Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 07:02   #16
Team-BHP Support

So how far is Valparai from Pollachi? Are things to see around in Pollachi? I was thinking of covering all these places in one trip.

By the way more photos please.
Old 11th March 2010, 10:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So how far is Valparai from Pollachi? Are things to see around in Pollachi? I was thinking of covering all these places in one trip.

valparai is 64 kms from pollachi. Pollachi doesnt have much places to see around. There are places like aliyar dam and top slip,monkey falls etc which are around 30kms from pollachi
Old 11th March 2010, 11:49   #18
BHPian

Quote:

Few places around Pollachi are
Aliyar Dam
Thirumoorthy Hills
Monkey Falls ( on the road to valparai)
Chinnar
Amaravathy Dam & Crocodile Farm
Anamalai Wildlife Sanctuary
Topslip
Old 11th March 2010, 12:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
On the way we came across a bridge where we took some snaps and continued
Attachment 304770
I had some snaps around the same bridge in my travelogue. Nice place.

Worth the trip! Could not stay in Valparai, just had lunch and returned back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
@trrk - thank you sir for your help on the route. Hope u had a nice weekend
Truthfully, did not connect 'Kiran' with Soccerfan, thanks to my ageing memory! I merely tried to pass on whatever I got from here. And you mentioned the name of the junction before I could get it! So did I really help you?

My daughter is having here 10th Board exams. Even otherwise only Sunday is weekend for us and is usually spent at home. I may not even see open sky on most Sundays!
Old 11th March 2010, 12:39   #20
BHPian

Its not boring for us please continue to post some more pictures!!!
Old 11th March 2010, 15:23   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Truthfully, did not connect 'Kiran' with Soccerfan, thanks to my ageing memory! I merely tried to pass on whatever I got from here. And you mentioned the name of the junction before I could get it! So did I really help you?
My daughter is having here 10th Board exams. Even otherwise only Sunday is weekend for us and is usually spent at home. I may not even see open sky on most Sundays!
Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
Its not boring for us please continue to post some more pictures!!!
@trrk - i wanted to confirm the route with you . and you confirmed it once i mentioned
@srikanth - thanks . will post more pictures for sure
Old 11th March 2010, 15:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

Valparia is an amazing place. My uncle used to work in the plantations, so it used to be the ideal destination for my summer holidays.

The 41 hairpin bends were the highlight of the journey.

I've heard that they have converted most of the bungalows into resorts now. Any idea on the tariff?

Shan2nu
Old 11th March 2010, 20:16   #23
BHPian

Socceru, stop posting replies only & post the rest of the log (with lots of photos of course). Pl. pl. bore us to death, man!
PS: liked the punto snap very much.

Last edited by Nutty Nair : 11th March 2010 at 20:18.
Old 12th March 2010, 23:06   #24
BHPian

Enquired the hotel reception about places worth visiting in valparai . He mentioned 3 for the day

1. nallamudi cholai view point (10 km)
2. number parai (12 km)
3. nirar dam (16km)

decided to tackle nallamudi 1st. road started off very bad and improved after .5km. Nice scenery on the way

Yet another valparai trip to bore you!!-img_8940.jpg
Yet another valparai trip to bore you!!-img_8948.jpg

Even after 10kms we couldn't see any boards directing to this. Enquired with a goods lorry driver and he said we have to go back 1/2 km and take the 1st right. There was a guard here and paid 15 rs each for an entrance ticket. Could take the car half kms further and then we walked through tea estates up. 2-3 mins more and we reached the view point. there is an electric fence to seperate the teas estate from the forest beyond the view point. But elephants apparently had destroyed the fencing and we could see the smashed up remains of the fence. But the view from the view point is breath taking with a nice breeze. We were the only people there and stood enjoying mother nature . Spend around half an hour there and we proceeded to number parai.

crested serpent eagle with a pair of red whiskered bul buls
Yet another valparai trip to bore you!!-img_8954.jpg
Yet another valparai trip to bore you!!-img_8956.jpg
view from nallamudi pooncholai view point
Yet another valparai trip to bore you!!-img_8957.jpgYet another valparai trip to bore you!!-img_8967.jpg
Yet another valparai trip to bore you!!-img_8969.jpg

the un-invited!!
Yet another valparai trip to bore you!!-img_8976.jpg
Going further around 1.5 km and a sign board indicated a right to number parai. the road didnt look nice but we decided to take a chance and proceeed. Man!! this was the worst road i had ever driven in my life. It was pathetic. Spots of tar here and there with sharp stones . Nightmare for cars. We drove around .5km in 15 mins and asked the locals where is this place. He pointed to a distant hill top . That was around 5-6kms from there and he advised not to go there as we would reach there by 5.30 only and its the elephant kingdom afterwards. 3 skulls broken by elephants didn't look too good in our imagination and so we turned around disappointed and proceeded to nirar. We had to drive all the way back to valparai to take the road to nirar. Road to nirar was pretty good and we reached there in half an hour . here also we were the only visitors and so sat there and relaxed.

nirar dam
Yet another valparai trip to bore you!!-img_9000.jpg
reservoir
Yet another valparai trip to bore you!!-img_9004.jpgYet another valparai trip to bore you!!-img_9010.jpgYet another valparai trip to bore you!!-img_9031.jpgYet another valparai trip to bore you!!-img_9036.jpgYet another valparai trip to bore you!!-img_9044.jpgYet another valparai trip to bore you!!-img_9066.jpg
One important diff that i noted about dams in kerala and tamilanadu - In kerala phototgraphy is prohibited in all dams while its allowed in tamilnadu. any idea why? Dams are strategic locations and are supposed not to be photographed in Kerala.

Anyway we returned back by around 6.30PM to hotel . Took a bath and had dinner. Roti, Chappathi etc were available and they were quite good. Ordered Gobi manjurian (40 rs) and chicken 65 (60 rs), Chicken 65 had around 14 pieces and it tasted very good. Great VFM. Gobi manjurian also tasted very good. Filled up our stomach and we retired for a good sleep as we had to get up early to tackle the hair pins to pollachi...
Old 13th March 2010, 09:46   #25
Team-BHP Support

The weather looks like was playing the spoil sport. Seems to be very cloudy? So what the gang of 3-Id.. + the fourth (who snapped) were up to?
Old 13th March 2010, 13:10   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely trip there. Please do post more pics of the punto along with the scenery.
Old 13th March 2010, 14:07   #27
BHPian

Nice write up. I was also planning for a trip to Valparai last weekend, however heard from a few friends that a herd of elephants has come down to the valley from forests and yet to return back to forest. So we decided not to take any risk and instead went to another hill station.
Old 13th March 2010, 14:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hey Soccerfan, amazing trip you had there!

From some maps I see that Munnar is pretty close by. What is the driving distance to Munnar from Valparai, & how is the road? I plan to visit Munnar, so I think I should club the visits.

A request : this thread may be renamed "Another Valparai trip to enthrall you"!
Old 13th March 2010, 16:37   #29
BHPian

Fantastic snaps!
I had planned to cover all these places during my recently concluded south india trip. But decided to travel back to bangalore from Kanyakumari instead of taking the Kerala route.
Will definitely refer this thread for my next Kerala trip.
Old 13th March 2010, 20:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The weather looks like was playing the spoil sport. Seems to be very cloudy? So what the gang of 3-Id.. + the fourth (who snapped) were up to?
It was indeed cloudy with a slight drizzle in the night. But we enjoyed it. A drizzle in summer is a nice relief. gang of 3 +4th was just enjoying nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Lovely trip there. Please do post more pics of the punto along with the scenery.
thanks krishna. will def put more snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoop RD View Post
Nice write up. I was also planning for a trip to Valparai last weekend, however heard from a few friends that a herd of elephants has come down to the valley from forests and yet to return back to forest. So we decided not to take any risk and instead went to another hill station.
the locals were mentioning the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hey Soccerfan, amazing trip you had there!

From some maps I see that Munnar is pretty close by. What is the driving distance to Munnar from Valparai, & how is the road? I plan to visit Munnar, so I think I should club the visits.

A request : this thread may be renamed "Another Valparai trip to enthrall you"!
thanks mooza. For munnar you have to take the pollachi -> udumalpet -> chinnar -> marayoor route. Take a right around 6 kms before Pollachi (signage is present. you wont miss that). Distance would be around 150+ kms i suppose

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Fantastic snaps!
I had planned to cover all these places during my recently concluded south india trip. But decided to travel back to bangalore from Kanyakumari instead of taking the Kerala route.
Will definitely refer this thread for my next Kerala trip.
thank you pramod. hope you had a nice trip. will catch your trevelogue

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks