Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 16:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

I love travelling by train and my personal best was on the TGV between Paris and Bordeaux. To and fro was in TGV but while going the train was a non-stop one covering 580+ Kms in 3Hrs 8 minutes. Actually I still remember very vividly that we were supposed to arrive 10:23 AM as per the time table and the as the train door opened at the station, the clock at station turned 10:23 AM. Now that is precision.

Another good train journey was Delhi to Mangalore by Mangala before the Konkan route came into place. And since we were in 3AC, didn't feel much except I was still for 1 day after getting off the train
Old 12th March 2010, 23:07   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
BHUURRRRAAAAAAHHAHH....PHEEEUSSHHH...BUURRRRAAAAAA HHAHH...PHEEEUSSHHH...BHURRRRAAAAAAHHAHH...PHEEEUS SHHH...
This can be quite a nightmare;I experienced a person in a II AC coach on an overnight passenger from here to Mumbai - he was literally roaring like a lion.
Old 13th March 2010, 09:17   #18
Team-BHP Support

All the south bound trains from Delhi to the state capital were classy. TN, GT, KK, AP and Kerala. All these trains used have 22-23 compartments, more than any of the train in India (I guess except Prayagraj and Corramandel). Once North south corridor was electrified, these trains became more efficient. Till then they were lugged by the classic double diesel. Then TN and AP became a league higher, as they had restricted stops. For example TN and AP used to run non-stop from Delhi to Jhansi (for about 5 hours) and similarly TN used to run non-stop from Vijayawada to Chennai (~450Km I guess).

Once I was travelling by GT which standing @ Gudur junction and the train was quite late.

Bang came the announcement at the station: "GT driver please start the train. TN is coming from behind"

@Khoj, Great fun. First the idea of a thunder and then a give away!
Old 13th March 2010, 13:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
All the south bound trains from Delhi to the state capital were classy. TN, GT, KK, AP and Kerala. All these trains used have 22-23 compartments, more than any of the train in India (I guess except Prayagraj and Corramandel). Once North south corridor was electrified, these trains became more efficient. Till then they were lugged by the classic double diesel. Then TN and AP became a league higher, as they had restricted stops. For example TN and AP used to run non-stop from Delhi to Jhansi (for about 5 hours) and similarly TN used to run non-stop from Vijayawada to Chennai (~450Km I guess).
I agree that the South bound trains are a class apart. I have actually on all of them. I also used to travelDelhi - Hyderabad just after my marriage on the then newly launched Bangalore Sampark Kranti Express which didn't have any stops technically anywhere. So I used to book Delhi - BLR but would get off at Hyd and most of the time the coaches used to be half empty.
Old 13th March 2010, 14:18   #20
Team-BHP Support

Another great journey which I cherish is the Goa express from Agra to Londa. The train had the best pantry I would say. I also had some real bad ones during those travels.

During one of the travels, I waited for 3 hours at Agra cantt. not getting one bit of info about the train. Then at last came the info: Goa express to start from New Delhi now! The North India grid had collapsed !

Another time there was an accident on the Itarsi-Khandwa section and hence the train was diverted from Nagpur-Akola-Bhusaval. By the time we reached Pune, the pantry was empty. The attendant put a sorry face, and said they were train their best to procure food for the passengers !

Last edited by ampere : 13th March 2010 at 14:19.
Old 13th March 2010, 17:21   #21
BHPian

Best ones which I have had till now..

1) Maglev - Shanghai city to Shanghai Airport. 27 kms - 7 flat minutes
2) TGV - Paris (Gare du Est) to Munich
Old 9th August 2010, 16:05   #22
BHPian

The best train journeys used to be from Nagpur to Delhi in AP or TN exp. Best trains. Also the pantries in these trains are the best ! Those were the old old days, 10 years back !

Recently, the best journeys are in Garib Rath between Pune & Nagpur. Superb train, good timings. Always full of young IT guys & nice Girls.

Worst are those travelling in any of the trains goining or coming from UP, Bihar, WB etc.
Old 9th August 2010, 16:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Best journey(s) -

a. Chennai Egmore - Trivandrum via Chingelpet, Tindivanam, Trichy, Madurai, Shencottah, Quilon. The dinner and lunch were the best food I have tasted . It was served on real s.steel plates!!

The train ran on a steam engine(s); you were covered by soot, by the time trip was over. It was a sight to see two engines pulling and pushing the train near Punalur. This was in the ~70s.

If I am not mistaken, NuttyNair has posted the pictures of this section.

b. Bangalore - Goa via Hubli, Londa. The train was put into a siding for two hours to wait for the engine to come over from Margao (Madgaon!). This was in the early ~90s.

Dudhsagar + train underneath the falls = thrilling even today

Worst journey -
Igatpuri - Nagpur via Nasik, Manmad by Gitanjali Express. People were continously boarding the train at all stations, and nobody was getting down!! Heat was unbearable.

That was the last trip to Nagpur (by train )
Old 9th August 2010, 16:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Worst journey -
Igatpuri - Nagpur via Nasik, Manmad by Gitanjali Express. People were continously boarding the train at all stations, and nobody was getting down!! Heat was unbearable.

