Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 13:56   #1
adc
Senior - BHPian

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]

Amazing Exotic Western Arunachal-Tawang, Dirang, Bumla/Lumla, Zemithang, Eagle Nest Sanctuary , and Nameri[Assam]

Last year's [2008-09] year-end travel was one of the most memorable one - a totally untravelled forest, a exotic place and journey; Along with a villager as a guide, we were awestruck as we neared to the source of River Jonk and a blue turquoise water with the whitest of sand beach in the middle of an unexplored forest. Any other place it would been a millon dollar resort or backyard of a corporate but then this is the unbridled joy and satisfaction one gets going unknown exotic places.

[http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...sunabeda.html]

The journey to River Jonk source
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_9045.jpg

The secret beach - in the middle of an unknown forest

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4709e.jpg

So again a "new" year-end [2009-10] and we had around 10 days because of son's Christmas-New Year holidays and we reasoned like it must be some place exotic, less known, less travelled place just like last time. And what better place than the North East. We had been previously to Shillong and Guwahati by train and had seen those places but though we liked the surrounding places, it sure was not that lesser known.

Arunachal comes into picture straightaway and came up with two options - Western Arunachal [Tawang and all] and Namdapha National Park - the largest protected area in the Eastern Himalaya biodiversity hotspot and is located in Eastern Arunachal Pradesh in Changlang District.

Due to work situation, the departure date likewise was not certain and hence with no future booking or planning possible - it was Western Arunachal as Namdapha requires at least some planning beforehand to pull it off smoothly.

Long well before, the hyderabad guys [AP2AP] had it all planned for a Tawang tour and with at least some part of our journey being commong from Siliguri, it was something new to look forward to and meet up with them!

With a child and with no booking, Safari VTT-TMT as usual was filled up to the brim

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4731.jpg

Quote:
And what we had in there!

1. 2 Suitcases

2. 4 Bags.

3. 1 bundled wrap blankets [white misshaped cloth covered one at the top]

4. 1 Folding Camp bed

5. 1 Stove

6. 1 Portable Fireplace

7. 20 L Mineral Water jar

8. Towing rope and battery jump start cables.

9. Oversized umbrella

10. A sack of few utensils, and rice and dal ration if emergency stuck situations/days.

11. Small items like hand bags, flask, etc.

Thats the power of a Safari's back. It gobbles everything up.
And so what followed for the next 10 days was lifetime trip - amazing places and most helpful amazing people, [even though that person whom we asked may be only person around!], the every friendly Army men and one big maximum driving experience!

Along the very less known Eagle Nest Sanctuary trail, Western Arunachal
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6415.jpg

A absolutely less known trail beyond Sela Pass that we found, going by frozen streams and small lakes

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4992.jpg

So thats it for the intro, over the coming days will be putting down the travel story and of course reliving that wonderful journey!

Last edited by adc : 15th March 2010 at 13:58.
adc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2010, 14:34   #2
BHPian

WOW!! The teasers are amazing.. I am eagerly looking forward to this thread... I must say that the preparations were apt..I have always enjoyed your travelogues for the experiences you share with us of the unknown or less traveled places.

Thank you for sharing and do post more of it.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

Wow the lake/beach is mesmerizing ! An awesome place; right out of Tolkien book!
Old 15th March 2010, 15:04   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The sela pass and the river bed pictures are mesmerizing.. waiting for the complete travelogue...
Old 15th March 2010, 15:55   #5
BHPian

simply awesome , I am hooked to this thread ;-)
Old 15th March 2010, 16:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good, some more ideas for new places to drive to during my next drive to Arunachal! Truly, AP is the kind of region where you can do several sorties - I have done 2 and counting - and still not done it all! I still have to go to Bum la, Mechuka, Tuting, Vijainagar and Namdapha!
Old 15th March 2010, 16:28   #7
BANNED

ADC just amazing, you must be Robinson Crusoe in you last life

Just shows how amazing the 2.2 and a 2WD Safari can do in such territories.

Waiting for some more.
Old 15th March 2010, 16:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Amazing pictures as usual!

Is this the same trip that you did with the AP2AP team or is it another travel after that .

I'm hooked. Bring it on!
Old 15th March 2010, 17:06   #9
MX6
Senior - BHPian

what a nice travelogue in the making. Seeing AP photos, my friend and I were planning on a trip that side for sometime. We learnt that one needs special permits to enter Nagaland.
Has anyone been to Nagaland? HVK?
If so can someone throw some light on it?
Old 15th March 2010, 17:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
what a nice travelogue in the making. Seeing AP photos, my friend and I were planning on a trip that side for sometime. We learnt that one needs special permits to enter Nagaland.
Yes, I have driven to Nagaland. The circuit I covered was Jorhat (Assam)-Dimapur-Kohima-Imphal (Manipur). Could not cover Mokochung though, which is in the eastern part of Nagaland.

Yes, permits are required, you can get them made in Guwahati or Dimapur.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2010, 17:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I have been to Nagaland and Manipur. You don't need permits for that. ILP is only required AP.
Old 15th March 2010, 17:18   #12
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That's good news to start with. But the nagaland tourism website says domestic tourists need ILP for Nagaland.

WWW.TOURISMNAGALAND.COM : ENTRY FORMALITIES : GENERAL INFO.

Sorry for the OT. I'll probably start a thread on route queries later when the plan fructifies.
Old 15th March 2010, 17:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I have been to Nagaland and Manipur. You don't need permits for that. ILP is only required AP.
Not true. I had to take a ILP to visit both Nagaland and Manipur.
You can check out the Nagaland Govt web-site:
Utility Forms
you will see the ILP form also listed there, apart from the Restricted Area Permit (for foreigners)

Anyway this is , let us allow adc to continue his excellent travelogue on AP
Old 15th March 2010, 17:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Not true. I had to take a ILP to visit both Nagaland and Manipur.
You can check out the Nagaland Govt web-site:
Strange as I used to go quite frequently to Manipur- Imphal. Just take a flight from Kolkata and all set. For Nagaland, used to go by road to Dimapur from Dibrugarh. Well the last time I went was in 2006 July. May be the rules have changed since.
Old 15th March 2010, 17:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Strange as I used to go quite frequently to Manipur- Imphal. Just take a flight from Kolkata and all set. For Nagaland, used to go by road to Dimapur from Dibrugarh. Well the last time I went was in 2006 July. May be the rules have changed since.
Even in 2001, it was the same rules

Most Viewed