Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:26   #676
Senior - BHPian

I'm enjoying the funny answers & comments from everyone
No flattery Smartcat, hmm, how can I prove? May be the attached pic?
100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-a1.jpg
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:18   #677
Team-BHP Support

Microsoft Outlook and Team-BHP - that's pretty much how my taskbar looks in the morning

Coming up later tonight, a sneak preview of our Munnar RoadTrip - which we went on, about 2 months after I bought the Optra.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02309.jpg
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:24   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Microsoft Outlook and Team-BHP - that's pretty much how my taskbar looks in the morning
Yes & that's why you see me active mostly; we're on a 5 years implementation project so no work for next 4 years

God!!! wouldn't like to see ME 1979 like this.
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:26   #679
Distinguished - BHPian

OMG. I remember you mentioning about one accident in which car got thrashed but luckily no one got injured in your first post of this threat. Guess its this one, waiting for more info
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:27   #680
Senior - BHPian

oops ... it hurts to look at the car.
seems like your car went under a lorry. Any casuality ??
Also I would be interested to know abt the accident repair cost for the Optra
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:43   #681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's how everybody's taskbar looks in the morning

Quote:
Coming up later tonight, a sneak preview of our Munnar RoadTrip - which we went on, about 2 months after I bought the Optra.
Thats's a bad crash. Where did this happen? As sushrutha says, this might have crashed into a truck from behind.

@Suhas: I think that incident happened in Rajasthan. This one looks like it happened on the way to Munnar.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 23rd April 2010 at 10:45.
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:44   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apr 22nd happens to be Pallavi's birthday. Apr 23rd happens to be my birthday.
Wish you a very happy birthday to BOTH of you.
Have a great year ahead.

Quote:
We drove back home after having snacks at Vaibhavi Palace (or something like that) which is on the left hand side on the Kanakapura Road.
It's not Vaibhavi palace , it's VAISHNAVI Palace, Just before Art of Living.
Ther's also Vaishnavi residency in Kanakpura road, after Metro left, towards Banshankari. This is a big hotel + MP(multi purpose) Hall
Nice place, been there many a times. I love the biryani over there.
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:34   #683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
@Suhas: I think that incident happened in Rajasthan. This one looks like it happened on the way to Munnar.
No, I guess in Rajasthan they hit a two wheeler, regarding the accident on the first page he hasnt not mentioned any place. Just that the car had to be towed away. Guess this one fits that. But yes, seems like the car hit a truck from backside. But Smartcat, enough of suspense please continue.

OT: @addyhemmige: Was going through your trekalouge just now to see if any more updates after the leech pics
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:32   #684
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That photo of the optra looks terrible. Dude. What happened? Don't tell me this is where you kill off Jagga in the script.
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:56   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Don't tell me this is where you kill off Jagga in the script.
Awesome one-liner! This is truly turning out to be a superb script. You have travelogues, trekkalogues, weddings, accidents and what not! Smartcat, Thanks so much for sharing a slice of your life with those amazingly witty write-ups and photographs. This is the 1st thread I rush to in the morning (2nd tab in the Task bar after Outlook and you never fail to keep the flow going. I hope you'll keep this alive by adding more such experiences! You have a captive audience dude!
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:00   #686
Team-BHP Support

Looks like more than Jagga, he almost killed the lead !
(I meant the Optra)

So how was the new Avatar?
Old 23rd April 2010, 20:36   #687
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
God!!! wouldn't like to see ME 1979 like this.
Aah yes. KA 04 ME 1979. Paid Rs. 3000 for this number. 04 is my birth month, 1979 is my birth year and ME stands for either "me" or Mechanical Engineer. I have a tough time remembering numbers - so Rs. 3000 on this number plate was worth the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
OMG. I remember you mentioning about one accident in which car got thrashed but luckily no one got injured in your first post of this thread.
While removing the cracked windshield, one of my friends had a tiny cut on his thumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Also I would be interested to know abt the accident repair cost for the Optra
Total damage: Rs. 1.48 Lacs
Insurance paid: Rs. 1 Lac
Friend paid Rs. 48,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Where did this happen? As sushrutha says, this might have crashed into a truck from behind.
Bus. We picked a bus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
It's not Vaibhavi palace , it's VAISHNAVI Palace,
Vaibhavi, Vaishnavi, Bhairavi all sound the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
No, I guess in Rajasthan they hit a two wheeler, regarding the accident on the first page he hasnt not mentioned any place.
Bingo. I will be having a quiz at the end of this travelogue, with exciting prizes for the winners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
That photo of the optra looks terrible. Dude. What happened? Don't tell me this is where you kill off Jagga in the script.
What? No way. But even if I kill off a main character, he will come back Om Shanti Om style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KESriram View Post
I hope you'll keep this alive by adding more such experiences!
Woaah man, I hope not this particular kind of experience - I don't like to be a crash test dummy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Looks like more than Jagga, he almost killed the lead ! (I meant the Optra)
After this incident, the Optra did a fairly troublefree 95,000 kms. All Izz Well. All Izz Well.

MUNNAR TRIP (First Attempt ) PICS

Pic 1: Those were the days when we were doing 120 - 160 km/hr on highways. Rains didn't dampen our enthusiasm, and in this case, we were doing around 120 km/hr on the Bangalore - Krishnagiri road.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02304.jpg

Pic 2: Around 20 Km before Krishnagiri, we saw a bus taking an U-turn (after putting the indicator) on the Golden Quadrilateral. My friend who was driving couldn't gauge the speed with which we were going. He first removed his foot off the accelerator, but Optra was still speeding. Then he slammed on the brakes. Since 2004 Optra didn't have ABS, the wheels locked up and we skidded on the road for what looked like eternity - and then slammed into the back of the bus.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02305.jpg

Pic 3: Inside the car, to me, it was like a 10 year old computer car game. When you slam into a something in the game, the windscreen cracks. That's exactly what we all felt sitting inside the car. Screeeeeeeeeeechhh! CRACK!! And it was like in slow motion.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02309.jpg

Pic 4: Because of the height of the bus body, the bonnet simply peeled off and broke the windshield. The A-Pillar of the Optra basically stopped the car. I would estimate the impact speed to be about 40 km/hr. The driver side airbag did not activate. That is quite logical because impact speed was low, and the chassis did not crumple (required for airbag activation). All of us were wearing seatbelts, and we felt a big "tug" - that's about it.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02310.jpg

Pic 5 & 6: We parked the car on the side of the road, while the bus completed the U-turn and parked on the other side.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02308.jpg

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02311.jpg

We admitted to the bus driver that it was our fault and paid him Rs. 1,500. The bus driver gave us a nice lecture in Tamil (which no one understood) on safe driving. We all nodded our heads like children and thanked him. A mechanic was close to the accident spot - he towed the Optra with an Ambassador all the way to Bangalore Sundaram Motors for Rs. 1,500.

The dealer took 2 months and Rs. 1.5 Lacs to repair the car. There was no engine damage - the bonnet took the hit. However, the peeling bonnet chopped off the top of the engine (a plastic piece). Sourcing that plastic piece took atleast 20 days for the dealer.

In hindsight, this accident was the best thing that could have happened to us. Had this accident not happened, we would all have died either during the Himachal Pradesh trip or the Rajasthan trip - that's how reckless we were in the beginning.

This bystander holding his own face was as devastated as I was. For me, the 2 month wait to get my car back was unbelievably painful.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-dsc02306.jpg

Lessons We Learn't After This Accident:

- Never drive on an empty stomach. We didn't have breakfast before leaving. Empty stomach reduces concentration.

- The person in the passenger seat has to watch the road too. And warn the driver about dogs, buses & trucks, old men & women trying to cross the road, suggest slowing down, keep an eye on potholes and so on.

- Driving at 160 km/hr is downright dangerous on our roads. We now drive at 90 km/hr and we still reach the destination pretty quickly (mostly with the help of aggressive gear changes). In rains, we now drive at 70 km/hr.
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:50   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Lessons We Learn't After This Accident:

- Never drive on an empty stomach. We didn't have breakfast before leaving. Empty stomach reduces concentration.

- The person in the passenger seat has to watch the road too. And warn the driver about dogs, buses & trucks, old men & women trying to cross the road, suggest slowing down, keep an eye on potholes and so on.

- Driving at 160 km/hr is downright dangerous on our roads. We now drive at 90 km/hr and we still reach the destination pretty quickly (mostly with the help of aggressive gear changes). In rains, we now drive at 70 km/hr.
Good Lessons for everyone. I agree with the 2nd point, either me or my brother do this each time we drive. Good that none of you were injured.
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:00   #689
BANNED

Quote:
Total damage: Rs. 1.48 Lacs
Insurance paid: Rs. 1 Lac
Friend paid Rs. 48,000
lol.. Good friend you have
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:18   #690
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
Good Lessons for everyone. I agree with the 2nd point, either me or my brother do this each time we drive. Good that none of you were injured.
Excellent. And point no. 3 is quite valid too. If you want go fast, go slow - but accelerate quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
lol.. Good friend you have
Well, he wrecked the car - so he offered to pay!

Most Viewed