That was the last trip to Nagpur (by train )
Same is the case with Maharashtra Exp from Pune/Solapur to Nagpur. This train should be renamed as Maharashtra Darshan Train, as it covers almost all the major cities in MH, stops at almost all the stations, small or big.

By the way, Vidarbha Exp is the best to travel from Mumbai to Nagpur.
Old 9th August 2010, 16:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Best train Journeys :

Bhopal -New Delhi Shatabdi express(does 150 kph on some stretches !!)
Ahmedabad-Mumbai Shatabdi Express
Mumbai Rajdhani Express
Jammu Tawi Swaraj Express (This train does New Delhi-Mumbai Central in 18-19 hours!!)
Thane-Madgaon Jan Shatabdi Express
Glasgow Prestwick Airport to Glasgow Central and
Amritsar-New Delhi Shatabdi Express

Most trains on the New Delhi -Allahabad stretch do very high speeds..i remember travelling Delhi-Kanpur 400 kms in clos eto 6 hours in a night train way back in 2001 :O

Worst Train Journey :

Mumbai-Delhi Punjab Mail
Old 9th August 2010, 16:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

I have many fond memories of my Delhi trips by GT during my school vacations, and later by TN during college days. First time I travelled by TN Express was in 1980. The train left Chennai Central at 7.10 AM and was at Vijayawada at 12.15 PM! I remember we were at Delhi by lunch time the next day. There were only 4 stops - V'wada, Nagpur, Bhopal and Jhansi - and the journey was quite fast and thrilling. This was before full electrification of the route and it was a sight to see the train being pulled by two diesel locos while crossing the Chambal ravines. There used to be a generator car in the middle as well, near the pantry car! The train is so long that only one platform (no.1) can accommodate it at Chennai central. In fact if one were somewhere in the middle of the train, when the train negotiated a steep curve, one could merely glance outside the window and see both the engine as well as the last coach!

Within three months after that the train jumped the rails and fell in to a nallah near Sirpur. Many died. Thereafter the speed was reduced. Apart from this the trips I like the most are by Shatabdi Express to Bangalore and back.

For sheer vista, it has to be the NMR from Mettupalayam to Ooty. To make the most of it, we should occupy the very first row seats of the very first compartment. With the engine pushing from behind and nothing to obstruct your sight in front, the views that open up are breathtaking, and fit for kings!

Last edited by Gansan : 9th August 2010 at 16:56.
Old 9th August 2010, 16:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Best Journeys:
Garib Rath: Bangalore to Hyderabad. Always on time. Always clean. Always full of well mannered people. My better half used to be in hyd at that time. And I still remember the dash from office on Friday to Yeshwantpur station.

Worst journey?
Jhansi to Rourkela journey in Utkal Express in peak of Puja season in year 2000. Sat on a sack in general compartment all the way. For around 24 hrs. Next to a very ill tempered Army soldier.

Last edited by download2live : 9th August 2010 at 16:55. Reason: typo
Old 9th August 2010, 17:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
First time I travelled by TN Express was in 1980. The train left Chennai Central at 7.10 AM and was at Vijayawada at 12.15 PM! I remember we were at Delhi by lunch time the next day. There were only 4 stops - V'wada, Nagpur, Bhopal and Jhansi - and the journey was quite fast and thrilling. This was before full electrification of the route and it was a sight to see the train being pulled by two diesel locos while crossing the Chambal ravines. There used to be a generator car in the middle as well, near the pantry car! The train is so long that only one platform (no.1) can accommodate it at Chennai central. In fact if one were somewhere in the middle of the train, when the train negotiated a steep curve, one could merely glance outside the window and see both the engine as well as the last coach!

Within three months after that the train jumped the rails and fell in to a nallah near Sirpur. Many died. Thereafter the speed was reduced.
The current Chennai Rajdhani takes the same time as what the then 121/122 TN Express used to take then. So much so for all the electrification, WAP5s' & WAP7s'. Must have been an awesome experience for you then.
Old 9th August 2010, 17:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

The best train journey for me is the Rayagada-Koraput (Hirakud Express). There are around 36 tunnels and equal number of via-ducts. The train starts at Rayagada early in the morning at around 5 i think, and goes at a leisurely pace and reaches Koraput around 1000m above sea level just after noon.

Apart from the scenic beauty, the attraction is that the train route is through many tribal villages and you can see,to quote a cliche, the tableau of life of these villages -friendly but very backward looking people, totally laidback life

I dont have much of bad experiences in train - certainly not in the league of MX6 or Khoj, but I remember a train journey from Trivandrum to Calicut when I was a little kid. The train was so crowded that when I wanted to pee, people around me suggested that I climb on to the window and relieve myself. I refused point blank! Of course not, with all the girls standing around and staring at me
Old 9th August 2010, 17:13   #30
BHPian

Best: Journey from Leeds to Aberdeen in UK. Train goes all along the coast and its a treat to watch. Sunshine, greenery and sea. Its lovely.
Worst: Jammu to Delhi. That train was a riot place. There was fist fighting going on everywhere for reasons and even for no reasons!! I was running a temperature and couldnt wait to get to Delhi. Worst. Can forget the best, but not the worst!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks