Team-BHP - Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/76063-maldives-paradise-brink-extinction.html)

Couple of days ago i was reading about global warming and how the low lying areas of the world face extinction because of the rise in sea level. I am taking this opportunity to highlight this issue and what is at stake.

This trip is actually 2 years old. Me and wifey went to maldives in August 2007. Its a group of 1000+ islands - some as small as a football ground. The maximum height of the land is just 1 meter. Some of the islands are not in a position to be inhabited. One of the major source of revenue for them is tourism. Govt has allocated some of the islands to hotel chains for development. each hotel occupies an entire island.

The island we went to is called "Paradise Island", and it was really a paradise. It was about the size of 2-3 foot ball fields, covered with white sand and surrounded by bluish green shallow waters.

This trip costed us 70,000 for 2 people 2N3D ex:bangalore with fullboard.

A must for everyone. And hurry up because this place will most probably be submerged by 2050. Maldives govt is already busy purchasing land from SriLanka/India to relocate their people.

Trivia: Maldives and our own lakshadweep are part of the same archipelago (in simple terms - an underwater mountain !!).

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07553.jpg
Private beach for everyone.

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07625.jpg
View from the cottage.

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07620.jpg
These water bungalows were under renovation. they were destroyed by the tsunami.

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07528.jpg
You can just keep snorkeling in these waters forever. you can see so much variety of sea life.

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-2161594520052426883lrtbgn_fs.jpg
Aerial view of the island.

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-2231471230030727981njauhi_fs.jpg
Runway - When the plan lands you feel as if you the plane is going in to the water

i will post some more later.

Highway Lover: Could you post More about the tenary and accomodation and other activities you did.

Considering that you did this trip in 2007 and it costed you about 70K and i feel that i should have come down.

Sticking on to this thread for more detailed travelogue.

Yes Maldives is indeed beautiful.
To add to what you said about the islands on the brink of extinction.. I was watching a documentary last night. About some Spanish islands on situated on one large volcano. They have spotted a rift about over 2 kms long and going down into the ocean. No one knows how long it is, but it is estimated by researchers that the next volatile shift will cause this entire stretch to send the entire land into the ocean floor. The size is estimated to be 500 cubic Kms(yes, you read it right). It will cause a Tsunami of the most catastrophic proportions the world has ever seen.

Anybody interested in buying expensive real estate along the shorelines of the world ought to think of this and global warming's effects on their investments.

Some resorts are costly. You will get a good 2 bedroom place on main island for 70-80 dollar per day inclusive of buffet breakfast.

Some info/pix from my travel. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-maldives.html

Its only a 45min flight from Trivandrum.

WOW!!!! this is great stuff. I have always wanted to visit Maldives, but havent made it till date. lucky guys!!!!

Lovely Pics Highwaylover ! Maldives is truly a paradise on earth ! Very sorry to know that it might get submerged by year 2050. Already the tsunami in 2006 had created havoc there.

Maldives is my dream destination for small vacation, I wanted to go to this place in 2005 but anyhow I couldn't made that trip!

I wanted to go to Maldives, but we ended up going to andhaman for my 2004 vacation. I have to plan for 2011 to maldives.

Awesome islands Maldives and amazing pix too.
Were those teaser pics ? Post some more.

Beautiful place. Lovely blue water.
Do share more info on your trip

beautiful is the only word that can describe the photographs of maldives. i sincerely pray to god such places do not become extinct because of man's wrong doings.

lovely stuff. how could you deprive us of such as travelogue for so long.?

do post more!

We booked this tour in August 2007 with Thomas Cook. August is generally off-season, though i don't know what difference that makes. Weather is tropical and temperatures remain same throughout the year. But During Christmas and New year prices could be 2 to 3 times.

The Island we went to - Paradise island is one of the cheapest. 70,000Rs tour includes two-way return tickets for a couple from Bangalore + accommodation and all three meals for a couple for 3 days and 2 nights + Boat ride from Male airport to the island and back. Visa is on arrival and valid for a month. At that time only Indian Airlines had the direct flight.

As you can see the island is smaller than a village and surrounded by water. So to visit this place either you have to be adventurous guy or some one who just loves the peace and tranquility provided by a secluded place.

For the adventurous, there are a lot of water based activities like deep water diving, night fishing, island hopping etc. And if you are non-adventurous type then you can just eat the hundreds of varieties of food on offer and then rest by the ocean or the pool :-).

The best thing i did there was snorkeling. It was the first time i tried this activity and it was too good. Resort gives the snorkeling kits for rent. The water is so shallow, you can just keep going for half-a-kilometer in to the ocean.

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07485.jpg
Male International Airport

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07494.jpg
Male Airport to Paradise Island in the boat.

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07513.jpg
Enjoying some Italian pizza in a restaurant floating on the ocean.

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07525.jpg
I just love the colour of water here.

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07536.jpg
Water bungalows floating.

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07564.jpg
Sun showering his rays on a distant island.

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07573.jpg
Sunset at paradise Island

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07642.jpg
Snorkeling .. great to see those fishes from so close.

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07649.jpg
Maldives offers so much privacy. Can you spot even one person in the background? its as if you own the whole ocean :D

Here comes the last set.

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07523.jpg
Ocean looks like a big swimming pool.

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07630.jpg
That's me going into the ocean on water skooter. Those black patches you see in the water are the 'corals'. Resort people warn you not to touch them. I think there is a heavy fine imposed if you destroy any of these corals.

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07628.jpg
Bright sunny afternoon

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07650.jpg
Me and myself

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07665.jpg
Pathway leading from the jetty to the Island.

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07603.jpg
View from our cottage

Maldives - A Paradise on the brink of extinction-dsc07598.jpg

Good times you had there. Snorkelling indeed can be fun. I did my first snorkelling in the florida keys. We had to take a speedboat 40 - 50 mins away from land. We were so far off that the land wasn't visible. Can you imagine snorkelling in such a place in the Atlantic, with the only thing that would connect us back is a speed boat? I'll search for those pics and put them sometime.
After 2 hours of snorkelling, I decided to go underwater at deeper areas. It was real fun. The highlight was swimming with Dolphins.
I came back very tired physically and sun-burnt. But it was fun!

Some pictures are breathtaking. Thanks for sharing. Wants me to go there.
Kindly divulge some more details like tickets package travel time etc..