Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2010, 12:56   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
If people are not aware, the diamond on the nose ring of the goddess actes as the leading light for many a fishermen on the high seas in the earlier times. Now, there are too many buildings infront of it to still occur.
Pramod, the story goes a little bit different. If you have observed that the Eastern sea board enterance is kept closed always. This is the place where you can see kumari amman from the sea. There is a tale in which due to the sheer reflection of the agal lights on the diamond nose stud (this is supposed to be a naga mani) sailors mistake this as a beacon from the light house and they end up coming to the rocky portion of the shore. This has cause a lot of ship wrecks. In order to avoid this mishaps in future the Eastern sea board entrance is sealed off.

Last edited by ElantraGT : 16th March 2010 at 13:10.
Old 16th March 2010, 13:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Not sure about the KK being the only place. There's also a place called Kotra nes near Somnath, Veraval, where this spectacle might be possible. I've seen sunsets in somnath. Was lazy not to catch sun rises.
Quote:
MX6 -- I agree that there are more places where both Sunset and Sunrise are indeed viewable.One such place in Karnataka is "KUNDADRI PEAK" near Agumbe. The peak is the tallest among the lot in that area and hence it is possible to do so.
I did not know about these places, thank you very much for the info. But I would still bet in neither of those places you can see the sun rise from the Bay of Bengal and set in the Arabian sea!
Old 16th March 2010, 13:06   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Pramod, the gory goes a little bit different. If you have observed that the Eastern sea board enterance is kept closed alwys. This is the place where you can see kumari amman from the sea.
I have also read that Kanyakumari was waiting for Shiva to arrive for the wedding and for some reason, Shiva arrived late and she spills the Kumkum, turmeric on the shore, which has resulted in different hues on the beach to this day.

A truely interesting story in all !
Old 16th March 2010, 13:27   #49
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I did not know about these places, thank you very much for the info. But I would still bet in neither of those places you can see the sun rise from the Bay of Bengal and set in the Arabian sea!
Well, near somnath, we might see the sun rise from Arabian sea and set in arabian sea!
But then what's in a name? By naming, one just tries to own up that part of the sea! On a lighter note, in some strategic locations in chennai, one might even see the sunrise from coovum!

I saw the sunrise from Atlantic ocean in keywest and set in the gulf of Mexico!
Old 16th March 2010, 13:59   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
On a lighter note, in some strategic locations in chennai, one might even see the sunrise from coovum!
Ha ha, good one, but I can't think of a single location from where this might be possible! I would love to see that!

But the Cooum is a clean enough river till it enters the city. I remember reading in the biography of some judge of Madras High Court -Muthuswamy Iyer if I remember right - that he used to rise early in the morning and finish his bath and morning rituals (Sandhavandhanam etc) in the Cooum river! That was at the turn of the last (19th) century though!

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&sou...318plp0W7lfYgQ

The Hindu : The Cooum associated with sanctity

The names Bay of Bengal and Arabian Sea carry a special significance though! They are the eastern and western boundaries of our land. Else, why not simply say India is surrounded by the Indian Ocean on three sides and be done with it!

Last edited by Gansan : 16th March 2010 at 14:06.
Old 17th March 2010, 17:03   #51
BHPian

Day 6 -- Sunrise

Day 6 :

We wake up at 6 AM for the sunset to be viewed from the roof of our hotel.

Bangalore - Kodai - Madurai - Kanyakumari (NH7 Lifeline)-img_0147_800x533.jpg

Bangalore - Kodai - Madurai - Kanyakumari (NH7 Lifeline)-img_0153_800x533.jpg

Bangalore - Kodai - Madurai - Kanyakumari (NH7 Lifeline)-img_0154_800x533.jpg

Bangalore - Kodai - Madurai - Kanyakumari (NH7 Lifeline)-img_0158_800x533.jpg

Bangalore - Kodai - Madurai - Kanyakumari (NH7 Lifeline)-img_0160_800x533.jpg

Bangalore - Kodai - Madurai - Kanyakumari (NH7 Lifeline)-img_0163_800x533.jpg

Bangalore - Kodai - Madurai - Kanyakumari (NH7 Lifeline)-img_0166_400x600.jpg

Bangalore - Kodai - Madurai - Kanyakumari (NH7 Lifeline)-img_0170_400x600.jpg

Bangalore - Kodai - Madurai - Kanyakumari (NH7 Lifeline)-img_0171_800x533.jpg

I finish this travelogue with these sunrise snaps.
We leave Kanyakumari at 1 PM and reach Bangalore by 10:45 PM with lunch and dinner stops at Madurai-Dindugal Bypass A2B and Krishnagiri A2B respectively.

Thanks to all who followed the blog through out!
Thanks to Bala, MX6 , HVK for the route query clarifications!

Regards
Pramod
Old 17th March 2010, 19:09   #52
Team-BHP Support

Short and nice ! How was the heat in KK?
Old 17th March 2010, 19:17   #53
BHPian

I really expected more responses to this thread of mine. Other than a few fellow tbhpians, others dint care to respond/reply on this thread.
I find it a bit fishy... anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Short and nice ! How was the heat in KK?
KK was Sticky for sure, as is any coastal location. But u always have the breeze blowing in from the sea which makes it managable.
And it was around 37 degrees.
Old 17th March 2010, 23:53   #54
BHPian

pramod, good to know bangalore to KK can be done in less than 10 hrs.

nice travelogue with good set of pictures.

why you thought it is fishy to have low responses. not always people leave a comment.
Old 18th March 2010, 06:15   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I really expected more responses to this thread of mine. Other than a few fellow tbhpians, others dint care to respond/reply on this thread.
Who else other than fellow-bhpians will respond?

By the way which route did you take for return? Did you come back by NH7 or went to Kerala? If you were on NH7, there was a mention that a new hotel (A2B like) was opening up somewhere on the Salem-Madurai area (not sure where). Did you notice?
Old 20th March 2010, 18:47   #56
BHPian

A nicely written travelogue backed by excellent photos, Pramod. BTW which camera do you use?
Old 20th March 2010, 19:44   #57
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue pramod. Nice pictures as well.

I did Bangalore->KK in dec 2009. Excellent stretch to drive on. Took around 10.5 hrs, with several breaks in between.

Kanyakumari is a beautiful place to visit.
Old 20th March 2010, 20:00   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I find it a bit fishy... anyways.

KK was Sticky for sure, as is any coastal location. But u always have the breeze blowing in from the sea which makes it managable.
And it was around 37 degrees.

Hey thats an abrupt end to the travelouge. I am not sure what you mean by "I find it a bit fishy" my friend. I have some snaps of the Sunrise that I took in 2009 at Vivenkandar kendra (not from the rock).
Old 21st March 2010, 19:30   #59
BHPian

Hi Pramod,

A good travelogue, though I did not expect the return journey to be ended abruptly..Its good to know that Blr-KK can be done in 10 hours ...Definitely want to do this stretch some time when I will be in Bangalore...

Thanks,
Srini....
Old 21st March 2010, 22:18   #60
BHPian

Pramod, that was an excellent and detailed travelogue. And your photos of the temple, palace, MDU-KK roads and sunset are truly beautiful!

I had gone by bus from Tirunelveli to Nagercoil (it branches off from NH7) in end '07 and the road was excellent back then too.

Many thanks for sharing your experiences. Makes one want to start off on a trip right away!

Do you have stage-wise FE figures? And, any details of fueling stops on the way?

Last edited by spindoc : 21st March 2010 at 22:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks