Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:37   #1
BHPian

Scenic Charmadi

Dear All,

I am immensely delighted to share with you yet another travelouge, A journey through "Charmaadi" which is also a part of the Magnanimous
Western Ghats.
Indeed its trekkers paradise and very certainly for nature lovers.
Sumamry of our journey: Mangalore -> Charmadi->
Balehonnu r->Mangalore

The excitement to drive thru the mighty ghats started as we were heading for Balehonnur from Mangalore. Not many pics could be clicked on the way as we actually
had set out to get our cousine brother engaged. Just to mention here, Balehonnur is a beautiful place as well. Your sure to live upto a 100 as the place
is quite remote and away from human intervension with nature.

On our way back , We the wild hogs quenched our thist with Charmadi. Like always the camera got busy.
We stopped only at places that caught our attention the most. Well !! every curve thru the ghats is simply mindblowing and tempting enough to stopby.

Unfortunatlely it was almost evening when we entered the ghats and therefore had to cross before it got dark.
There are many falls and beautiful water streams in charmadi that are just perfect wallpapers.
We missed them this time but surely, will try to hitch a ride again to uncover the deeper charmadi.

And ofcourse, this journey thru the mighty ghats would not have been so interesting without my fully loaded, fully enthusiatic companions.

With this little note ill let the pictures do the talking.

Cheers

Scenic Charmadi-1.jpg

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 14951
Size:  79.1 KB

Scenic Charmadi-3.jpg

Scenic Charmadi-4.jpg

Scenic Charmadi-5.jpg

Scenic Charmadi-6.jpg

Scenic Charmadi-7.jpg

Scenic Charmadi-8.jpg

Scenic Charmadi-9.jpg
Old 3rd March 2010, 19:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wow Mohsin, the scenery looks good! Next time I go to Mangalore I will drive via Charmadi.

Are the roads good throughout the ghat section, or are there repairs going on?
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Had taken this pic in 2007..a very scenic drive with lots of fast curves...though now its in very bad shape.
If driving from bangalore ,you can take the Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmadi-Dharmasthala -mangalore route

Scenic Charmadi-charmadi.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th March 2010 at 02:13. Reason: Welcome back SS! Few things have changed since you were here last - see the new way that you have to upload pics in the Announcements section. Cheers.
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:51   #4
BHPian

Great pics....Let more role into the post
Old 4th March 2010, 00:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Wow Mohsin, the scenery looks good! Next time I go to Mangalore I will drive via Charmadi.

Are the roads good throughout the ghat section, or are there repairs going on?
The road are in excellent condition. Heavy Transport vehicles are not allowed on these roads anymore. You could have a peaceful non smoky drive

Here is my collection of Charmadi ghats
Attached Thumbnails
Scenic Charmadi-dsc03093.jpg  

Scenic Charmadi-dsc03098.jpg  

Scenic Charmadi-dsc03099.jpg  

Scenic Charmadi-dsc03100.jpg  

Scenic Charmadi-dsc07590.jpg  

Scenic Charmadi-dsc07617.jpg  

Scenic Charmadi-dsc07659.jpg  

Scenic Charmadi-dsc07664.jpg  

Scenic Charmadi-dsc07665.jpg  

Scenic Charmadi-dsc07666.jpg  

Scenic Charmadi-dsc07669.jpg  

Scenic Charmadi-dsc07682.jpg  

Scenic Charmadi-dsc07687.jpg  

Scenic Charmadi-dsc07689.jpg  

Scenic Charmadi-dsc07801.jpg  

Scenic Charmadi-dsc07806.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by VTEC_Rocks : 4th March 2010 at 00:15. Reason: Photos added
Old 4th March 2010, 07:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wow, no heavy transport vehicles on Charmadi Ghat, how on earth did they manage that? This is teriffic news!

I am cancelling my train tickets and driving down for sure, in April. Thanks guys, for the good news
Old 4th March 2010, 10:16   #7
BHPian

Great pics! A few questions:
1) Are these recent pics? Because I can see that it has rained in one of the photos!
2) Could you please mention the distance from Bangalore, and also from Mangalore.

Thanks!
Old 4th March 2010, 10:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Great pics! A few questions:

2) Could you please mention the distance from Bangalore, and also from Mangalore.

Thanks!
Guess its somewhere around 300 kms from Bangalore..Something around 100-150 kms from Mangalore

With four laning work going on the NH 48 runway ,its a boring drive till Hassan.The fun starts after you take the right turn from Hassan.

Another route is to drive all the way till Sakleshpur and take a small road to Mudigere about 2-3 kms before the Shiradi Ghat.This road passes through the jungles and through some awesome scenery.And ..you wouldnt have mobile phone coverage on this route.

Wait for HVK to give you the exact numbers
Old 4th March 2010, 12:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
.....Another route is to drive all the way till Sakleshpur and take a small road to Mudigere about 2-3 kms before the Shiradi Ghat.This road passes through the jungles and through some awesome scenery.And ..you wouldnt have mobile phone coverage on this route.
Yeah and you would have to drive a Hummer on this route to get out in one piece. Last I heard, this road was pretty pathetic.

I agree about the awesome scenery though. This road joins the Belur-Mudigere road at Jannapura.

@PearlJam, I don't think that the pics are recent. They probably are taken just after the monsoons.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 4th March 2010 at 12:15.
Old 4th March 2010, 12:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Yeah and you would have to drive a Hummer on this route to get out in one piece. Last I heard, this road was pretty pathetic.

I agree about the awesome scenery though. This road joins the Belur-Mudigere road at Jannapura.

@PearlJam, I don't think that the pics are recent. They probably are taken just after the monsoons.

The last that I had driven on this route ( the deviation before Shiradi) was in 2008.I was forced to take this route whenever there used to be blocks on the Shiradi ghat.It wasnt bad at all except at a few places.BTW i used to drive a zen and had absolutely no problems at all .I will try and get pics of this .

There was a 20 kms bad stretch just before Charmadi that you would get anyways ...no matter what route you take.
Old 4th March 2010, 12:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing!
Old 4th March 2010, 12:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Sakleshpur and take a small road to Mudigere about 2-3 kms before the Shiradi Ghat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
After Sakleshpura, around 3 kms take right at Anemahal, This road is via Hanbal, Jannapura Mudigere. Road condition is good till Hanbal & rough patches till Jannapura, from thereon to mudigere, its in pathetic condition when I last travelled, Better get an Hummer as Adi says .
Old 4th March 2010, 16:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Distance info:

Mangalore-take NH13-Moodabadri 35 kms-Ujjire 40-Charmadi 15-Kottegahara 25-Mudigere 15-Chickmagalur 25-Belur 25-Hassan 35-Channarayapatna 40-Kunigal 75-Nelamangala 45-Bangalore 30
Old 4th March 2010, 17:38   #14
BHPian

Awesome! I have some pictures too, just have to find them

Its best to go there just after the rains, all the hills are green in color, covered with long grass. The last time I took this route was in September. There were bad stretches for about 25 kms. It was not as bad as going through Shiridi - you are left shaken so badly. And yes, poor car!
Old 30th July 2010, 08:42   #15
BHPian

Will be passing thru the ghats next month, cant wait to see how beautiful they have become due to monsson

Scenic Charmadi-7.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks