Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2010, 12:32   #16
BHPian

Enjoyed your post and photos. Brave of you to take your 1 year old daughter on such a long journey. I also took my 1 year old daughter from Chennai to Goa and back about 2000kms last August. But it was not pleasent for me as she was cranky in the car.

Keep updating photos and posts. Looking forward to reading them.
Old 1st February 2010, 13:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Good pictures.The temple in Murdeshwar was good.Good to hear that from road from Ankola to Udupi is good.
Old 1st February 2010, 14:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to the courage. Traveling this much with a 1 year old baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Islands in Sowparnika. Very idyllic spot. Been there sometime in 1997 last. The climax scenes of Kannada movie Panchama veda was shot there. One of my close friends even played an extra in that movie.

Attachment 278744
Marvelous. Is this place near Kollur? How does one reach here, from Kollur/Kundapura?
Old 1st February 2010, 15:14   #19
BHPian

MX6. I am deeply glued to your travelogue. Yes, it was a brave trip. I am looking forward to route details on that route. What to say about those magnificent pics! Keep them coming friend.
Old 1st February 2010, 22:23   #20
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@Longdrivelover, @Gajadonga: Thanks for your kind words.
@sbraj: Maravanthe is 50 kms from udupi and 10 kms from kundapura. It's bang on NH17. There are still islands in sowparnika that doesn't have electricity, telephone facilities. It transports you to a bygone era. There's one village on the other side of sowparnika near maravanthe. It is home to a famous Prakash and a more famous Deepika. Yes, the village name is Padukone.
@sameer: A lot of planning went in this. I started sensitizing my baby for long drives in a car seat from when she was 5 months old. We started from 150 kms and went all the way to 400 kms a day. I also planned in such a way that I do a bulk of driving when she's asleep. Helps a lot. planned breaks co-inciding with her feeding time helped her unwind and tire. Above all, my wife kept her engaged with books and toys. If situation goes completely out of hand she watches her fav Jungle book or an old Tamil classic "Thillana Mohanambal" that quietens her for the next hour. You may want to try find what keeps your kid occupied and recreate the environment during your drives. Also the in car bottle warmer is a big blessing as we could always give her warm milk.
@Elantra: The story takes lot's of turns as I trace village life and unexpected visitors. Thanks for your active interest. Keep watching this space.
@Aargee: Thanks for your words of inspiration and your support in visiting this thread time and again!

Over to Udupi which was gearing up for Paryaya. A new addition to their temple was the Navaratna Theru (the temple car studded with 9 precious stones varieties). Here's photos of Udupi.
Old 1st February 2010, 23:18   #21
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The Charm of udupi is that it blends the old world remarkably with the modern. Steeped in tradition is the epicentre of Udupi, the Madhwa teertha and it's 100 metre radius. Move 5 kms to east, you hit the international educational town of Manipal. 5 kms west you hit the fishing village of malpe opening out to idyllic beaches. Legend has it that a special consignment from Gujarat was held up due to a storm off Malpe centuries back, to be retrieved by the pontiff of Dwaitha who set up the Madhwa matha, known better as Madhwacharya. The consignment were idols of Krishna and Balarama. Balarama is found now in Vadabandeshwara near Malpe and Krishna is housed in the Krishna matha.
The night was colourful and I ventured off home to catch up with the daily car festival where Krishna goes around the car street in his new Navaratna Theru (Temple car studded with the 9 precious gems).
The photos will speak the rest.

Tradition oozes right from the Rangoli
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-rangoli.jpg

Old homes have cats!
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-cat.jpg

Madhwa theertha. The epicentre of Dwaita philosophy
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-madhwa-teertha.jpg

Kanaka Gopura. Built over the Kanakana Kindi. The lord turned to see Kanakadasa.
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-kanaka-gopura-1.jpg

Family in front of the main entrance to the Krishna Matha
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-main-entrance.jpg

Car Street ready for the procession of Krishna
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-car-street.jpg

Here come the Thattirayas
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-thattiraya.jpg

Makeway for Krishna bellows the temple elephant
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-elephant.jpg

Here starts the procession
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-procession-1.jpg

Camphor burning bright, as Krishna waits
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-procession-2.jpg

Krishna rides the Navaratna Theru in all it's granduer
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-navaratna-theru.jpg

Fireworks mark His arrival
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-fireworks.jpg

As the Acharyas march leading the Lord
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-swamiji.jpg

Re-iterates that Faith is universal. One of the many european followers.
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-universal.jpg

Festivities augurs good sales
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-shops-1.jpg
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-shops-2.jpg

A close up of the temple car
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-navaratna-theru-2.jpg

Another day done. Krishna took a ride around showering his blessings. I retire to my home. It's important eve. The next day marked the Star birthday of my little one.
Old 1st February 2010, 23:34   #22
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Here's a video of the Navaratna Ratha of Udupi in all it's grandeur. Krishna rides majestic!
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:05   #23
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes, I did meet one fellow BHPian in Udupi who rolled down upon seeing my T-BHP stickers and asked my handle. His was something like AK something. My memory is poor. This was on 26th ot 27th of dec. This happened right outside Woodlands hotel in Udupi. If the person I saw reads this, please identify yourself!
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:29   #24
BHPian

Excellent travelogue and pics.. I would like to know hoe Ikon behaved oevrall. I own a Ikon and looking to do the trip to managalore in near future.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:48   #25
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_3306 View Post
Excellent travelogue and pics.. I would like to know hoe Ikon behaved oevrall. I own a Ikon and looking to do the trip to managalore in near future.
The Ikon was flawless. It gave me an impressive mileage of close to 15 kmpl the whole trip. I had brand new tyres before I embarked on this trip. Got the car checked inside out. My mechanic did a comprehensive check and service (I don't go to Ford A**) and got it to top condition. I use just regular petrol (Bharat) with system G. 80% of roads were excellent and I was light footed except between karur and Tirunelveli. It was just amazing.

BTW, thanks for your motivating comments!
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

@MX6
This travelogue is shaping up fantastically, I am glued to it now! Hats off to you for planning the drive in such meticulous detail.
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:10   #27
BHPian

Oh, What a great trip!! You were in udupi during pariyaya festival, colorful and marvelous. Waiting to read more.
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Off topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
an old Tamil classic "Thillana Mohanambal" that quietens her for the next hour.
Does the dance parts hold her attention? If so, get her to study dancing!

By the way, the heroine Padmini is from my place, one third of the famous Travancore sisters - Lalitha, Padmini, Ragini.
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Off topic:

By the way, the heroine Padmini is from my place, one third of the famous Travancore sisters - Lalitha, Padmini, Ragini.
One of the most famous families from Alapuzha! Ragini's husband used to live in TVM, been there to her house. Shobana is their neice.
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:30   #30
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
@MX6
This travelogue is shaping up fantastically, I am glued to it now! Hats off to you for planning the drive in such meticulous detail.
Thanks for your kind words Gansan. The planning started very early. Still I missed out on many things which I'd put up as the travelogue unfolds. HVK's advice and Blogs helped me with all the planning. This wouldn't have been possible without HVK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
One of the most famous families from Alapuzha! Ragini's husband used to live in TVM, been there to her house. Shobana is their neice.
Though it's OT, I'm damn happy to see HVK's comment on my travelogue. It's like what they say in Tamil "Vashishtar Vaayal Brahmarishi" (translates to being conferred Brahmarishi status from Vashishta himself - Vishwamitra's tale) Once again sir. All this was possible due to your experience being shared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Off topic:

She's rooted to classical music and dance. That's the way I'm bringing her up. She's been listening to 24 x 7 classical music since she her Abhimanyu days (6 months before birth)! We don't have tv connection at home. She watches old classics on tv. Every day there's a re-run of Thillana mohanambal. My 7 year old neice is a fanatic. We've not told my neice yet that Padmini is no more. I had World space radio at home hooked to my home theater that gave 24 x 7 classical music. It's a sad thing that there's no more worldspace radio in India. Company shut shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Oh, What a great trip!! You were in udupi during pariyaya festival, colorful and marvelous. Waiting to read more.
Thanks Funda2max. I was there in Udupi during the run up to Paryaya. I left Udupi on 30th. Keep looking at the travelogue to see more.

Once again, thanks all for leaving words of encouragement!
HVK. You made my day.

Most Viewed