Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2010, 11:40   #16
BHPian

DKG, You certainly captured the sense of danger, adventure, peace and tranquillity that exists in a forest or in the mountains.
Nice pics and an absolutely amazing looking Jeep!
Old 17th February 2010, 12:02   #17
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
DKG, You certainly captured the sense of danger, adventure, peace and tranquillity that exists in a forest or in the mountains.
Nice pics and an absolutely amazing looking Jeep!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Absoluetly wonderful travelogue, just got me going through all the beautiful pictures and wonderful narrations, looking out for more in the next couple of days!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Some really nice shots. I didn't know that such nice places were close to Hyd.

Your jeep does a good speed as well. Nice stuff there boss!

PS: Didnt you have a tata 207 crewcab with 4x4?

Thanks, glad you guys are enjoying this as much as I did

You know this really is the story of India. So much of India's treasure remains hidden away from public eye because all that tourism wants to hype is Rajasthan, the Taj Mahal and Kerala and Goa.

Partly its the apathy of the state governments too who simply don't realise they are slowly decimating a treasure which can draw people from around the world. Our own fellow countrymen don't know so much beauty exists in almost all our states.

For our part we need to head out with our families and explore this magnificent country. First our back yards and then perhaps other states and then perhaps outside India.

I have friends who believe unless they travel to some exotic location abroad and spend lakhs of rupees its a vacation not well spent. I guess they do have a point. A holiday in the forests of Bhadrachalam doesn't have the same "ring" at a conversation as a holiday in New Zealand.

In India the bulk of tourism by locals is temple tourism. Wildlife tourism has primarily been a foreign tourist draw and is just about slowing finding flavour with Indian families

Do please explore with your friends and families. That is what we all need to do more and more

People are worried now about the Tiger disappearing. If we don't visit our forests regularly hidden from our eyes they will eventually disappear too.

Its my earnest appeal to all who read this to visit atleast one un frequented forest reserve with permisions from the local DFO. If more and more people come in, the govt will eventually be encouraged to create facilities like guest houses and toilets etc.

This is our small role in helping save the forests. Visit them often

@ phamilyman - yes I still have the 207 single cab. Sadly its not a 4x4 and Tata don't seem to have a way of upgrading mine to 4x4, hence this Jeep.

Last edited by DKG : 17th February 2010 at 12:07.
Old 17th February 2010, 12:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

What an ideal destination when you have a legendary CJ3b! Lovely narration and pictures Sir; not to mention again, what a neat looking jeep. The silent jeeps feel so good in calm & quiet surroundings of forests and hills.
And your suggestion is something close to my heart. We recently did a weekend 800 km journey in my petrol 440 jeep to an off-beat hill+forest destination which didn't 've any other people/ creature around! Posted some pics in my jeep thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-mm-440-a.html

-regards,
Old 17th February 2010, 12:51   #19
BHPian

WOW!!those pictures are amazing, loooks like we are having several forest lovers in here, keep it coming!!! cant wait.
Old 17th February 2010, 12:55   #20
BHPian

After the refresh I see the post is complete. Oh Oh!!! Anyways we treasured those amazing sights. Hope everyone realizes the importance of Forests the same way you do.
Old 17th February 2010, 12:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Deepak Saab,

Amazing photo/ travelogue and write up, can't expect anyhting less from you.

Congratulations for using your CJ3B to its optimum, it is where it belongs, it is a beauty.

Your mother, an inspiration all of us can atleast try to emulate.

The landscapes, mountainscapes, forests and water bodies are so very well captured, they take you right into the place. Though I missed out on this trip after your invite, your photographs more than compensate for it.

About the forests,
It takes centuries for a forest to come into existance and not years or decades. We are losing them, our natural heritage at breakneck speed, not to forget their inhabitants.

Thank you for sharing and looking forward to seeing more.
Regards,
Old 17th February 2010, 13:05   #22
DKG
Senior - BHPian

We'd hit the road by 6 am sharp. Its usually dark and in no time the sun breaks cover. To see that red ball of fire rise so magnificently in rural India is an unbelievably enchanting sight

Here we are heading back to Paloncha enroute to Hyderabad where we intend visiting yet another reserve forest, Kinnersani Wildlife sanctuary and adjacent forests

When Forests beckon-img_0278.jpg

Our new host, the beat officer for Kinnersani joins us on another adventure. The crisp morning air and the gorgeous trees around us recharged our spirits in no time

When Forests beckon-img_0280.jpg

At he first bend lo and behold, a stunning lake view

When Forests beckon-img_0281.jpg

With forested islands strewn across

When Forests beckon-img_0283.jpg

A sad reminder of the filth camouflaged as human ideology. This was the once well known "Glass House" of Kinnersani project which was blasted by naxals along with six other cottages. Sad.

When Forests beckon-img_0288.jpg

Can you imagine staying in one of those cottages overlooking this stunning lake? Someday they will soon be revived

When Forests beckon-img_0289.jpg

When Forests beckon-img_0290.jpg

We enter a narrow gate onto the dam to cross over to an adjacent forest

When Forests beckon-img_0294.jpg

When Forests beckon-img_0297.jpg

When Forests beckon-img_0300.jpg

When Forests beckon-img_0302.jpg

When Forests beckon-img_0304.jpg

The dam road was wide enough just for our Jeep. The views from here were gorgeous

When Forests beckon-img_0307.jpg

We soon enter the forest area and again my wish to drive through jungle trails is fullfilled, this time BIG TIME !! I got to travel 18 kms through jungle roads. What a blast I had. I had o use 4x4 at times as some river crossing were thick with soft sand and some embankments needed that extra traction. What a drive

When Forests beckon-img_0310.jpg

When Forests beckon-img_0311.jpg

When Forests beckon-img_0314.jpg

Now doesn't the Jeep look like a black rhino from the rear? She looks so quaint and cute. So compact

When Forests beckon-img_0316.jpg

When Forests beckon-img_0317.jpg

A Koya tribal settlement

When Forests beckon-img_0321.jpg

Some of these are homes of migrant Koya tribals who have been dislocated from their homes in Chattisgarh and Orissa on account of the naxal menace. I was told many Koya tribal families whose youth had joined the initiative of the government for creation of a tibal armed force named Salva Judem were hounded out of their ancient homes by the naxals. I wonder when this naxal menace will end.

When Forests beckon-img_0326.jpg

When Forests beckon-img_0330.jpg

When Forests beckon-img_0334.jpg

When Forests beckon-img_0335.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 17th February 2010 at 14:53. Reason: as requested.
Old 17th February 2010, 13:38   #23
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Forest conservation and wildlife management is a complex subject. There are many issues involved and perhaps in another thread we can go into details about what the challenges are and what needs to be done.

But in very simple words what you and I as citizens of India can do to save our heritage is to visit these sanctuaries, reserve forests and wildlife safaris. Your presence creates transparency in what is happening in the forests.

The more you leave forest gates locked like termites the innards get eaten away.

Eco Tourism is a very powerful tool.

There are other complex issues of tribal relocation and cattle management and alternative fuel provisions etc which the government should address

Your patronage during visits by way of stay and food provides employment to tribal families.

The tribals in our forests are the true owners of these magnificent gifts of nature. If we don't help these ancient communities to thrive without plundering their old homes we invariably force them to decimate all our forest cover

Once the forest cover is gone and your herbivore population cannot be sustained is it a wonder why you have fewer and fewer tigers left each year?

I am not surprised at all.

I hope more and more people resolve to patronise wildlife tourism and visit a different forest every year and by doing so create more transparency about the condition of the forest.
Old 17th February 2010, 14:13   #24
BHPian

Enjoyed the next set of pictures and narration as well. I wish more people had the same attitude to travelling as you do DKG. I could not agree more with your post #17. Surely one of the best messages on these boards.
Old 17th February 2010, 14:26   #25
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Your mother, an inspiration all of us can atleast try to emulate.
She amazes me too! When I was planning this trip a colleague joined in and when I mentioned at home that I would be gone for three days pop comes her question:

"How many people are travelling with you in the Jeep"

"Just one more person" was my reply

"In which case I am coming too" she says

"But Mum its a 1000 km journey, wouldn't it be too much for you at this age?"

"What age? (she's 80) If you can handle the journey I can too"

I go silent

"What time do we leave?"

I smile and say "6"

"Will be ready"

Now what do you say to that Fazal !

And the crazy bit is, we come back after the trip and yesterday at dinner she says

" Its getting too boring for me at home sitting around watching TV. How soon do we head out next and where to?"

I've named her Dynamite !!

Last edited by DKG : 17th February 2010 at 14:35.
Old 17th February 2010, 14:37   #26
BHPian

Sir, your travelogue is amazingly well written. It puts out both your experiences and messages to the readers. And seeing your mom in the jeep, I should appreciate your courage, I have never taken my mom to any place that has even a slightest of risk (I'm have become too obsessive with my mom since I feel she is the most precious to me).

Hope to read many such travelogues of yours!

Have a Nice Day! :o)
Old 17th February 2010, 15:01   #27
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
And seeing your mom in the jeep, I should appreciate your courage, I have never taken my mom to any place that has even a slightest of risk
The risks are calculated. I made sure:

1. We ate on time
2. All medicines carried and given on time.
3. comfortable hotel to stay in with good food and hot showers
4. Short nap breaks during the afternoons for her
5. Forest personnel accompanying us into the jungles (they know the terrain like the back of their hand. Its best to go in with either them or a tribal)

Travelling with aging parents is almost identical to travelling with infants. You just have to make sure you cater to all their special needs

That said anything can still happen but that's life

Actually it becomes a lot easier when you have parents who have such a huge zest for life as mine do and they keep telling me " If I have to go I'd rather go up having fun !!"

I deeply admire people with a large zest for life.

Last edited by DKG : 17th February 2010 at 15:03.
Old 17th February 2010, 15:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
A sad reminder of the filth camouflaged as human ideology. This was the once well known "Glass House" of Kinnersani project which was blasted by naxals along with six other cottages. Sad.

Attachment 289621
This reminds me of the time when i visited the "Tiger Wilds" resorts in Nallamala forest around 2002-2003. AP tourism had constructed a few huts, a restaurant and a view point from where you can get a great view of the forest. Unfortunately the whole thing was destroyed by the Naxals a few weeks after our visit. Here are a few pics. Pics were taken with an old 2MP cam, so they don't look that good.

When Forests beckon-dcp_0652.jpg
Entrance to Tiger Wilds - On Hyderabad-Srisailam road

When Forests beckon-dcp_0653.jpg
Picture of forest taken from the view point

When Forests beckon-dcp_0663.jpg
Restaurant

When Forests beckon-dcp_0665.jpg
View point. That wooden base overhangs the cliff.

Last edited by highwaylover : 17th February 2010 at 15:23.
Old 17th February 2010, 15:15   #29
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaylover View Post
This reminds me of the time when i visited the "Tiger Wilds" resorts in Nallamala forest around 2001-2002. AP tourism had constructed a few huts, a restaurant and a view point from where you can get a great view of the forest. Unfortunately the whole thing was destroyed by the Naxals a few weeks after our visit. Here are a few pics. Pics were taken with an old 2MP cam, so they don't look that good.
I had visited this place on invitation of our tourism department to view the new facilities. Its sad so many of the tourism department's initiatives were scuttled by extremism. The area is known as Farahabad. The ruins of an old house you see while driving up to the view point may have been a shikar stop for the sixth Nizam from where he'd go Tiger hunting.
Old 17th February 2010, 15:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

DKG,

Nice write up and a amazing trip. I truly admire your courage to take your mother in a open top old jeep on a 300 kms + trip one side.

Speaks loads about the condition of your jeep and high spirits that you have including your mother.

I personally wouldn't dare to venture out all alone outside Chennai without assistance. Not that my jeep isnt up to the mark, but i have always some hesitation to venture out all alone. May be a mental block!

your trip is an inspiration to me to explore places even if have to go all alone!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 17th February 2010 at 15:50.

Most Viewed