Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 12:25   #421
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
At the secret beaches, we found serenity, tranquility, serendipity and other big words usually found in the Oxford Dictionary

In most of our trips, there is atleast one amongst us who takes lots of candid pics - from me asking for Rs. 500 from Karthic (page 27, second set, pic 4) to Jagga pulling my leg (page 28, pic 8). I couldn't have possibly recollected these little incidents between 2004 - 2010 without the pics.
I like the way you write "Karthic" Mostly I have seen people write Karthik. This looks like an astrologer had told the superstar to change the letter in his name.
Old 27th March 2010, 13:09   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Pic 8 & 9: The kutcha road to the Om Beach. A few years back, Om beach was notoriously inaccessible. One had to trek over a hill (20 mins) to get to the beach - which explains the popularity of the beach among foreign tourists.
Hi smart cat,

Is this actually a reference to kudle? I had gone to gokarna in 2006; remember walking it from the town to kudle beach (over a hill and some fields, there was no road then). We stayed there and went over to Om beach for food everyday (the way was a track over another hill). They were constructing some fancy hotel at the back of Om beach then, but I thought there was a road to Om beach.

A tip. Go to kudle beach in the monsoons. All shacks will have been torn down, and you can stay only in a few pucca houses. We were the only two in the entire beach (gets damn scary at night!).
Old 27th March 2010, 17:37   #423
Team-BHP Support

Kudle Beach. Kudle Beach. I have definitely heard that name. Are you saying this is in between Gokarna Beach and Om Beach? I don't recall seeing any beach in between - but we did the trek more than 10 years back, so don't remember much. We really wanted to see phoren girls wearing Bikini at that time, so headed straight towards Om Beach. You have any pics of Kudle Beach?

Quote:
I like the way you write "Karthic" Mostly I have seen people write Karthik.
Some say, he gets phone calls like Farhan Akhtar - his own version of Karthic Calling Karthic
Old 27th March 2010, 17:56   #424
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Some say, he gets phone calls like Farhan Akhtar - his own version of Karthic Calling Karthic
Well as long as he does not call you in those tones, you should be OK !
Old 28th March 2010, 00:02   #425
Team-BHP Support

COASTAL KARNATAKA - GOA TRIP CONTD:

Pic 1: We drive down to our secret beach near Cabo De Rama Fort. By the way, the Ferrari sticker has been put on the boot to hide lots of scratches made by kids in Bangalore. The junk that you see in this pic had been left behind by a film crew. We waited till they left the scene, then proceeded to our secret pathway to the beach.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0128.jpg

Pic 2, 3, 4 & 5: Views of the beach below, during our trek down. We were hoping that the film crew had not found the secret route to the beach. We would have been devastated if there was junk all over the place on our beloved beach.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00415.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00416.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00418.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00419.jpg

Pic 6: Great news! Our beach is C-L-E-A-N. Those jerks hadn't been down here allright.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00424.jpg

Pic 7: Both Naveen and Jagga are drunk. Naveen lies down on the beach after the not-exactly-tiring trek. Jagga told Naveen that burying oneself in sand will make him more attractive to girls. Naveen gives Jagga a go-ahead and he gets to work. Meanwhile, I stay away from the two drunk whackos and take a bath in the sea.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0150.jpg

Pic 8: Karthic takes the lady for a nice romantic walk on the beach.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0148.jpg

Pic 9: We decide to check on the progress made by Jagga in burying Naveen. We immediately understand the gravity of the problem - Naveen has a huge surface area and there is no JCB in the vicinity. I give them an idea.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0153.jpg

Pic 10: I asked them to do what dogs do to bury their favorite chew bones. I think this is what is called the "doggie style".

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0154.jpg
Old 28th March 2010, 12:02   #426
Team-BHP Support

It sure looks pristine ! Need to go there some day.
Please publish the treasure map.
Old 28th March 2010, 12:54   #427
Team-BHP Support

OK but please keep it a secret

- Get to Canacona and ask for Cabo De Rama Fort (or Kabji Rama Fort, if you are asking locals).

- The tarred road to Cabo De Rama turns to left. But instead of turning left, you go right on a rough jeep track, on an empty field. If you are not able to figure it out, ask the guy at the very small restaurant for the beach on the right hand side.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_2121.jpg

- This is how the dirt track looks like - quite bumpy.

- I'm zooming in on this section now. The dirt track has a road going left and straight. Take the one that goes left. In my little map, I have marked the place where the Palio was parked when we went there in 2006. The secret route is right next to it.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_2120.jpg

But you don't need to take the secret trekking route now. If you follow the arrow marks in the picture above, you will actually get steps down to the beach. This wasn't there in 2006, so getting down to the beach is a lot easier now.

CAUTION:

The beach is not suitable for swimming - even for experienced swimmers. Although its OK for a couple of metres (and lot of fun I might add), it is quite deep further down. And the waves are tall and extremely powerful, especially at sunset time. Since there is no chance of getting help quickly, I would not recommend venturing deep into the sea.

In 2010, we saw a couple of swimmers in the sea - but they were wearing life jackets.

Last edited by SmartCat : 28th March 2010 at 13:04.
Old 28th March 2010, 13:07   #428
Senior - BHPian

Coastal KA's are very, very beautiful; but more or less looks like beaches in Kerala.
Old 28th March 2010, 13:34   #429
MX6
Senior - BHPian

It's 4 years hence. I wouldn't be surprised if the pristine beaches are raided by commercial sharks now. That was how Murdeshwar looked 15 years back with just an old temple on a rock.
Old 28th March 2010, 14:56   #430
Team-BHP Support

The same beach, photo taken 5 months back, still as unspoilt as ever. On the right hand side of the beach, immediately after the rainy season, a stream (a small river?) empties itself into the sea.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-p1310256.jpg

As I mentioned, only difference is - now there are steps leading down to the beach.

I think such lonely beaches have limited appeal. Firangis might like it though. Most tourists want beaches with shacks, camels, watersports, people (girls in swimsuits rather), lounge chairs with umbrellas etc.
Old 28th March 2010, 15:32   #431
Team-BHP Support

Thank you sir! Will do this next year, mostly after the monsoons.
I am thinking of a Bangalore-Mangalore-Goa-Bangalore at the year end, once rains stop. I am looking out for options.
Old 28th March 2010, 18:06   #432
Team-BHP Support

I would recommend a Bangalore - Shimoga - Udupi - Murudeshwara - Gokarna (Temple & Om Beach) - Karwar - South Goa (Palolem Beach, Cabo De Rama Fort, Secret Beach) - Hubli - Bangalore circuit.

October (just after the rains) is the best season to visit coastal Karnataka & Goa. It will be green all around, and the room rates will still be quite low.

Agumbe route to Udupi will be fantastic (scenary, not the road condition) - there is nothing much in Mangalore, so you can avoid that. While coming back, take the usual Hubli route - so that you can get back to Bangalore quickly. Do lots of research on Karwar's beaches, there are many there. Devbagh Beach at Karwar is a must.
Old 29th March 2010, 00:24   #433
Team-BHP Support

COASTAL KARNATAKA - GOA TRIP CONTD:

Pic 1: I join the sand excavation too. And soon, the scene looks like a tribal dance and Naveen looks like he is about to be sacrificed.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0155.jpg

Pic 2: We might have gone a wee bit overboard with our sand excavation - it gets into Naveen's nose, ears and mouth. But our progress is good.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0160.jpg

Pic 3: Somebody cracks a joke and Naveen starts guffawing. All those stomach movements cause cracks to develop. We need more sand, people!

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0161.jpg

Pic 4 & 5: Naveen's casket is ready. Victory! But Karthic wants to make a sea mermaid out of Naveen. So he makes, umm, mammary glands - and places it on Naveen's chest.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0162.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0163.jpg

Pic 6: Naveen comes out of his casket and convinces Jagga to get the beauty treatment. Because of Kingfisher Beer Effect, Jagga agrees.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0165.jpg

Pic 7 & 8: Meanwhile, the couple get bored of burying people - and get busy with building their dream home.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00435.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc00463.jpg
Old 29th March 2010, 11:20   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Very nice pics. BTW what does Cabo de rama mean? I thought Cabo meant captain in Portuguese?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Cabo De Rama, it actually means the fort of Ram, the Hindu god. The fort is more then 500 years old. And it is believed that Ram and Sita visited this place.
Gansan ,
Seems like you missed the post by Spitfire.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:32   #435
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Gansan ,
Seems like you missed the post by Spitfire.
To add to that, Cabo in Portuguese means cape or piece of land jutting into the sea.

Translated to English it would mean Cape of Rama.

Most Viewed