Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:07   #1
BHPian

Somnathapura - A Photo Report.

It was on January 26, 2010, that following the Republic Day celebrations, we had some spare time, and we thought of this place as a short drive destination. We were back from RD celebrations in our apartment complex and were at a loss to find activities for the rest of the day. After some considerations and delibrations, Somnathpura was the most practical drive since it was already 12:30 p.m. Finally, after some quick team bhp research on the route, road conditions etc., and after a quick lunch, we left our place at around 1:15 p.m.

Went all the way to Mysore road to Shell, tanked up, and came back - yes came back to take the Kanakapura Road. The reason being, I wanted to check out this road rather than the oft traveled Mysore Road.

The route taken was the standard one via Kanakapura Road-Kanakapura-Mallavalli-Bannur-Somnathapura Temple. Road condition throughout was average to good except Bannur to Somnathpura (which by now should be good) - the road was under construction. So overall the drive was pleasant excepting for the sun which prompted some nice cool tender coconut.

There is some excellent writeup on this place which is really informative by hotstuff. The link is below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...a-temples.html

That leaves anybody very little to say except for the personal experience that we reach there just 1/2 hour before closure time 5:30 p.m. but got some additional 15 min - that day being national holiday, a lot of crowd was still pouring in.

Some photos below. First the customary wide angle full view and some photos. More to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Somnathapura - A Photo Report.-img_0185.jpg  

Somnathapura - A Photo Report.-img_0141.jpg  

Somnathapura - A Photo Report.-img_0144.jpg  

Somnathapura - A Photo Report.-img_0145.jpg  

Somnathapura - A Photo Report.-img_0151.jpg  

Somnathapura - A Photo Report.-img_0152.jpg  

Somnathapura - A Photo Report.-img_0157.jpg  

Somnathapura - A Photo Report.-img_0158.jpg  

Somnathapura - A Photo Report.-img_0159.jpg  

Somnathapura - A Photo Report.-img_0160.jpg  

itsmyalto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:22   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Good one. Nothing to beat the temples of India!
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:28   #3
BHPian

Good report and some great pictures.
The road condition from Mallvalli has been under construction for qiute some time now i guess :(
Old 4th March 2010, 10:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Good one. Nothing to beat the temples of India!
Very true, MX6, especially the very old temples which far outclass most new ones barring few "big budget" ones, although I like the ambience and serenity in the old temples better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Good report and some great pictures.
The road condition from Mallvalli has been under construction for qiute some time now i guess :(
Oh.. by the look of it, I got an impression that Mallavalli road would be done in a week or so!!
Old 4th March 2010, 11:02   #5
BHPian

A lot of people were visiting this place after doing the Talakadu/Muthatti trip. Quit a few people didnt have the idea that there is no religious rites performed in this temple, hence were both surprised and taken aback by this. In any event, there was a lot of crowd even at the fag end of the day. Some more photos of the temple....
Attached Thumbnails
Somnathapura - A Photo Report.-img_0162.jpg  

Somnathapura - A Photo Report.-img_0165.jpg  

Somnathapura - A Photo Report.-img_0184.jpg  

Somnathapura - A Photo Report.-img_0176.jpg  

Somnathapura - A Photo Report.-img_0180.jpg  

Somnathapura - A Photo Report.-img_0182.jpg  

itsmyalto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2010, 11:46   #6
BHPian

By 5:45 p.m. the place was closed and we were out and back on our way via the same route. Total door-to-door km was 255 km. I got an FE of around 20 km/L approx. While coming back, there was (surprisingly) far less traffic than I expected. Guess more people took the Mysore Road, so Kanakapura Road was good to drive in the evening. We were back by around 8:30 p.m. and called it a day.

Thanx.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks