Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 10:29   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
No worries there pal. Make up for the lapse by planning a kodai trip after your munnar trip.
I had a very eventful weekend driving over 4 - 5 ghat sections. Don't know when I'd get time to unfold that story. The story of katraj ghats, satara ghats, amba ghats, ghats on NH17 between ratnagiri and chiplun, raigad ghats (Both ways) and varandha ghat.
I'd become a "ghatiya" insaan over the weekend.
check out the query I've raised in route query section under title chiplun to pune for a sneak peek.
Good, you got an opportunity to drive in the above ghats. How was it driving in this hot weather ?
Old 5th April 2010, 10:33   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Munnar trip -- Help guide is here --

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ay-trip-5.html

Thanks pramod for the same. How is this Hirekolale lake ? I have heard about it? How far from Chikmagalur ? I keep travelling to Hassan regularly and can plan a weekend trip to that place, if it is worthwhile to do so.

I will go thru' the link which you have given me, but frankly i think i can spare max 5 days to do the Munnar trip.
Old 5th April 2010, 10:35   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
No issues Rajesh. But one thing I found out after visiting Munnar, is that it stands out against rest of the hill stations. Absolutely enchanting in rains. Club it with more places for a 10 day kind of vacation and you have nothing to repent!
Thanks ampere. Problem is i can spare max 5 days for this Munnar trip and have to plan within the that timeframe only.
Old 6th April 2010, 16:02   #109

Nice travelogue Pramod, i came back yesterday only 5th April from Kodaikanal, your travelogue helped me a lot, took the same route in little over 8.5 hrs with one break of 20 mins and one other bio break. Trip meter from Hebbal to Kodai - 480 KM
Took the same BLR>> Krishnagiri>> Salem>>Nammakal>> Dindigul>> Vatalgundu>>Kodai

recent updates on the route from Bangalore to Kodaikanal.
1. One Fly over out of two is ready at Karur
2. There is some confusion at Dindigul (Do not enter Dindigul town), do not take fly over before entering Dindigul stay on service road, take the second right to Kodaikanal.
the first right takes you to Kodai via Palani which is longer.
best bet is to ask near the fly over better to ask more than one person
3. Weather was even more chilly in April first week, 17 deg during the evenings and it rains every day but for short periods.
My suggestion, search for hotels near the lake, Kodai lake itself is 5 Km in circle and there are many hotels and resorts around.
4. Caution: DO not talk to the touts who are offering rooms as soon as you enter Kodai, even if it is peak season. Trust me all hotels in Kodai have rooms available.
I went on easter weekend and it was mad rush. i got into the trap of the tout and made him board my car to show me hotels around, what happens is that the Hotel owners have to pay 10% per room to the tout, and they will turn you back even if they have room as they know during these weekends some one or other will take the room,so they rater be happy to keep it vacant.
From my view point and i have a 5 year old kid. these are the hotels or resorts i will stay in next time (considering having have car):
1. "Green acres resort" on the lake periphery
2. "Hotel wood palace" (1000 - 1500) depending on your bargaining i stayed here @ rs 1500/night, this one is also near the lake , still little off the bazaar which is good.
3. Astoria resort but good value for money and location.
4. Carlton is also great but off my budget i guess above 4K/night +tax
Old 6th April 2010, 16:30   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj_125 View Post
Great notes Neeraj. I did not stay in Carlton, but liked the food there.
Their lawns are great!
Old 15th June 2010, 23:45   #111

Good Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj_125 View Post
Nice travelogue Pramod, i came back yesterday only 5th April from Kodaikanal, your travelogue helped me a lot, took the same route in little over 8.5 hrs with one break of 20 mins and one other bio break. Trip meter from Hebbal to Kodai - 480 KM
Took the same BLR>> Krishnagiri>> Salem>>Nammakal>> Dindigul>> Vatalgundu>>Kodai

recent updates on the route from Bangalore to Kodaikanal.
1. One Fly over out of two is ready at Karur
2. There is some confusion at Dindigul (Do not enter Dindigul town), do not take fly over before entering Dindigul stay on service road, take the second right to Kodaikanal.
the first right takes you to Kodai via Palani which is longer.
best bet is to ask near the fly over better to ask more than one person
3. Weather was even more chilly in April first week, 17 deg during the evenings and it rains every day but for short periods.
My suggestion, search for hotels near the lake, Kodai lake itself is 5 Km in circle and there are many hotels and resorts around.
4. Caution: DO not talk to the touts who are offering rooms as soon as you enter Kodai, even if it is peak season. Trust me all hotels in Kodai have rooms available.
I went on easter weekend and it was mad rush. i got into the trap of the tout and made him board my car to show me hotels around, what happens is that the Hotel owners have to pay 10% per room to the tout, and they will turn you back even if they have room as they know during these weekends some one or other will take the room,so they rater be happy to keep it vacant.
From my view point and i have a 5 year old kid. these are the hotels or resorts i will stay in next time (considering having have car):
1. "Green acres resort" on the lake periphery
2. "Hotel wood palace" (1000 - 1500) depending on your bargaining i stayed here @ rs 1500/night, this one is also near the lake , still little off the bazaar which is good.
3. Astoria resort but good value for money and location.
Hi Neeraj,

I am planning to travel to Kodai this weekend from Bangalore. I have a few questions on the travel time:

1. When you say 8.5 hours, what time during the day did you travel? I am planning to leave between 6 - 7 AM this Friday.

2. Also, what would be a good place for breakfast - Thoppur A2B or some place in Salem? I will be travelling with wife and 2.5 year old kid.
If Salem, will somebody be able to suggest good places to eat and take a short break (more for the kid!!)

