Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 00:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Additional note

Basically Bumping this thread up!!

What was interesting is that the car ran through a fantastic hill mileage. 373 Kms the car had done from Bagdogra to Bagdogra, it consumed 31.2 litres of black gold - 11.96 kmpl. Through bad steep roads and also half of it done with full load.

On the onward journey, between home to Farakka the car had done 371 kms (interpreting to 380kms due to tyre size correction) on 24.4 litres of fuel an amazing 15.56kmpl.

From Faraka to Bagdogra, 277kms were done with 21.8 litres - 12.7. There was 1 hour of idling at Dalkhola with AC on.

On the return, thru fog and stoppages, Bagdogra to Farakka 276 kms on 20.4 litres - again 13.6kmpl - fully loaded.

Only worse was from Farakka to home, through the crowded NH34 and Dad pushing the car against a 2.2 mHawk, then I had filled up after 2 days of office commute 383 kms on 35.6 litres, a mere 10.77kmpl. However out of 383 kms, 290 was what it took to come back home from Farakka. But then as can be seen, it was pointless, the lower distance does not translate to lower fuel or time consumed.

Overall the 5.5 yr old 1.6 litre car ran at 12.7 kmpl, highway, hills, city, jams, idling (with AC on for most parts) all inclusive.

The car's getting better with time.

Tata!!

Ikon takes us to Yangtey (in December 2009!)-img_02361.jpg
Old 11th March 2010, 11:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Amazing for a 1.6 Ikon to return a maximum of 15.56kmpl. I have a 1.3 and the maximum I have got till yet is 15.53kmpl. The car is 1 yr old now. Have read in some other travelogues, for e.g of MX6(pune to tirunalveli), that they got around 20kmpl for a 1.3 ikon. Hoping to achieve that on a planned highway run to blr. Lets see.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 11th March 2010 at 11:04. Reason: spelling
Old 11th March 2010, 13:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

@1100D,

Great photos and good narration.

5+ years old vehicle, how much has it covered so far?

And what was that Alto about!!! Looks like those guys are out to make a statement.
Old 11th March 2010, 13:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

@1100D:

Off topic.

How come you have a white on black number plate for the rear except in one picture?
Old 11th March 2010, 14:18   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

That's unheard of mileage for me:(

What was your avg speed and gear changing RPM pls?
Old 11th March 2010, 15:04   #21
Team-BHP Support

You made my day! Sikkim is as fresh as ever ! Plus an amazing train shot ! The roads parallel to Teesta are worth as many times as one can go. I had been to Sikkim not by road all the way though, but through flight till Bagdogra and a hired cab from there onwards.
Old 12th March 2010, 00:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Amazing for a 1.6 Ikon to return a maximum of 15.56kmpl. I have a 1.3 and the maximum I have got till yet is 15.53kmpl. The car is 1 yr old now. Have read in some other travelogues, for e.g of MX6(pune to tirunalveli), that they got around 20kmpl for a 1.3 ikon. Hoping to achieve that on a planned highway run to blr. Lets see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
That's unheard of mileage for me:(

What was your avg speed and gear changing RPM pls?

I wasn't particularly impressed with the 15+ figure on the first refill. Mainly because that run had everything going in favour of it. Cool atmosphere, deserted roads, light load and on top of it all, I wasn't pushing the throttle at all. I was doing on the lower end of 100 and at a fixed pace. Am not too fast a driver. Till Panagarh (150 km's away) It was very rarely that I had to loose momentum that too only at two toll booths.

What I was amazed about was the hill mileage. But more than that, the torque that was enabling me to climb up steep slopes in second gear. Driving entire uphill in third and fourth was fabulous. Yet, for high 2nd and 3rd gear usage, the car return such figures was surprising. Did not involve much AC usage though. But for the first half of the trip the car was going light. Usually on all our trips our car is packed up.

Yes, we need something bigger soon, but then this one keeps the family close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
@1100D,

Great photos and good narration.

5+ years old vehicle, how much has it covered so far?

And what was that Alto about!!! Looks like those guys are out to make a statement.
That is a taxi, must be owned by 4 friends, waiting for passengers. They have to have yellow somewhere on the taxi and this guy decided to impress with his imprezza (er Alto).

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
@1100D:

Off topic.

How come you have a white on black number plate for the rear except in one picture?
White number plate : Last year picture
Black number plate : this year (actually an older plate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You made my day! Sikkim is as fresh as ever ! Plus an amazing train shot ! The roads parallel to Teesta are worth as many times as one can go. I had been to Sikkim not by road all the way though, but through flight till Bagdogra and a hired cab from there onwards.
Yes roads at that part of the world, fabulous, whatever be the surface conditions, doesn't matter. Be it the road beside Teesta, or the hIll cart road or the Pankhabari road, or even going eastwards towards the forests of Lataguri, absolutely mesmerising. Where else?!

Last edited by 1100D : 12th March 2010 at 00:12.
Old 24th March 2010, 13:54   #23
BHPian

There are two things I loved about this Trip. The fact that I was there while it was being planned, almost impossible to get the whole family together on a common holiday, the determination to make it happen. And the fact that it avoided the Gangtok, Changu trail which we have seen and read about a zillion times. The Government of Sillim should actually put this travelogue on their official websites, places like Yuksom and Yangte are sure to witness more Tourists. Doesnt really sound like a good idea, but hey, more the revenue, better the Upkeep, hopefully. Thanks Anirban .. wonderfull storytelling.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:02   #24

Hi Anirban,

I am a new member on this forum, though have been following it for long. Am planning a similar trip to Sikkim with my family in our Ikon 1.4 TDCI from 01 Jun 10. Need a few inputs to decide on the route : -
(a) Difference between both the routes (Panagarh and Behrampore) in terms of distance, quality and traffic (your suggestion out of your experience solicited).
(b) Total driving time on road (intend to put up at Sivoke Cantonment).
(c) Any special requirements/ preparations for the car.

Could you also throw some light on the road to rabongla from gangtok, in case you have some experience/ knowledge? I intend to drive to the following places:-

Kolkata (ballygunge) - Siliguri (Sivoke) - Kalimpong - Gangtok - Rabongla - Siliguri - Kolkata

Regards

Lt Cdr Aparnesh Mitra
Old 24th May 2010, 18:26   #25
BHPian

Hi there Anirban!

Didn't see this report earlier, just saw it a short while ago as it got bumped up by the previous query!

Very nice travel report with excellent photos.

You have really put the Ikon through its paces: good roads, bad roads, no roads, rocks, steep climbs, steep descents and hairpins, all in one trip; and it seems to have delivered the goods without any hassle. Some of the "roads" you have photographed would have tested any vehicle's build quality.

The photos of Kanchenjunga lit by the rising sun are very, very nice. So also the lovely scenic shots along the mountains and rivers.

So happy to see another fellow iKon being used lovingly. A few questions about your car:

1) Have you changed the rear tail lamp assemblies? They look like the new ones.
2) No mud flaps?
3) I see you have Good Year tyres. I have Bridgestone S322, the same that came first with the car. I bought the same Bridgestone when I made the first change. How are the Good Years, do you recommend them over the Bridgestones? They appear broader than my tyres, what size are they?

and finally, did your Dad have a "duel" with an MHawk?

Very nice travelogue from both car and travel perspectives, enjoyed it.

Regards
Damu
Old 1st August 2010, 01:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Its been a while I checked back on this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzire2Travel View Post
There are two things I loved about this Trip. The fact that I was there while it was being planned, almost impossible to get the whole family together on a common holiday, the determination to make it happen. And the fact that it avoided the Gangtok, Changu trail which we have seen and read about a zillion times. The Government of Sillim should actually put this travelogue on their official websites, places like Yuksom and Yangte are sure to witness more Tourists. Doesnt really sound like a good idea, but hey, more the revenue, better the Upkeep, hopefully. Thanks Anirban .. wonderfull storytelling.

Thanks Sayantan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparnesh View Post
Hi Anirban,

I am a new member on this forum, though have been following it for long. Am planning a similar trip to Sikkim with my family in our Ikon 1.4 TDCI from 01 Jun 10. Need a few inputs to decide on the route : -
(a) Difference between both the routes (Panagarh and Behrampore) in terms of distance, quality and traffic (your suggestion out of your experience solicited).
(b) Total driving time on road (intend to put up at Sivoke Cantonment).
(c) Any special requirements/ preparations for the car.

Could you also throw some light on the road to rabongla from gangtok, in case you have some experience/ knowledge? I intend to drive to the following places:-

Kolkata (ballygunge) - Siliguri (Sivoke) - Kalimpong - Gangtok - Rabongla - Siliguri - Kolkata

Regards

Lt Cdr Aparnesh Mitra
Sorry Lt Cdr Aparnesh, since I checked this after a while, missed it, let me know if you still need some information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
You have really put the Ikon through its paces: good roads, bad roads, no roads, rocks, steep climbs, steep descents and hairpins, all in one trip; and it seems to have delivered the goods without any hassle. Some of the "roads" you have photographed would have tested any vehicle's build quality.
Absolutely, its only around now that the ownership experience is turning out really substantial. Have built a lot of memories with this car too. Build quality is really very strong, the car still does not rattle.

Few days back, I was dissappointed with a squeek coming from the front, seemed finally something from the dashboard. But later turned out to be my shades (sunglasses)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
So happy to see another fellow iKon being used lovingly. A few questions about your car:

1) Have you changed the rear tail lamp assemblies? They look like the new ones.
2) No mud flaps?
3) I see you have Good Year tyres. I have Bridgestone S322, the same that came first with the car. I bought the same Bridgestone when I made the first change. How are the Good Years, do you recommend them over the Bridgestones? They appear broader than my tyres, what size are they?

and finally, did your Dad have a "duel" with an MHawk?

Very nice travelogue from both car and travel perspectives, enjoyed it.

Regards
Damu
The rear tail lamp was changed just for the sake of it. Holding on to the originals.

I was never too fond of mudflaps.

I have Eagle F1 GSD III's (Good Year) on my car, love the performance on offer. The tyre is 185 section, broader than stock. I have a 2.3% higher Rolling diameter, I dont mind, it does not do any harm, rather than underindicating a bit on the speedo and odo.

My father did the mHawk, though nothing special about it, but then the Ikon was loaded the mHawk was not.

Thanks again for the good words everyone.
Old 1st August 2010, 03:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

@ 1100D

Mazaa aa gaaya, just rated this 5 star. Have not read it but only gone through the snaps on page 1 and saved a few. Will read through at leisure tomorrow. But why is the page 2 so dry? I am sure you would have more snaps to share and put up, would request you to do so at the earliest, especially if you have any of the Farakka barage and areas around it. Thanks.

Last edited by khoj : 1st August 2010 at 03:06.
Old 1st August 2010, 10:00   #28
BHPian

Just gone through the full TL. Loved it, loved the pics and your narration. Sikkim is already in my wish list. Thanks for sharing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks