Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2010, 15:29   #496
BHPian

awesome piece of writeup and precise photography what a combination , I read and followed all threads in a single day!! It was so addictive , I think I might need few writing classes for one liners from you.

Hats off to you and your friends for doing so many trips together... waiting for your more pics..
AK
Old 6th April 2010, 17:05   #497
Team-BHP Support

Thanks akaushik. Your agent47 (or is it agent27?) story is incomplete by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
The Kashi yatra bit is the most depressing. Even now I tell all my goddamn relatives that I'd have been happier in Kashi.
Sometimes, my wife agrees as well.

Irrespective of where you are from, you always get stopped before going to Kashi and drag to the altar like a sacrificial lamb!
It was depressing for me too, but for altogether different reasons. I had a tough time finding Pallavi and they expected me to leave her and go to Kashi, on foot, with that umbrella? I was wondering what would happen if my Uncle forgets to stop me from going to the Yatra.

Last edited by SmartCat : 6th April 2010 at 17:10.
Old 6th April 2010, 17:10   #498
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I was wondering what would happen if my Uncle forgets to stop me from going on the Yatra.
Instead of trying to run over your father in law, you'd have run over your uncle. That's all!
Old 6th April 2010, 18:14   #499
Team-BHP Support

Cat Did you also vanish after marriage as MX?
Or is that is coming up next?

Last edited by ampere : 6th April 2010 at 18:28.
Old 6th April 2010, 20:45   #500
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Vanish? MX6 doesn't vanish. He's here. Right here.
Old 7th April 2010, 00:24   #501
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Well, we didn't vanish as such, but went to a resort that had no cellphone reception, no landline (in our cottage), no TV and no newspaper

BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING CONTD:

Pic 1: I'm led to the Mandapa, with the garland in my hand. They somehow find two guys who are taller than me, and they put up this Dhoti. I was quite suspicious of their motive - are they planning to switch the bride at the last moment?

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0274.jpg

Pic 2 & 3: Pallavi is literally carried by her uncles to the Mandapa. I think Pallavi's uncles did not want their little Princess to soil her feet. Either that, or they knew she was a "flight risk" - there has been lots of instances of the bride running away from the Mandapa.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_6003.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_6004.jpg

Pic 4: The Dhoti goes down (Not my Dhoti, the other one), and before I can react, I'm bombarded with tiny rice projectiles from all sides. My cousins were especially brutal, aiming for my face.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_6006.jpg

Pic 5: I'm supposed to put the garland with only one hand (unlike what I had seen in the movies), because I have that "holy stick" (don't know what its called) in the other hand.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_6011.jpg

Pic 6: And then the traditional Saath Phere. In the third phere, my hands slipped a bit and I let go her hand. I quickly turned around and held her hand again - but the damage was done. Even now, whenever we have a fight, this incident comes up for discussion.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_6057.jpg

Pic 7: Next, Pallavi holds my hand and walks towards me, on these coins. Not exactly sure about this, because umm, I was busy looking at somebody when the Pujari was explaining. Any idea what this means?

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0156_1.jpg

Pic 8: And then I'm asked to tie the Mangalasutra. Unfortunately, the Mangalasutra does not come with an instruction manual - so I fumble with my hands as everybody looks on. But I remember the old adage try, try and try till you succeed.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_6069.jpg

Pic 9: Apparently, I was almost strangling her - that's why she's holding her neck in this pic. I don't remember well, but the aunt in the middle was probably yelling at me to let go!

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_6085.jpg

Pic 10: But finally, I gave up. I outsourced the job of tying the Mangalasutra - my aunts took care of it. Oddly, Pallavi was pleased with my decision - she said she could breathe freely after I took my hands off her.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_6089.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 7th April 2010 at 00:31.
Old 7th April 2010, 02:11   #502
BANNED

Hmmm....

I am kind of liking these rituals. Looks like I need to search a girl from Mangalore
Old 7th April 2010, 07:00   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks akaushik. Your agent47 (or is it agent27?) story is incomplete by the way.
O.T It was completed mate few days back check the thread. your 2 cents and a reply will work there... Starting with another one really soon!!
Old 7th April 2010, 11:18   #504
Senior - BHPian

Hi Smartcat,

your marriage photographs reminded me of my marriage with almost same rituals. Now in the 10th year, i sometimes wonder the ordeal one is put through during the marriage is a simulated version of the married life

Quote:
Well, we didn't vanish as such, but went to a resort that had no cellphone reception, no landline (in our cottage), no TV and no newspaper
we also landed in a similar place, Agatti Island (part of Lakshdeep). it is a great place.
Quote:
Pic 5: I'm supposed to put the garland with only one hand (unlike what I had seen in the movies), because I have that "holy stick" (don't know what its called) in the other hand.
it is called Bramha danda, you were a Bramhachari (bachelore) till then
after the rituals i think, that stick was taken away and rooted either in Tulasi vrindavan or in your garden.

Quote:
Pic 6: And then the traditional Saath Phere. In the third phere, my hands slipped a bit and I let go her hand. I quickly turned around and held her hand again - but the damage was done. Even now, whenever we have a fight, this incident comes up for discussion.
been there done that

Quote:
Pic 7: Next, Pallavi holds my hand and walks towards me, on these coins. Not exactly sure about this, because umm, I was busy looking at somebody when the Pujari was explaining. Any idea what this means?
It has couple of mataphorical significance

1. She is Lakshmi putri (daughter of godess Lakshmi or money), she will bring in lots of luck, wealth to you, that is why she walks on the money

2. As a husband, you have to consider her to be more valueable than money/wealth, she is on top of the wealth, same is true for her also, through thick and thin, both of you should consider each other more important than wealth.
Old 7th April 2010, 11:27   #505
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
after the rituals i think, that stick was taken away
Yeah, they took away my Brahma Danda, just when I was developing an attachment to it. I wanted to take it home with me.

Quote:
It has couple of mataphorical significance

1. She is Lakshmi putri (daughter of godess Lakshmi or money), she will bring in lots of luck, wealth to you, that is why she walks on the money

2. As a husband, you have to consider her to be more valueable than money/wealth, she is on top of the wealth, same is true for her also, through thick and thin, both of you should consider each other more important than wealth
Makes lot of sense! These customs although mostly symbolic, are very meaningful. But when the Pujari used to explain all this, my mind used to drift (like a rear wheel drive car driven hard).
Old 7th April 2010, 11:29   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, they took away my Brahma Danda, just when I was developing an attachment to it. I wanted to take it home with me.
Good that they took it away, otherwise you would have continued to focus on Bramhadanda and the result (you are expecting now) would not have come through
Old 8th April 2010, 00:23   #507
Team-BHP Support

THE BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING CONTD:

Pic 1 & 2: After tying the Mangalasutra, the Pujari goes back to reciting Sanskrit mantras. And then, we come to my favorite part of the ceremony - getting a free face and foot massage. I was already dreaming about the daily foot massages, but after marriage, I found out that the tables would be turned.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_6113.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_6109.jpg

Pic 3 & 4: And then the Pujari asked Pallavi to sit on my lap. I'm not used to sitting in the Yoga position with my legs folded, and as she sits on one leg, the other one automatically goes up. And then I whispered the most romantic words ever uttered "Um! How much do you weigh?"

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_6128.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_6132.jpg

Pic 5 & 6: The Pujari turns towards Pallavi and says something like "You will need to forget your parents from now. You are no longer their daughter. Your husband and your new house is everything to you now". And she suddenly bursts into tears.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0209.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0208.jpg

Pic 7: Since I have a pretty thick skull, I couldn't figure out why she was crying. I begin to wonder if it has got something to do with me. She had already seen all our trip photos on my laptop, and was probably wondering how she would spend the rest of her life with an oddball specimen like me? Hmm. Maybe I should NOT have shown her the Rajasthan trip photos.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc05666.jpg

Pic 8: Since I had never seen her cry, I was quite distraught too. But anyway, Pallavi quickly regains her composure and gives that wonderful smile I love so much.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-img_0210.jpg
Old 8th April 2010, 09:59   #508
BHPian

Isnt this ritual done after lunch, at the end of the wedding?

This is getting really interesting Smartcat. Great gng.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:22   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pic 5 & 6: The Pujari turns towards Pallavi and says something like "You will need to forget your parents from now. You are no longer their daughter. Your husband and your new house is everything to you now". And she suddenly bursts into tears.
I have lost count of the weddings where I have seen this scene unfold (including mine) and still it never fails to move me every time! Though girls know this right from their early years, they remain mere words to them and does not hit home - till the actual moment of leaving their parental home looms large. And they do follow the words almost entirely in letter and spirit. Think of it man, it is akin to uprooting a fully grown plant and re-planting it in a different location and different soil. The plant not only takes root, it becomes a pillar of strength for the new family too! We have to doff our hats to our better halves for this alone, if for nothing else!

And oh, before I forget, the muhurat saree is worn differently in Tambrahm weddings!

Last edited by Gansan : 8th April 2010 at 11:36.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:38   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pic 8: Since I had never seen her cry, I was quite distraught too. But anyway, Pallavi quickly regains her composure and gives that wonderful smile I love so much.

Attachment 324756
Hi Smartcat,

this photographs is the best one from your recent uploads.
the mixed emotions on the face of your better half and that on your face have been extreemly well captured

i wish that both of you take care of each other and share the continued love, affection, togetherness till the end.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks