Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 17:39   #16
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Mokokchung is exactly where my friend and I are thinking of driving to. He's in this forum too. bbkp. Anyway OT stops here.
Thanks HVK for the details.
Sorry ADC for OT. Please go ahead with your great travelogue.
Old 15th March 2010, 17:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Another awesome travelogue coming up, Anirban I salute your indomitable spirit

In fact, I was wondering the other day - if Christopher Columbus met up with you, I'm sure he'd end up buying a Safari 2.2 VTT, what say???
Old 15th March 2010, 19:54   #18
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Ranger View Post
Thank you for sharing and do post more of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Wow the lake/beach is mesmerizing ! An awesome place; right out of Tolkien book!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The sela pass and the river bed pictures are mesmerizing.. waiting for the complete travelogue...
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaushik View Post
simply awesome , I am hooked to this thread ;-)
Thanks much guys, hope to like the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Good, some more ideas for new places to drive to during my next drive to Arunachal! Truly, AP is the kind of region where you can do several sorties - I have done 2 and counting - and still not done it all! I still have to go to Bum la, Mechuka, Tuting, Vijainagar and Namdapha!
Absolutely, Arunachal is vast and remote. May be Namdapha-Vijaynagar side may be next for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Is this the same trip that you did with the AP2AP team or is it another travel after that
Thanks MC, you have some travel lined up soon?

And no big travel for us after that, it is the same one that we partly did with the AP2AP team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
We learnt that one needs special permits to enter Nagaland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, permits are required, you can get them made in Guwahati or Dimapur.
Quote:
I have been to Nagaland and Manipur. You don't need permits for that. ILP is only required AP.
Quote:
That's good news to start with. But the nagaland tourism website says domestic tourists need ILP for Nagaland.

WWW.TOURISMNAGALAND.COM : ENTRY FORMALITIES : GENERAL INFO..

Quote:
Mokokchung is exactly where my friend and I are thinking of driving to. He's in this forum too. bbkp. Anyway OT stops here.
Thanks HVK for the details.
Sorry ADC for OT. Please go ahead with your great travelogue.
Nothing is OT, this is all about NE India - it is time we all travel to this part of India to know more about our own people and their land. NE still has that old travel charm, even if it be a somewhat known place.

Nagaland does require ILP. Among the NE states, Assam, Meghalaya, and Tripura does not require ILP. [For a summary one can browse this thread -> http://www.indiamike.com/india/other...tates-t47667/]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Just shows how amazing the 2.2 and a 2WD Safari can do in such territories.
Thanks much Pavan. Safari with great torque, GC, and with some minute but frequent accelerator play control and with some good steering on a bad stretch, one can be surprised with what can be achieved with a 2wd. But then a 4wd is a 4wd and we all know that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
In fact, I was wondering the other day - if Christopher Columbus met up with you, I'm sure he'd end up buying a Safari 2.2 VTT, what say???
Ha ha! Absolutely but would have advised him a 4wd - after all he was sponsored.

Last edited by adc : 15th March 2010 at 20:05.
adc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2010, 21:37   #19
adc
Senior - BHPian

day 1 and 2

Amazing Exotic Western Arunachal-Tawang, Dirang, Bumla/Lumla, Zemithang, Eagle Nest Sanctuary , and Nameri[Assam] --- contd...

Day 1 and day 2 was the transport section. Started at 12 noon around from Calcutta, reached Siliguri Central Plaza at 2:00 am after some huge jams and all. A quick hello at that late night to Ravveendrra, crashed onto the bed for some quick nap of 3 hours. My plan was to go via Guwahati - as it would have been already 34 hours of driving with 3 hrs nap in between. - and so if felt tired, to halt at Guwahati for the night and then go to direct to Dirang, Arunachal, the next day.

Cross posting pictures from nazim's thread - almost all that morning's photos are from Nazim - again thanks for these wonderful pics particularly of on-the-run Safari photos.

Early morning we along with the AP2AP team, first off we went forward to my cousin sister's house in Siliguri for a sumptuous breakfast.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-dsc_0002.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-dsc_0003.jpg

And then we all met Sutripta who had taken time out to meet all us, shared some good road info and it was good short get-together.
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-dsc_0014.jpg

On the road pics from Nazim's [pulsar56] post - Beautiful state road, one point we were touching the Bangladesh fencing border.
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-dsc_0004.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-dsc_0009.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-dsc_0022.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-dsc_0052.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-dsc_0059.jpg

At the local blockade at Cooch Behar, whiled away our time and we were again all go after 2 hours.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-dsc_0068.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-dsc_0061.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-dsc_0074.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-dsc_1406.jpg

But again at the Bengal-Assam border we were in a massive jam, lost quite a bit of time out here. As we crawled forward, someone directed us to take a by-road, and soon we were again moving through some village roads to move back on the NH, bypassing the border checkpoint.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4739.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4743.jpg

As the AP2AP team then moved forward fast for Tezpur, and me feeling the effects of a long journey as I neared Guwahati - it had been 34 hours of driving from Calcutta with that 3 hours of fast nap in between, I after some time located a hotel at Guwahati. We had a good dinner late night, have to thank the hotel owner himself who arranged the food at that time and soon all of us were fast asleep.

At Guwahati, an early morning rise - we are all ready to move into Arunachal - onward journey to Dirang.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4749.jpg

Last edited by adc : 15th March 2010 at 21:40.
adc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2010, 21:52   #20
BHPian

Anirban,

Yet another epic from your stable.

Where did u get stuck on NH 34 ?

Cheers
Old 15th March 2010, 23:03   #21
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captdey View Post
Where did u get stuck on NH 34 ?

Cheers
The first time I travelled on NH34 some 2.5 years back, made a promise to myself not to travel by day again on that road and all subsequent journeys were overnight trips. However again this time I had to leave Calcutta noon time, as the Siliguri to Guwahati trip had to be done in daylight hours.

NH34 as usual was full traffic and plus a 1-hour delay due to a truck breaking its axle and blocking the road in an awkward manner. By night time it takes me 10 hours at the most whereas it took 14 hours daytime.
Old 15th March 2010, 23:15   #22
Team-BHP Support

ADC, the fourth pic on page 1 - you are calling it a "trail". Is it a state highway between two different towns going through a Sanctuary?
Old 15th March 2010, 23:49   #23
Team-BHP Support

Awesome trip and I think the best that you have done yet. Waiting for the rest of the travelogue and pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
The first time I travelled on NH34 some 2.5 years back, made a promise to myself not to travel by day again on that road and all subsequent journeys were overnight trips.
Exactly, I too have done this strecth in daytime only once and promised
never to repeat. It is a much smoother drive at night.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2010, 01:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

@adc: I like your Avatar. Where was it taken?
Old 16th March 2010, 10:47   #25
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
ADC, the fourth pic on page 1 - you are calling it a "trail". Is it a state highway between two different towns going through a Sanctuary?
No way buddy, that is as wide as it gets dirt road with mountain side at one side and deep depth at the other side. In all of the 218 sq km, we were the only 2 tourists out there. The trail continues till Bompu camp over Elephant pass and was all snow and we were sliding with our 2wd vehicle before it became too dicey and with a clutch burning turn went back to the camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Awesome trip and I think the best that you have done yet. Waiting for the rest of the travelogue and pics.
Thanks BP, surely one of the best.

Quote:
@adc: I like your Avatar. Where was it taken?
It was taken on this tour itself, while going to Sela Pass.
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4935.jpg

Last edited by adc : 16th March 2010 at 10:51.
adc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2010, 15:27   #26
adc
Senior - BHPian

Day 3 - Guwahati to Dirang [Arunachal]

Day 3 - Guwahati to Dirang [Arunachal]

So now the journey begins, the day we enter Arunachal. After an early morning rise, we cross the Bhramaputra Bridge out of Guwahati
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4750.jpg

The road to Arunachal from Tezpur soon narrows down and the surely and soon the emptiness and scenery changes gradually

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4759.jpg

At Bhalukpong, entry to Arunachal, permits shown, this soldier came forward to check the VTT and seeing a West Bengal number plate - soon a brief but warm conversation follows - he was from Birbhum district from West Bengal.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4766.jpg

Soon we were on our way on the one and only narrow highway to Tawang

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4769.jpg

A truck among the trucks

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4776.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4770.jpg

We caught up with the AP2AP team over at the Durga Mandir, for a break

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4811.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4781.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4796.jpg

We made frequent but brief stop and one of the interesting stops was this hanging bridge over Kameng. Just beside a small settlement with a balmy afternoon sun, it was a good place to stretch for sometime.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4817.jpg

It was a rickety bridge and just like in the movies as it shows, it was swinging wildly and wife and abandon their cross to the other side.
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4812.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4820.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4821.jpg

And we have company at that place. A local lady was most welcome to take a lift to some place in between. With local transport sketchy in hilly regions, this is a common feature in all hill regions
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4823.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4824.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4825.jpg

And the journey continued Bomdilla to Dirang. We first thought of stopping at Bomdilla but made it to Dirang late evening night.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4828.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4829.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4832.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4833.jpg

Just before entering Dirang, in the all the darkness, saw the Pemaling, the most known hotel, and took the up road to the hotel. But just beside that is the Govt Tourist Lodge and luckily they had a room, for 800 it was almost a third price of Hotel Pemaling.

Finally at Dirang, a proper stop, not a worry now to start early, its all slow pace from now on. Wife and child in high spirits - got to salute them - it had been 46 hours of Safari journey from Calcutta to Dirang including the short 3+5 hrs [Siliguri+Guwahati] of night rest in the preceding 2 days.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4841.jpg

Tomorrow it was a lazy start, a good bath definitely for all of us, warm winter sun soaking our backs, as said it was all slow pace from now on as to enter Tawang on day 4.

contd..

Last edited by adc : 16th March 2010 at 15:34.
adc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2010, 16:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

ADC,

Another good one!

And yes, a bit salute to your wife and kid! 46hrs journey!
Old 16th March 2010, 17:24   #28
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
ADC,

Another good one!

And yes, a bit salute to your wife and kid! 46hrs journey!

Thanks HW. The biggest salute would be for the child, as like other travels he enjoyed it fully and was at ease with the surroundings and thus we also were free of any tensions or worries.

Most importantly he finished all his pending homework the day he came back after a similar gruelling journey - the pep talk for him - another big journey coming up on a next big holiday and possible only if he finishes all that is remaining, and you should see him go for it - finished all study work in a couple of hours flat!

Last edited by adc : 16th March 2010 at 17:32.
Old 16th March 2010, 18:19   #29
BHPian

Anirban ,

looks like you changed your tyres ,
what is the brand, model and price of
these beauties please ?

I saw in one of the photograph. one of the
gentleman is wearing T-BHP polo shirt,
from where you can get It ?

Cheers
Old 16th March 2010, 21:52   #30
adc
Senior - BHPian

Day #4 - Dirang to Tawang via Sela Pass

Day #4 - Dirang to Tawang via Sela Pass

Quote:
Around 140 km from Tawang. Dirang lies in the West Kameng district. Dirang is ideal for Trekking and hiking and the attractions of Dirang include Kalchakra and Ngingmapa Monastery, YakResearchCenter, Sangti Valley, kiwi and apple orchards, hot-water springs et al.

It's a great sunny morning next day, a good hot bath, and I find son taking all the sun possible!

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4849.jpg

And I join him as we say "good morning" to the AP2AP team. The next 2 pictures from Nazim's [pulsar56] post

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-dsc_1373.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-dsc_1376.jpg

Dirang early morning from our hotel parking
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4848.jpg

Have heard Sangti Valley being a great place to laze about and kept it for the return journey as will be going through Dirang again.

As one gets out through the town, hot spring comes across first beside the Driang Chu [River]. Nothing much to see just some hot water coming out from a pipe with locals bathing but surrounding scenery was good.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4856.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4858.jpg

And journey continued through some good empty roads, fresh air, and totally in midst of nature

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4870.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4873.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4880.jpg

Quote:
Nyukmadong War Memorial

The Battle of Nyukmadong was fought on November 18, 1962 between 62 Infantry Brigade and the Chinese forces. The 62 Infantry Brigade was carrying out a tactical withdrawal from Sela under the command of Brig Hoshiar Singh while the Chinese forces had infiltrated from both east and west across Sela. As many as 12 units (both major and minor) formed part of the withdrawing force. A fierce battle ensued with the enemy. In the general area of Nyukmadong, a small village on the Dirang-Sela road, several officers, Junior Commissioned Officers and Other Ranks made the supreme sacrifice after inflicting heavy casualties on the enemy.

A memorial existed at Nyukmadong for many years. However, it was felt that it needed renovation and re-modelling befitting the enormous sacrifice made by the Army. The Ball of Fire Division commenced work on the re-modelling and renovation in November last year and it was completed in a record time of four months. The Nyukmadong War Memorial, located in almost 1.5 acres of land, overlooks the famous battle ground. It is unique in several ways.

The War Memorial is nestled on a hill-side in three tiers, sprinkled with beautiful coniferous tree. The main memorial is in the form of a 25-feet high Chorten conforming to the local ethos and traditions. The two entrances simulate the main access ways of a monastery in typical Buddhist style. Care has been taken to ensure that the environment and natural beauty is preserved.
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4888.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4889.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4890.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4891.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4894.jpg

The journey towards Sela Pass continued and some brief stops were made just to enjoy the place and drive.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4905.jpg

We were climbing up now towards Sela Pass at 13.5 k feet height and soon the snow line started

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4909.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4915.jpg

As we neared Sela, weather was changing and it was all misty but again it tempted us to have some breaks and just walk around feeling the coldness and all.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4933.jpg

The "avatar" snap

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4935.jpg

It was already late afternoon and now the visibility was exacerbated by the mist also as we neared Sela Pass.
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4931.jpg

contd..

Last edited by adc : 16th March 2010 at 21:55.
adc is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed