Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2010, 09:36   #16
BHPian

Thanks MX6 and Abhi.

We had our lunch break at Hotel Golden Park (about 5 kms after crossing Maldah Town on the left side of NH34 towards Siliguri). Excellent hotel, good food, barfacility is available but not utilized by us as we remember the warning: Dont mix drinking and driving.

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-511.jpg

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-512.jpg

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-514.jpg
After lunch we ewrw cruising towards Siliguri when suddenly a white amby rushed towards us from the opposite direction, trying to overtake a truck which in turn was overtaking another, so in all three vehicles were running towards us blocking the entire road (without any divider). Suman was quick enough to stop and bring our i-10 down from the tarmac to the side. The Amby almost passed inches away from us at breakneck speed. Ohhh.....Narrowly missed.

Got a few snaps of the setting sun on the way from the moving car.

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-034.jpg

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-035.jpg

We took a break at Raiganj as we were running low on fuel. Topped up the tank, exchanged the driving seat and off again on our crusade.

After reaching Dalkhola at about 5.45 pm, we had to take a right turn and got the 4 laned NH31 (part of the GQ), the obtuse angle of the speedometer intensified further. Everything went perfectly allright until we reached a place called 'Kalagach' - meaning banana tree !! The road construction was undertaken (as part of 4 laning the NH) in full swing, and to our horror, we got stuck up in a traffic jam for nearly an hour . We were feeling lost among hundreds of monster trucks. We tried to negotiate our way to byepass the jam using anothr road that runs parallel to the NH as informed by come locals. However we were thankful to a local youth who warned us not to use that road as it becomes unsafe after dark.

I called up my freind Chandan in Siliguri to make arrangement in a decent hotel, and he quickly sprung into action. We reached Siliguri and he was there on his bike braving the biting cold near Darjeeling More to guide us to the hotel at about 9 pm. He also arranged a covered parking for our cute car so that it remains safe. He also took us to his home for a nice dinner. Rightly said, friends are there in every difficult times. The best part was that he and his wife immediately decided to join us after 2 days in Murti. Cheers Chandan!!!!!!!
Old 11th February 2010, 10:02   #17
BHPian

31 Jan 2010 Sunday 9.15 am

We got up a little late this morning as we were a bit tired of the long journey. However got ready and got out at about 9.15 am. On the way we stopped to get some snacks for us and snacks (battery) for Sumans camera and flashlight.

Got these snaps of Siliguri in the morning

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-043.jpg

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-044.jpg

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-045.jpg

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-046.jpg

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-047.jpg

Soon we were cruising ahead on Sevoke road, estremely well maintained road, the greenery arround was asking us to stop for a while and take the fresh air that we usually do not get back in our city. Compelled by it, we had to stop for a few more snap.

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-048.jpg
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-049.jpg
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-050.jpg
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-055.jpg
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-056.jpg
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-057.jpg

Again after a few kms, we were compelled to stop, this time by a fleet of monkeys, waiting for passing by cars to have some food. we offered them some bananas and peanuts and they were happy to give us some nice poses.

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-059.jpg
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-060.jpg
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-062.jpg
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-064.jpg
Old 11th February 2010, 10:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Do you have any info on how much the Golden Park Hotel in Maldah costs? I presume that the hotel is after the bypass ends - on NH34 itself, north of the town.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Starting from Kolkatta at 6am and reaching Silguri by 9pm it is ok as the roads are not that good.When I had travelled to Silguri I took the same road as you have taken I started from Kolkatta at 3am reached Silguri 6pm.The steel bridge you mentioned was unique while going from kolkatta I missed as as I was behind a lorry and followed him so went from the other road while coming back from Silguri I was driving in the night and I crossed this bridge as there was no traffic.You made me nostalgic Shantanu
Old 11th February 2010, 11:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Do you have any info on how much the Golden Park Hotel in Maldah costs? I presume that the hotel is after the bypass ends - on NH34 itself, north of the town.
Yes the Hotel is on the northern end of the town, approximately 5 kms after you cross Maldah town, and on the NH34 itself, left hand side while going towards Siliguri. You can have more info of the hotel in the site www.hotelgoldenpark.com. If I'm allowed to discuss prices (I'm very new to this forum) it is 1.5k / night for double bed room, 1.2k for single bedded. It is the perhaps last decent hotel in this route before reaching Siliguri.

Thanks Gajadonga for your comments. We would have reached earlier, thanks to the traffic Jam (wasted 1 hour), took too many breaks (photo shoots), coupled with lunch break and refuelling stops. ohh yes, we started at 7 actually, 6am-7am was the temple trip at Dakshineshwar.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th February 2010 at 21:59. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 11th February 2010, 12:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Great going shantanu.........those overtaking incidents are pretty common on the state highways which does not have dividers. I had one such incident with an alto fellow overtaking on curve, i should have stopped that guy and gave a lesson on why you should not overtake on blind curves
Old 11th February 2010, 14:49   #22
BHPian

Soon we started riding uphill.

We then stopped for offering our prayers at Sevoke Kalibari located just about 10 kms before Coronation bridge. Some pics there and some of gorgeous Teesta. Located a lots of pigeons in the temple compound.

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-073.jpg

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-072.jpg

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-077.jpg

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-084.jpg

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-086.jpg

And the Coronation Bridge (I got a better view while returning from the view point)

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-082.jpg
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-088.jpg

Soon we crossed Odla bari, Malbazar and reached Chalsa. Some pics

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-091.jpg
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-094.jpg

From Chalsa we took a right turn towards Lataguri. From this point Murti was about 7-8 kms. We saw a signboard of Gorumara Jungle Camp at about 5 kms from Chalsa. Stopped there again for some pics.

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-096.jpg
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-098.jpg
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-100_1442.jpg
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-100_1444.jpg
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-101.jpg

Then we drove straight ignoring the call of Gorumara Jungle Camp another about a kilometer and took a left diversion towards Murti resort (no signboards though, took the help of maps and asked a local. Have to be careful enough not to miss this else one will go straight towards Lataguri)

And then reached the destination Murti Banani at 12.35 noon, checked in to our cottage.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-078.jpg  

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-089.jpg  

Old 11th February 2010, 15:35   #23
BHPian

Seriously Motomaverick, people should have the least driving etiquettes of carefully overtaking on an undivided Highway. Thanks for your comments.

However continuing on my part of the story...We drove to our cottage, parked there, freshened up, took a great lunch (I informed my check in time on phone after I started from Sevoke Road) which was ready for us.

After consulting with the Manager of Banani Resort Mr. Chakraborty, we decided to go to Jhalong and Bindu. Started at about 2.30 pm. We came out of the resort, turned left and crossed the Murti river bridge arrived at a four point crossing, took left, reached Khunia more, went straight towards Jhalong. Some pics of this trip.

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-115.jpg
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-116.jpg

A railway crossing on way. This is the NJP-Alipurduar-Guwahati line.

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-118.jpg

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-120.jpg

Gate of Chapramari Wildlife Sanctuary on the way towards Jhalong/Bindu

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-121.jpg

Milestone showing the distance of Jaldhaka

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-123.jpg

A Bridge just about 1-2 km before entering Jhalong Bazar.

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-127.jpg

Could not go beyond Jhalong bazar as it was getting dark and we had to return back.

Waiting at the railway crossing while returning. Seriously we were in fact whishing that the gate to be closed so that we could see a train pass thru (our wish came true)

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-130.jpg

Warning signboard at the level crossing for train driver I suppose.

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-133.jpg

Got some good sunset pics
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-137.jpg  

Old 11th February 2010, 16:22   #24
MX6
Senior - BHPian

115.jpg is bewitching. Nice glorious view there. takes me back to my Darjeeling and Gangtok visit (crossing the teesta), in 1991. Good photo there.
Old 11th February 2010, 17:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Very nice roads! Looks like they have repaired all the roads from Sevoke to Chalasa too.
Old 11th February 2010, 21:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
115.jpg is bewitching. Nice glorious view there. takes me back to my Darjeeling and Gangtok visit (crossing the teesta), in 1991. Good photo there.
Thanks for the comments

Yes the roars were good throughout excepting a few places.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th February 2010 at 22:00. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 11th February 2010, 22:30   #27
BHPian

1 Feb 2010 Monday.

We had plans to visit Gorumara NP today and that exitement woke us up early in the morning. We had hired a local car (Maruti Omni) from the resort (taking cues from posts of 1100D-thanks to you, we never risked to take our i-10, to test its endurance against a mighty elephant or a bison) and checked the reverse gear (should ever we need in emergency) . We started at arround 5.45 am from our resort and collected our tickets with help of our guide Govinda. The driver of the omni Sajid was also very friendly with us.

It was a misty morning and we were having little hope of sighting anything due to the mist.

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-141.jpg

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-149.jpg

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-dooars.jpg

We entered the forest and immediately came across some peacocks, took some snaps but came blurred. We were taken to Jatraprasad watchtower (named after the famous elephant of forest department). and had a time of about an hour to spend there. Our guide showed many peacocks perched on top of trees (they come down after sunrays hit the ground and the mist cover lessens). Nothing could be seen from there so started clicking some pics of the area.
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-148.jpg

Sun is just rising above the horizon
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-150.jpg

Suddenly there was a murmer among the tourist, we rushed to the corner of the tower and yessssss!!! Sighted a Rhino behind a bush.
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-151.jpg

The sun started smiling slowly
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-160.jpg

The vision was clear now, we could see an elephant carrying forest personnel going for an inspection around the salt pit.
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-163.jpg

And yes this time the view the Rhino clearly
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-166.jpg

And some deers grazing
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-100_1541.jpg

Suman noticed a little movements in the bushes just beside the watch tower and called me, I couldn't locate anything as I was more interested to see the Rhino. Suddenly our guide standing on the road in front of the watch tower called us by making hand signal. We rushed there to find a lone bison just coming out of the bush, ohh, what a beauty it was, suddenly another car that was coming to the watchtower came close to it and it jumped towards the bush and vanished within seconds. Neither me nor anyone else had a chance to take a pic, actually we were awestruck to see such a powerful animal just in few feet in front of us. The way it jumped and ran away proved its agility and power. Obviously we were cursing the oncoming car for scaring it away. Disheartened, I clicked the empty road itself.

Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-173.jpg

But who knew, we had more surprises awaiting us on our way.
Old 12th February 2010, 00:27   #28
BHPian

Awesome snaps. Let the photos coming..
Old 12th February 2010, 08:32   #29
BHPian

Thanks Nullrock, for your comments.

Next we were on towards another watchtower inside Gorumara 'Rhino point'.
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-189.jpg

The signboard of Rhino point.
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-180.jpg

A leopard pugmark on the concrete floor (must have come to inspect it just after the construction )
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-179.jpg

A view of the salt pit from watch tower
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-184.jpg

This is the FRH where the shooting of the movie 'Mr. & Mrs Iyer' was done.
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-186.jpg

A rescued baby elephant one and half year old, now has learnt to eat hard food of rice, dal, etc packed in banana leaf. Its was kept only on milk diet of about 35 ltrs per day when it was brought at the age of 2 months to this rescue center as it was abandoned by the group. Hope it will grow up to a full grown elephant in coming years. Best wishes to this cute baby .
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-195.jpg

Suddenly saw this barking dear grazing happily, ohh what a beauty, seems fitted with springs on its feet as the way it jumped away from us.
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-198.jpg

The approach roads to this watchtower.
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-200.jpg
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-201.jpg
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-203.jpg

And now a clear shot of a peacock. Beauty of nature. Rightly called the national bird
Kolkata to Dooars- A memorable road trip-pic-204.jpg
Old 12th February 2010, 09:19   #30
BHPian

Lovely Account, Frame by Frame.
I have Bookmarked it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks