After going through them I am sure I won't miss a turn, anywhere!

6. You have mentioned that you drove at fairly high speeds (about 130 kmph sometimes). I am wondering how safe is it to drive at those speeds on unfamiliar roads,in Indian driving conditions, especially at dusk?
Did you face any problems?

P.S. :

1. I am to go on an Udvada -Udaipur-Haldighati/Nathdwara-Chittorgarh-Kumbhalgarh-Ranakpur-Mount Abu trip in early February. I am as excited as you on the prospect of driving on those roads and visiting Udaipur.

2.Vir Sanghvi had recently covered Udaipur in HT Cafe, wherein he reasoned that most Indians do not do Udaipur as it is deemed to be expensive. I hope more of us discover the beauty of Rajasthan. Satyajit Ray's The Golden Fortress was one one of the first films to have Rajasthan as a character in a film, as opposed to including a setting as a background for a song, as is done in most films.

Your logs will be very very useful. Please continue.

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 26th January 2010 at 20:17. Reason: Added some points
Old 26th January 2010, 23:48   #80
Senior - BHPian

Hi Issigonis,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will reveal more about the places we visited, as our story progresses.

Now coming back to your suggestions/queries.

1. There is really no need for me to post an excel file. Just refer to HVK's Leh log. You will get all the info you need.

2. There are lots of dedicated readers who ask me to post more and more pics. I post pics which are relevant to our story. Only the pics can make a reader truly understand what we experienced. So I will be posting more pics, when the story demands. You can always skip the pics, if you don't like them!

3. Thanks for the clarification on the yellow sticker. It is freely available in Pune. But you got to know where to look!!

4. Now you understand the importance of pics! If I had not posted those pics, a newbie to the north, would never understand how life is in rural India. No matter how detailed I explain, I would never be able to make a person truly understand what we saw! A pic speaks a thousand words! My friend, we took 10,000 odd pics, and some of them are real gems. I have not even started posting pics of the real Udaipur! I am sure you'll like them!

5. Yes. Follow the world famous HVK logs.

6. The speed that a person can maintain, in those roads, depends on the traffic and his/her driving skills. But I can assure you one thing. You don't need to worry about potholes!

I would strongly advice anyone to stay within his/her limits. I have been a very fast (night) driver since my biking days. So it isn't difficult for me to do 120 - 130 kmph continuously. I drive safe and fast according to the situation.

Driving at dusk and dawn is a different ball game. As I said, I always drive at night and I am used to it! I always start my long drives by 2 - 3 am. For a newbie, my advice is to stick to 60 - 80 kmph till it is completely dark or bright.

The road to Udaipur has a LOT of sharp curves. So please be extra careful. One safety tip; take sharp turns in lower gear!!!

7. I wouldn't say that Udaipur is very costly. There is something to everyone, to suit all budgets! I would say that Pune is costlier! There are rooms ranging from Rs. 400 per night to Rs. 2.15 lakh per night, available in Udaipur.
Old 27th January 2010, 11:33   #81
BHPian

Nice pictures and good narrations as usual. Please continue posting them
Old 27th January 2010, 15:40   #82
Senior - BHPian

Fateh Sagar Lake and a vegetarian dinner!!!

Hotel Raj Palace had a roof top restaurant, which was decorated in typical palatial style. We were impressed by the ambience there. It was quite cool inside and we enjoyed the terrific view from the roof top. The City palace was very near to the hotel and was a magnificent structure, dominating the Udaipur skyline!

Name:  Hotel Raj Palace 1.JPG
Views: 2918
Size:  238.9 KB
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-hotel-raj-palace-2.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-hotel-raj-palace-3.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-hotel-raj-palace-7.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-hotel-raj-palace-6-different-angles.jpg

We ordered for a typical Rajasthani style Biriyani. It was not anything to rave about. But barely enough to gratify our appetite!

After finishing our lunch, we went to the traditional shops in the street, selling different curios. We did some shopping and I must say that we got a terrific deal. Some of the traditional stuff sold there were much cheaper than Pune!

The time was close to 6 pm then and we decided to go to Fateh Sagar Lake to view the sunset. HVK sir had also recommended it highly!

We started our drive to the lake by 6.10 pm. The streets in Udaipur were very narrow and it was a very steep climb to the top. One needs to have perfect control over the clutch, as the maximum speed possible there is just under 10 kilometre per hour. We crawled forward at a snail’s pace with lots of autos and bikes honking like hell and overtaking us at every possible turn and opportunity.

We also had to be very careful about cows jaywalking in the narrow streets. We came across at least 20 cows en-route to the lake. We were flabbergasted to see that the cows cared a hoot about cars moving about and stood their ground tenaciously! We had no other option but to drive around them!

To our great relief, the roads became wide after approximately two kilometres and joined a spacious two lane main road to the lake and then to the city! We felt very pleased to be finally out of the narrow old city streets.

Soon we reached Fateh Sagar Lake, which is called the Pride of Udaipur and was made in the year 1678 by Maharana Jai Singh. The lake was very beautiful and over two kilometres long. We were treated to a magnificent sunset there. The sun played hide and seek with us because of the heavy cloud cover, but not before painting the horizon red! We were extremely lucky to see a comet in the sky! Its luminous tail lit up the sky and was stunningly gorgeous!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-fateh-sagar-lake-1.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-fateh-sagar-lake-2.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-fateh-sagar-lake-3.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-fateh-sagar-lake-4.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-fateh-sagar-lake-5.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-fateh-sagar-lake-6.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-fateh-sagar-lake-7.jpg

After the sunset, we drove to the other side of the lake, where there were lots of eateries. We were looking forward to having our favourite ice creams after a couple of days. We also had very tasty Momos and piping hot Nescafe from one of the eateries on the banks of the beautiful Fateh Sagar.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-night-1.jpg

We spent quite a lot of time enjoying the freezing cold temperature near the lake. There was also a strong breeze from the lake and we were shivering in no time. Luckily we had taken our woolens and covered ourselves well.

We decided to go back to our hotel and left the lake by 8.30 pm and reached Gulab Bagh by 9 pm. We had driven just 17 kilometres that day. We decided to have dinner from a hotel other than Hotel Chirag. A majority of the hotels in Udaipur were vegetarian. We had a tough time finding a nice restaurant and decided to walk to Suraj Pole junction. We saw a big multiplex, Ashoka there. We were stunned to see that platinum tickets for the film ‘3 Idiots’ in that theatre cost a whopping Rs. 450 per head!!!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-night-2.jpg

We were tempted to go for the movie, but eventually decided against it as our tummies were growling in displeasure!

We walked back to Gulab Bagh area and decided to have our dinner at US Pizza Corner, very near to our hotel. We reached the outlet by 10 pm and went inside without thinking twice.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-night-3.jpg

Soon a bearer came with the menu card and we were dumbfounded to see that the outlet was a pure vegetarian one! We had a tough time ordering a pizza from a vegetarian menu and finally ordered a bottle of water and a brownie.

We quickly got out of the restaurant and went to another restaurant by the name Green Chilly, and had a good vegetarian meal consisting of Naan and Paneer. We finally returned back to our hotel by 12 am. The streets of Udaipur were completely deserted by then and we greatly enjoyed the solitude.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-night-4.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-night-5.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-udaipur-night-6.jpg

We finally retired for the night by 12.20 am and had a peaceful sleep!
Old 27th January 2010, 17:47   #83
BHPian

Just got one word to say about the snaps...WOW!!
CL your narration is so good that I felt myself touring the city with you guys. I am planning a similar drive soon.
Dont worry about the comments from few of our friends regarding the no. of photos that you are posting. Keep'em coming, because Yeh Dil Maange More!!.
And I really like to appreciate Bhabhiji's efforts . Its really great that you got such an understanding and compatible better half. Eagerly awaiting your next post. Cheers!!
sami316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2010, 11:12   #84
BHPian

Hey CL, wake up, you have a travelogue to complete...i am reserving my comments for the last....that would save time for the adjectives. I have to defenitely comment " Camels are very strong!"
Old 28th January 2010, 11:31   #85
Senior - BHPian

What you haven't came back, I just came back after getting new popcorn packet and coke !! C'mmon, intermission is over

PS: Lovely pictures and narration !!
Old 28th January 2010, 11:59   #86
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, thanks for the appreciation! I am so happy that my dedication to photography has paid off.

My story will continue shortly. I am going to post some pics which will amaze you! My best shots of action photography!! So let's gear up for some action!!! Are you ready??
Old 28th January 2010, 13:57   #87
Senior - BHPian

Day 3 – Sunrise at Pichola....

Day 3 – Sunrise at Pichola!

We were very keen to take photos of the sunrise at Pichola Lake and capture the mesmerizing sight of the first rays of the sun illuminating the Jag Mandir and the Lake Palace Hotel. I love doing photography in the mornings, before the sun comes up. The light is best then! No shadows and no harsh sun rays!

With this aim in mind, we woke up at 5.45 am and quickly freshened up. We were able to leave our hotel by 6.15 am. Chevy started immediately, in the freezing cold outside, without any fuss and soon we were speeding to Pichola, through the empty streets of Udaipur. We reached Pichola at 6.30 am. It was pitch dark outside and I was able to click some good photos of Jag Mandir. The Mandir was a bit illuminated and I made the most of the opportunity. The reflection of the illumination on the water was superb.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-jag-mandir-6-am.jpg

We waited for a long time for the sun to finally come up with all its glory. Suddenly we heard a loud splash and we were astonished to see a person swimming in the Pichola. It was freezing cold near the lake and we were shivering even after wearing thermals, shawls, jackets and gloves. The temperature must have been close to 4 or 5 degree Celsius. We were so stunned seeing the man swim that we could not even utter a word! Finally, I managed to click some pics of that superhuman effort.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-swimming-pichola-6.30-am.jpg

Later we found out that the swimmer was an army man. All we could do when he came out of the water was gaze at him with our mouths wide open in amazement! Hats off to you Bro!

The sun rose shortly thereafter and we enjoyed the sight of the first rays of the sun, lighting up the Jag Mandir and Lake Palace hotel. We just stood there soaking in the beauty of the moment! The emotion we felt was something words can never expound!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-first-rays-sun-1-_-jag-mandir.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-first-rays-sun-2.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-first-rays-sun-jag-mandir-2.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-first-rays-sun.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-jag-mandir-8-am.jpg

We also got a huge bonus when we were at the Pichola. We witnessed a hot air balloon ride organized for the tourists by the Hotel Udai Vilas, a 5 Star deluxe hotel on the banks of Lake Pichola. It ranks second in the world in terms of luxury and amenities! The balloon came up to the City Palace and went back. It was a truly a mesmerizing sight!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-balloon-over-pichola.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-pichola-balloon-ride.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-pichola-balloon-ride-2.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-pichola-balloon-ride-3.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-pichola-balloon-ride-4.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-pichola-balloon-ride-5.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-balloon-_-hot-air.jpg

We got another bonanza when were photographing the sunrise and the palaces and the hotels. We saw so many beautiful birds flying past us at full speed, fishing and diving for the biscuit crumbs thrown by an elderly gentleman in the lake. The scene was simply out of this world and I managed to capture some of the birds in flight. Be aware that the time was only 6.45 am then and low light was a big factor. I still worked really hard to get some decent shots! It was one of my first efforts in action photography!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-bird-2.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-bird-4.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-bird-3.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-birds-feeding-biscuits.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-beautiful-bird.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-bird-flying-full-speed.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-bird.jpg

We spent over two hours at the Pichola enduring freezing temperatures, fully immersed in photography.

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-my-poor-frozen-wifey.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-fully-geared-action.jpg

It was one of the best experiences of the whole trip. We still remember that day fondly and it is forever etched in our hearts! We got a third bonanza when we came out of the lake. We saw an antique Jeep maintained in pristine condition. It was a truly wonderful sight to behold!

An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-antique-jeep.jpg
An Incredible Road Trip of a Lifetime to Udaipur, The Most Romantic City in the World-antique-jeep-2.jpg

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 28th January 2010 at 14:14.
Chevy_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2010, 16:51   #88
BHPian

Mmm, when you said that you had more pictures i never expected this, wonderful gives the feeling that i was there...
Old 28th January 2010, 18:00   #89
BHPian

Chevy_lover,

These are pics that one can be proud of, the sun rise over Lake Palace, the flight of the birds, the Jeep. I certainly did not want to dissuade you from posting the pics, but gently nudge you toward posting pics that I (at least) would be most interested in - the Fateh Sagar, the palaces, the mountains, the sublime and the mundane juxtaposed, as it is in life!

Nice pics.

Did you also go to visit any surrounding areas?

Regards
Old 28th January 2010, 18:20   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Chevy_lover,

These are pics that one can be proud of, the sun rise over Lake Palace, the flight of the birds, the Jeep. I certainly did not want to dissuade you from posting the pics, but gently nudge you toward posting pics that I (at least) would be most interested in - the Fateh Sagar, the palaces, the mountains, the sublime and the mundane juxtaposed, as it is in life!

Nice pics.

Did you also go to visit any surrounding areas?

Regards
Thank you friend. I am happy that you liked my pics. I have to write my story in my own pace. I cannot hurry up and post the interesting pics first. My story progresses on a day to day basis. So the pics will also be posted accordingly. Thanks for your patience!

Well, I am very proud of my pics. They will always be close to my heart.

@Majic, thanks friend. Let me tell you something. When I post some of my pics later on, as the story progresses, some of these pics will seem amateur before them. The best and the superb ones are yet to come!

Most Viewed