3.From Dindugul to Vatlagundu, which is the better route both in terms of quality and time taken? - Continue on NH7 till Kodai Road or take NH 45 at Dindugul.

4. Would anybody know the current state of roads and also the weather in Kodai. I am paricularly concerned about rains while driving up the hill.
Old 16th June 2010, 09:55   #112
BHPian

1. When you say 8.5 hours, what time during the day did you travel? I am planning to leave between 6 - 7 AM this Friday.
<Pramod> If you leave by 5.30 AM, you could reach Kodai for lunch at 1:30 to 2 PM.

2. Also, what would be a good place for breakfast - Thoppur A2B or some place in Salem? I will be travelling with wife and 2.5 year old kid.
If Salem, will somebody be able to suggest good places to eat and take a short break (more for the kid!!)
<Pramod> I recommend A2B. Easy on kids. Salem has a few restaurants, but no guarentee that, it would be safe for the kids

3.From Dindugul to Vatlagundu, which is the better route both in terms of quality and time taken? - Continue on NH7 till Kodai Road or take NH 45 at Dindugul.
<Pramod> I strongly recommend driving on NH7 all the way till kodai road and then taking right towards Vathalagundu. And then climbing up the hill.
When you have a worldclass 4 laner for the most part, why take the bhavani route?

4. Would anybody know the current state of roads and also the weather in Kodai. I am paricularly concerned about rains while driving up the hill.
<Pramod> Roads should be good. because, just a few months back, reports here were of very good condition. Wrt rains, if you are hitting the Hills at the end of June and not expecting it to rain, we cant help it
I am sure, it will rain.

Regards
Pramod
Old 17th June 2010, 01:44   #113

Thanks Pramod!!

I have a few more questions.

My plan right now is to travel to Kodai on Friday and spend 2 nights there. I am tentatively looking at going to Mysore from there on Sunday, spend a night and reach Bangalore by Monday eve. When i enquired with the hotel folks, they were aware of the route only through ooty.

But based on some travelogues here, the route that i have in mind is as follows:

Kodai - Palani - Dharapuram - Kangeyam - Sathyamangalam - Chamarajnagar - Nanjangud - Mysore.

I plan to leave early on Sunday morning and reach Mysore by around 2 or 3 PM. Is it possible to do so and also are the roads in good state currently?

Regards
Raghavan
Old 17th June 2010, 13:02   #114
MX6
Senior - BHPian

You can take the Kodai - Palani - Dharapuram - Kangeyam - Sathy - Chamarajnagar - Nanjangud - Mysore route.
However, the Kodai - Palani wouldn't be a good one.
I'd suggest Kodai - Vathalagundu - Dindigul - Karur - Sathy - Chamarajnagar - Nanjangud - Mysore.
Kodai to Dindigul is excellent roads. You should be able to do that in 2.5 hours max.
Dindigul to karur is NH7. Karur to Sathy is amazing roads.
From karnataka border to Nanjangud is bad to worse. Nanjangud to Mysore is ok as of now.
Old 17th June 2010, 16:07   #115

Thanks MX6.

For Karur to Sathy, shoudl i take Erode - Gobi and then Sathy?
Old 18th June 2010, 01:16   #116
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Yes. Through Erode and Gobi.
Old 18th June 2010, 02:47   #117
BHPian

MX6,

The Kodai-Palani route is fantastic with newly laid roads the last I visited in May.

essrags,

you can stick on to the route you have posted as the roads are good all the way upto Karnataka and this would be the shortest. I suppose you are taking kangeyam-sathy via Chennimalai, perundurai, chithode and Gobi.
Old 18th June 2010, 10:01   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
MX6,
I suppose you are taking kangeyam-sathy via Chennimalai, perundurai, chithode and Gobi.
You can also take the following route Kangeyam-Utukuli RS- Kolapalur-Sathy (byepassing Gobi)-Dhimbam-Chamrajnagar-Nanjangud-Mysore. Please expect the roads on the Dhmibam - Chamrajnagar to be bad and battered due to rains. Take it easy on your car in this stretch.
Old 18th June 2010, 12:43   #119
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That's good news luvurride! Kodai to Palani being relaid means one can save 1 or 2 hours of drive then!
Old 18th June 2010, 14:21   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
From Saty to dhimbam ghat, it's like 23 hair pin bends, but it's just a 20 min climb thanks to excellent roads.
Dimbham ghats to the border of karnataka - tn is also a breeze with great roads!
The roads deteriorate once you cross in to Karnataka.
The dhimbam ghat has 17 hairpin bends, The roads are good to about 10 kms from Chamarajanagar. From Chamarajanagar to Nanajangud its good with quite a few humps near villages. Nanjangud to Mysore its pretty average with heavy traffic. Mysore to Bangalore its smooth, but again quite a few humps on this very good road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks