Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 08:43   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Santanu
Piyali island has just one resort. They have 21 rooms. Weekends are generally crowded, so please book one week in advance. It can be booked only from the company's Calcutta booking office in Dhakuria Station Road. The person to contact for booking is Mr Pradeep Deb 9433435181. We had met the owner's wife Jonakidi for booking. Her number is 9433986365. Jonakidi is a genuinely nice person. They run this hotel more as a hobby. ......
All the best
Sudipto
Thanks Sudipto for your detailed reply and the contact numbers. Will surely call Mr. Deb or Jonakidi as soon as we are ready for the trip. Keep on posting new weekend retreats like this for us to explore.

Regards..
Old 28th February 2010, 03:57   #17
BHPian

byapok jayega ta Sudipto da...fantastic.
Old 28th February 2010, 20:04   #18
BHPian

Sudipto,

What about angling there , do they permit with your own Fishing Gear ?

one off topic , where I can buy a good 2-2.5 t hydraulic jack in kolkata ?
I want to have a spare one, the one company supplied is not fit for purpose.

Cheers
Captdey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2010, 15:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Capt Dey
I am not really sure about the angling angle and am not too sure if the ponds have big fish to catch. But it's a brilliant idea that I will give them. Meanwhile you can ask the owners directly - Jonakidi 9433986365.
The best shop in Calcutta for these things is Bhanubhai Desai opposite to Paradise Cinema on Bentinck Street. If you do not want to go that far, then there are a few shops in Bhawanipore that would also stock it.
Old 19th August 2013, 11:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Piyali Island - for a quiet weekend out of Calcutta

I have a piece of great news to share about driving to Piyali. There is now a flyover in Baruipur and you don't need to drive through the nightmare of the level crossing there.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 15:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

I am shocked to learn that there was a major burglary in this resort in the wee hours of 28th March. One tourist was injured in a gun shot.

I am glad that the girls are all unharmed and the dacoits actually fled after the tourists resisted them.

Law and order in West Bengal is fast breaking down. There is a tremendous feeling of lack of security with everyone everywhere. The little tourism industry that we have is going to collapse very soon.

This destination is/was my favourite. I hope they come out of this crisis soon.
Old 8th April 2015, 06:51   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Santanu
Piyali island has just one resort. They have 21 rooms. Weekends are generally crowded, so please book ............... that is best avoided but you can certainly go there and take a look at the river and spend some time on the bank. The view is breathtaking from there.
All the best
Sudipto
Thank you Sudipto for an excellent travel-photologue. The above post too is very useful and informative. I realize I'm a bit late in catching up with your thread (2010 and this is 2015!) but thank you all the same!

We have been recently re-discovering Kolkata and West Bengal (being probashi bengalis, and also addicted to touring, by road, for the past 20 years or so - our first mumbai>lucknow>uttaranchal>lucknow>mumbai trip was in 1995 in an Omni!), and are therefore always grateful for these small nuggets of information given by good samaritans like yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captdey View Post
Sudipto,

What about angling there , do they permit with your own Fishing Gear ?

one off topic , where I can buy a good 2-2.5 t hydraulic jack in kolkata ?
I want to have a spare one, the one company supplied is not fit for purpose.

Cheers
Thanks Capt. Dey,

I'll second that observation (about the jack, I mean), since that is one of the very few sore points I have about the Scorpio.
Also, where can I find decent fishing tackle in Kolkata? This is a recently acquired pastime (post retirement) but one that I find greatly conducive to nirvana !

Last edited by aah78 : 20th April 2015 at 18:17. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 10th April 2015, 10:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the delayed response Shashanka. In these five years nothing much has changed except that we take a different route to go to the island. One turns left from Dakshin Barasat and goes via Dhosa. It is a better route in the sense it bypasses Joynagar which can get very congested.
Old 10th April 2015, 10:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Piyali tourist lodge was in the news for all the wrong reasons . Tourists were robbed and one was shot at the lodge recently.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46739963.cms
Old 10th April 2015, 15:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

That's the subject of my post # 21 :-)
Old 12th April 2015, 09:52   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry for the delayed response Shashanka. In these five years nothing much has changed except that we take a different route to go to the island. One turns left from Dakshin Barasat and goes via Dhosa. It is a better route in the sense it bypasses Joynagar which can get very congested.
Thanks Sudipto, for the above. You come across as quite knowledgeable about the touring needs/requirements/information for places in and around Kolkata and W.Bengal. So, if we happen to need any advice/suggestions in the future we may turn to you! - I hope you won't mind.
Old 17th April 2015, 23:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Thanks Capt. Dey,

I'll second that observation (about the jack, I mean), since that is one of the very few sore points I have about the Scorpio.
Also, where can I find decent fishing tackle in Kolkata? This is a recently acquired pastime (post retirement) but one that I find greatly conducive to nirvana !
Most of my requirement regarding Hook , Stick , Bait etc I carry from abroad , but in Kolkata , the reputed shop is " Umacharan Karmakar " Located on BB Ganguly street , baithakhana bazar kolkata ( Opp. Koley Market ) Sealdah.
Captdey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 06:51   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Most of my requirement regarding Hook , Stick , Bait etc I carry from abroad , but in Kolkata , the reputed shop is " Umacharan Karmakar " Located on BB Ganguly street , baithakhana bazar kolkata ( Opp. Koley Market ) Sealdah.
Thank you, Capt. Dey, for this important bit of information. We shall look up the place next time we are in Kolkata.

And also, good day to you, Capt. Sa'b from another mariner! I'm a recently retired Marine engr (voluntarily, I may add!), having sailed for 35 yrs in blue waters (the last 10 yrs with Mitsui's car carrier fleet) and a further 6 years in offshore sailing. I was hoping to come across other folks from our fraternity in this wonderful forum and I'm sincerely happy to have made your acquaintance.

Best regards,
Shashanka
Old 19th April 2015, 14:28   #29
BHPian

Hi Shashank !
Please do visit me when you're in Kolkata next time ,
I am also in verge of Self retirement , I will PM
my mobile number to you.

Take care.
Captdey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 10:24   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Shashank !
Please do visit me when you're in Kolkata next time ,
I am also in verge of Self retirement , I will PM
my mobile number to you.

Take care.

Hi there Captdey,

Received your PM and thanks for the same! I have also sent you my mobile no. And thank you for the invite and remember - the same stands for you too, the next time you happen to be in Mumbai/Lucknow!

Cheers,
Shashanka

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks